My son will not peeing on the carpet: Help!

I’m really really really in need of any advice or tips or suggestions… Ok so my son is 6 (almost 7) and he WILL NOT STOP PEEING ON THE CARPET!!! Theres specific spots he does it in his bed room and in the lounge, and it doesn’t matter what I do or how I deal with it he just keeps doing it!! I’m so sick of my house stinking of piss it’s fkn disgusting and embarrassing!! I just don’t know what to do anymore I’ve tried being nice about it, being understanding, I’ve tried coming down hard on him, taking things away… NOTHING WORKS!!! His excuse is the toilet door is shut so doesn’t wanna open it on someone… so now I always make sure the door is open, and at night that the light is on… I’ve told him if he needs to he can pee outside! He has a ranch slider in his room I now only lock not dead bolt so he can open if needed… plus heaps of other doors to outside fk I even told him to piss in the damn bath if he has to!! Just ANYWHERE but the damn carpet!!! He’s promised over and over he’ll stop, wont ever do it again, or in his words “I’ll never ever let you down mum…” but then the next day comes round and there’s more piss on my carpet!!! This has been an ongoing issue on and off for a very long time but in the past never to this extent. Its now been going on for months and its happening almost every day I just really don’t know what to do anymore… PLEASE HELP!! I’m in tears sitting here writing this I’ll try anything…

15 Likes

Make him clean the entire carpet every time he does it. He’s old enough to understand that it’s gross. Honestly, take away drinks after dinner and if he keeps doing it make him wear a pull up to bed.

30 Likes

This is a behavioral issue. He’s 6 and knows better.

15 Likes

I would first get him checked out by the doctor, make sure there’s no medical or mental issue going on. Then if not and this is simply an acting out behavioral thing I’d try first putting those little potty’s in the spots that he’s peeing in and when he does make him clean it out. If he does it on the rugs show him how to clean it and make him clean it. It sounds off to me tho, like maybe something mentally going on, especially because he’s acknowledging that he’s doing it and promising not to , maybe it’s something a doctor needs to help with. Good luck mama I can imagine you’re so frustrated and hope you get some answers asap. Hang in there :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Make him clean it. If it’s not done right the first time, make him do it again until it is. If he’s doing it in areas that he thinks are well hidden, remove items from the room, so that it can be well seen. Every hour, make him stop what he is doing and walk him to the bathroom. If he says he doesn’t have to go, tell him to try anyway. It seems like he needs to go back to the basics of potty training.

15 Likes

Get him checked out for sleep issues, mental issues, emotional issues or sad to say sexual abuse

14 Likes

Could he be doing it in his sleep? I agree a doctor and therapist should be consulted. Something is going on… poor kid.

15 Likes

Buy a 5 gallon bucket and having pee in the bucket and then empty in the morning maybe if he has a bucket in there it might help

8 Likes

First talk to the dr, has any trauma happened that u know of? Have u recently had another baby? Seems like there might be more going on than u are seeing…

3 Likes

Sorry to be blunt but you should’ve stopped him from peeing on the carpet the first time you saw it happen. Obviously this has been ongoing for an extremely long time especially if he has hiding spots to pee in his room. Make him get on his hands n knees and make him scrub the carpet. N take the carpet out of his room but if there’s wood underneath you’ll need to take the wood floor out too because it’ll had to seep inside the wood for it to reek that horribly your whole house smells like pee. This isn’t a medical issue or anything like that especially since he has certain spots where he goes but hey people can say it is all they want. But make him clean it up by himself the next time and pull all the carpet out completely.

4 Likes

First have him checked by his Dr, second: is he doing it at night or during the day? If it’s at night he may be having nightmares or sleep walking third: he’s old enough make him clean it up himself with supervision fourth: teach him to knock on the bathroom door if it’s closed.

I mean I woulda whooped him when he was 4 or 5 and still peeing on the floor on purpose but you’ve let it go until almost 7??? Sounds like he has turned this into a game and he knows the consequences aren’t going to matter. Every single time I would whoop his butt and make him clean it up and scrub the carpet while I supervise and enjoy a special treat for not peeing on the floor. :woman_shrugging:t4: Eventually he will get sick of scrubbing carpet and not getting snacks and realize that what he is doing is disgusting and inappropriate and stop.

If you have addresse it with his pediatrician and there is no medical reason he is doing it, I would absolutely make him clean it every single time.

4 Likes

Take away his TV gaming devices. Take his bed out of his room. He can sleep on the floor.

4 Likes

Get him to a therapist or psychiatrist. This isn’t normal at all. Consider removing the carpet from your home. Hardwood floors or tile will be easier to clean.

1 Like

Take him to a urologist, he may have a uti and at age 7 it’s difficult to express what he’s feeling
If you ever had a uti it’s a constant urge to urinate he may not be making it to the bathroom and being 7 he’s hiding it

4 Likes

If it’s only at night , maybe walk him to the bathroom before you go to bed or if you wake in the night to use the bathroom. Wondering if he’s sleep walking. He may not know the reason why he’s doing it.

2 Likes

Put some buckets where he usually goes (like the big Lowe’s 5 gallon buckets) and make an appointment with a doctor. Maybe ask for a referral to a good child psychologist.

I would first take him to doctor see if he has any issues what so ever, then if not I would tell him he he wants to act like a baby he has to wear a pull up and next I would make him start cleaning it up make it a point for him to scrub the carpet… good luck momma

4 Likes

My parents had an issue like this with my little brother. They just ripped the entire carpet out of his room and he to this day has concrete in his room and closet :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My daughters was doing this you need to go see a wet away program or incontance nurse also a physcolagist I can’t believe some peoples comments on here it’s a underlying issue many kids have so don’t tell him off it will stress him more if it’s same spots sit a bucket in those places to you get the help

I would get him referred to a pediatrician, see if there is an underlying issue they can get to the bottom of.

My cousin will do the craziest things too he was autism and adhd along some other stuff it didn’t matter how many times you tell him but he use to rub his own poop in the shower and use to spit everywhere. Have him checked out

Oh heck no and heck no again. My advice will get me banned for a week or 3. Catch my drift.

Put a chamber pot or bucket in the spot he pisses.

Put a 5gal bucket in his room. Tell him to pee in that instead.

4 Likes

Maybe try putting one of those kids toilets in the room where he pees until you find another approach

1 Like

Time to get out the switch

4 Likes

Pamper that child… use those pull ups

1 Like

Tell him if he is going to act like a dog then his nose will be rubbed in it like a dog. :woman_shrugging:t2:.

3 Likes

You should take him to a doctor or a therapist

Check with your doctor may be a reason

Take him to a child psychologist, and his pediatrician. If there’s nothing there then ask for advice from them in how to handle it. If it’s only at night ask about a sleep study, maybe it’s sleep walking or anything else that may be happening. Is he an only child? Sometimes it’s FOMO and they don’t want to stop what their doing to go to the bathroom. I’d start with the doctors and pair it with cleaning the carpet himself. It will be a fit/fight but it’s learning there are consequences without adding the trauma or thought he’s in trouble for normal bodily functions.

4 Likes

Does he d9vit at night when he sleep walking

1 Like

Have him clean it, so he learns, but also get him seen by a doctor/therapist.

1 Like

If anything medical/mental health has been ruled out, I would take away something he loves every time it happens, in addition to him having to clean it. A toy, tv time, video games. 1 week of no peeing = 1 item returned.

1 Like

Make him get on his hands and knees and clean it… Every damn time

Sounds behavioral. Take him to the pediatrician

1 Like

Put a diapers on him. That will stop it

4 Likes

Have you mentioned to his doctor that he is regularly peeing on the rug? If not I would start there. Just to rule our anything medical or trauma related. I know boys can be weird, but I can’t help but feel there’s something more going on.

5 Likes

If he is going to this room at all hours then something is wrong he may have a bathroom phobia if he does it at night rule out sleep walking if this is not the case he is lazy then get serious take all his games ect make him clean it dailey and let him know you are inviting his freinds over and you will tell them maybe they have some ideas that usually does the trick

1 Like

He cleans up the mess also put him in nappies and tell him he changes his own nappy or better still rub his nose in it

1 Like

I’m so sorry. I have had this experience too. I would love to give you ideas of what can help. Please pm me if interested.

Put him in a diaper and duct tape it so he can’t get it off he will learn real fast. Your the adult not him take control

4 Likes

Put him, In pullups and see what happens.

1 Like

Cut the carpet we’re he urinating and put it in the toilet. As dogs love peeing in same spot as it marks their territory. If that doesn’t work give him a slap like in the old days

It’s a behavioral issue call Dr. I know a kid had same problem

Definitely some underlying issue going on. I’d get him in with his pediatrician and a pediatrician psychologist.

Please take him to the Dr. Also, is there any chance someone in his life is touching him inappropriately? Children often wet themselves or try to make themselves seem gross in some way to prevent someone from giving them that type of attention. It’s a huge red flag.

2 Likes

Idk that I’d put diapers on a six year old.would defiantly make him help with clean up so he realizes the extent of the work you put in to keep it semi clean.if he doesn’t want to go into the bathroom or outside would he use a urinal with a lid he could then empty?reward him when he does we prefer to reward good behavior than to discipline bad in my house.

My toddler does this in the bed and I would be so upset I had to clean everything literally to absorb it and clean it out throughly - I use microfiber clothes - baking soda and peroxide and dawn or even white vinegar but Don’t be so mad your child won’t help the situation - when our kids do bad things we have to have patience - it’s not their fault it’s prob a mental thing - don’t inhibit or make it worse - later to distinguishing right from wrong approach it differently and find why - and help him to know better or it’s going to get worse on him for consequences.

Maybe try Put a potty or portable urinal in the area his peeing or in each room and tell him to use that and make him empty it himself.

I would make him clean it up. I made my 4 year old clean up his pee since he decided to pee on the bed instead of getting up and going. He told me only pee on the bed since he was warm. He hasn’t peed the bed again.

How about not putting any carpets at all in the house and see what happens?

make him clean it up and diapers

Take him to the dr maybe he has a bladder infection

I have a grandson that sleep walks and will pee anywhere when he does it , he doesn’t even realize he’s doing it ,

Behavioral therapy asap. Occupational therapy.

Maybe a toddler potty seat ik it sucks to have to dump it but better than going on the floor🤷‍♀️

He seriously needs counseling.

Take him to the doctors like everyone else said sound like trama or behaviour I would start with the dr

I would take him to the doctors

1 Like

He’s trying to tell you something. My guess is sexual abuse. Needs to see a doctor and a therapist who can get to the root of the problem.

at 6 almost 7yrs old hes old enough to know right front wrong and that peeing out side or in toilet is only place to pee, next time a swat on the butt.

I suggest a therapist. We had a foster child that only peed on our carpet (mainly in his bedroom) and pooped in the vents. We later found out it was because he had been sexually abused in the bathroom. I’m not saying your son has been sexually abused but I am saying that he may have a trauma connected to the bathroom.
Or of course he could just be being lazy.
I hope you can resolve this!

I highly recommend being checked for medical issues, see a urologist.
He could also be doing it in his sleep.
Could be a behavioral issue.
A traumatic event could have happened.

All behaviors are a form of communication.