My sons aunt gave him water, am I overreacting?

Oh hell, if you’re already giving him steak and potatoes I can’t see why a little water will hurt.

5 Likes

If your not happy with how your child is cared for then find someone else.
I know I will get attacked be on measure for this but when the elderly tell us younger generations how to care for your baby, if you don’t like it then you don’t have to do it but remember THEY have raises untelling how many children through out their lives, they know ALOT more then we do, so with that being said, I was a young mother, that lived with my grandmother while my first child was born, my child had taste of water and was eating table foods by the time she was a month old. Formula wasn’t enough for her and her pediatrician (also elderly) told me it was fine as long as it was small portions and not daily… she’s always been healthy and now 19…
I just say you do what YOU think is right for your baby :woman_shrugging:

1. Baby should not get solids till 4-6 months depending on if they can sit unaided and show an interest in food (example mimic chewing motions).

2. Babies should not be given water till they are at least 3+ months and even then, it shouldn’t be an everyday thing as their kidneys are small.

2 Likes

Jesus. Punctuation marks work wonders. It went from water to a banana. A miniscule amount of water will not harm a baby. Overloading them on water at a young age can cause issues, but a tiny bit of water is perfectly fine. We did water with a teaspoon of corn syrup when our infant was constipated. No more than 2 ounces of plain water a day, per suggestion of the pediatrician. If your baby is eating food at 3 months, as long as the banana is smooshed up and isn’t cause for choking hazard, then yes. I believe you are overreacting. If you want your baby taken care of a certain way, move to a 24 hour gym and have your sitter watch your baby when they are asleep in bed at night.

Babies are only supposed to have breast milk or formula until 6 months of age. Water intoxication is real.

You have every right to be pissed! I told my mom from the get go solids wouldn’t be started until 6+ months as recommended per doctor and the AAP. She sent me a photo of my daughter “eating a baby cookie thing” and I flipped. There’s tons of research out their proving giving food to an infant too early will hurt their gut as they grow older. Their tummys don’t yet have all the proper enzymes that break down food. Breastmilk and formula are their primary source of nutrition until 1 for a reason. Water that young is very dangerous especially if given too much. I would find a different sitter until your family remembers can respect your rules for your child. Period.

he shouldnt be getting anything other then formula or brwast milk until minimum 5 months… water can only be used if the baby is constipated and like an oz once or twice a day :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Your feeding him baby food already and your worried about a little water.

Giving a baby water early can literally dilute their blood & kill them .

It’s your baby. Your decision
End of discussion

It wont hurt him to have a bit of water

Your mad, but you tried to feed your 2 month old baby food? Wtf…this gotta be a troll post.

I think a banana was pushing it.

I gave my kids a small amount of water at times all these oh giving this and that before this age is just rediculous

4 Likes

My sons pediatrician said he can have water here and there when he was a couple months old just to make sure we don’t supplement water for his formula so it’s not terrible she gave him water but as for the bananas I think she should have probably asked you or something especially if she doesn’t have children. I can see if she has children and experience why she wouldn’t ask but either way that’s your child and she shouldn’t do anything without checking with you.

1 Like

I would be flipping.A baby that little,does not nerd water.

That’s a little early to me but what do I know. I’ve just had four.

2 Likes

why not stay home and look after your own baby, your babys aunts are doing you a favour, just saying!!!

It’s water? It’s not going to hurt him to drink unless it’s substituted for a meal.

You are over reacting! Be thankful the aunts care enough to babysit! Babies need water! We all need water! Bananas are great for babies! You are definitely over reacting!

He’s three months old. Water can literally kill a baby. And a 3 month old baby is too small for baby foods. The intestines are completely formed yet, they can’t process foods until around 4-6 months. I’d be furious. Never leave your baby alone with her again.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be having any food at 3 months old :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

Babys aren’t supposed to have anything other than breastmilk or formula before 6m.

Nobody should be giving the baby anything that the parents don’t approve of.

Well I see like 5 things that shouldn’t be going on here. Please research proper things to give a 3 month old. Those things would be breastmilk or formula… thats it.

You should have been asked.

Well look after your baby yourself. No worries then

if you disagree with your aunt, don’t leave the baby with her again. And before you discuss this with strangers, talk to your baby’s doctor. Only the doctor is qualified to have the proper answers to your concerns.

1 Like

No water for babies and clearly she has no respect for your parenting. Find a new sitter

I’m more concerned about you giving him food over water!

What the heck made you think you could feed a baby solid foods at 2 months old ?

2 Likes

You’re not over reacting . Babies aren’t supposed to have plain water until 6 months old . Causes the brain to swell

Yes you’re overreacting it’s water for christs sake

4 Likes

They need to listen to your instructions or don’t let them babysit. It’s not worth the risk.

That’s so dangerous!!! You’re definitely not overreacting!

3 Likes

Stop leaving your baby with them every day if they don’t go with your rules…

Drs generally say to wait until 6 months to start on solids. Breast milk/formula is still supposed to be their primary nutrional source until 1 yr. They can have a little bit of water but you don’t want them filling up their little tummy’s on that. You have a reason to be mad about all of it.

Not saying there wasn’t any overstepping here, but you do realize that both breastmilk and formula are about 80% water, right???

2 Likes

Water isn’t good for babies. Neither is feeding babys food under 6 months old. American Acadamy of Pediatrics says to wait til babies are 6 months old to introduce any food.

It is so so so important to do research on what your baby can/can’t eat. At what age. That is very important. Research has come a long way from the 90s. As well as carseat saftey and safe sleep.

It if was me. I’d be mad. I’d also take into condition what some moms are telling you about feeding food before 6 months of age. When we have our first baby, we think we have it all figured out. Our way, is the right/only way. But in reality, it’s not, and there’s alot to learn that you may not know.

1 Like

Are you over reacting?? I am over reacting at this WHOLE POST!
Stop giving that baby food! Formula/breast milk ONLY.
Until that baby can hold his head up while sitting on his own, NO FOOD!
Ffs!! How old are you??!! Where are YOUR parents to guide you?

2 Likes

Water alone in an infant can cause water toxicity, and your baby can die. Research open gut pertaining to feeding babies under 6 months anything other than formula or breast milk. It can cause lots of long term damage.

1 Like

I was going to say , powder formula , mixed with water , is 90 percent water , tell me again, why infant can’t have a little plain water. ? If you don’t like the way other people care for your child , don’t leave them do it yourself, you said yourself you gave it solids at 2 monthes

1 Like

Giving a infant water can kill them so no not over reacting.

1 Like

Your not over reacting

1. Babies shouldn’t have solid food until at least 6 months
  2. Your baby’s kidneys are fragile and could easily be damaged by water
  3. Your baby’s sodium levels are even more fragile and your baby could develop seizures. The water used to make formula is okay because the formula is balanced.
9 Likes

Not over reacting at all. Before 6 months only breast milk or formula unless advised by your paediatrician or family doctor.
It is not up to the babysitter(I don’t care what relation) to ever make these decisions without your permission.

1 Like

First of water ONE TIME before being educated was fine, secondly if you were that concerned about proper feeding timelines you NEVER would’ve given baby food at 2 months old :joy:, thirdly you feed babies until they’re full there is no food/liquid limit

Simple stop letting people baby sit your child :woman_shrugging:

What do you mix formula with… WATER.
Breastmilk is 80%…WATER
A little plain water is not a big deal.

5 Likes

If your giving your 3 month old food why freak out over water? Both are not good for a baby that age.

1 Like

Water is perfectly fine!!

Do any of you know how to feed a baby jfc. IF THEY CAN’T SIT IN A HIGH CHAIR THEY SHOULDN’T BE EATING ANYTHING. They could hospitalize him giving water it’s called water intoxication they don’t need hydration they get it from breastmilk/formula

2 Likes

So… are we just going to ignore the fact that you’re also giving your baby food when you absolutely should not be…? Please have a conversation with your pediatrician so they can properly guide you on introducing solid food and water at the appropriate developmental stages.

8 Likes

Give clear instructions or just leave your little one with somebody you can trust,or cut the gym time. Not the rocket science :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Stop leaving your baby alone with her.

2 Likes

You’re at the gym 2hrs every day, have free family daycare, and complain if things aren’t exactly as you want??
Most people aren’t soo lucky…

My mom’s ex husband gave my, at the time, exclusively breast fed 1mth old a peanut to suck on on a family dinner while I was in the bathroom… I freaked out. Liked flipped out and took him so he stayed with me the rest of the time we were there. People don’t think at alllllll. Then a few weeks later at a birthday dinner, again while I was in the bathroom, they gave him a piece of ham. I flipped out even more. No one fed him anything again after that unless I said so. So honestly a freak out on her is needed in my opinion!

I would be annoyed too. If you can, just tell her to hold off a bit with food. He’s still small and probably can’t sit up good yet. What was her reason to give him water at 1 month?! So weird. The doctor tell you no water for a reason.

Your child, your rules plain and simple, the aunt is showing your son that its ok to not listen to mommy, youll have to get strict, either this aunt follows your rules or they dont see your son at all

Talk to your pediatrician about it and stop asking advice on a FB forum. All you get is a bunch of Dr. Googles and bad advice! If you have a medical concern, talk to your medical professional!

So you said your baby isnt eating baby food but has little bites of food yet you are mad about a little bit of water? I dont think its gonna hurt the baby.

I was given sugar water in the hospital to give my kids, my youngest is 17 now :woman_shrugging: as for the banana, just formula wasn’t filling enough so I mixed oatmeal in with the formula per the pediatrician.

Years ago we were told milk is their food and water is their drink but times have changed

They shouldn’t have anything but breast milk or formula before 6 months and any foods after that need to be grain free and soft. Food before 1 is just for fun and they don’t have the proper digestive enzymes to take more than breast milk. Water is an absolute no!

You’ve made boundaries, they aren’t respecting them. Time to not let them watch baby anymore til they learn to respect you as parent of your child. Babies can get water intoxication pretty easy so it is important to follow Dr orders. Find a daycare and end of it.

You gave him baby food at TWO months!?! Wtf

Water intoxication is a real thing… Also a half a banana? This is a sad post

I’d flip my lid. THREE MONTHS? They aren’t suppose to have ANYTHING besides breast milk or formula.

Gave all mine cooled boiled water from 6 weeks.

Why are you giving your two month baby ANY solids.

You’re harming your 3 months old by giving him food than she is giving him water. They aren’t supposed to have anything but formula until 6 months.

Grow up woman if the baby didn’t want the banana it wouldn’t of eaten it. But to complain about her giving the baby water is ridiculous as all water comes from the same place. (The sky) Just in case you didn’t know. What is plain water even if you add baby formula it’s still plain water to start with . Get over it that’s my rant for the day.

I would have been mad. Even if it is his aunt, she needs to run ANYTHING by you that wasn’t instructed to her.

The problem now is parents raise internet babies what do you think babies had in the o)Der generation and no all of them didn’t get breast milky babies had water and where fed from the table from th time they where born and guess what they are all healthy