My soon to be ex husband hasn't been giving me my stimulus: Advice?

My husband and I are in the middle of a divorce. We are not on good terms. All of my stimulus payments have gone to his account, and he will not send them to me. Even this most recent one went to his account because they went by our 2019 taxes instead of this year. He blows up on me when I ask for my money. I am the one with the kids, and he just blows it all. Is there anything I can do, or am I just screwed out of my money?

90 Likes

I would talk to a lawyer

8 Likes

If you have a divorce attorney, make note of it to them.

14 Likes

Make it part of your divorce settlement.

22 Likes

I’m in same boat. Soon to be ex is getting it all too and refuses to give it to me even though I have my kids (they arent even his). So my lawyer is making it that when we go to court he gives me 2/3 of the stimulus. So get a lawyer asap and get your.money back

9 Likes

You’re pretty much screwed out of the money. Sorry.

3 Likes

Pretty sure when you file your taxes for 2020 which you have until May now to do, it asks if you received them and you’re suppose to get them with your taxes if you didn’t. I could be wrong but when my mom did my taxes for me she called to make sure i had received them.

5 Likes

Get a lawyer plus each child gets 1400 doll this time to … They will get it out of him …

2 Likes

You can get it back paid to you when you file your taxes. Theres a loophole allowing both households (divorced and claiming child tax credit every other year) to receive stimulus money for the same child.

3 Likes

Get a lawyer find one who wants to nail his nuts to the wall

8 Likes

Just tell your lawyer. He’s not allow to take your $$.

8 Likes

Yes, you can get all the checks resent to you. It has a name but I’m drawing a blank atm im sorry. But a friend of mine was able to do this, her situation was a bit different than yours, her daughter was with a family member but then returned to her home and the family member still kept receiving that and her ebt, other things… so she filed this and they reissued her all the checks sent to that point, neither have to pay it back or anything like that either, it was just a like loophole I guess you’d say

He can get in serious trouble for that, just gotta go to the right people, tell your attorney and you could probably call the IRS

8 Likes

Contact the I.R.S. immediately and report them. Mothers with kids thats not the husbands are not eligible for stimulus for the kids. Thats fraud and should be dealt with.

5 Likes

Add it into the divorce

4 Likes

I’m sure you didn’t give him the first 2. Take it as a loss and move on

1 Like

Nail him for child support

1 Like

I would take him to court

2 Likes

Turn him in to IRS take him to court an take every thing you can

2 Likes

Can the police help as it can cause neglect towards your kids, it’s fraud surely

1 Like

Talk to an attorney or a tax preparer to see what you can do. Even though you have the kids y’all are still married and will probably have to split all 3 50/50 which is fair.

Open a new account and change the stimulus into that account… any child tax he’s been collecting while the kids aren’t in his care had to be paid back to you if you can prove that the kids were with you at the time. (will need to be brought up during division of assets)

All of these Facebook Lawyers , SMH

1 Like

Call irs tell them then talk to your tax prepare and for god sakes get all your money back and tour kid

1 Like

Don’t get legal advice from the internet. Hire a family law attorneys

4 Likes

Turn his butt in th o somebody

Get him in trouble turn him in

1 Like

The only thing I can recommend is to call a lawyer. But since y’all are married and filed joint tax returns, you might just have to take this as a loss. Yes, it does suck. He’s being an ass but it is what it is at this point. Maybe if you get a divorce lawyer then you can somehow recoup some of the money as a part of your divorce settlement. Good luck.

File taxes by yourself & mark it when it ask did you receive the stimulus and you can get it that way- he can deal with the IRS on his end- even if you didn’t work much or at all you can file to get the stimulus money. It’s what I was told.

11 Likes

Talk to your lawyer, ask for it in the settlement.

1 Like

Turn him in to irs and then court to get your money back

2 Likes

You’re SOL, unfortunately.

You have to mention only during your divorce.

Call a tax person. You should be able to file alone with the children. Then request the rebate. If they approve it and give it you then they’ll make him pay it back.

If you’re not on that account then yes there’s something you can do. If you are then nope you’re screwed. :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I work at a bank they have to make sure the other person gets their own stimulus . call the bank and let them know that’s your money they should place the funds on hold

8 Likes

You had a long time to do your tax and change account number before the stimulus… why you didn’t do it?? You could’ve saved the headache and the time.

2 Likes

Girl when it comes to your money you don’t need to ask advice. You ant stupid

I’d bring it up in divorce court and ask for that to be paid back to you

6 Likes

You can bring it up in the divorce have it put into the documents

I’m dealing with the same issue. Dad who never sees the kids claimed them and won’t give me the money. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. I called irs they were no help. There is a paper you get off the irs website. Fill it out and send it in. You will get all the stimulus. And he will have to pay that all back to them.

1 Like

Make sure you get child support

1 Like

Have your lawyer place his account on hold until he gives you what’s yours

4 Likes

Take him to court. Seriously.

5 Likes

Boooo hooooo my baby daddy didn’t give me my,$1400 nor my $300 for our kid hes driving a brand new car too. Itll come back on them

Is not the same situation but, my husband and his ex are alternating tax year for their child. This year my husband filed for her, and she asked for the money, he stays with the money because their paperwork says all child tax credit is for whoever is the person claiming her. She call family court, they told her that money is for whoever claim her in 2020 and if he doesnt owe child support (ehich he doesn’t) She call IRS they told her call family court. So theres no really support for them. But anyway my husband is staying with money.

1 Like

Have your attorney address it in court.

22 Likes

He should at least give you half

1 Like
5 Likes

I would just keep atleast a text as proof and then let the court handle it.

6 Likes

You’ll have to take it to court

1 Like

You need to take it to court, you should get your money and at least half of the kids!

2 Likes

That is so messed up

yOU are entitled to your own citizen as an american citizen…court

2 Likes

i would call the IRS and tell them you are separated and the children are in your care and he received the payments. they should make him amend it.

21 Likes

Take it to court, do not give up , this is not ok!

7 Likes

File your 2020 taxes and say you did not receive it, also bring it up in divorce proceedings.

9 Likes

You’re going to have to file in court, keep any and ALL proof.

4 Likes

Contact your attorney

5 Likes

Thats hella messed up🤦‍♀️ he should atleast give you some money for the kids🙄 take his ass to court🤷‍♀️

2 Likes

Talk to you divorce attorney!

10 Likes

SAME. He’s refusing to give it to me, it’ll end up coming out of the MSA at the end

3 Likes

I just went through this. I had to get a lawyer. He took my kids and mine and the judge ordered him to give the money back to us and then pay for my lawyer

21 Likes

Tell him you’ll take him to court and he’ll end up paying for your attorney fees and you will still end up getting your portion he’s just delaying the process and it’s going to end up costing him a pretty penny.

12 Likes

File your 2020 taxes married filing separately. Also, talk to your divorce attorney.

4 Likes

Well you had 2 previous times to go onto the IRS website and amend the account it was going into.

9 Likes

Include it in your divorce proceedings

4 Likes

Court lawyer up he will have to pay up

4 Likes

A friend of mine is going through this. Her and husband are separated. He kept hers and the kids. She got cops involved and it’s a federal offense. She got her lawyer the irs and he’s in the military all involved. He’s getting military arrested. Definitely report it to all of them.

12 Likes

Thombi Nkoza
Am sorry for taking your time. I just want to share my testimony on how i got my ex back. It happens that i have been having this issue with my husband that finally wreck my home. we have been married now for 13 years with 3 lovely kids and we were one big happy family until my husband went on a business trip with his friend in Prague. since he came back from that trip he started misbehaving, he goes out, come back late sometimes he will be gone for 2 weeks without saying a word nor call to check up on us. my Lovely husband suddenly became a stranger, he no longer create time for our kids talk less of having time for me. Early last year he packed few of his things without saying a word and left only for me to receive a letter of divorce from his lawyer. I tried to call him and sort things out but all to no avail i cried my heart out but help wasn’t coming from no where until i talked to a friend who introduced me to baba khoni . he told me great things about his and how he has helped her. So i decide to give her a try. he asked me few questions and asked me some certain things which i did grudgingly. and to my ought most surprise 5 days after i did what she asked me that my husband came begging and asking for my forgiveness which i did and we have been happy. Am so grateful for what baba khoni did for me that i promised to share my story, so as to help as many people out there facing problem. I can boldly say that baba khoni is good and can provide solution to any kind of problem you might be facing out there. You can
CALL/WHATTSAPP: +27736826252

5 Likes

Tell your divorce lawyer whats going on. You still may not get your money back…but its worth a shot.

5 Likes

Talk to your lawyer best bet

2 Likes

Contact the bank - tell them the stimulus has been credited to his account when your name is also on there - then they’ll freeze or hold the amount that is owed to you. You will have to go in person to get a cashier check cut and made payable to you, you will have to present your drivers license or ID.

• from Tx & I work at a bank :blush:
26 Likes

your screwed out your money since he claimed you all on taxes, if he had them and you as dependents last year and this is a recent separation then he had every right to file and claim you all.

Do a stimulus payment trace with the irs. Take that took to court. It’s a federal offense if he keeps it

4 Likes

Curious to know how many moms got the stimulus $ and didn’t give the dad half for the children portion.

6 Likes

A coworker of mine is going through something similar and they went by their tax returns they filed when they were married the money went into her account and her attorney told her she had to give it to him because it was his.

He should give you your stimulus checks, but he should hold onto the kids as it hasn’t been court ordered for him to give it to you yet. Anything he gives you without a court order is considered a gift. The kids payments should be split, but since the divorce isn’t finalized bring it up in the next court date.

2 Likes

IRS Form 8332 . Someone Claimed Your Child, Dependent; What Can You Do?

They’ll ask for doc’s proving where the kids lived for the tax year. If both have doc’s then they give deduction to the One who made more.

1 Like

Same thing is happening to me. I’m having my lawyer demand it in our settlement.

1 Like

You can request a refund trace (Form 3911) to show that the stimulus check went to your spouse’s account or was cashed by your spouse. Document your calls to the IRS EIP helpline and your communication with tax professionals.

If the IRS develops procedures to help address this issue, you will have proof that you did not receive your stimulus payment and could perhaps request a replacement payment from the IRS. Document everything in addition to contacting a tax professional or tax clinic.

3 Likes

File an injured spouse form.
I had to do this when my ex got my regular refund.
The form is available on the IRS website.

Talk to your divorce attorney. That is what you are paying them for .

5 Likes

Go to the bank that it was deposited in, and if it is your name on it , request cashier check

6 Likes

I’d say the money is yours completely unless he pays child support then you should split the child portion. I’m not sure who you would reach out to about this but I know it’s not right

2 Likes

I see why ppl file separately now

3 Likes

Injured spouse law? You should be able to get it.

2 Likes

Just file this year by yourself and when they ask if your received them click “no”. Let them recoup from him.

4 Likes

You can claim the stimulus on your taxes this year if you didn’t receive them

3 Likes

Straight to your lawyer ASAP

4 Likes

You’re screwed… until you go to court

3 Likes

Contact the irs … I’m pretty sure they can file something and then him owe you that money I cant remember the name of the paperwork of hand

3 Likes

When you get said divorce you can file to get that back along with child support… I’m from Texas so if you’re in another state it might be different

2 Likes

Write it down in your divorce papers that he owes you that money

5 Likes

You can call the irs.

4 Likes

I am in the same boat! So frustrating! Have not been able to get in contact with IRS the last week due to high call volume. :rage::sob:

2 Likes

My daughter’s ex husband received her stimulus and there two boys . And she has custody of the boys . He’s not paying child support and he’s only gets the boys once or twice a month.

3 Likes

Certainly you have a divorce lawyer?

1 Like

Call IRS and I believe there is a form you can file. You have to send as much peoof as you can. Also get an attorney. If he is nasty now…it will get worse.

6 Likes

The dude laughing at everyone comments must be the ex husband Lolol

12 Likes