My soon to be ex husband hasn't been giving me my stimulus: Advice?

He doesnt have to give you any of that money. Nothing you can do about it.

2 Likes

Talk to your attorney

5 Likes

First dont ever mix accounts…husband or no husband…I always kept my money separate…but I always did financial things as if I was single…I would never let nobody screw me over…

4 Likes

Mention it in court. The judge will deal with it.

6 Likes

Put it in your divorce that you are owed the money. Worst case would be they make him pay you half. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

When you file your taxes it will ask if you received the stimulus check no and they will add to your refund

3 Likes

Call Carol Baskins girl she has got the answer :woman_shrugging:t4::face_with_monocle:

13 Likes

There is a form called a 3911, google it & it should help you. Not sure how soon anything will get done about it but that’s a start

Ur screwed. Money isnt everything. Just chalk it up to bad luck of the draw.Just b glad ur rid of him.

5 Likes

7 Likes

During court sue for it. Or get a. File emergency court order. To get funds.

1 Like

Take every single thing he has to the pawn shop until you make your money back. :wink: I would just have a bonfire in tbe yard, but thats just me.

4 Likes

Thankfully for my ex husband I give him his portion everytime! But what i did was incase it was sent to him I called my lawyer and let them know to add the amounts I was owed to for both stimuluss in the divorce decree that way if that had happened I’d get it in the end when we finalized. I told them the amounts I was rightfully owed and they drew it in there.

5 Likes

My question is if it’s a joint account like your saying why can’t you just take the money out your self 🤷

2 Likes

Well tell your lawyer, sue him for it

3 Likes

Ya name on the account then take the damm money!

2 Likes

Worst case… you add it into whatever is owed to you in the divorce paperwork. Any amount of stimulus can be claimed later in court if he got what was owed to you. Not saying you can get the money for the children but there’s a much higher chance of getting the amounts sent for you.

2 Likes

Contact your lawyer my ex had took money from our joint account and put it in an account in his own name. My lawyer got an order that froze both our assets to stop him from spending it. Was a nuisance but when the divorce was being settled financially I got half. As long as you haven’t reached financial settlement and you aren’t divorced you will get half of everything including that money x

2 Likes

Go to the cops !!! Show them everything ! And take his ass to court

Got to citizen’s advice beuro

tell the ploice he stole your money

File it on your taxes, you didn’t receive it and he will get audited and have to pay that back

6 Likes

Its in my divorce that my ex is supposed to pay me for the vehicles he sold when we were married. But my lawyer said I would never see this money though. So it can be apart of the divorce decree but if anyone figures out how to squeeze this money out of them I would appreciate it because my ex still owes me per our divorce decree

If you let the IRS know the situation they will split it in half and send half to you via check and half to him. Since it’s already gone out you won’t be able to get it without a lawyer however if there is a stimulus in the future it’s good to let your tax preparer know and the IRS that you would like the funds split. That money is half yours. Hope things get better for you. :pensive: :purple_heart:

Report d aid on the kids social security numbers. And inform them the stimulus money went to wrong parent . Or when u do taxes have the apply n make note that he is not in care of the children at all n got money that wasn’t his .

Trust me the Judge will make him pay you back with interest! Judge’s hate father’s who steal from their own children!!!

45 Likes

Let your Divorce Attorney handle it.

13 Likes

If it’s been dispersed you will have to take him to court to get a portion of it. The stimulus has nothing to do with who has the kids it has to do with the tax return. I would let your divorce attorney know so that maybe they can stipulate in the settlement for him to pay you a portion. He is also going to be the one getting the child tax credit advance.

22 Likes

Could you file an injured spouse form with the IRS? my husband and I had to file one when he owed back child support ( it was a complicated situation with his ex) so they would not take my income money ( I was the only one working but we filed jointly)

If you are in the middle of a divorce, consult your divorce attorney about it. Every single thing should be in writing before the divorced is finalized.

6 Likes

Yea call the IRS and A lawyer

5 Likes

There is a number you can call if you have the kids more says a year then he does. The irs will investigate and send u the money and make him pay it back.

The court is going to screw him so bad for doing that. Get that money sis

Im agreeing with many others, let your lawyer handle it.

10 Likes

My parents were going through a divorce when the first stimmy went out (they lived separately at this point but hadn’t had the court hearing yet) and her ex had to meet us at the bank with the attorney and split it or he would’ve been breaking the law according to the attorney. Don’t let this slide. Tell your attorney!

11 Likes

Report identify Fraud. Theft it still theft

5 Likes

Tell ur lawyer. Mine made my ex husband reimburse me for taxes he took when we had seperated or go to jail if he didnt

2 Likes

Do you have a lawyer? If not get one!! My ex use to say any cheque in his name is his even if it was for us jointly!! Changed my info pronto and I got my next check. Sorry you are dealing with this

Call your government office that handles your stimulus and tell them your situation & information. I know here in Canada, if that happens, he will have to pay the government back or it gets shaved off of his paycheck and goes directly to you

I know someone who went on the irs.gov site and filled out the information that she did not receive her full stimulus. She got the full amount and her ex partner will now owe the IRS.

1 Like

Your lawyer will take care of it! Get a hold of him!

2 Likes

Have your attorney bring it up in court.

No excuse you should of went online and changed the bank account information

1 Like

That’s so messed up, I second everyone let the attorneys know

3 Likes

Get you a lawyer and call the irs

2 Likes

Only thing you can do is wait for court

3 Likes

Tell your lawyer…

Needs to be brought up in court…don’t let him get away with it…

Cant you change it on the irs portal which bank account it goes to. In your name.

As long as you are married and your funds are intermingled you are out of luck.

2 Likes

Call the irs and get him for fraud.
If you have the kids and he dont he needs to give you the money or they will. Or the judge will

Hunny take his ass to court

Document everything. You can sue him for it. It’s your money.

Talk to your divorce attorney.

3 Likes

Have ur lawyer tell the judge in court whats going on here may order ur ex to pay the money back to u nd maybe ask for partner all the money for the kids if u have them fill time ur entitled to some of it if not all of it

4 Likes

Right now not really…but tell your attorney about it. They can argue for half in the settlement.

No advise here, but this sucks. Sorry mama. It seems like a lot of great advice though. Best of luck to you​:heart::heart:

I heard post parents can get it I’d speak to a tax preparer

1 Like

You got a lawyer use him. Or waste more time and money on the looser.

1 Like

I would call the IRS tell them see what they’ll do.

1 Like

Well technically it depends if her and her kids were claimed as dependents at the time. If she wasn’t working it’s considered his money and she is out of luck. But she can still try to fight it in divorce court.

I’m Canadian so I’m not too sure how it works for you guys - but can you not just call them and just switch the account on your file? My husband and I file everything together but payments still come in our separate names.
Also, are you still on the bank account? Go to the bank and withdraw all of the money that was sent in your name.

Yeah, take that piece of shit to court… What a deadbeat. He’s lucky I’m not his ex cuz I’d stab him.

If the check is direct deposited and it has both of your names on it then the bank account has to have both of your names on it or it wouldn’t be able to be deposited, go to the bank and take what’s yours, he can’t do a damn thing if the account has both your names on it

You can actually get in contact with the IRS… this is a federal crime and they could possibly be fined or convicted of theft… had a friend in the same situation

3 Likes

If you’re in the middle of the divorce speak with your attorney. The attorney should be able to get your money for you.

5 Likes

Unless you’re filed jointly for 2020, there should be a way to get it in some capacity.
But to avoid any future issues with IRS talking to a tax professional is your best course of action.

You can always go to the get my payment website and change the bank account your stimulus goes to

2 Likes

If you are getting divorced there’s nothing you can do till you go to court. You need to keep track of everything & tell your lawyer.

2 Likes

Sue him for it in your divorce. It is yours the courts will grant it to you when your divorce is final

9 Likes

I’d tell him that if he doesn’t give it to you in X amount of time, you’re contacting the IRS and possibly a tax lawyer as well (that will know how to fight for you).

5 Likes

If you’re in the middle of a divorce you or your attorney should be able to file a motion with the court regarding the issue.

5 Likes

Document everything dates times and messages including text messages- just document it so you’ll have it for lawyers and courts!!

4 Likes

File charges against him. Call his employer stv.

Speak with your attorney

If you contacted the IRS and told them it was deposited into the wrong account then it is his responsibility to then take it up with his bank. He’ll have to explain why he spent money that wasn’t his!

5 Likes

Recent court orders said have to split so I split mine with my ex

Be sure to put it in your decree that he has to give you HALF of all of the stimulus and future stimulus checks. That’s how it was written in my divorce decree.

2 Likes

Currently going threw the same thing except we were not married, I have to sue him in court🤦‍♀️ which I will win because he walked out and abandoned me with 4 kids and 22 weeks pregnant with his child. It’s gonna be a long process but I’m taking the steps the legal way! Good luck to you❤️

2 Likes

Is your name on the account? If not then it can not go in there. Unless you did not work and he claimed you. If it is on the account go to the bank yourself.

Take his ass to court for them

Attorney or file papers in pro per. I don’t think there’s a judge out there that would let him keep your stimulus $$$

file your taxes separate and when it ask if you received put 0 eventually he will have to pay it back

1 Like

Is the account the money went into a joint account? If not, maybe contact the bank and ask why it went into his account?

Write a "Detailed " letter to IRS about your sitauation and not getting XXX Stimulus checks for you or your children and they live with you… Detailed … and send any proof you have - your address verses his , the children living with you at your address ( school records / day care records with your address on it ) signed or even notarized statements by family members or neighbors or landlord where you live , your job, written agreements anything that can prove or just show where you live verses where he does and where the children live, bills, light bill, etcc ANYTHING at all . Dates when he left or yall Seperated , how Long he has been a diffrent address or you have or Both. any Detail, Proof, anything and attach it to your letter and you will have your money Real Soon. I did this in the past and they didnt play they sent me mine. within a matters of weeks.

First thing we did during my divorce was close banks accounts, split the money and opened our own separate accounts at different banks

1 Like

Go to the bank and withdraw your amount, if your name is still on the account

1 Like

Change all your info so it can’t happen again and reach out to a free attorney

Joint account? As Edward said. Withdraw the $1400.

This is why separate bank accounts are so important.

4 Likes

Sue him for interest and some for making you wait.

You’ll have to take it to court. Judge will order that he pay you back your share of the stimulus, and have so many days to return it… our buddy just went threw this with his ex wife cuz he has full custody

Amend the divorce papers to include your portion

You will have to request the money in your court meeting. Take screenshots of what the IRS portal shows and bring a copy of last years and this years income. More likely the judge will make him give you the money. Unfortunately, divorces take around 6 months.

It was sent to you, tell him hand it over or it will be addressed in Court …

1 Like

You get a credit on your taxes if you did not receive a stimulus payment. They will probably audit him. Karma bus is slow, but it usually gets to its destination. :wink:

2 Likes

He’ll have to pay it in the divorce.

Honey u still married , walk in the bank and say I need my money please. And if he toke ur card well guess what tell them you want a knew one… and if by chance you went willingly and toke your name off, well this will be a hard lesson for you to learn … nothing his doing is a crime. Next time you will learn you better start filling faster cause every year he going to try to claim the kids on tax’s

He’s a piece of dookie