My son came out and his father has issues with it: Advice?

Get rid of the dad. And love that child unconditionally as his mama. Poor kid needs support, not rejection!

1 Like

Most parents would at first have issues with it. Parents need to digest these things, it’s a delicate situation to handle.

Man F@ck his daddy!! Let that kid be who he needs to be. And Love him unconditionally!! Anyone hindering the happiness of a child don’t need kids anyway!

Technically you don’t know if his dad has issues with it because he doesn’t know yet. He may change is tune once it comes to his own child. All you can do is make sure your child knows you love him and prepare him. Don’t sugarcoat. Be honest that there will be people that are going to judge or have issues with him. But he should love himself and not let negativity from others get to him.

1 Like

That’s a decision for the two of you to come up with together. Do you hide it for the sake of a relationship or do you tell him and risk him not talking to you anymore? To me if the father doesn’t talk to him anymore it’s not a loss at all. It’s like the trash taking itself out. :woman_shrugging:t2:

That’ll be the dad’s loss. Being gay doesn’t change who your son is. If the dad can’t understand that, then let him leave

1 Like

He is still young I know kids who are 12 who go by boy names instead of girl names it’s a thing right now with that age group I don’t know if they think it’s cool or something but just talk with him he is old enough to know if he is gay or not but some kids will also say they are when they aren’t. Be his support he needs and if his dad doesn’t want to see him anymore after he tells him it’s his loss

1 Like

Put it back in the closet

4 Likes

Sounds like dad doesn’t deserve a relationship with him

2 Likes

My son angrily told me that he told his mentor first before me he remembers the story is my friends and I would tell about gay bashing back in the day I did not realize how much harm I was causing him ignorance is no excuse but it is reality he naturally attacked me and told me I was a reason that he had hated himself my son loves and adores me he always has I could only imagine the damage I did to him but I always told him that he did not know who I really was after the fire and the Fury between him and I mostly on his part because he didn’t know who I really was I explained to him unconditional love is not part-time or only when it’s convenient and that I loved him unconditionally no matter who it was him and I are straight down because we were able to talk through what he meant to me and how sorry I was he just think I would never talk to him again he was wrong that was my fault I love all my kids unconditionally I always will

1 Like

While it sucks that his father may be unreceptive to his coming out, this is a very important lesson and can beat great teaching moment.
Not everyone is going to agree with the way you choose to live your life. Live out loud anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

My daughter asked if her dad would be ok with her being gay. I said if he’s not, I’ll find you a new dad that is. She said YAY!!! I said I’ll always have your back, baby girl. Kids come first. Bye, Felicia.

Stop the nonsense. At 10, he has no idea.

17 Likes

How is a kid gay at 10? Lmfaoooo wtf at 10 I was worrying about stuff a kid should not this bs

12 Likes

So much stupidity. A 10 year old can very much know if they’re gay or not.

4 Likes

Do 10 year Olds really know enough about sexual preferences? I would not have thought so…

16 Likes

Tell your son the truth. His dad loves him but is small minded and cannot deal. That he should live his life for himself, not his father.

3 Likes

He doesn’t need him in his life if he can’t except him

He’s 10. He knows nothing about his sexuality unless he’s having sex. . stop thinking this is ok. This is completely adult influence

2 Likes

Well if his father can’t accept him it’s better he’s not in his life

1 Like

He has failed as a father!

2 Likes

He only 10 and could just be a faz my daughter told me same thing when she was this age she’s not has a boy friend now they don’t know what there talking bout at only 10

12 Likes

He sees who he is and how his father behaves. All you can do is protect him from any extreme reactions and be there for him. People saying he’s too young have no knowledge about LGBTQ people and I worry for their kids. I was 8 when I realized I felt differently and came out as a lesbian. Now, I’m married to a woman. Maybe he’ll change and maybe not. It’s our job as parents to accept them as they are, always. You’re doing an amazing job♡

3 Likes

These comments. At 10 even earlier a child can know what they want! If a kid can say what they want to be when they grow up they can know their orientation.
Let your child be who they want to be!

5 Likes

Encourage your son to be who he is. If his father is barely in his life now, it won’t be much of a loss. Besides, he shouldn’t want anyone in his life who doesn’t accept him for who he is, blood or not! Remind him that YOU will always be there, no matter what.

3 Likes

All of these people saying at 10 he doesn’t know what his sexual orientation is should be ashamed of themselves!

3 Likes

Maybe his father is having a hard time with it. It’s ok NOT to be happy about something like this. Maybe he needs sometime to deal with it first. Could even be a phase, 10 is kind of young to know IMO.

8 Likes

He should be more focussed on school work and sports! Lol he’s 10 not 16

19 Likes

There is not one mold for people. Truth.

All these comments about his age are uncalled for. I’ve known I was gay since I was like 6, even growing up in a homophobic household. All these people are also the ones asking their two year old if they have a girl/boyfriend.

Don’t let him be your child’s bully.

13 Likes

Throw the whole Dad out. Seriously though, if he can’t love and accept his child, he does not deserve his child. It sounds like he’s not very involved anyway. Instead of rejecting his kid, maybe he should ask himself what he’s done/said to make his child afraid to open up to him like he has to you. Good job being his safe place, Momma.

4 Likes

My daughter came to me and told me she was bi. She is 10. These kids are trying to figure out who they are. All they are really seeing is if their parents love them unconditionally. I don’t care if she likes boys or girls, put school first.
If my daughter does decide to just be with girls, I won’t have to worry about teen pregnancy so much! We live in the bible belt, so she had a lot of older generational people tell her that it’s between a man and a woman. :roll_eyes:
Personally? I think it’s a fad to be gay or bi for kids. Don’t freak out too much about it. It is what it is. Can’t make the gay go away.

7 Likes

Let your son know that first of all his sex life/preference is literally nobody’s business even parents
Only job of parents is accurate education and emphasis on safety and being with someone who respects you
And second don’t worry about homophobes because they’re allllll secretly gay :wink:

Encourage him to be himself. Whether it’s a phase or not at least he will know he was accepted no matter what.

He might not really even be gay I would get him in counseling and if the dad isnt okay with it nobody can force him to that’s up to the dad and his own person beliefs.

1 Like

Accept your children for who they are or get out of their life… Oh this makes me so mad…

1 Like

Y’all weird asf saying 10 is too young as if y’all never had a crush before that age.

Would you think that same way if they said they were straight? :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

From experience, it helps having another accepting loving parent. Maybe the step mom can chime in on father to stop and let him be himself, and just keep his mouth closed of any Ugly remarks. Sometimes it’s a phase sometimes it’s not. What’s important to a parent should first be their happiness. If a child feels unaccepted to the parents they will hurt and sometimes it results into doing harm to themselves. It’s always better to let them like who they like at that age or older love who they love or find who they are… and keep your child happy and alive rather than regretting what harm you’ve caused in the aftermath. It really helps with the other parent just saying I love and accept you the way you want to be no matter what. Also the father needs to be sat down and told that it’s unacceptable to make the child feel uncomfortable or unaccepted. Maybe step mom (if there is one) can be the one to make sure father doesn’t be hateful and to watch what he says.

My son said this at 10 also. He’s now 13 and told me he was wrong. Let it be.

2 Likes

I think now would be the perfect time to sit him down and explain to him that toxic people come in all forms. Often, they are related to us. Let him know that he is the one that must live with himself for the rest of his life and he needs to be his own advocate and love himself more than anyone else. It’s perfectly acceptable to put yourself and your own life above others that refuse to love unconditionally and be supportive. Attempting to hide such a huge aspect of his life just to potentially have a relationship with someone who cannot even be a supportive and loving figure in his life now is just not worth it. He has you and that’s all he needs right now. Don’t ever tone yourself down for others because at the end of the day, you only have to answer to yourself for the choices you make.

4 Likes

Give him some time :woman_shrugging:t2: everyone has different feelings about the topic and you can’t force someone to be ok with it. Give him some time to come around to the idea, it’s his child, he won’t stay mad or upset or whatever long

So let your son make that decision on whether to tell him. If he wants to be a pos over your childs sexual orientation he doesnt need him. Its clear he hasnt been around enough anyways.

1 Like

My daughter came out to me about 6 months ago as a lesbian and I never hesitated to tell her how proud I am of her being a 16 year old with severe depression and anxiety having the courage to come out :heart: her father is in dental but the way I see it is if he wants to be in her life ever then he can accept her for who she is or keep having no contact as he hasn’t even spoken to her since she was 12 :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

My daughter came out to me about 6 months ago as a lesbian and I never hesitated to tell her how proud I am of her being a 16 year old with severe depression and anxiety having the courage to come out :heart: her father is in dental but the way I see it is if he wants to be in her life ever then he can accept her for who she is or keep having no contact as he hasn’t even spoken to her since she was 12 :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Glad your son is being who he wants to be if dad cant accept him for being gay .then he’s not a real dad because if you loved him it doesn’t matter where he’s gay or straight .tell ure lad I’m a nanny and I’m so proud of him and if he was my grandson I would just hug and say I’m so proud of you xxx

2 Likes

Do you think them saying stemmed from an incident or maybe being taught that or bullied? I would first ask him why he says that and how he decided. What made him think this?? Just so many questions.

5 Likes

When I was 9 I got mad at my at my sister and called her a motherFer. My dad ask if I knew what that was, I said yes. He ask me to tell him what a MF was. I said I don’t know, so he told me how my sister could not be a mother-xucker. I find it hard to understand how a 10 year old can even really understand what it means to be gay. There is a difference in liking boys and being homosexual. It’s normal at that age for boys and girls not to like each other.

8 Likes

He’s 10 he has no idea. He is just expressing and trying to find himself. Too young to even know

7 Likes

I have a very toxic person in my family that i have had to cut out because he shunned my brother for being bisexual but not myself. My children are not heterosexual either, they feel they are their own things. I fully support them in how the feel and refuse to let the toxicity of a family member cause them harm. They know and understand why we dont talk to this person. It hurts them of course but they would rather be loved for who they are and not have to pretend to be something they are not.
You child has the right to feel how they do, and thus decide for themselves if or when they are comfortable talking to others about it. I agree with sitting them down and talking to them about how others may react but tell him not to let it define him. If the person in question doesnt support their child then they shouldnt be a parent to them. You just keep on being the great parent you are and your child will know that you are always in their corner and that is what matters.

Give him time he might not be gay but either way his father should support him

Don’t mind the stupid judgmental people in here a 10 year old is old enough to know he’s gay/straight/bi/pan its who they feel attracted to saying 10 years old is to young is bull when in fact most kids have crushes on kids they like at a younger age it took some guts for that child to come out and me being apart of the lgbtqia is a Huge thing screw his dad if he can’t love and accept his child then did he even really love him in the first place it shouldn’t matter if your child is gay straight or trans you should still love them. I’m sorry his dad isn’t supportive

Y’all saying he has no idea is weird. At that age we knew we liked who we liked. Support your kids and stop trying to change them to fit into the bubble you think is ‘right’

8 Likes

At ten years old he doesn’t even what shirt he is wearing the next day let alone what he wants to be

6 Likes

I would tell my son not to worry about those feelings and just enjoy being a child . And as you grow older I will support you and love you what ever you decide. Your father may or may not be able to understand but you and I will work on that together.

4 Likes

I knew I was into girls from the age of 8. Wasn’t sure about boys.

To this day I still like girls, I’m 24 and never stopped from the age of 8. But realized I also liked boys at around the age of 11 or 12.

Either way, its very possible that he DOES know what he likes. I know first hand.
Just explain to him the best you can that if he does decide to tell his dad and his dad isn’t supportive like he wishes he will be. That YOU will always love him regardless and YOU will always be proud of him.

10 is still a little young since he has many more years of puberty coming up. But of course support your child, just let him know you love him and you’re always there for him no matter what. Then talk to him about the people that are safe in his life to share his most personal thoughts and feelings. Make him aware that there are very few. His Dad should be one of them, but he isn’t. And we need to accept people for who they are.

1 Like

Here is my opinion and thoughts- sexuality is pushed harder and harder, younge and younger and being gay/bi is a trend right now. This per my middle schooler and her friends “mom, your cool right now if your bi/gay, these kids all want to be in the trends.” FIRST- I am not saying this is YOUR child. I’m saying- kids and sexuality isn’t something that needs to be focused on at 10. I would likely sit down and ask then what that means and why they feel that way and then hug them, loved them and softly discuss sexuality in a way they would understand. It’s a hard subject, I might speak to his dad first and test the waters. If the dad is unopened I would remind my kiddo. - we all get choices in this life, some will like our choices and others won’t. We can choose to respect someone’s choices or not. This thought process is about all choices- who I marry, where I go to school- what friend I have. Sometimes people don’t agree, that’s not our Cross to carry, we love them even if they don’t agree. Sometime we have to love from a distance but you still love. - that’s how I would handle at least (not saying my ways the right way or perfect.)

5 Likes

Who knew what and where at 10 years old

3 Likes

Make your son feel as valid and accepted as you possibly can, make sure that kid knows he’s loved on your front. I’d say it be better in this situation to talk to the dad yourself, save your son any hurtful words that might come out of shock. See where the dad stands and take it from there.

1 Like

You love him bigger, louder and fuller. Support him in every way.

2 Likes

My Daughter is gay She knew from a very young age that she was gay But didn’t enter a relationship until she was an adult Now she’s marrying a woman in July & I couldn’t be happier for her I’m gaining the best Daughter in law ever :heart:

6 Likes

My Daughter is gay She knew from a very young age that she was gay But didn’t enter a relationship until she was an adult Now she’s marrying a woman in July & I couldn’t be happier for her I’m gaining the best Daughter in law ever :heart:

He doesn’t need a father who doesn’t support him, especially if he is supported elsewhere.

I had zero support when I came out and it sucked royally. I was homeless for a bit as a result, but I was still happier not having to live a lie anymore.

4 Likes

I guess you need to chat with his dad and give him a chance to get his head in check. Many ppl are sadly against things until it is someone they love, but we all know this isn’t always the case.
You need to protect your son, even if it’s from his father.

3 Likes

For all of those people in here saying 10 is too young… Yall are too old too be this dense. Lmfao :rofl:

7 Likes

How does a 10 year old even know what gay is :woozy_face:

5 Likes

It would be wrong for the father to support something that’s wrong.

11 Likes

He may be better off away from his dad if he’s going to verbally abuse the child because he is gay

3 Likes

How does a 10 year old child even know what gay is?

11 Likes

At 10yo!? Give me a damn break. Odds are he hasn’t even hit puberty yet and doesn’t even comprehend what Gay is. If he does, he’s being influenced or had the idea incepted.

He’s not obligated to come out to unsafe people. Also he’s only ten, so he has lots of time to come out to his father when he’s a little older.

4 Likes

Damn look at this. 10 years old gay ? What do they know?

He is only 10-----Good chance he will change his mind.

3 Likes

It’s never OK to out someone else. If his Dad is homophobic, address that issue directly rather than outing your child. Also, provide your child with access to therapy so they can process their own relationship with their sexuality and how they want to express it to the people in their life going forward.

1 Like

10 is very young to even know that. He could be confused…. Either way, it’s very hard for straight man to accept his SON is gay especially if he’s religious at all. No one should judge someone that’s very religious on how they feel GOD accepts this. Eventually he’ll come to terms with it if he’s really gay …. He may not ever like it or want to talk about it but if he loves his son he’ll love him no matter what. If he’s really religious he may never because you’re supposed to love God above all others. Today’s society doesn’t make anything easy on these kids, confusing the hell out of them and even brainwashing them to follow the PC crowd … people coming up with all kinds of genders and sexualities … it’s just insane. Leave our children alone! Let them figure out who they are on their own!

7 Likes

Melcy Heart get in here! :exploding_head: oh the ignorance…

3 Likes

I guess when it comes to kids that age how do they know if they are gay or not if they are not even old enough to be sexually active and know for sure that he prefers boys, carful kids this young it’s got a lot to do with someone influencing them into it more then it actually being their realization

5 Likes

Chrissy I did not know your daughter was gay what did the family think about it

He knows there’s something different about him but he might not know he gay until someone tells him that

2 Likes

I’ve worried about one of daughter’s friend his father would’ve hurt son if he’d ever found out…they’re all out of college now and young man is away-he came out to his mom recently.

I was 13 when I knew I was bi. My parents was understanding but my grandpa wasn’t and had strong opinions about it. If his dad has a issue with it then his dad don’t need to be in his life he needs positive people the world is already a dark place don’t let negative people dull his shine

1 Like

I would let him tell his dad when he wants to.Until then,just love him and guide him.Let him know that,its okay to be who he is.

3 Likes

It’s our job as a parent to support and love our children unconditionally. I don’t care if my son or daughter is gay bi or Trans I will protect my child’s well being from the ignorance. I’d accept and love my child period.

3 Likes

Wtf worlds gone crazy’s gay at 10yrs old can’t even comprehend with that :poop: don’t blame hubby but today’s world anything goes cause the worlds lost the plot

4 Likes

Trust me I don’t believe he even knows what emotion he’s feeling…if he is that’s cool…then handle it as single mom…you can’t rely on dad…and his “feelings” have nothing to do with either of you…

2 Likes

I would suggest that he wait until he’s a little older.

5 Likes

Wow. I’ve seen some highly uneducated posts here.

Kids are expressing their sexuality earlier largely because they’re hitting puberty earlier. Plenty of parents of kids who came out during their late teens or early twenties have said they knew their kids were gay from the time they were 5.

It’s all good, people. Don’t question the kid. How does someone know they’re straight at 10? See how weird the question sounds when flipped on its head?

It sounds like you’re divorced from his father, since your son rarely sees him. Keep loving your son and ask a local LGBTQ+ group how to handle this. This forum sadly is the wrong one. I don’t have experience with this, so I’m hesitant to give specific advice. Maybe the questions to ask are:

1. How is your son’s current relationship with his father?

2. What’s the worst thing that could happen if he knows?

3. What’s the best thing that could happen?

Bear in mind that as your son goes through puberty, he might naturally need his dad more.

14 Likes

Honestly fuck all the ppl here saying he’s too young or just ‘don’t be gay.’ Your son feels good being able to confide in you and don’t ruin that by telling him he doesn’t know what he wants or should not act on it. Allow him to express his feelings without judgment and if his father wants nothing to do with him then guess what, time for divorce/separation or just no contact. Kids have a hard enough time growing up these days and shouldn’t fell bad for expressing how they feel. Even if he ‘grows out of it’ later in life he’ll know he can trust YOU with anything he needs to get off his chest.

10 years old. Come on.

8 Likes

It’s best son stays away from father

1 Like

Your son needs to be himself. It’s hard to bear when someone we love won’t love us for who we are, but he shouldn’t expect to sacrifice his wellbeing for anyone’s approval. Dad’s possible mistake belongs to Dad. If he forfeits his relationship and can’t see beyond his homophobia, it’s his own loss. I hope your sweet son can learn to move on and create a life full of people that cherish him.

Any guy, lesbian, bi person I’ve ever known, which is ALOT… has said they knew VERY young. Yes ask if he’s sure and how he knows. But people saying it’s because of social media is usually not the case. Social media and internet just means it’s more aware plus times are better (not great) for people to feel safe coming out. Not once did she say she is pushing being gay on him. And even kids realize being different is hard, the fact this kid is opening up to his mom whether he’s straight, gay, bi or whatever is great. And the fact that adults are saying wtf is wrong with this world bc of a 10yr Olds courage is what’s disgusting. She didn’t say she’s forcing anything, letting him alter his body or anything. God forbid a mother be supportive of her child whether it’s a stage of curiosity or confusion or he’s sure he has 1 parents support…

2 Likes

Any gay, lesbian, bi person I’ve ever known, which is ALOT… has said they knew VERY young. Yes ask if he’s sure and how he knows. But people saying it’s because of social media is usually not the case. Social media and internet just means it’s more aware plus times are better (not great) for people to feel safe coming out. Not once did she say she is pushing being gay on him. And even kids realize being different is hard, the fact this kid is opening up to his mom whether he’s straight, gay, bi or whatever is great. And the fact that adults are saying wtf is wrong with this world bc of a 10yr Olds courage is what’s disgusting. She didn’t say she’s forcing anything, letting him alter his body or anything. God forbid a mother be supportive of her child whether it’s a stage of curiosity or confusion or he’s sure he has 1 parents support…

2 Likes

These kids can’t even lead a normal life anymore because of all the hype about gays and trans. When we were that age we probably didn’t know any difference.

5 Likes

My one and only question there is no way a ten year old child can be gay or decide to be that I’m sorry

5 Likes

My advice let kids be kids, we sexualize everything now. Sex is everywhere, if he happens to like boys more now then fine. But have him be with all peers, I think it’s thrown in the kids faces earlier and earlier. He’s 10 have him experience different things, arts, sports, etc. Kids do need our support just give him love and give him confidence in what he likes to do. He doesn’t need to decide anything yet… the brain doesn’t fully develope we know until early 20s. He’s got a lot of growing up to do yet.

He’s 10… I don’t even think he fully understands what that even means or entails

1 Like

One of the things I said was that if the person can’t accept them for who they are that it’s their lost. Your beautiful smart and still the same person but now you know for sure on who you are and I’m proud of you for that I’m proud for the braveness you have and for trusting me enough to tell me I love you so much​:sob::yellow_heart:

I would definitely say maybe wait till he is a little older to tell dad and not because he shouldn’t know but because if he denies or is too homophobic to accept his son then your son will be old enough to emotionally process things ofc with the help of mama and all his support system💛

Good luck mama🤍

1 Like