My son will not stay in bed at night: Advice?

My son is almost 17 months old. we just switched his crib to a toddler bed about a month ago. (He was starting to get out, he couldn’t yet but was very close, and we figured it would be safer to stop him trying before he got hurt). He has a bed that was a crib, and it converts? Well, the first night he went to bed like normal, and the next day for a nap was good but that night and now every night since he wakes up in the middle of the night. Like clockwork, every night. He was going to sleep in his crib all on his own and was sleeping all night long every night in the crib. But now we’ve reverted back to having to be rocked to sleep and don’t stay asleep. We’re at a loss of what or why he’s doing this. He now sleeps half the night in our bed because he fights to go back to sleep unless he goes to our room. He literally will throw a fit when I try to rock him again and pulls on my shirt, wanting out of the room. I’ve tried to just let him cry it out, but he gets so worked up about it. His naps went from 2-3 hours to maybe an hour. There’s some days he’ll play until he hides under his toy slide and will take a nap there but won’t sleep at night there. Any ideas to help him want to stay in his room,? Other than the bed, nothing changed. He still has the same sound machine and music playing every night.

9 Likes

My son gets out of bed too but he just plays and complains for a little bit and then gets back in bed and goes to sleep

That’s an awfully long nap time. 16m here, we do maybe a 1hr nap, sometimes 30min once a day and he will sleep like a rock usually.
Cry it out works, it’s just heart wrenching sometimes.
We just went thru s phase where my LO will scream BLOODY MURDER like hes dying, tears and all.
Change, sippy, and some love and still did it. I walked away and let him scream it out. Less than 10min later he slowed the yelling and passed out.

1 Like

It’s not something that happens overnight. Your going to have to keep a routine of putting him back in his bed or he will always want to sleep with you. Get the rails they work. Get him a favorite stuff animal also. Keep up the routine. No changes. Back to his room. You might lose some sleep but it will pay off

1 Like

It’s a change. These things happen with any change for kids. I’d also recommend a rail

1 Like

Google sleep regression… could be starting earlier, my little guy is doing that with me right now and hes gonna be 4 months on the 3rd

Keep walking him back to bed

1 Like

He’s only 17 months old still very young. I would put the crib back together. It takes a lot of time. My son is four and still ends up in my bed every night

3 Likes

If you really wanted this to change, you would stick to your guns and carry him to the bed every time he gets out, no excuses. Until then, don’t blame your kid for you being confusing and making him lose sleep :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Mine all did this at that age, and when we moved them to bed, just be consistent

3 Likes

Does he have a nightlight?Just keep putting back in his bed.

1 Like

Just keep putting him back.
Many find a small mattress for yourself to lay beside him until his body becomes used to sleeping this way

1 Like

Its most likely adjusting, my son did this, I gave in and let him sleep with me, didnt break that fully until he was 3. Now he sleeps with me, hes 4, but he will sleep in his own bed, but I just had a baby 7 months ago and I chop it up to him wanting extra time with me.

1 Like

Good luck my 5 yr old daughter still comes in and then sneaks back in the am…lol

A. Night light or. A. Stuffed animal that sings or has lullaby music to comfort. Walkie talkies so he could Get a hold of you .

My kids stopped napping at 18 months they slept through the night. Maybe have earlier bed time short nap.

I would have left him In the crib a little longer and put some kind of padding on the floor so he cant get hurt if he does climb out

My son went into toddler bed around that age. Every time he gets up put him straight back to bed no messying around he will bet the hang of it and eventually just stay there

1 Like

Change can be really scary. Stick to a routine, as hard as that will be.

My lot did the same and it’s a security thing, they still want to be close to you …all I did was when they came thru I got up and guided them back to their own bed, some days Im pulling my hair out cos of the routine but eventually it stopped in fact the first time I woke up in a panic cos no one was thru. Haha just have patience they will stop don’t get angry cos it frightens them then your in trouble.

1 Like

just keep putting him back to bed. soon as he gets up take him back… it will take you to your wits end but dont give up… after a few sleepless nights it will get easier…

When he comes to your bed, just keep putting him back in his bed. He is just testing you because he is able to do something new. I know it’s easier to let him stay in your room when he does it, but consistency will win. Good Luck.

We are still in the crib my little guy is 23 months. And probably gonna prolong changing over. My daughter did this for a long time too. I was eager to give her the big girl bed.

Duck tape. Haha just kidding. What I did was every night my daughter stayed in bed ALL night, she got a reward in the am. What motivates ur child? Dollar store toys maybe? Have a basket full.