My toddler pretends she doesn't hear me when I ask her to do something...advice?

My 2 year old pretends that she can’t hear me I will ask her nicely multiple times to stop doing something like stop going in the closet or stop giving your toys to the dog or even something as simple as sit down and watch TV she ignores me and then when I yell she starts crying…why would she do this

26 Likes

I have a 2 year old… They don’t listen when they are not interested :roll_eyes: my 12 year old noticed and told me patience is a virtue :rofl::rofl: good luck mama its a phase and there will be many more! Brace yourself and embrace the challenge there will be better days I promise​:bouquet::kissing_heart:

My 2 year old does this. For example sometimes ill say what i want her to do, then i praise and thank her for doing what i asked(even if she hasnt done it) … and she loves the praise and me cheering her on so she does exactly what i told her and i follow up with kisses and showing extra affection … its a hit or miss, sometimes she still doesnt but i cut her some slack, she’s 2 and if i dont got my life together i dont expect her to be perfect either🤣

10 Likes

My two year old to. I get down to his level and tell him again and to listen to me and he cries. I tell him to cry in time out and when he is done I make him listen, but the next day we doing it again. :rofl: I think it’s their age and seeing what they get away with.

Redirection. So get up, go over and redirect her. Come here let’s play the piano together. I really like when you play and sing. But grab her hand and guide her. As for sitting and watching TV she’s 2. Her attention span is not very long.

1 Like

At that age they often times do better with you physically intervening/modeling the action you want her to engage in. Getting hearing checked and such wouldn’t hurt, but this is pretty typical age appropriate behavior.

9 Likes

2s are when they learn their boundaries with you. Learn what they can get away with and can’t. What tantrums get them what they want which ones don’t. I’d show her the tantrums will be ignored but listening right away will get treated with some form of reward.

When my son was 2 he never acknowledged anything I said and when I raised my voice he cried and said I hurt his ears . Turns out he he’s mildly deaf in both ears , I would suggest getting her hearing checked

5 Likes

Aaah… the joys of 2 year Olds. Learn 2 things now.

1. What did I say. Have her repeat it.
  2. I will count to 3.

My daughter did this . I use to get angry at her. Little did I know she need grommet’s. She actually couldn’t hear me… ist child.cheap her hearing

Idk mine have had selective hearing even as even in later years and yes their hearing is fine. It isnt manipulation. I have selective hearing as well. The child is 2 and distracted with whatever theyre concentrating on whether you think theyre concentrating or not. Gotta get down to their level and look them in the eye get their attention hold their attention and try again. Then youll find out whether or not your 2 yr old is being defiant or just genuinely didnt hear you bc they were concentrating on something else.

2 Likes

Easy …just repay the favour…pretend to not hear when she wants something

Because she’s a 2yr old child lol

2 Likes

I would probably cry too if I was two years old and the person who was supposed to be teaching me to know right and wrong and modeling the correct behavior started yelling at me :grimacing: She’s two… Get down to her level and show her what you would like her to do. But also, be thankful she doesn’t just want to sit and watch tv.

17 Likes

Are you sure she can hear you? I am not trying to sound mean, sorry. My grand daughter & daughter lives with us. We did not find out until pre-school she had a hearing problem. She can hear but certain sounds & pitches she can not hear. Background noises such as church bells that chime in the distance, some birds chirping. She wears hearing aids for that. I am not trying to scare you by any means. Just sharing my experience. I pray she is just being a 2 year old

2 Likes

Cause that’s what two year olds do. They’ll literally test you every second of the day to see what they can get away with. Just be consistent with her.

13 Likes

They don’t call him Terrible Twos for nothing good luck

1 Like

Maybe she really can’t hear you. My daughter wasn’t diagnosed as deaf until she was four. As far as yelling making her cry, even if she can hear you it shuts their little brains down. She’s just at the age where boundary testing is normal too, just be patient with her, good luck mama.

2 Likes

Touch her gently on the shoulder then speak so you’re getting her attention. Or get to her level and get eye contact. She’s probably fixated on what she is doing and not intentionally not listening

3 Likes

That’s totally normal toddler behavior. First of all, DON’T YELL.

Instead of telling her what not to do, tell her what TO do. Instead of talking AT her from across the room, go over to her, redirect her, and show her what is actually ok for her to do instead. Use a calm and assertive voice.

Tbh, at two years old, she might not even know what some of the words you say even mean. Depends on whether she’s barely two or almost three.

The problem here is you want a two year old to be self correcting. That is not developmentally appropriate. She doesn’t know how yet.

1 Like

It’d called selective deafness
Its lasts forever
Especially in teens and men
Lol

1 Like

Make sure her hearing is ok.

Give her plenty to keep her busy plus sometimes other children.

My 4 year old does this. Lord help me!

1 Like

Because she’s 2, next question

1 Like

Cause she is 2. They don’t have impulse control. Teach it. And of course she cries who wants to be yelled at?

4 Likes

I’m just mentioning…incase. I had hearing issues as a young child and I really could not hear until someone basically yelled. Just like you describe. When I was looking at them I could sometimes lip read.

Try making a game out of it. Like lets see how many it takes you to do this then count it might help .

Because she’s two years old and that’s what they do???

1 Like

This is just the beginning… MWAHAHAHAHHA

Get down on her level make her look at you , tell what ever it is and then have her repeat it to you . Each and every time . She’s 2 don’t expect much from her at thar age.

1 Like

Selective hearing. She does it to ignore you. She likes what’s in the closet, sharing with the dog & not sitting still.

She is 2, until she turns 25 she will push boundaries, the best advice I got when my kids were little is make sure she is looking at you in the face as you talk to her then gave her repeat what you say. If she gives the toy to the dog let the dog keep it or throw it in the garbage and don’t replace it ever.

12 Likes

Has she had a recent hearing test? My daughter is partially deaf in 1 ear and she didn’t like anything loud as it bothered her when she was little

Honestly they’re preoccupied with whatever they are doing…get on their level and get her attention. If you’re a yeller then their brains actually adapts to ignore you (it’s the brain trying to keep itself safe )

She’s 2… and she may not understand what your asking her if your asking her with lots of words…

Like my 2 year old I would tell him
“Hey bug can you stop throwing your toy”
That’s a lot for a 2 year old to take in and process
So instead I say
“Bug no throwing toys”
You have to simplify what your saying and not use big words that they may not understand
And she maybe crying because is possible she just dose not understand what your asking and now your yelling and for a 2 year old I’m sure that’s scary.

Remember she’s only 2 and she’s learning every day.
Short simple and to the point.

2 Likes

Get to her level an take any distractions I tell my son “eyeballs” make that eye contact and not yell but stern voice tell them what’s up. You don’t want her acting like that in school, it’s rough

She may not be ignoring you. Take her to the doctor and have her Hearing tested. My mom thought the same of me and it turns out that I’m deaf. I also have 2 deaf children. Hearing loss can happen to anyone at any age.

1 Like

I don’t know, maybe because she is 2

3 Likes

First of all if you feel the need to yell at a 2 year old there’s something wrong with you. It’s just a toddler , stop expecting them to behave like they are older . If your too immature being a good parent give her to someone that will . You should be ashamed for yelling at a 2 year old. At this age alot of what you say to her , she does not understand , you need to teach , kids not yell at them. Get over yourself.

1 Like

She is manipulating you. If you have to tell her more than once, she is working you.

3 Likes

Our kids are obviously tiny terr0rists that be g@sl!ghting us, then have US apologise & feel like bad parents when they cry bc they just made us yell, having the audacity to startle them. It is what it is.

Because shes 2 you fucking idiot

She does it because she’s two!

You can’t talk to her from the couch or across the room. You need to physically get up, go to her, get on her level, make eye contact and speak to her like she’s a person… because she is!

You’re the one responsible for teaching her and guiding her.

1 Like

Yeah, shes crying because youre yelling. Shes 2 years old. They dont want to do anything, you pretty much dont ask them , just explain whats happening and do it. If you act with all calmness the kida sort of follow along eventually. Them co operating is later, at 3 yrs or so they realise they are a separate human.

1 Like

Quit yelling at her might be a good start

1 Like

She isn’t ‘pretending’ to ignore you- she’s too young for that. Are you sure her hearing is good? If so, she is just absorbed in her own little world of play. She’s not being naughty, please don’t shout and make her cry. Go over to her, get down to her eye level, say her name and then a couple of words to give her the information. When she responds, praise her and say thank you, good listening.

2 Likes

Are you sure she’s pretending?

My dad would have gave me a good woopin, next time i would mind him. Very simple.

I pretend I can’t hear my kids either… probably why they pretend they can’t hear me. :woman_shrugging::joy::joy:

1 Like

I would get her hearing checked. My friends son would do this until she got his hearing checks and he needed tubes on his ears. He simple couldn’t hear her until she was yelling.

Currently dealing with the same situation :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its normal and frustrating.

That’s most kids if they don’t want to do something they ignore u. I just talk to them and if they are having a hard time doing some simple like pick up after them self I ask of they want my help and make sure they our helping me I sometimes give rewards on the hard stuff to do.

I would consider getting her hearing checked before you just decide that a two-year-old is just ignoring you

Out of curiosity… how do you think a 2 year old (who knows pretty much nothing and probably find it hysterical) should behave?
When my 2 year old does something naughty like take all the shoes out of the shoe cubbies then I have her help me put them back, she usually only does a pair or two of shoes, but I mean she’s only 2.
If she bites her siblings I try to talk to her about how she’s feeling and how we do not ever bite. Maybe timeout for 30 seconds max.
2 year olds need to be taught everything. Monkey see monkey do. If you start yelling at her she may start yelling back at you. I know two is a hard age. Just keep trying to teach her.

Had Dr check ears for wax buildup?

Are you making eye contact when asking her, also have her repeat what you asked of her

2yr olds are all about pushing boundaries.

Ask child to do A once, if not done, direct child to do A.

If 2yr old child doesn’t do, calmly ask why are you not doing A. Child may not understand direction, or find it more amusing or fun to do what they are doing.

If child doesn’t respond, remove favourite toy until child does A.
Or remove distracting thing, and redirect child to do A.

If child still doesn’t want to do A, give a warning that A needs to be done and explain why (and offer assistance to do A).

Welcome to little ones exploring what they want, and who they are.

Patience is the key.
Never yell.
Never argue.

If you ever have to argue with your child regardless of age, you have lost the battle before it began (walk away and think about why it’s so important that you win).

Shes 2 :thinking: why would you yell at her ???

Because she’s two and completely irrational and illogical. Let natural consequences teach a lesson if it’s safe to do so. Let her give the toy to the dog to chew up and don’t replace it. She will remember the dog destroying the toy. She’s also going to remember you yelling at her and she was scared and cried. She won’t remember why you yelled, just the fear she feels when you are doing it.

What do you expect from a 2 ur old? Either that there’s something wrong with her hearing

Stop yelling at her would be a good start she is 2 for gods sake

Stop telling her what NOT to do, and give her what she CAN DO.

Example… she puts her feet on the couch
You say “feet on floor”

Also; why are you forcing her to watch tv? She’s giving you all the signs that she needs more than screen time.

Stop expecting your kids to come out grown and knowing right from wrong. She’s 2.

Stop yelling at your 2 year old and grow up. She’s two years old, you really need to educate yourself on child development like yesterday.