My son leaks through pull-ups...advice?

My son is 5 and still wears pull ups overnight in case of accidents. When he does pee, it leaks through and still gets all over the bed. I recently bought a waterproof mattress cover but is there a way to stop it from leaking? He’s wearing size 5T and I buy the 4T/5t pull ups which seem to fit fine so I’m not sure what the issue is.

17 Likes

I’ve just recently got into a good routine for my 6 year old no water and hour before bed toilet before bed I get up around midnight sit him on the toilet and now he’s waking up to go toilet he still has accidents now and again but it definitely has been challenging yet he’s been out of nappies since 2 it’s just night times lol

I used the parents choice nighttime ones. They worked well for us.

I have 2 boys 6 and 7 and they both still wet the bed. We were having the same problem with leakage and was tried everything. I finally found some nighttime pull-ups and they’ve helped more than anything. They are both too small for the other nighttime pants.

Had the same problem. My child is autistic and is 9yrs old. He still needs pullups at night for the occasional accident. Switched to Goodnights which are for overnight protection. Much better than a traditional pull up. No more leaks. Also if you’re in between sizes, go to the next size up because it will have better absorption. I’m only speaking on what worked best for us.

The Goodnights or Ninjama brands are way better for overnights.

Goodnights or ninjas seem to be the best, normal pull ups don’t hold as much, my son had the same issue with pull up brand. Then I switched to Goodnight and they worked no leaks!

I have to use the goodnite brand for my son. I use maybe 2 or 3 a night also limiting the amount of fluids given at night too.

Goodnite brand always worked well for my son. He wore them until he was 6 with no leakage issues!

Switch to Huggies 360 they hold more than pull ups and overnights. They also come in size 7. They’re just like buying pull ups but hold more. Also try getting him to pee before bed it helps if their bladders don’t catch up to growth size. Which is why some kids still leak or pee the bed. They also don’t wake up on time to go pee. So trying a new routine will help them adjust. :smiling_face:

Because pull-ups aren’t meant for a lot of pee. They are for accidents. He’s more than likely peeing in them more than once. But I would wake him up every hour to use the restroom through the night and get him potty trained.

My son wet the bed until he was 8. I then bought an underwear alarm. Used it and in one night he stopped. It was incredible. I highly recommend getting one.

To my knowledge pull ups in general arent supposed to hold like diapers so theyre not gonna hold a nights. Either use a diaper or goodnight type diaper until the lil one can hold it enough to wake up and go. Nothing wrong with that at all. It can take them a min to figure it out. Some even until theyre in their teens.

Use the good nights, limit fluid intake a couple hours before bed (still let them have some water if thirsty), bathroom before bed. With diaper leakage it was the position of his selfie stick…

We had to wake ours up around 11 to go potty and back to bed

Get him to go potty before bed. Limit drinks as well. Try using underwear that way he’ll also feel if/when he’s wet and it might wake up and lessen it happening

1 Like

I’d try a different brand :person_shrugging: maybe limit how many drinks in the evening and then right at bedtime make sure he uses the potty. Hopefully he’ll start to wake up when he has to go soon.

5 Likes

Personally I think putting him in no pull up and big boy underwear is the way to go, obviously protect the mattress. I think he is comfortable in pull-ups which at 5 he shouldn’t be. Keep telling him what a big boy he is and I think you will see results soon, until then just keep a mattress protector on. The more you encourage and remind him he’s a big boy the more he will believe in himself and not want to wear pull-ups. Stick with the same routine every night.

5 Likes

Take nappy off, i found the issue was keeping the nappy on. My so has never wore a pull up for bed and only had 2 accidents the 1st 2 weeks, and literally never happened again. Hes now 7, same for my daughter, she took a bit longer but is totally dry. I never limit their drinks either as we live in a hot country.

Little swimmers helped at night for us

Goodnights pull ups or I would recommend getting up in the night and taking him to the bathroom. We had to do that with my son when he was that age. He just slept so hard he didn’t feel when he needed to go.

16 Likes

You can always add an incontinence pad inside for more absorption

Get men’s Tena’s, in the smallest size. My son was wetting the bed right up to his almost 8th birthday. We used those because of the amount of pee there was.

Definitely goodnights brand, although the suggestions of limiting drinks and trying to wear underwear might be the way to go depending upon the kid. Holding the bladder through the night is a developmental milestone that ultimately can’t be taught unless the child is truly physically ready. Good luck!

21 Likes

I recommend goodnite pull ups!

2 Likes

Try the goodnight pull-ups :smiley:

Your insurance will cover the right kind for him if he is older than 4 (with a doctors note).

Pull-ups are meant for temporary, small accidents. They’re not made to hold what a diaper does, that’s why most people don’t use them unless they’re potty training, including over night checks ect.

1 Like

My daughter wore pullups because she slept WAY too hard and her bladder just wasn’t waking her up. She also was constipated some of the time she peed them.

Make sure your son goes to the bathroom before bed. Limit the amount of liquids before bed. I would use training underwear so he feels it more when he pees and he won’t like the discomfort.

Underjams brand size small would probably work for him also

1 Like
  1. Its completely normal
  2. I honestly bought puppy pads when my son had accidents still and it was cheaper and worked great so we didnt have to constantly change sheets
9 Likes

I had to use the goodnights night time and the disposable bed pads that have sticky tabs on them that stick to the mattress.

2 Likes

Cut out sugary drinks before bed. Only water.

At that age you need to switch to goodnights which are for older children they also make mattress pads by the same brand almost like a wee wee pad. Tapes over the sheet. May want to try and bring him to bathroom during the night and get him out of habit of wearing diapers unless he’s disabled not sure what situation is. Not to be insensitive

1 Like

You can always line it with an overnight pad

I used to take my kids to the bathroom when I was going to bed, they went pee, back to bed, keep lights dim and quiet, did it with 4

6 Likes

No liquids one hour before bed. No liquids in bed. Pee right before bed.

Are you getting him up at night to use the bathroom?

It takes boys longer to develop full overnight bladder control and the awareness that they have to go to wake up. Please be patient with him as he very likely just isn’t developed enough to go dry or wake up from the sensation to go. You can layer sheets and mattress covers a few layers thick. Think protective cover, sheets, protective cover, sheets and so on that way when he has a leak you just take a full layer of and a new dry layer is on already so that remake time is shortened and you can deal with wet in morning. We used Walmart version of good nights for our youngest but even then occasionally he would leak. Can also used the pads like they use at hospital or large puppy pads.

4 Likes

Target brand works for us and my 7 yr old has heavvvy ones. Although for boys it’s probably different because of the direction they are peeing lol. Walmart brand does not, leaked alot for us.

Try taking the pull up off. My daughter wore pull-ups to bed until she 4. We let her pick the day she would no longer wear pull-ups to bed. It went great! Maybe try it and see how it goes? She was peeing in her pull up because it was there. As soon as it was gone she stopped

Good nights or
Pull-ups are not meant to be used as a diaper. If he is peeing that much you need to find an overnight diaper be it a child’s or a smaller adult size

Try to encourage him going to the bathroom right before bed

The issue is that his bladder is too big to be in diapers… Stop letting him drink before bed

Take off the pull up. Get a matress protector or new mattress and leave plastic on. Less drinks later and take him to thetoilet as late as you can manage even if he is asleep.

I had to limit drinks before bed so 1 hour before bed no drinks at all and always toilet before bed. That worked for us.

1 Like

Put an old fannel back tablecloth on bed nothing fancy to absorb the pee. Wake him up periodically to pee cut back on night drinks and keep it light

Limit all drinks before bed and have him go potty before he lays down. The good night’s brand worked awesome for my daughter.

:heart: momma they make pull ups designed specifically for night time use called pull ups night time.The regular pull ups are more for day time/supervised use.

I had to use the goodnight big boys overnight ones and bought inserts off of Amazon. I also got washable incontinence pads that I would lay under my toddler. It helps if you have them go like 20 mins before bed and then again right before they lay down too. I swear my youngest wouldn’t fully go all day and just hold it all until he fell asleep. They can only hold so many ounces and once they go about that it goes through them.

Bed wetting is often a sign of diabetes, make sure you get him checked out for that and any other possible medical issues. I also suggest waking him up to go potty before you go to bed, and if you or his father get up in the middle of the night to potty wake him up again to go. It is also possible he is afraid to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, maybe some night lights in the bathroom and on the route between his room and bathroom.

2 Likes

What are the pediatricians thoughts on this? He possibly may need to see a pediatric urologist

4 Likes

Have you tried…getting yourself up to take him to the bathroom?
It’s kind of a big part of potty training

1 Like

Ur letting him drink too much before bed. Stop letting drink an hour or two before bed and make him pee before bed.

Get the goodnight brand… my daughter had issues with with peeing the bed up until she was 7… she just slept so hard she didn’t wake up to go…

Just came to say momma your doing amazing my son is pretty much 7 and he just stopped using pull-ups at night !!

Potty train the kid he dose not need them at night

2 Likes

But the goodnite pullups.

Whoever reported my comment is also a see you next Tuesday. :blush: :two_hearts: :kissing_heart:

go off the weight. i buy the goodnights sleep pullups.

Pull ups are the worst. Put him in underwear and no drinks after 7pm. That’s the only thing that helped my son. He’s 6 now, but at 4, he was able to get up in the middle of the night and tell us when he needed to go. Yes he still had accidents in the middle of the night, (as expected) and every kid is different, but putting your son in pull ups is only delaying the process of getting him completely potty trained.

Megan why the angry face mate… One of my children still had accidents until they was 10. It happens sometimes, not the child’s fault

4 Likes

Maybe go to a one size smaller that way they fit tighter and no leaks or also get those pants you use for training and put over the pull up and those protectors that you put on top of sheet might help with the washing

Why not use double pull ups or use bladder pads or menstrual pads inside the pull ups? Some boys pee a lot at a time. When my son was little we’d double diaper and use a thick wool diaper cover to absorb it all.

You can probably use those plastic bottomed pads they use in hospitals and nursing homes on top of the sheets too, which might be cheaper than puppy pads.

Good luck! It won’t last forever.

Definitely goodnights brand! Also, make sure his penis is aimed downward when he puts it on before bed

Pampers pull ups huggies pull ups are horrible with soaking through. Or good nights and cut down on drinks the last hour before bed. I have 4 littles so know you can’t cut out drinks but very minimal.

no drinks after supper, get him to go to the bathroom right before bed

Wake him in the middle of the night to go. No drinks after 7. Be sure to fully empty bladder before going to bed.

Touch base with your pediatrician but this is definitely a developmental milestone that kids hit at many different ages. However it can also be a sign of a couple issues. 5 isn’t really that late a lots of kids don’t have full bladder control until 7. Until then limit drinks before bed, make sure he uses the restroom before bed and keep doing what you are doing but they do make the night time pull-ups that will hold more.

Wake before you go to bed for me it was around 11-12
No water after 7pm they went to bed around 8-830
Maybe try a bigger size/ or brand

Make sure that you are buying overnight pull ups and not the normal one you use to potty training.Or change to normal overnight diapers , try to limit his drinking before bedtime and always try to make him pee before putting him to bed

Buy a bigger pull up get goodnight s/m or Huggies 5t-6t

Don’t make a big deal of it. Try the good nights instead.

I would put big boy underwear on him. Have him pee before bed.

Add a ladies poise pad in the pull up

This not only helped with his bed wetting but also night terrors… I’d let him sleep for an hour, then wake him up and take him to the toilet. Have him use it then let him go back to bed. He’d always fall right back sleep & sleep through the night, dry.

Push drinks early in the day and reduce liquids as day progresses to evening. Stop all drinks at two hours before bed. If he’s well hydrated from the beginning of the day he will be fine without a drink during the late evening and throughout the night. Also, reduce sugar intake and stop all caffeine intake. Both are stimulants to the bladder. Make sure he’s emptying his bladder before bed. And, size up in nighttime diapers.
Also, do have him checked by his pediatrician and a urologist to be sure there isn’t an underlying health issue.
All of the things I have suggested you do would be suggested by professionals. I once had a step son that did the same thing and this is the instructions given to us by the professionals. It didn’t stop him from wetting the bed but it did stop the uncontrollable flood from happening every night so that his goodnights could handle it.
Good luck

When my older two sons were daytime potty trained but not yet at night. I would make them go pee before bed and use goodnites at night.

Limit his fluid intake before bedtime, have him to use the bathroom before bedtime wait about 20mins or so and have him try again. I was told sometimes little boys don’t completely empty their bladder especially if they are busy doing something. Also, if you wake during the night to go, take him as well…

Goodnights for the win! Also, don’t let any of the negative comments get to you. There is a lack of hormone that is directly linked to bedwetting. Some kids don’t develope that hormone until 8.

I honestly used to put 2 diapers on my little guy at bedtime… if you have 2 different sizes you can put the smaller one on and then put the bigger one on over it. It seems so wasteful but it definitely worked for me.

I would go up to the next size pull up, even though they fit him. if he is peeing through them he needs more protection that a bigger size gives him.

Pull ups by design aren’t meant to absorb wetness. They are that way to help a child understand they need to use the toilet by making them feel a little uncomfortable. I think the newer ones get cold when they get wet. Goodnights might be better for during the night and pull ups during the day. Boys are awful to potty train lol best of luck

Definitely bump up a size and cut off drinks an hour or two before bedtime.

my 6yr old still needs pull ups at night he sleeps hard his body doesn’t wake him up.
limit fluids and hour before bed. potty before bed and i set an alarm to wake him to use the bathroom. still need pull ups unfortunately but like others have said its a milestone that sometimes boys take longer to reach. sending lots of patients

You may need to eliminate drinks an hour before bed and check him halfway in the middle of the night. We do this my son is 4. Eliminating drinks is not what we do if he’s thirsty he can drink but I know it would help. I just don’t believe in saying no you can’t have water.

He’s leaking through because they’re too small for him. If your son still needs incontinence supplies talk with his dr about sending an authorization to your insurance. Insurance can supply these. Hope that helps.

No liquids one hour before bed

Stop liquids earlier. Take him to the bathroom before you go to bed. It should help.

Is he actually toilet trained at night. And is he wearing them for a literal just an “incase” . If so. Get rid of them. He doesn’t need it for a just incase. That’s setting him backwards. Wake him up and take him and send him back to bed.
If he has issues. Get proper ones