My Son & I Want a Cat, But My Boyfriend Refuses Because His Family, Who Never Comes Over, Is Allergic

I have known many people with pet allergies that have pets and I know many people with pet allergies that dont have pets. I can respect your partners for sharing his voice and opinion on the subject and the consideration of other family members. I am sure he even respects your desire for one and feels possibly bad in his refusal…But from a medical standpoint. You may have no idea, the severity of the allergy they have, where you partner may have an idea that his families allergies can put them into shock requiring hospital treatment. Also at the end of the day, being a parent, there are things you don’t want your kids to ever experience and witness, as it can case trauma and if you have no experience in handling that sort of thing, and the worst happens your son will be traumatised, and the point of your partner is that you shouldn’t have a pet or expose your pet to if you have or other people have those kind of allergies. It doesn’t matter if they see you people once a year or visit everyday, its based on the severity of the allergy and your capabality is the worst has happened. You may need to undergo an allergy course for pets to convince your partner to agree. Otherwise you discuss with his family about pets they don’t have allergies too and consider that as the best path to take for an animal companion

1 Like

If they’re allergic (depending on how severe the reaction is) and you go to their house with cat hair on your clothes …?

8 Likes

There are cat breeds that are hypoallergenic . Why can’t you just compromise and find a breed that is hypoallergenic and his family won’t have any reaction if for whatever reason they do decide to stop by. Research breeds and talk it over with him. He might change his mind.

Coming from someone that is allergic to cats I give your man kudos for being considerate of his family members. Cat allergies for myself are more irritating than dog allergies. My family does not do cats. My daughter is also allergic.

Lmao. I’m sorry. I don’t mean to laugh.
But does he live every detail for others that don’t live in his household?

8 Likes

My mom is super allergic to cats to the point if someone even has cat hair and stuff on them when they come over, she has a reaction. I guess it all depends on how allergic they are? Lol cause my moms is so bad her eyes swell and she’s itchy and watery eyes and she can’t breathe right for a couple days.

Of you go over there and you have cat hair on you and your son, you will cause reactions and there is no way to avoid that when you have cats. If you care about your partner. You need to care about his family because he does

2 Likes

Get a CAT- he is just being a controlling clod

2 Likes

You change you life for your kids and those family members living in your home. Not potential guests and people that don’t visit. Get the cat 🤷

17 Likes

I guess it would depend on how allergic they are… like when you go to their house are they going to have a reaction?

Get a cat. Get a couple of kitties he’ll go with it if they already there and have proper necessities at least it worked for me lol

1 Like

My husband is allergic to cats. Guess what he took allergy meds. And sucked it up.

5 Likes

Compromise and get 2 cats

20 Likes

Hypoallergenic cat. We are on a list to get one. It’s a Balinese cat. My son is allergic to cats but wants one badly .

7 Likes

key word rescue* a kitty :cat::cat2:

1 Like

Is his home too, so should be agreed upon…

1 Like

Get a bald cat. No allergies. Problem solved.

Keep a box of reactine in the house :joy: problem solved :ok_hand:

1 Like

Get a cat. Get ride of the boyfriend. Or get the cat and bring Benadryl home and slap it by the front door.

5 Likes

Tell him you want a sphynx cat. Problem solved

Hypoallergenic cat an option?

2 Likes

Life is short get that cat its happy time

Maybe Get a dog instead

Sounds more to me like HE doesn’t want the cat but doesn’t want to just say no…

1 Like

I’d respect my husband and his family …

1 Like

It’s your life… don’t let anyone tell u what u can and can’t do. I would get the cat!

1 Like

time to get rid of the boyfriend. This should be about what you all want not his family. My son in law is allergic to cats, yet he comes over, Yes he doesn’t stay long, but he does come over

1 Like

Come on. Get a cat. Why does the BOYFRIEND get the last say?

2 Likes

Put up your boyfriend for adoption and get a cat. Someone will adopt him and his relatives that scarcely visit.:heart_eyes_cat:

Get a damn cat an say fuck his family that doesnt even go to your house…

What is more important to you should be the question. Your relationship or a cat?

1 Like

Um i think hes in the right… Pet dander and fur get caught in your clothes and if you go over it can cause them to have a reaction now if they were just allergic to their saliva/touching them (in the way i am with dogs my skin will break out when a dog licks me or i pet them) but ive had 2 dogs for the last 8 years and i just suffer through the love​:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Hypoallergenic or hairless cat!!
He can’t just say “no youre NEVER getting a cat”. He has to compromise with you and your needs and wants just as much as you do his.
Him and his family could also take allergy meds :upside_down_face:
Animals hold a dear place in my heart especially cats. I would break up with someone over that if they weren’t willing to compromise

Leave him and get 5 cats. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Find a new boyfriend

1 Like

Why not get a pet they aren’t allergic to?

There are hypoallergenic cats, but I mean, they also have zyrtec! His family can take a pill when they see you IF cat dander on your clothes is an issue!

They can take allergy meds or stay outside. Or not visit , their choice . My mom is allergic to cats , my Dads allergic to dogs. They still visit , I have both ! Live your life !!

I’m allergic to dogs and I agreed to a dog so my husband and kids could have one… I’m the one who takes care of it too. Say to your boyfriend if the specific people who are allergic don’t come over within a time frame you’re getting a cat.
It’s not their house or decision, it’s 2 against 1. Get one

I’m also allergic but find that if I do not pet or touch the animal I’m ok. Love the animal from a distance… maybe he should too. Lol

I would get the damn cat :joy:.

My husband has some family that is allergic to cats… guess who has 3 cats and feral out door cat? :raising_hand_woman: cause it my house and they dont come over enough for me to choose my life style around them. Now I do take serious precautions when I know they are coming over. Still have yet to have one have a reaction to my cats. Just my take. If hes really adiment maybe he doesnt want the cat?

Get rid of the boyfriend… :wink:

If you go over there to their house often then out of respect I would not get one because the can dander and stuff will be on their clothes and stuff and I know it sucks but my older son who is 13 is allergic to cats and even if people ain’t around the cat they still carry on their clothes and other things like my son can’t be around people that have inside nor outside cats

I would consider what your boyfriend says. If you got a cat you wouldn’t be able to go near them because you would want to handle the cat and then you would have cat hair over your clothes and then if you went to see them and they had a real bad reaction it would be your fault. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t want to be to blame for something like that if you love your boyfriend.

Good reason not to visit the in laws…or have them visit you…
Wish I’d thought of that

My husband is allergic to everything and I have cats, dog, horses, hamster etc… He is here for the long haul!

We have 3 cats my husband, and brother are both allergic my brother has severe asthma and too we just keep the house deep cleaned when he visits and make sure he has all his allergy medicine

I think you need to examine weather a relationship with this man or a cat is more important to you. And if you can’t see eye to eye on this topic how are you and he going to handle bigger ones.

The family you came from is important but the family you made is the most important…Get the cat dog bird or whatever it is the kids will only be small once

1 Like

Just sounds as if he doesn’t want a cat :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Okay, probably gonna be unpopular opinion here, BUT… HE doesn’t want a cat.:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think that is so stupid/crazy for him to care more about his dad & sis about that you can’t have a cat cause of they’re allergic to cat’s :confused: Who cares what he says get one two or as much as u want

The solution here is simple: get a hypoallergenic cat. There are several breeds, with a sphynx being the most popular. This way, your family can have a cat but so long as you care for it properly, your cat should not cause allergic reactions in your boyfriend’s family members, should they visit you or you visit them.