Needing potty training advice

Put His potty infront of tv. Turn on his favorite show and let him sit on it. He will relax and he will poop

Stop pull up. They’re just diapers. Once you start just go to underwear. Leaving him naked will only make him want to strip naked all 5he time, including in public he needs to learn to pull undies on and off.

Get the book, “Everyone Poops.”

1 Like

I was bribed to go to Disney world and meet mickey. I was told I had to be a big girl and could only use the potty and apparently I never used anything else after :rofl:

1 Like

Get him used to pooping sitting down first. My daughter is having this issue, she just turned 2. She will pee in the potty no problem but won’t poo. I’ve realized when she does, she’s always standing up. Try to get a read on his body language when he’s going to go. There will be something little that every child does before they do it, my daughter usually waits until bedtime also so it’s been difficult. She walks with me to the potty to learn that’s where it goes, with the pee.

2 Likes

once you put his diaper on keep him close to you and watch him, once you start seeing the signs on him trying to push then ask if he needs to poos and take him quickly place him on the toliet.

2 Likes

I Just went through this with mine. He has been scared of the “toilet monster” and thats half the battle is showing him the toilet is nothing to be scared of. He also might want to feel Iike youre little baby still so he can recieve your attention, any way that he can. It will be like a switch soon and he will be going all the time. Don’t count him or yourself out I’m sure you’re doing everything you can. Be patient and be kind as I’m sure you are. Considering he’s not going #2 full time yet, Little boy briefs during the day to make him feel like a big boy and diapers at night ONLY until he’s pooping on the potty.

1 Like

Throw the pull up away. He’s going to poop maybe once or twice but it’s part of how getting them toilet trained.
Do a potty chart, a sucker jar or something to reward him.
Good luck. :heart:

He is three. Put him in panties and tell him if he goes make him clean it up. Or wait until he is four. Your choice.

4 Likes

We took our girls to preschool when they turned 2. It was their first experience in a classroom setting and many of the other children had been there awhile, were closer to 3, and were used to the routines of the day. Learning basic skills, bathroom breaks, naptime, etc. When our girls saw many of them using the potty, they wanted to do that too. So we took them to the store and let them choose from the great selection of “Pretty Panties”. We let them pay for them, take the change, the whole shabang, then we told them that as soon as they could go in the potty all day and stay dry all night, they could start wearing them instead of pull ups. It worked like a charm. It took less than a week and they were totally “housebroken”! They also learned to observe quiet time, nap time, lunch time, etc. The only bad side of it was that they wanted to show off their panties to EVERYONE!

1 Like

Right before bed sit him on the potty and read him the book everyone poops. Play the poopy song too

2 Likes

Did he happen to have a painful bowl movement is the past. We had that problem - and it took a long time before he was able to poop on the potty.

The only thing you can really do is give him time. Takes more work to poop than to pee. Forcing him will make him either regress or avoid it altogether.

I think the first poop scares them. It’s new strange feeling. My grandson use to gag when he smelled the poop.

Last year I trained a 3 year old grandson, he was a breeze, this year, I’m training another 3 year old grandson. :roll_eyes: He’s extremely bright but we seem to go great one day then the next :weary: is a disaster! The most important thing is to be consistent! For some reason many kids find pooping on the potty a scary thing! :woman_shrugging:t2: My son and DIL have reinforced my training. They offer him prizes like going to his favorite play place if he is good (pottying) for me all week. Find out what he loves, a toy car, a trip to the park, whatever it is, make him earn it! And if Dad is in the picture, then the incentive to always wear big boy underwear like daddy helps. I put my boys into training pants and limited them the first couple days to my oversized kitchen, wherever there was no carpeting. No diapers! I kept those or pull ups for nap and nighttime only! And know your kid’s poop habits, if he poops at night, sit him on the potty a bit longer before bedtime. Don’t give up! And don’t take a step backwards and put him in diapers any more than necessary. Make it a sink or swim thing for him. Hope for the best and prepare fore the worst! Have lots of potty books! “Everyone Poops” and “Even Firemen Potty” are great ones! Good luck!

I would put the pull ons and take him to the restroom. As soon as he starts to push, take them off abs sit him in the toilet. Do this for a week. After just take him to the toilet every hour and make him sit. Eventually he’ll get it

Stop putting night time diapers on him, I cut out pullups and diapers completely and only had like 3 accidents its been 2 weeks, if they make a mistake make them clean it up because it’s gross and they will learn its gross and use the potty it really works

2 Likes

Dont put the night time diaper on until he shits

Put his pooh in the potty chair… Leave it there…Tell him this is where pooh goes… When I was training my kid, when she did a pooh in the toilet…DON’T FLUSH IT>> Let them go back and look at their accomplishment…Took me a 3 day pooh in the toilet, she made it was proud of it…

This is HIS control. At this age they are finding that out. He will outgrow it eventually, but that is what this is all about.

Dont put the diaper on him, and tell him big boy pants now. Take him to the toliet before bed time. All in all most boys are slow for potty training. Keep working at it. He just may not be ready yet.

not trying to be mean but you say he will literally wait to poop until he has a diaper on and then he will poop in his diaper … he is getting old enough to where with help , he can start cleaning up after himself … next time he poops in the diaper , take the diaper off him , have him grip the diaper with both hands and turn the diaper out wards , so that the poop goes in the toilet and tell him poop goes in the toilet … then hand him some wipes and have him start wiping himself and clean himself up

With my boys I done a sticker chart, mine would NOT poop in the little potty chair, I had to but the seat that goes on the toilet, they got a sticker for every time the went, flushed, washed hands, two stickers for #2, they also got skittles or m&ms… every time… 3 for #1, 6 for #2, lost a sticker if they had an accident also, rewarded them in other ways, no mistakes in 1 day (bed time story) for 5 days (park) week, ice cream and park day, month mall for carousel, just things I done and was going to do anyway. Same thing with cleaning up their toys, sticker chart and prizes, my kids loved everything, I bought stuff from Dollar Tree too and if they picked up their toys all week they got a toy/bubbles/ coloring book/ story book, just all kind of different things. Doing that makes it visual and keeps it constant

I just say can u show me a poo in the toilet (an make it sound fun) an that ur happy for them to do one in there. Show how proud I are if he does “ omg ur so clever an big now etc

Keep encouraging that u would love to see a poo in the toilet.

I guess they need to feel comfortable enough to do it in the toilet
He must not have that confidence in it just yet.