My son is trying to be independent but gets very messy: Advice?

I need some advice, so my 11 month old boy wants to be independent only self-feeding allowed. And forget about spoon-feeding a tantrum is thrown I am tired of every breakfast, every lunch, and dinner bathing three baths a day is so much my 5 yr old son was not this independent before 1 yr old I need advice big time, and he only wants normal food baby food is no longer good enough for him. Please any advice at all I will be grateful

5 Likes

Just wipe him down and bathe him after dinner? Nothing wrong with an independent kid

8 Likes

Put him in a muddy buddy and have a specific area for his high chair. His intentions are amazing, embrace the mess :two_hearts:

1 Like

He can also take time to learn about cleaning too, kids love helping :slight_smile:

Sew him long, long-sleeved smocks that can just be pulled of and laundered. Make sure they have an easy neck opening. Then, you only have to wash his hands and face.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great! Such an independent little one. I used an old t-shirt from myself or dad. Just throw it over his clothes like a smock or apron type of thing to help control some mess.

I always let my kids feed them selves once the were able to grasp a spoon. I usually do wipe downs with a warm wash cloth after breakfast and lunch unless its horrible horrible. And then shower after dinner.

Its better to let them be independent. Being messily is part of the process but it helps them in the long run by doing themselves.

2 Likes

Iā€™d let my daughter wear a bib and diaper

Oversized T-shirts work wonders and a box of baby wipes Or a warm washcloth! Give less messy foods during breakfast and lunch then dinner give anything since a bath follows. Young independence is frustrating sometimes but be grateful and encourage it and it will get better!

3 Likes

My daughter is 17 months & has been feeding herself since before she was 1, she eats in just a diaper then bath after dinner

I did baby led weaning from six months the mess gets easier to deal with I feed my kid in close so I can just change his outfit and not have to bath him every meal. Now at 22 months he can feed himself with a fork and spoon he ate chicken noodle soup the other day out of a bowl by himself

My son is the same way and the same age, I just use wipes and keep wiping him up as he eats. Baths are saved for bed time so we can start over all clean in the morning

1 Like

Good before one is just for fun anyway. Take his shirt off, let him go to town and baby wipe him after.

1 Like

I fed my kids in just a diaper whenever possible. Youā€™re not going to win this battle at this age. You just gotta adapt to the phases right now. And I did baby led weaning, so I offered a lot of regular foods before a year old (within reason - it was age/developmental appropriate choices). The grater was my friend at this age, too. My kids had teeth by that age, so I was able to grate up fresh fruits and vegetables to make it easier to chew.

1 Like

Being independent is a good thing. It should be a fun educational experience.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to bathe your child after every meal. Just wipe the food off with a baby wipe. They need to learn to feed themself.

5 Likes

My son is 10 months old and Iā€™ve already accepted heā€™s gonna be a messy eater for the next 18 years. We knew kids would be messy when we had em right?

Please stop bathing your child after every meal. You are just asking for your baby to have skin issues.
Playing with food and being messy is 1000% normal for babies. Theyre learning. Thats what they do. Put them in a bib or oversized tshirt. It wont last forever.

22 Likes

We put a towel under my babes seat. You can also put an old shirt on him thays a bit longer to cover his legs a bit for feeding. We dont we let him fees in a diaper and use a wet cloth to clean him up. My babes wont use the baby spoons or forks so we bought shorter adult spoons and forks and he loves it. Yes feeding is messy for sure
But allow him to be independent. My babes we give a cloth to will wipe his seat and face. Consistency makes for routine. We also have him help clean the floor. This will pass just donā€™t stop him because its too messy

2 Likes

If youā€™re at home just strip him down to his diaper, then maybe you can just wipe him down with a warm washcloth ?:woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Donā€™t feed super messy foods with every meal. Kids donā€™t need a bath after things like dry cereal, cheese and crackers, pieces of meat, etc. A damp washcloth can take care of most things. Bathing a baby that often is just drying out his skin.
And at 11 months, if he doesnā€™t want the spoon then get rid of the spoon. I had one kid using her own utensils before a year old, spoon fork and knife! Had another kid who ate with his hands until closer to 2. As long as they were eating i didnā€™t care.

4 Likes

What are baby wipes foršŸ˜† just let him eat in a nappy!

1 Like

My son started around that age too, I just let the mess happen with soft table food he could handle. I just stripped him down and wiped him up afterwards, heā€™s got sensitive skin and couldnā€™t handle a bath 3 times a day

1 Like

Let him eat naked except for a diaper. Put a plastic ā€œsplat matā€ underneath the high chair. Weā€™d put the high chair outside and just hose down kid and chair after meals in the summer. Give him stuff thatā€™s not too messy. Beans, especially garbanzo beans, lentils, cut up tofu soaked in apple juice, soy sauce, chicken or beef broth, little sandwiches. Save the soupy, saucy stuff for dinner when youā€™re going to give a bath afterwards anyway.

3 Likes

let him be independent. I ended up just taking my sonā€™s shirt off at dinnertime and then just wiping him down afterwords. Itā€™s normal for them to want to be independent and feed themselves at this age.

1 Like

There is a bib that goes around their neck and over the high chair. Itā€™s called the all over bib. Let him be messy and learn!

Just cut up his food, put a mat on the floor and eat in peace. Your expectations are causing the tension

1 Like

so true you can bath them to much not good ror there skin

My daughter hated purees! Cut food small, look up blw and let him eat real food! All my kids hated being fed and wanted to do it themselves. Definitely agree w everyone saying to feed him naked. We still take my 3yos shirt off sometimes. We keep wipes in the kitchen or use a wash cloth. Kids make a mess!

Plastic bib with a food catcher, plastic mat on floor. Let him go for it!

Use those bibs that are full sleeves and a catcher at the bottom !:slight_smile:

1 Like

Things like scrambled eggs are perfect for the independent eaters :slight_smile:

1 Like

I work with 16month-3year olds theyā€™re always messy. Since itā€™s a daycare I cannot bathe each child but we put bibs on or paint shirts to prevent clothing from being dirty and then we wash them up with a wash rag and have them wash their hands after every meal.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with him not wanting ā€œbaby foodā€ my son ate exactly what we were eating but in smaller portions and that worked fine. Also stop with the 3 baths a day, itā€™s unnecessary and will relieve some of your stress and your water bill which must be extortionate! Get a flannel and wipe him down before he leaves the high chair. Let him eat without clothes on if you have to and if itā€™s not cold obviously. Get a wrap around bib or put a muslin cloth tucked in the top of his Tshirt and then the rest underneath the high chair table. Let him be independent, being a kid is all about exploring

4 Likes

One word. BIBADOO. :laughing: They are a lifesaver for us when he needs to eat but I need to keep him spotless to go somewhere lol

Perhaps look at this another way Mamaā€¦

Do you know how many parents would LOVE to have that problem?
It wonā€™t last forever. This is a part of your childā€™s learning & development.
Take a breather & praise your child for his independence. Have him help clean up. Give him a wet warm washcloth & show him how to wipe his face, hands, & perhaps even the floor or highchair. Sing songs & dance & laugh & enjoy this time & these memories, for you NEVER know what tomorrow holdsā€¦

Stop looking at the ā€œmessā€ & acknowledge the accomplishments your young son is making already!

7 Likes

My question is why 3 bathes a day? Let him live and be messy, nightly bathes are good.

6 Likes

Mat on the floor. Bibs with the little food catcher on the bottom and I used to let my kids eat meals naked to avoid soiling their clothing. Then they would get a wipe down and get dressed after eating. I would try and give them the least messy things I could but they always found a way lol

2 Likes

Kids are messy. Wipe them down with a baby wipe afterwards and call it a day.

3 Likes

Try being proud of his independence. My kids were like that and are awesome adults that still do everything themselves from cooking to building houses

2 Likes

My independent 7 month old. We get the baby food pouches from target and aldi

I donā€™t bathe after every meal. My son has been pretty much feeding himself since 8 months old. I take his shirt off and then just take him to the sink and splash water on his face and chest and wash hands. Takes maybe 3 minutes tops and we are good to go.

2 Likes

I feel her. Like I know it sounds like a bitch thing to say "I hate him being so independent " but I was there :rofl: its frustrating as hell cleaning up the same thing 30 times in the matter of 15 minutes. But honest advice , thug it out. Practice makes perfect, eventually heā€™ll get a lot better at using utensils and less messy quicker than other kids because heā€™s been doing it so long. Things are gonna be a whole mess right now, theyā€™ll be easier in the long run though. My sons 4, he gets up, grabs a snack and a juice and lets me sleep an extra hour on weekends :rofl: other kids donā€™t do that, encourage itttt

I just use a wet cloth or baby wipes. Why so many baths?

2 Likes

They have so many types of bibs you can use. Strip the baby down to nothing but a diaper and put the bib on. Let the baby eat and be prepared to clean him up with a wet washcloth when heā€™s done. My best advice Is to clean the tray, wipe the baby, clean the floor then release the baby. Other wise he might start playing with or trying to eat the food on the floor while youā€™re cleaning and create a whole new mess. Iā€™m on baby number 4 and used to be an early head start teacher before becoming a sahm. Preparation is key! Just know whatā€™s going to happen and breath through it. Itā€™s a normal part of development and will be over before you know it.

2 Likes

Get him almost naked before meals, use those big food catching bibs, and get extra wipes. Giving him a bath after every single meal must be exhausting for youā€¦not to mention it could dry out his skin and make him develop cleanliness issuesā€¦

2 Likes

Kids have to learn at some point. We did baby led weaning with both of our children. Sure, itā€™s messy in the beginning, but once they learn, thereā€™s no more mess. Let him feed himself. Let him learn. This is a huge step in development.

3 Likes

My son is 10 months old. He has been eating normal food since 7 months. It is ok to be messy. It is good for their development. Too many baths can be very bad for them. If they get messy just wipe them down with baby wipes. Being OCD about your 11 month olds eating habits is only going to stress you out. Let him be messy

1 Like

Use a warm wash rag and wipe him down when heā€™s done eating there is no need to bathe after every meal at all. My daughter gets a bath every other day or every 2 days cause she has dry skin already. Itā€™s normal right now. Let it be.

2 Likes

Look into baby led weaning for food ideas! But I agree baths arenā€™t necessary 3x a day! We did the self feeding from like 6m and never gave baths 3x a sayā€¦

1 Like

Buy a bunch of those plain white T-shirts, bibs with food catchers, and they sell mats to go under high chairs. Let him try to be independent. 3 baths a day is a bit excessive too, one a day will do just fine. Any more can dry his skin.

Warm wet wash cloth. No need to bathe 3 times a day. And thatā€™s very normal for babes age.

Try allowing him to hold 2 spoons while you feed so he has his hands occupied and still feels like he can eat himself between your bites

Get him down to diaper. Be thankful for the independence. Use a wash cloth after the meal.

They have to have that hand eye coordination, teaching their brainsā€¦itā€™s very crucial in their development.the right side of the brain learning left side of body to coincide later in life.

Get a dog? :rofl::rofl::rofl: my dog would happily clean up any messy child.

1 Like

Strip him down to his diaper when he eats and clean with wash rag or wet wipes. Itā€™s very normal for him to want to feed himself at this age.

1 Like

Let him learn, that is part of the process of developing their brains. Wash the baby with a wet wash cloth after meals.

Let him get messy, he needs to learn to feed himself. Clean him up with wipes or wet wash cloth, no need to bathe him after every meal. My oldest is almost 2 1/2 and he didnā€™t really start using spoons and forks until around 1 1/2, my youngest will be 1 in 2 weeks and self feeds but hasnā€™t figured out utensils yet. Itā€™s all part of the process, let him learn, messes can be cleaned up.

1 Like