Needing brastfeeding advice as I am going back to work

I am going back to work in a couple weeks and I’m currently just breastfeeding, idk how to start the process of pumping for work, cause I feed my newborn every 3 hours , this is my first time :blush:

6 Likes

Definitely get her used to a bottle before leaving her with someone.

3 Likes

Start extra pumping from now. Freeze it. Leave that with the babysitter and then pump at work and leave in the fridge until u get home to freeze. First in first out. I did it for 6 months but honestly if I had to do it again I would probably start giving formula earlier. It drains the hell out of u… already u don’t sleep at night, then work and finding privacy to pump and worrying if they will take the pumped milk in the bottle… ughhh it was so hard! Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi LC here! You want to start pumping 1-2 times per day a week to week in a half in advance. Pump for 25 minutes. Yoy wll feed baby as you normall would, youre just adding 1-2 more timed ypu will empty your breasts. When you go back to work you will pump during the same time you would feed baby. All day milk you pump will be for next day. Do not focus on having a huge freezer supply. This causes stress and unnecessary pressure.

Pump a little more than you need for your first shift back to work. You can do this by pumping after each feed until you got enough. Pump again right before you leave for work emptying your breast completely. Make sure to pump on your regular regular feeding schedule while at work. Also, make sure whoever will be feeding the baby knows how to do pace feeding to see sure babe doesn’t develop a bottle preference. 

Coming from someone who only pumped since my daughter was born, I went back to work when she was 4 months and I would put on the way to work, then on the first break, then at lunch break, then last break, and finally on the way home. I put the milk that I would pump into a cooler type bag then put them in the refrigerator. I will warn you though if you can not pump long enough you will fill up with milk and hurt!!!