My son doesn't try at the sports I make him play...advice?

Let him pick what he wants to do. Some people aren’t into sports

Limit the snacks. Get him a trainer that can help with exercise
Sports aren’t for everyone.

Stop making him smh your the problem

Don’t MAKE him do sports…let him WANT to do them

Stop signing him up for things he is not interested in, and stop buying junk food.

Take him to doctor to make sure he is ok, like thyroid??

2 Likes

Don’t force him to do sports
If he doesn’t want to
Offer healthy snacks such as trail mix , fruit salad , home made biscuits and cake
Also make up a dip and cheese platter that includes carrot sticks and celery sticks
As for eating heaps at dinner time
He is probably going through growth spurts
My 16 yr old Grand son will eat a huge meal for dinner as well as seconds if there are no left overs He will make some sandwich’s

Instead of forcing him to do something you know he does wanna do, find something he would enjoy.

Your the parent. You have control over all his portions and the food in the house.

Don’t force him to live your dreams.Let him be himself

If you don’t want him eating junk food, don’t buy junk food. It is isn’t in the house it’s less easy to access.

Stop making him. Find out if he’s into crafts or checkers, etc…Don’t buy the him food though. That’s not just because weight that’s just health

Quit making your kid play sports that’s ridiculous

Prayers for your son :pray: :blue_heart:

1 Like

Maybe try out scouts my boy is 2 years in almost he loves it

I feel like this is a troll question…
Cuz who in the hell would be so judgmental about their kid!! You’re the problem. You force the kid not ask the kid about their interests?! That’s narcissistic af. Try not being such a jerk and do better at being nice to your kid.

You used the word MAKE
That’s your problem right there.

Don’t make him. Let him choose

“snacks on junk all day,” who is buying the junk?

Why make him play? You sound pretty odd making that statement. If he don’t want it then you must be doing it for yourself?

Have him checked for thyroid inbalace.

Don’t allow junk at all 3 balanced healthy meals 2 snacks don’t allow anything else and keep up the sports!

Stop making him play something he has zero interest in. No wonder he gives no effort. Maybe, just maybe you sit down with him and find out what would make him happy. Forcing him to go to the gym won’t make him get engaged. If likes walking do it outdoors and walk with him. How’s he eating junk food if you say you are buying healthy foods? Find out who your son is. Find out his hobbies, his likes and dislikes then go from there. Sounds like you want to live vicariously through him but you are not him.

1 Like

Why do you buy all the junk?? He only eats what YOU provide

Why force a kid to play sports he doesn’t like ? Find him a hobby he likes.

Never force your kid to play a sport they DO NOT want to!!

3 Likes

Take him out hiking, teach him about the nature and animals and maybe photography.
Look for groups for kids that aren’t about playing sports. Take him to a bookstore or library and show him all the options of what he can learn from books. If he wants to watch tv :tv: put on documentaries.
He may be interested in history or who knows what. Start him on a second language. Slowly give him smaller portions and add more veggies. Not fruit. Have ziplock bags ready with healthy snacks so he has no other choice. Throw out the junk food and teach him about benefits from healthy eating.

Stop forcing him!!! You aren’t helping anything by doing that

Tell him he’s going to do an activity and you’ll leave it up to him which one.

How good is consent.

You should try it.

The body shaming your kid must go through from you :grimacing:

1 Like

He doesn’t try because…HE DOESNT WANT TO DO THEM

We just found the joys of family disk golf it’s fairly inexpensive and some you can do together competitive only against your own best if you choose it to be you get outside walking and a work out from throwing bonus there are tons of courses

First stop signing him up for sports. Second thing get him to a therapist. The third thing is keeping going to the gym and walking. He needs to be sorted out. You don’t know what’s in that little head, and apparently he’s not telling you. Most of the kids in sports are there because they want to be. You’re doing an injustice to your child and to the team. Find out who your child is before you try to make him to something he is not.

1 Like

Stop forcing him so kids just aren’t into sports.

Stop making your child do things they don’t want to do that they don’t have to. Sports should be enjoyed not be torture for a kid. Leave him tf alone. He will on his own find an activity he will like, specially with friends. That is t the case yet, so leave him be. You are creating issues in your relationship by forcing your child. Stop buying junk or limit it to one snack a day. Some people make trays with the snacks for the day the kids can pick from and then nothing else.

Healthy weight is 70% diet.
Cut out the junk food and that will help.

Try Boy Scouts

Get him to a Dr. Based on his workup, look into a Nutirionist. There shouldn’t be any diets. A lifestyle change matters more than any diets. And it’s healthier.
Stop forcing sports on him. Ask him about his hobby interests and sign him up for that. Anything else is a waste of money and bad for his self esteem.
Stop buying junk. If it isn’t there he can’t eat it.
More importantly, see about a therapist. If there’s nothing medically wrong, it could be psychological. They can give you and him tools to help.
Encourage him. Talk to him and hear him. Don’t talk at him. Validate what ever he is going thru and try to help him.

You haven’t said one positive thing about your child. Is this what it’s like for him at home? Perhaps this is the issue…

17 Likes

I would try swimming! Kids love the water and its a great activity… win win! And also I would limit snacks that you buy, string cheese and nuts and jerky, some fruits also but not to many because they are full of carbs and sugar! Good luck momma!

1st mistake is why are you forcing him I’d he’s not interested that’s a huge problem :thinking:

Don’t keep the junk food in the house. Don’t buy soda and I’ll allow him to choose his activities. Junk food is addictive. If it’s there he’s gonna eat it if it’s not there then it’s a treat you just buy every once in a while and consume that that day, you got this Momma I’ve been through this I promise you got this

Try and create new eating habits. Most importantly I think you need to get to the root issue on why he eats this way. Mentally something is going on and I would start there. Therapy nutritionist etc.
does he have friends? does he socialize at school ,feel included in things? These all have a significant influence on unhealthy eating habits. There is definitely a reason.

Turn off the wifi and dont have junk in the house. ?

1 Like

He might not be a sports kid…my kid is the same but loves computers and coding. She’s doing great in school and I’m encouraging computers n coding. Might be a more technical or engineering type person instead of a jock.

Not all kids are into sports. Limit electronics. Go for walks and hikes with him. Teach him about nature. Take him swimming. The Lowes here has activities that kids can do that involve building things & using tools. There is cub scouts. Summer camps. The local community center should have activities. There is also usually an event calender for your community online. Or there are groups you can follow that will tell you about local activities. Buy him a bicycle, basketball, jump rope, and 5 - 10 lb handheld weights (YouTube instructions). Encourage him to play with other kids his age in the community. Don’t force him. Go to the park with him often and take outdoor activities for him to do. Take enough for other kids who will be at the park and he can learn to enjoy interacting with other kids. Cornhole. Horseshoes. Badminton. Nerf guns & targets. Etc… Buy healthy snacks. Fruit nuts & lean protein. Don’t buy junk. Limit sodas to one a day, only special occasions, or none at all. Get portion control dishes & teach him about food groups & appropriate portions. Only allow seconds of vegetables and lean meat (healthy stuff) No seconds on breads, starches, sweets, etc.

I would be going to a doc, nutritionist and possibly therapy for the weight. Play with him, rather than make him play on a team or something just be active with him and find common activities you both like

Is this some type of satire? I really hope it is because if it isn’t shame on you. You do not get to decide who your children are. You can guide them and you can encourage them, but the choice is up to them. Forcing people to do anything is always going to backfire. And besides all of that, he is going to resent you and cut off contact with you the minute he turns 18. You need to stop thinking about yourself and your ideals of what your son should be and start thinking about who he is as a person and embrace it.

You’re also buying the junk. Don’t buy it. You can’t make him play sports. Not all kids are sporty, but you can encourage exercise by sending him outside to play and healthy eating by only buying healthy food.

Hopefully I’m not the only one but if I was made to do that many sports and burning energy like that regularly, all I would wanna do is rest on the couch too. And eat because growing child plus that many sports makes hungry kids…

I agree with all these comments. Don’t buy junk type snacks. Buy healthy snacks. Fruit. Veg trays. Granola bars and such. When it comes to signing him up for stuff, you’re making him do something he doesn’t want to do, so that’s why he’s doing the bare minimum. Sit and talk with him and see what he actually likes. Limit video games / screen time, but tell him he needs to get up and be more active. He doesn’t realize it now because he’s a kid, and kids think they know everything, but he will feel so much better once he gets up and is active, but it has to be something he wants to do, not something he’s being forced to do.

Let him pick what he wants to do. Forcing a kid to play a sport they don’t want to play isn’t fair to him or the other kids on the team.

How about asking him what HE would be interested in, not what YOU want him to do.

Limit the junk food in the house and limit screen time but in my opinion, never make a child play a sport. That’s not going to do anything positive for you or him.

Get rid of junk food. Limit screen time. And don’t force him into sports he doesn’t want to play.

Stop signing him up. At this point and at this age, a team needs a player that is committed not someone who is forced to play who doesn’t try. I see signing him up once to see if he likes it, but don’t do that to that child or to that team who is depending on their teammate to pull their weight.

Baby fat is a thing… I was 170+ish when I was 15/16… by 20s my metabolism leveled out.

You’re forcing your child into activities he is not interested in? Ew, you sound like you’re trying to live your failed life through him. Stop! Forcing anyone is abusive .

“I make him play”

That’s the kicker.

Stop making him and find something he enjoys.

Don’t buy the junk he snacks on!!

What a way to talk about your child

Forcing a child to do anything against their will is going to have the potential to give them a negative relationship with whatever is being forced(exercise). Set boundaries instead… Start giving the amount of time on the games that he spends outside. Yes momma he’s gonna hate it at first but building a healthy mind set isnt “fun”
I ONLY allow 2 hours of gaming time and that is AFTER his “chores” are done. My child is also not a fan of sports. We tried football twice and baseball once he absolutely hated every minute. Lol but now he is asking about karate on his own accord. Sometimes it’s easier to ask what his friends are into and ask if he wants to do what his friends are doing(how we got football the second time) mine still hated it but it’s worth a try. Outside play time is a part of our daily routine. In my home junk snacks are available but limited and treated like dessert, it’s a treat not a snack. I make a snack tray that consists of grapes, frosted animal crackers, yogurt and a small handful of chips… That is the afternoon snack plate after school & that’s all he is allowed to have until dinnertime. At dinnertime I plate everyone so I control the portions.

Wow! Forcing a child to do something and they don’t try. I wonder why? Jesus

Stop forcing your son to compete in sports he doesn’t want to!!
Imagine being ‘forced’ to do physical activity.
Hell no. Find what interests him.
Stop buying him crap junk food.