Needing full time elderly care in Florida: Advice?

My father needs full-time care. He makes 5k a month, so he does not qualify for any kind of facility or help. The facilities say he can pay out of pocket, but they are 10k a month! He cannot afford that. We keep hearing that the families can contribute, but we do not have that kind of money to give! Hourly help is $25 an hour with a 4 hour minimum per day. Does anyone know of an alternative option? We are in Florida.

10 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Needing full time elderly care in Florida: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Where in florida i might know someone who is looking for work

What part of Florida? There is tons of different elderly care in all cities it’s a matter of research I guess. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Try care.com maybe put a add on Nextdoor.com maybe someone can do it at a more affordable price

1 Like

See if there’s a local aging and disability resource center…county level

1 Like

My mom needed care. Her insurance covered a full time CNA.

Best thing to do is find a live in caregiver that can be paid a salary weekly that is affordable for yall,plus they get there room,board and all utilities paid for as well. Arrange it where that person gets several scheduled hours off a week,whenever you know that you or other family could go be with him. Run your own personal ad for this help and screen ppl accordingly all the agencies will charge way to much per hour as you already know.

3 Likes

His insurance should cover

Custodial care in a nursing home in northern il is 2200 a month- self pay. Is he looking at assisted living? Those are hella expensive. Even at 15 hourly you’ll be paying someone 10k a month for around the clock care. Is there family that can provide care so it’s not around the clock?

A live in can get 100 per day

I would check on Care.com you can probably find a home health aide for lower then $25 per hour.

2 Likes

I’d trust a CNA coming in home rather than a nursing home.

7 Likes

Put cameras in house w strangers make sure they are bonded

3 Likes

Hire privately… Problemo solved.

1 Like

Does he need a nurse, a CNA or just a companion? Costs are different for each.

Also check into community day care for the elderly and respite care programs.

Sometimes churches have people who can offer rides to things if he could take adaptive swim classes or do recreation center “Silver Sneakers” programs, which would cover an hour or so at possibly reduced cost.

Maybe you could work with another family who needs care to pool resources and share a residence and caregiver.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Needing full time elderly care in Florida: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

What part in florida?

Is your dad a veteran? If so contact veteran affairs to get assistance.

2 Likes

If the $5000 is from a rental income you can transfer the property out of his name if you have power of attorney. It will then show he has no income. If this is a retirement income you may be able to call a facility and ask for the social worker there. She might be able to work the insurance/ Medicare into paying the difference. If you can’t take care of them because everyone has to work and you don’t have the financial means, I think a facility social worker can help find different programs.

3 Likes

Contact Agency on Aging. Depending on what your fathers assets are, Medicare takes the social security checks and pays for the rest. You have to go thru agency of aging first.

1 Like

With a doctors order, Medicare will pay for home health care and/or hospice. Also, if he is a veteran with 180 active duty service, the VA will often provide caregivers at home. It is quite a process, but it’s worth it in n the end
Also, if he is a veteran, there are VA operated retirement homes with 24/7 care.

2 Likes

If he was in the military, you can get some help through them!

1 Like

When my mother needed full time care, we shared that responsibility between family members. She actually moved in with me and hired a caregiver for the day shift and I took the night shift. Her monthly income covered the cost of the paid caregivers and any medical supplies needed. It was work and we needed to be flexible on our shifts, but I continued to work daily and had a very competent caregiver in my place while I was gone. Also, you could check for private care homes that take only 4 to 5 people that is licensed but run out of someone’s home… They run about 3,000.00 a month here in AZ. which includes food and most needs. You Council for the Elderly or Aged in your county might be able to help refer you to some of these homes. Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Adult day care is an option. Some provide transportation and have nurses and nurse aids on duty. The hours are a basic 9-5. If your father doesn’t move in with someone in the family, home health agencies have overnight caregivers. From what I understand, some medicare and Medicaid plans cover the cost of adult day care. The average cost is $74/ day. Overnight caregivers should be covered by insurance as well.

Also look into A Place For Mom. It is an elder care assistance agengy.

Long term health insurance

Nursing/assisted living facility

1 Like

Look into cheaper options. Most people in nursing homes don’t have that much income a month. They usually pay with their social security check thats less that $1k a month.

1 Like

I’m in California and there was a program that matched up struggling adults with elderly needing light care, nothing medical. Obviously, the adults in need have all kinds of backgrounds and you really must intensely interview before trying them out :confused:

Don’t use an in home care agency. They charge you $25 per hour and then give the caregiver $12 per hour. Hire someone privately and pay them $19 an hour. I was a cna/caregiver for 10 years and after two agencies paid me unfairly I worked for myself and just got paid directly by the family/client

Does he need professional care? Or does he just need companionship and someone to help him with cleaning, doctors appts, etc?

Try finding a cna or caregiver that does private pay. Just keep track of what you pay them throughout the year and you can claim it come tax time. Just let the caregiver know upon hire that they will need to take their own taxes out

Some states have ability to pay you to be his care taker, although it’s not a lot, but he’s be saving that 5k a month

We had to go through the same thing with my papa. He made too much for any assistance but didn’t make enough to cover the cost of what kind of help he needed & his insurance wouldn’t cover any help at home. We had to just have family switch off, it was very stressful. I hope you get something figured out that works for him. I think all insurances should offer to help pay for in home care for the elderly/sick, it can be so stressful on families.

Make sure u do background check on people. Dont leave anything valuable in house. Ex my uncle had help and they stole from him. So check people out.

1 Like

My dad waa also needing extra care. We used visiting angels and because he was a veteran it was paid for.

1 Like

Was he ever in the military. If so he can try to get assistance through veterans programs.

Call a company called home instead I use to work for them they send someone out to care for him or run arrends help around the house 4 hours up to 24 hours hope they can help.

What kind of medicare does he have ? Florida has some of the best plans . Get his card and look it up, MANY MANY of the plans include home health care . If his does not go online and look at the other plans available in his area . He may have to wait to AEP in Oct to change but aleast you will have a plan . Also call , they will go through a process to see if he is eligible to change plans on a S.E.P .

Depends on your area. 10k a month sounds steep. The facility i work at ranges from 2k to 3200k a month. All inclusive. No levels of care. And we have a secured memory care unit. Id definitely shop around!

Where in Florida are you located and when will u answer the other questions so we know what kinda help ur needing

If you ask around some people do private home care. They tend to be cheaper as the work for themselves and get paid under the table. Maybe try to see if any high school students would like to make some extra cash while they are out of school

Contact your local Seniors with Disabilities program. It’s usually state run. I work for the State of Oregon, doing private in home care. I love it! I bet you could find someone to help you out by going that route.

Looking into a live in care giver

Is there a help at home near you that you can get him some help?

Not sure what kind of care .
If someone to feed…get dressed…bath…get a private person in…
You and siblings can take shifts also…
I don’t know anything about states as I’m in Canada…here we can get nursing in from hospital. With minimal cost…
Good luck

This a time for the family to help. He shouldn’t have to pay for care if he raised his children. I cared for my father til he passed i wouldn’t let anyone care for him because he raised me

Can a family member possibly move in with him and help him out with the rest of the time since they can only do so much each day? Or maybe he move in with them? I’m not from Florida but I do know that is always the best option of at all possible.

Talk to an elder care advocate . If he makes 5k and his doctor says he can’t live alone, they should be able to get him state help.for the rest. Does he own a home? They may require the sale . Or you could consider a reverse mortgage if it’s paid for. But you have to search out the help. Sometimes it’s well hidden

Try www.care.com to hire your own private duty person. You decide the pay rate,hours needed and duties. Also home health care agencies but you will need a doctor’s order.

If state pays will put lien on property at death has to be out of his names for 5 years or more so be very careful if put in home papers u sign has in small print to that fact they don’t tell you

Move out of Florida. We pay 15 an hour in Texas

Sounds like a scam to me.

Advertise for private carers that will do home visits

For long term care here in TX , unless paying outta pocket, you need Medicare/Medicaid. In our case, Medicaid we needed. My gma went in an assisted living facility where they take all but $60 of her SS a month. BUT if you do not take care of the assests your father has and move them out of his name the Medicaid recovery programs will try to come after those assest upon death. Which is what I am dealing with currently. Hospice was only covered upon dr.s order in a serious closer to end of life case…not with just everyday regular around the clock care. It can all be very tricky. With coverage and such.

The only thing I know is that a facility will let them pay out of pocket until the money is gone and then get them on Medicaid. That’s terrible obviously. But if he doesn’t need a full time nurse, you could probably hire a caregiver for a lower price. They may not have nursing skills but can cook and clean and care for him.

Does he have health insurance? Have you looked into what personal home care services his insurance will cover? Then, you can possibly find a personal caregiver through an agency to help him with basic needs. Cleaning, cooking, bathing, hygienic care, etc.