Needing advice about a previous situation

until I informed my coworker who notified the best friend and the patients son who was adopted as a baby to another family (they’ve reconnected 20 years ago and developed a relationship). They all expressed their concerns and begged me to intervene. I told them it’s not in my power to revoke POA or secure her banking but I did contact APS (adult protective services) if the poa is doing something wrong they can handle all issues. My coworker made an appointment with a lawyer for advice and we all went together. Basically there’s nothing we could do since her dementia is to far advanced. My coworker still wanted to pursue gaining POA and also called another social worker to advice them of the situation. Anyway NOW: my coworker and I got into an argument because she lies on her time and reports being there when she’s not and does absolutely nothing for the patient. She recorded me saying I called social services and whatever else and I was fired the next day!! The POA also fired my daughter and her friend saying she needed to cut all contact with me to keep her safe!! based on her text message I’m scared she wants to come after me legally and I’m worried my coworker has lied to save her job to save herself! It’s a private pay job so I can’t sue for wrongful termination or collect unemployment. I just feel bad for my daughter and wish I never opened my mouth. Should I feel guilty, or fear I crossed a legal boundary? Heartbroken for my patient because my daughter and I were the only people that loved her, spent time with her and didn’t want her money.

59 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Needing advice about a previous situation - Mamas Uncut

This makes very little sense.

20 Likes

I’m really not sure what is happening in this post!

10 Likes

You got fired for doing what seemed right. Same has happened to many people. Its a hard reality to face. Idk about sueing over that, seems excessive

2 Likes

As a medical professional, I am afraid for the patient. She will be taken advantage of, and possibly neglected. If there is money involved, then they will do what it takes to keep her isolated and then they can do what they want, and have ZERO accountability for her well being. I have seen this exact scenario many times. The patient comes to hospital in such bad condition, and then the “caregivers” tell us that they just got that way. I have always contacted social work, as well as the adults in care program. If something feels wrong, its 100% wrong. This patients life is at stake here, regardless of her dementia. Do what you have too, to get the patient out of that situation, regardless that you no longer work for her.

11 Likes

Sounds like your coworker wanted you fired and out of way

7 Likes

You can sue a private pay job and can also collect unemployment

1 Like

So long as you’re own heart was in the right place and you was trying to help you shouldn’t feel guilty about it I had someone try and make Hu me drag lift someone before (I completely refused ) some horrible stuff went down there the good ones unfortunately always get the stick when you stand up for what is right

1 Like

I THINK I’m concerned for the patient….? I think…. It’s impossible to actually make sense of this post

5 Likes

There was a post few days ago about a patient neing taken advantage off in case anyone is wondering what they are missing out.

4 Likes

I don’t see a question, so just keep on keeping on. Your ramble lost hold of my attention span somewhere in the middle of your 1st sentence. lol

2 Likes

What??? I don’t understand

2 Likes

I think that patient should be far away from all of u …and kept safe

1 Like

I would consult an attorney. Just to be safe. Then I would distance myself from the whole situation. It’s a shame that lady is getting taken advantage of that way, but there’s nothing you can do. There’s a special place in hell for people who take advantage of elderly relatives who can’t watch out for themselves.

4 Likes

I don’t understand what’s being said here…??

6 Likes

The patient’s family should be handling this. AND your ex co worker should not be given POA! If there is no family then someone (legal) should be appointed as guardian.

1 Like

I do not think that you crossed a line because you were trying to look after a defenseless patient but you should have never involved anyone else, when you are doing something like this discretion is a key .You already knew that her son wanted nothing to do with the case neither take care of her . You already lose your lose , so try to make sure that a social worker is investigating the case .

2 Likes

This is a continuation from a previous post I believe. I remember it. Like I said in the previous post the patients son should be the one to try and revoke the cousins (I think) POA. If you called cause you had actual concerns they can’t come after you legally cause you did nothing wrong. At this point there is nothing else you can do, the family has to take action.

Wow….this story is all over the place :flushed: no comprende :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

I think your former co worker needs to be reported and I don’t find anything confusing in this post . The author cares about her patient isn’t that a good thing and if she has over stepped then I’m glad because no one else including son of this poor woman with dementia and the worker is looking after her patient good on you but don’t let your co worker get away with what she has done to you and your daughter and I would hate to be her patient

As a care taker you are bound by law to report suspected abuse.

1 Like

I can’t make heads or tails of this. Even with some of your explanations. I pray she can work it out.

2 Likes

Do your job care for her but stay out of family affairs you’ve been in that family 5 minutes as care person they’ve been there all their lives, so to assume you and your daughter are the only one’s who loved her ia unfair!, you state you and your daughter didn’t want her money lol but it’s her money that paid your wages and your daughter, you didn’t do that job out of love, love don’t have a price tag!

2 Likes

POA’s are usually given to family- unless otherwise stated in legal documentation… ao good or bad as they may be this is usually how it goes- now other family members can take it to court or provide evidence that the person is unfit to be the POA.
You were not wrong for reporting it as a cna i would as well. However your coworker sounds like a back stabber and set you up

All you can do is try. Unfortunately, the tryers will attract scavengers that think they can get a slice and will bump u off their bandwagon.

1 Like

So I had made a post recently about a lady my daughter and I care for with dementia. Her cousin who lives several states away is the POA (power of attorney) and she was closing bank accounts and moving money to make her self the beneficiary when the patient dies. This way she can avoid following the will and she inherits the funds. At the time I didn’t think it was a big deal.
until I informed my coworker who notified the best friend and the patients son who was adopted as a baby to another family (they’ve reconnected 20 years ago and developed a relationship). They all expressed their concerns and begged me to intervene. I told them it’s not in my power to revoke POA or secure her banking but I did contact APS (adult protective services) if the poa is doing something wrong they can handle all issues. My coworker made an appointment with a lawyer for advice and we all went together. Basically there’s nothing we could do since her dementia is to far advanced. My coworker still wanted to pursue gaining POA and also called another social worker to advice them of the situation. Anyway NOW: my coworker and I got into an argument because she lies on her time and reports being there when she’s not and does absolutely nothing for the patient. She recorded me saying I called social services and whatever else and I was fired the next day!! The POA also fired my daughter and her friend saying she needed to cut all contact with me to keep her safe!!:sob: based on her text message I’m scared she wants to come after me legally and I’m worried my coworker has lied to save her job to save herself! It’s a private pay job so I can’t sue for wrongful termination or collect unemployment. I just feel bad for my daughter and wish I never opened my mouth. Should I feel guilty, or fear I crossed a legal boundary? Heartbroken for my patient because my daughter and I were the only people that loved her, spent time with her and didn’t want her money.

1 Like

Is the coming from the same poster from a few weeks ago that was worried someone from the family was taking POA illegally and nobody else in the family wanted it??