Needing advice on what products to use for my biracial daughter

Hi all! I need some help. I have a biracial daughter and was wondering what kind of products you would recommend. I have tried everything over the years. Our favorite at the moment is carols daughters. Her hair is mixed of straight and super curly and super thick. She’s going through a phase where she doesn’t like it because she’s not able to brush or style it herself (11) we get her hair braided with beads, but she is so tender-headed she hates it. What are your thoughts on relaxers at 11? I remind her every day how beautiful she is and how I would love to have her hair, but I need suggestions. Is just for kids relaxers any good?

17 Likes

Get a denman brush and keep her hair conditioned and oiled

Don’t relax it. It will never be the same. Check out YouTube for some ideas

If her head hurts then you need to tell braiders to take it easy, if the pull to tight they can pull her hair out from root :cry:happened to my daughter.

My mom used relaxers on mine and my sisters hair when we were young and it made our hair more manageable but it changed the texture forever

Curly kids!! Its amazing for biracial hair :blush:

Oddly enough suave has worked well for us along with the Cantu products. I too have tried every frizzy, thick, dry, moisturizing item on the market! My kids hair isnt overly thick but def curly and a little frizzy. Oh and tresume gel in number 4 or 5!!

Look for the curly girl method Facebook page there is a wealth of knowledge that can help you

Carols daughter and twisted sista hair products, I only co wash with carols daughter conditioner and add a little extra to hair to leave in after rinsing. I never touch my sons hair with a comb or fingers once it’s about half way dry and I find it looks best when he cooperates and lets me hand form his curls while damp after applying product. It’s taken me time to figure out what works best for his hair and at only 18 months it just continues to change on me lol!:heart:

Cantu for kids. Or a lil pink oil moisturizer

Relaxers aren’t good for anyone at any age. And on very thick very curly hair, it tends to turn to a straw like texture quickly!! Gonna have to teach her to embrace that hair… wish my mother did that for me. Mixed chicks is great product line, and buy a good hair straightener!

Go find a store or beauty shop that sells products for black woman and girls they can help you

1 Like

I would recommend a Brazilian Blowout :100:

Please check out the Facebook page mommies of biracial babies. Lots of wonderful advice. Please, please, no relaxers. Every hair type is different. What works for some doesn’t work for others and hair will develop a resistance after a while. You’ll have to switch it up.

If you want to pursue a relaxer, please don’t do it at home, and no offense, but please don’t take her to a white salon. They aren’t always trained properly on ethnic hair and can do more damage than good. Find a reputable black salon (good place to start would be to ask her father’s female relatives where they go if that’s an option), set her up an appointment for a q&a, and then allow her to be part of the decision from there.

Not every biracial girl or woman wants to rock the natural look, and frankly some resent the extra effort it takes to do anything with our hair compared to that of our white moms or sisters. If she wants to relax her hair for convenience (it will make her life so much easier when her hair is more manageable, trust me), I think you should look into it. I’ve had mine done since I was seven or eight.

They can also take a look hands on at the texture and moisture needs for her hair personally, and assist you towards products whether she decides to relax or keep it natural. But I have a permanent bald spot from my licensed grandmother using one of those home relaxers that I’ve had since I was about eight or nine, and I’ve never used a home kit since lol. I’m giving you the exact same advice someone gave my mom after the bald spot, in hopes to get you pointed the right direction before the bald spot even has a chance to happen. Good luck!

I would not recommend a relaxer. Relaxers aren’t very good for the hair or scalp. If done improperly, your daughter’s hair could fall out, and she won’t be allowed to scratch her scalp when it is time for her to relax her hair again. If she does scratch her scalp, her scalp will burn when the relaxer is being applied. I recommend sticking with the braid and trying an excellent detangler like Kinky-Curly hair detangler. I use it on my hair, and my hair is thick, bushy, and curly.

Keep a wide toothed comb in the shower. Have her comb through her hair only when conditioning…rinse and if needed use fingers to comb through while towel drying… Put on preferred products (curly kids is good, but I’m sure she’ll try many as she grows) scrunch if needed and let dry naturally.
My sister has 3 biracial kids and just now learning the proper way to care for them beautiful curls.

Get a Silk press or the Instyler tool is what i use.

Check out the curly girl method. Please don’t chemically straighten her hair. It will ruin her natural wave and body of her hair. Even the Brazilian blowout is dangerous.

Brazilian … this works

I personally use shea moisture curl and styl milk (coconut & hibiscus) it was redommended to me by a biracial girl whos hair is phenomenal. I rarely have a frizzy day anymore and it helps when brushing it after showering. It is the only product i use besides shampoo and conditioner and my hair has never been healthier than it is right now😊

LUS and DevaCurl are good brands. I’m currently leaning more towards LUS but there is a learning curve with both.

My 9yo daughter is biracial. We’ve used a bunch of stuff: coconut oil, Africa’s Best, olive oil, Cantu, etc. We’ve used “texture softeners” for a few years now. The “Just For Me” brand with no lye, made for kids. We use it maybe 2x/yr. If we don’t, her hair gets so matted as the new growth tangles so easily when she sleeps. My daughter HATES her curls because of the maintenance it requires. We try to keep it manageable without removing all the curl because I want her to learn to like her hair. She’s never had braids, but we’re entertaining the idea for a change of style. Biggest thing you can do to help her hair: condition, condition, condition! Only shampoo her hair 1x/week. Use sulphate free/paraben free products. Condition the other times she bathes. That’s really helped my kiddo.

I would not reccomend a relaxer either however there is a curling jelly by AS I AM that ive been using for months now and it keeps friz away better than anything ive ever tried. I also have thick curly long hair and went through the same stage she is in. She can also leave a little of her conditioner in her hair after showering.

Have you thought about calling a beauty salon and asking for recommendations. Maybe talk to her doctor.

Hey there! I’m biracial and know the struggle. Depending on what look you’re going for and budget I can help… I’ve tried everything… Literally! For one you don’t want to wash her hair with regular shampoo… I would use a co-wash… Shampoo will dry her hair out too much and make it frizzy. I cowash personally once a week… I use Pantenes currently and I have hair down to my waist and it does a great job. For curly styling I use Herbal Essence Toussle me softly mousse with Garnier spray gel… They make the mousse in a stronger hold as well. If my hair is looking dry I get a cap deep conditioning mask from either Sally beauty supply or Ulta … Redken makes one called Megasoft… It’s $8. Then I use Miss Jessie’s pillow soft curls instead of my usual curly styling regimen for a few days. I personally don’t like my hair to feel or look crunchy… Get a really good conditioner that will help a lot… I use Megasoft by Redken… It has protein in it to prevent damage and breaking. As for relaxing chemically that’s your call as her mom… I relaxed my hair for the first time when I was 12. I loved it! But it takes a lot of time and practice to learn how to style your own hair straight… If you do decide to relax it please know there’s a chance it won’t be permanent. In my case it lasts about 6 months of washes and my curl comes back… A lot looser though which I like. The relaxer I’ve used and have found to be the best is Parnevu with tea tree oil… It’s been the least damaging in my case and worked the best… Hope this helps… Feel free to PM me if you have questions

I definitely recommend Cantu hair products. I have some biracial friends who use it and love it because it’s not expensive (5 dollars a bottle around me) and it works great. I use it because I have dry hair and it completely changed my hair! I get mine at Walmart.

4 Likes

They do have kids relaxera. But as a kid who gad relaxed hair at 12 and the adult I am now, i wish my mom had never messed with my hair. Join the Curly Girl group. I use Kinky Curly products and Curls. It is trial and error and a lot of protective styles! You can do it!

5 Likes

I use Cantu on my mixed daughter works amazing !

My guy is mixed and super tender headed as well. This works amazing on his hair. You get it at Sally Beauty Supply.

2 Likes

I use Cantu for my babies hair. They’re half black & half Portuguese n Irish. I love how well it works.

1 Like

A relaxer would kill her hair. My daughter uses mixed chicks leave in conditioner and honey baby’s hair mask and that works really well for her curls

2 Likes

Don’t relax her hair. You can YouTube a bunch of people to learn more of how to deal with her hair. BiancaReneetoday, Manes by Mell and Hi Felicia have YouTube channels you can watch. Cantu is okay but can be drying after a while, eden has some good products for moisture.

2 Likes

Please don’t do it! I am fully African American and I can attest to the fact that chemical relaxers and heat damages curly hair! Please find products that moisture her hair and have her wear protective styles like buns or twists. This will help her hair flourish :heart:

3 Likes

Castor oil works great for my girl who is half white and half black but has a full afro. I also like cantu as everyone has stated to but think castor oil works best for mine x

1 Like

Not biracial…but I’ve got thick curly hair that tangles super easy. My youngest has babydoll type curls that tangle super easy…
Cantu is what my hairdresser reccomended. I’ve used it and like it.
I also comb it in the shower.
I put a ton of conditioner on it then comb it out under the water as the conditioner rinses out.
For the kid we use a regular detangler. But i start in the middle of the strand and hold his hair closer to the scalp to help keep from pulling his hair too much.

I just use coconut oil on my daughters hair. I have works wonders

My daughter is 2 and uses the mixed chicks line (shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner, and oil) u can get the full set for $50. She is black/white with really thick curly hair, this stuff works wonders

Try mixed chicks products. I would not relax it.

1 Like

Cantu products and raw Shea butter. You can rub it in the palms of your hands to soften and apply to her hair.

Mixed kids curly curl cream/and or lotion has been a winner with us

1 Like

Shea moisture is really good product

Oh your life is sooooooo hard.

6 Likes

cantu shea butter is one of the best things to use

You need to join the group for the curly girl method

Mixed chick products.

Do not relax it. Find you a black owned salon and get a hot oil treatment if need be, no heat is best if you can find someone who can do it. Your best bet would to find a local shop and talk with those ladies.

Please research Curly girl method. Cantu and diva curl products are my go to

There are curly Girl groups for people with curly hair, I joined two of them to try to find ways to manage my daughters curly hair and it’s really helpful

1 Like

I use cantu leave in conditioner for mine and my daughters hair she’s not mixed but she has curls and it works really good

I have a mixed daughter with super thick and very curly hair. We struggled to find products bc traditional products geared toward “black” hair was too much and traditional products geared toward “white” hair didn’t maintain it. I finally had a mixed friend who recommended DevaCurl products and we’ve never looked back. They are pricier but so worth it in the end

Get a detangler brush meant for her hair texture

I have tried so many different hair products for my girls. I get dove intense moisture conditioner and mix it with water in a spray bottle. Best detangler spray i ever used!

If possible ones a week put coconut oil on her hair and leave it for several hours or over night. It helps hydrate her hair.

Check out curly hair groups because it’s impossible to say without seeing her hair. Curly girl uncensored is one I love.
Our favorite product is Shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil leave in, but again without knowing kiddos hair type exactly, it’s hard to say if it’d be too greasy/heavy for her hair

Curly Girls! (Conditioner-Washing Group for Women)

Im white and i cant brush my hair unless its wet. I wouldnt focus on that part. Shes just got curly hair like many others!
(Yes i understand the texture of real curly hair that a lot of African Americans have)
But all us curly haired girls have a love hate relationship with it. Everyone wants what they dont have.

Id embrace it not relax it!

Mizani! Had ladies swear by it. It’s a professional/salon brand, and is not cheap but it smells amazing and works wonders! Embrace the curls tho. Teach her, it’s harder work keeping natural healthy hair than it is to keep relaxing it but oh so worth it. Relaxer is ACID, it eats away that other layer of hair and breaks the bonds making the curl. I’ve seen grown women sit thru a relaxer with their head ON FIRE, chemical burns on their scalp damn near, just to get straight hair? Hell no!
Product and a straightener can do that just fine and she won’t lose her edges! No braids either, theyll do the same thing eventually!

Curly Girl Method! The fb group is super friendly and helpful!

Simply flat iron it. My granddaughter do and it’s lovely.

When I was with my son’s dad I always used ultra sheen hair grease. I also absolutely love garnier whole blends shampoo and conditioner and is use a cream (not liquid) leave in conditioner too

Bed head was the leave in conditioner I used on her.

I use Cantu products. They work wonders.

Simple product like Moroccan oil after washing towel dry brush it and add oil to the ends it will soften her hair and keep the curls, but shop for a good morrocan oil not the cheap stuff, get her hair straightened every now and then to correct this mixture of hair, and only brush it when it’s wet and in the shower with conditioner in it after that don’t touch it