Nasty rental situation with sister in law, help!

Thats messed up and un acceptable family will do you dirtier than a stranger

Rent to own is almost always a scam

1 Like

Never make a deal with family unless it is in writtingā€¦they will screw you faster then anyoneā€¦b

4 Likes

Assuming this was all during the pandemic and eviction moratorium in place I bet the reason she said she was moving in and that you destroyed the place was because that was one of the very few exceptions to the moratorium and if she tried to just kick you out she literally would be breaking the moratorium and you could sue her and stay there :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Always take pictures and video of the place when you move on or out and get everything in writing!!

2 Likes

Dont do business.with friends or relatives period

1 Like

Was there a contract for rent to own? Was anything documented? If this agreement was verbal then the agreement means nothing and all you did was rent from her.

Even when its family, get it in writing. I wish you could trust people but some just lie and deceive you, friends and family both. Just move forward, she will never apologize, people n the wrong rarely do, they blame others, LOL. However, never forget or trust so blindly again. God says we should love one another, and we can as fellow humans, but he never said we had to like everyone. Always be glad you are the better person, it all evens in eternity, I can live with that and go happily on my way.

Not sure what state you live in but Iā€™m pretty sure she couldnā€™t legally have you move out on a rent to own contract if you were paying 6 months in advance. The $20K you said you invested was that in rent or the down payment? Iā€™d gather all documents and hire an attorney. After all, she said she was moving back in as her reason to having you move out and a year later the house is still empty. Donā€™t let the statute of limitations expire on this. That may be what sheā€™s hoping for since she didnā€™t move back in. I hope you get your money back. :crossed_fingers:

Written agreement! See a lawyer!

Was there a legal agreement signed by all of you with lawyers involved? I understand she is your sister but sometimes families are the worse to deal with when it comes to things like this. It also sounds as if someone may have been jealous and spiteful. Stop dwelling on it in the long run it is her loss not yours. Just look at it as you were paying rent for somewhere to live and you have moved on to bigger and better things.

1 Like

Sheā€™s not worth your tears. You are a good person , donā€™t let it bother you. You are better than her live your life without her. Unfortunately there are horrible people in this world.

You have equity paid in that house. Shoulda took her to court

Cut your losses and your ties. Youā€™ll be much happier.

1 Like

If you donā€™t have it in writing you have nothing to fall back on. Always have a paper trail. Time to just move on and consider this a lesson you certainly learned from.

Went thru the same thing. RENT TO OWN. I put in 120k into the house. Only had to pay another 40kā€¦ 6 years wastedā€¦ got 3 months behind. Then when I got caught up and current as soon as tgat check cleared they gave us a 30 evictionā€¦ Lesson learned. Everything with lawyers. Pay the $1500 feeā€¦ then Everything is with the courts.

Iā€™m sorry but if you can afford 6 months rent upfront every time then why didnā€™t you just buy a house.
And family or not she was your landlord. She has every right to evict tenants like every other landlord does.
A verbal contract is just as good as a signed contract. A contract is a contract.

First of allā€¦your sisterinlaw sounds like a B####

Pumpkin spice anyone ? , thatā€™s what i was here for .

Iā€™m no lawyer but Iā€™d be looking into whether she was allowed to legally do this!! Iā€™d def be looking into any legal recourse you might have concerning this issue.

2 Likes

She sounds like a bitch!! Good riddance!! Iā€™d be very upset too. Honestly Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d react but what comes to mind with the 30 days to move would be absolutely not! Depending on how long you live there you have a certain time to be given to move like up to 120 days I think. I wouldnā€™t have gone quietly thatā€™s for sure. Some people have no remorse thoughā€¦

4 Likes