Needing Christmas ideas!

I need some Christmas ideas! So this year, we want to try the four gift method. Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read. I just feel like my kids will appreciate their gifts so much more if we do it that way, and we won’t go broke trying to do it. My question is, what are some ideas for the “something you need” gift? I have a 6, 4, and 2 years old. That’s the only one I’m having trouble figuring out. Thank you in advance!

49 Likes

PJ’s, slippers, robe

2 Likes

My mom got us a new blanket and sheet set every Christmas.

I usually do toothbrushes as stocking stuffers. But if you do a bundle? Get them fancy toothbrushes that light up or play music. And get them their own mouthwashes. They have cool ones with characters and pumps.

1 Like

Toothbrush and toothpaste, bubble bath. Combs/ brushes.

1 Like

Shoes, clothes, new bed sheets/pillows

Maybe new winter coats, gloves and hats. If you can afford it.

2 Likes

Clothes, shoes, maybe an educational game

P.s. this is a very awesome idea also. Thank you for sharing… So many people go broke when it really isn’t necessary to.

Nice, new backpacks or cool school supplies?

Cloths, bath stuff, bedding set

1 Like

My parents bought us underwear and socks every Christmas. Even as adults. :woman_facepalming:t4:

For a two year old? Don’t they need everything? Lol but really new PJs with characters they like or pop up books or texture touchable type books. They have really fun bath kits for them too, that has color paint foam that you can also way them with and other little things in it like tooth brush and all that type stuff but that appeals to them. PJs is a good idea for all their ages too. But for the older two, new warm fluffy blankets and also school and daycare supplies, like back packs and crayons, coloring books. New shoes if needed. Or ear muffs and mittens. Knit hats. Their own Christmas cups. Really I could keep going. Didn’t have alot of money when my kids were those ages so I had to get inventive too.

Clothes , socks , pajamas

1 Like

When we did that method, we would do a trip to someplace fun (the want) with a gift certificate (home-made coupon) for anything they wanted to eat at the restaurant we’d enjoy while on the trip (amusement park, hike, boat ride, whatever) so they could have ice cream for dinner, pizza, whatever. Then the wear was a shirt from the place we were going to visit or some item of clothing related to the adventure and the read was a book about or a journal to record entries about the trip or some book related to the trip (a hiking / survival guide for when we went hiking, etc.)

Also kids that age rarely think about something being brand new. You can actually find awesome things at thrift stores and yard sales. Thrift stores are better for more gently used. But I did my share of picking over every thrift store in town. Just don’t wait till last minute for those options though. Nice and cheap things go quick towards end of November.

Underwear and toothpaste

Also never underestimate the value of things you make yourself for them. Kids love making things for their parents, and they love getting things made by their parents at this age. It doesn’t have to be elaborate either. You can get a plain red place mat, like for the table ya know, get some green and red paint. Using your hand you make a circle of hand prints with green paint with your fingers splayed outward, it creates a wreath, use your finger tips at the center of each print to make red berries. You can make one for each of them with their name on. Or do it as a family activity with results you can keep their whole lives. And you’ll spend less than ten dollars for materials. That’s just one is but there’s so many. That one was from my child hood though we did ours on hemp mats.i still have it, later did the same with my kids and still have those

Underwer, socks, pj’s, diapers, shoes

How about a coupon type thing for a day out (one on one) give the child a couple options and let them pick the activity. Who doesn’t need one on one attention :heart:

2 Likes

Christmas PJ’S matching if possible. Take their picture in front of your tree or fireplace. Make it a tradition and when they are older with children of their own. Their kids will enjoy seeing the pictures.

1 Like

Come back after thanksgiving for Xmas ideas!

2 Likes

Socks, underwear, toothbrush, new shoes, school supplies

Toothbrushes, new crayons to practice writing, a coupon for special time with mom, new clothes, new step stool, anything that is a hand me down can be replaced with something new for you.

I have always done this with my kids… I get them pajamas (one year they each got a matching pair). Santa gets them a couple books, some new clothes & then whatever they are interested in at the time (ping pong table, art desk, new instrument)

Pop up books are great gifts for kids

I always gave my children new pjs

Comforters ,shoes , raincoat and boots

1 Like

They need time with momma maybe a Disney movie.

Need gift is usually something for school or something for their rooms we have done this for the past 5 years & it makes Christmas so much easier. Boys get £100 budget each & have to pick three things per category so it’s still a surprise (started at ages 15,9&8)

Underwear, people always need underwear. Was a standard present under the tree as a kid. As an adult with a family Mom still got me underwear.

Kites and bikes and marbles and swimming and forests and art supplies and magic x

Clothes, school items, stationary

Undies, shoes, warm hats/gloves, body care?

Pjs, socks, undies, electric pencil sharpener…

Clothes, shoes, socks, hats, school things, hygiene, favorite snacks, favorite foods, favorite drinks - the possibilities are endless

1 Like

I do a Christmas Eve box . I put in a pair of Jammies , A Movie Popcorn , hot chocolate , a Christmas book & slippers and have my son open it Christmas Eve

6 Likes

Lol clothes? That’s probably the most important need they need.

I buy a nice battery operated toothbrush for each kid every Christmas. They usually have designs or characters something fun.

1 Like

We’re doing the snowman gifts this year. Bottom is a toy, middle is clothes, top is snacks, gift card hanging from the front. I would think a need would be like some fun bath soap, bubbles, new cool toothbrush…

13 Likes

Underwear, oral hygiene products, sippy cups, utensils…

Last year we did shoes.

Bath soap sets, and toothbrush sets, made for kids

Clothes and shoes for sure

I’ve been doing this for the last 4 years! Greatest idea

I’m actually going to be doing this from now on!!!

Snow boots and hat, scarf and gloves in their favorite characters?

You need love. So get them tickets or take them somewhere to enjoy and love as a family

1 Like

Following I just need ideas to get my 3 year old!

I do practical, like clothing, bedding sets, hygienic products but here’s some ideas
Want Need Wear Read: Simplify Gift Giving With These American Made Holiday Gift Ideas • USA Love List

Coats gloves hats or clothes in general

A new toothbrush, vitamins ?

Following! This is such a great idea!

Seems more like an idea for when their older. They might not understand. It’s so much cheaper to buy gifts at their age then when their older. Spoil them, their only young once.

3 Likes

Everyone needs new socks & underwear.
:green_heart::heart::green_heart::heart:

Maybe nightlights of scared of the dark. Cute towels thats they can wear after bath time

My idea is you need family bonding time, so I will do a gift card to movies, or we will do a family miniature golf day, etc… something to bond and have fun with all together.

Clothes shoes learning toys

Pajamas. We always got to open them on Christmas Eve so we also got cute Christmas Day photos

I always do educational for the need. Or even experiences like trips tickets etc. We do the five gift rule. One want, one need, one wear, one read, and one donate.

1 Like

I always do Socks and underwear, toothbrush, fun kids mouthwash, pjs, slippers, shoes/boots for the “need”

I think a lot of you are missing the “something you wear” as you’re suggesting clothes :joy: :joy: for the “something you need”… So obviously clothes are a need but it defeats the 4 present system if they get double clothes… What I do for my kids who are 3,5,7,10 on “need” item is stuff like axe deodorant body wash and body spray gift set for my boys… For my daughter a gift set of shampoo conditioner lotion body whatever is in there… I do this because through the year I of course supply them with hygiene stuff but at Christmas I’m willing to spend more for the “good stuff” :joy:

2 Likes

Beach towel or towel with embroided name swimming costume…its summer in Aust lol

A suit of clothes and a pair of shoes.

New shoes, new clothes, new bedding?

1 Like

Savings bonds, savings accounts.

1 Like

Christmas Eve my kids always open pjs, movies, popcorn and snacks and we always have movies night. This is the one gift they ask for each year.

2 Likes

I usually get 1 or 2 things they wish for and everything else Is what they need including fun learning activities.

1 Like

They need food. Maybe buy them something they really like to eat. Maybe a special kind of candy they like? That’s my only idea lol

Play doh! My sons favourite.

Man idk how ppl can do 4 gift ideas lol each my kids get 40 to 50 gifts each and I got 6 kids​:astonished: I also start Christmas shopping in March and clearance items rock!:joy: they r only young one time … once a yr spoiling won’t hurt!:blue_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

Or a pool for the summer for them all to share.

2 Likes

Pajamas, slippers , fun socks , boots or shoes , clothes

2 Likes

Maybe a few of their favorite snacks and drinks that you wouldn’t normally let them have… They need to eat, right?! For their age group that’s all I could come up with, lol. Good luck!

Clothes??? A new sweater ??? Winter is coming… Shoes??? School supplies??? Hygiene products??? Socks??? Hair cuts ??? What does your kid need…

2 Likes

One thing they need - think of the last thing you told your SO “we need to get kid #1 this or kid #3 that the next time we go _____” it’s literally something they need (or for my two what mommy thinks they need” my son is two and he absolutely needs a train set :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Bath toys, bubble bath, boxed shower gel/lotion kits

3 Likes

Maybe a science dvd, religious things if you’re of religious persuasion, educational toys such as classic board games (to share) or fish, a terrarium for a small lizard. My Bible was a gift 63 years ago and it’s something I need every day. My gang loved homemade cooking kits. I packed a box with all the ingredients to bake a batch of cookies or other treats, then let the adults go play while we made the treat and cleaned up the mess.

I always snuck in musical toothbrushes! It really did help them brush longer… Caboodle organizers w hair pretties in them. Hot wheel car totes for my sons massive collection. Always opened a present( of pj’s) on xmas eve.

Why would you gift them something they need instead of just providing them with it?

We do toothbrush gift sets or the bath gift sets for the something you need

Hygiene bubble bath would be fun

New winter wear. New shoes. Pjs how about a gift card and then take them shopping after Chridtmas for what ever tjey wany
Or cash to go shopping with
Educationzl items.

Socks and undies always

Needs= clothing, undies, socks, robe, pajamas, slippers? I know they’re not very fun, but that’s not the point of the category. You could do one of these or a set - slippers and robe, a nice outfit plus socks and undies. As long as they’re in 1 box, it counts as 1 present, right? :grin:

1 Like

How about something they make.

Bedding clothes. New dresser, bed.

Clothing or something for school

At that age, usually clothes lol

1 Like

We do special pajamas the kids love the rootless one pieces that look like different characters or animals it’s our special Christmas thing and the kids grow so fast its usually a need lol

Get them to write a list of 3 things they would like in the order they would like them then buy the first on list if unable buy 2nd on list,with 2 year old but just take to toy department & see what they would like they don’t always like clothes as they are essential items, you don’t need to spend a lot of money on presents the children will be happy :santa:

Nice new pillows or blankets electric tooth brush.

1 Like

Good luck you’ll figure it out.

New bed sheet set socks underware new outfit coverall to play in the snow new bike for summer new winter boots new learning tools such as books or age appropriate tablet

We did book shelves one year and bedding another year

Clothes ,shoes ,jacket .Hat mittens .

1 Like

I love all these question about ’ what should I get MY kid or kids’. Apparently you need to get to KNOW them

1 Like

toothbrushes.socks mittens fruit. my mom fills up a stocking with all that stuff. hair things underpants umbrella. band-aids. all the emergency things you use all year long it’s fun. glow sticks jokes prank stuff for fun. toilet scrubber. shampoos. dish soap. soaps things around th house that they soon identify and learn to use

Clothes. Hair or cool hygiene/bath products. Bedding. Etc. For my kids I can usually find cheap but cool stuff that they need. Spider Man soap etc. Lol. If all else fails. Clothes. Winter gear. Etc

Help them make Santa letters .
Choose something they put on their list .
Good luck .