Needing potty training advice

I neeeed potty training tips for my 3 year old to go #2, we leave him diaper less thru the day, he uses his potty chair for #1 no problem, but he will literally hold his poop in until bedtime when we place a nighttime diaper on him, like within minutes of it being on he will come up to me laughing saying “I poo poo” I tried everything I can, offering him treats, more screen time, even said I’d take him to the store to pick out a new toy if he goes #2 in the potty, please anyone help me out, I will literally try anything

72 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Needing potty training advice - Mamas Uncut

Big popsicles did the trick for mine!

One thing I learned is boy go when they feel like it but try to encourage him like we did a sticker chart

2 Likes

I would find something he likes like a favorite piece of candy so he has a immediate rewatd in the house. He may not be able to understand how long it will take to go to the store.

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19488 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. https://superdollar108.netlify.app/

Have you tried ditching the diapers? No pullups either. Straight to underwear. When he poops it will feel different and may not like it. He obviously knows how to control it. Just a thought.

17 Likes

My son refused to 2 on the potty for the longest time until we got a treasure box and filled it with tiny trinkets or treats. He got one for trying and we’d go every 30 mins or so to try and 2 if he actually went. It took some time but he liked seeing the different options of prizes

2 Likes

Let them pick what color food coloring to put a couple drops of food coloring in the toilet to poo on. Worked for my 4 kuds

4 Likes

I’m potty training my almost 2 year old and I’ve just been putting him on the toilet every 30-40 mins. Also we cut out diapers & pull ups. They tend to not like the feeling of poop or pee in their underwear… it might help!

Wait for him to do it x in his own time he won’t want to do it in his diaper just leave the potty available and in his own time he will use it or try the toilet for him x

1 Like

Get rid of the night time diaper. He knows he can go in the diaper so you have to eliminate it.

15 Likes

My daughter did it when she felt ready. It took her about a month of being comfortable going #1 for her to start going #2

I honestly am not sure other than, put him in underwear. No pullups, diapers, if he makes a mess in his underwear he will most likely hate it. My kiddo was so easy to potty train, I’m really lucky. He saw his dad do it one day by walking in the bathroom, and he was like I wanna try! He did it, and went s*** as well ever since then with literally one accident. So maybe try that, lol.

3 Likes

Put him on the pot start it like 1 hr before bedtime… if you are seeing that is his routine make it a game he does his business on the potty for something you know he likes… stickers squishy toys, figit toys… ( tell him if he #2 on the potty he can do a scavenger hunt before bed to find a prize)

I got an m&m machine and let mine get their own candy after #2. They felt independent and wanted the m&ms lol.

1 Like

I used to tell my son that pooping in his pants was nasty. He was too big a boy for that. He needed to go in the potty. I would put him on the potty after meals and before bed. If he still went in his pants, I would say he did a stinky. And I put him in underwear, not a diaper. He eventually caught on because he didn’t like the feel of the poo in his underwear.

1 Like

My son was just going to the toilet to go pee. He eventually started going number two in the toilet. I put pull-ups on him at night

We started watching poo poo in the potty song video on you tube. My little was just like yours and that crazy song video worked!

1 Like

It kind of sounds like you are rewarding him before he does the deed. Maybe try taking away the things he likes and don’t give them back until he goes #2 in the potty. Or at least limit him and don’t allow more until he’s done his part. It worked with my 3 year old and now he’s a pro at using the potty, he doesn’t pee sitting down either because “he’s just like daddy” lol… good luck

2 Likes

We had to get a step stool and attach a potty seat that flips up on the regular toilet so she could poop like a big girl.

Reward him for every accomplishment when using the potty

Following ! My 3 year old is the exact same !!! He pees NO PROBLEM! But he will not poop unless he has a diaper on :woman_facepalming:t2:

I got many kids shows about potty training and played em non stop. Bear in the big blue house potty training, elmo potty training, blues clues potty training were my kids favorites. I’m sure there’s more out there. Keep working at it. They will get it, it just takes time. Once he realizes the poop won’t be yucky on his bottom and better to go in the potty, the next phase…is teaching em how to wipe. And I’ve heard some kids want their parent to wipe em all the time. So…when changing their diaper, talk about wiping and how to get the poop off their bottom. Its a step by step process

Put him on the potty before bed. I didn’t use diapers after I started training, underwear all day, pull ups only at night and I would stress how yucky it was to poop in his big boy pants or the pull ups. The second son was the hardest, we almost had to follow him around. After you put the pull up on if he hasn’t pooped follow him around and be prepared to swoop him up and on the the potty.

He is maybe not mature enough! Wait a couple of months!

3 Likes

I was always told that a pull up is a diaper… Just used for nighttime. Now I know it might not be fun to clean up, but send him to bed in underwear and have his potty seat in his room so if he wants to, he can get up and go poop. A lot of times they don’t like the feeling of being dirty there (who would :relaxed:), so it might help him if you stop using the pull ups altogether. Just buy a couple packs of undies and encourage all the way with him using only undies! I hated washing poop out of panties so I just pitched the dirty ones :see_no_evil:.

We also had to get rid of pull ups, too much like a diaper, within days it worked. Get several pair of underpants as you might go through them in a few days before he catches on.

1 Like

My oldest struggled with that. Eventually found out he didn’t like the splash when he went lol. He would hold it to prevent that. He stopped pretty fast though.

Naked for a few days… Or just a T-shirt to keep him covered but no diaper or underwear… I just did this with my daughter and we would reward her for going!!! She will be 3 end of july and fully potty trained day and night

1 Like

Sit him backwards on the toilet and let him draw on the lid with a whiteboard marker.

3 Likes

You put him on the toilet to go. You know when he goes.
No diapers. He needs big boy underwear. Ha e dad take him in when he poops. He may not understand you and dad potty too.
Use a sticker chart. Everyday he goes in the potty he gets a sticker. If he goes so many days, he gets a surprise. Extra tv time. A toy. Something he values.
He knows what to do. You have too work on making him do it.

1 Like

My 3 year old did the same. I really think as long as they’re going in a pull-up & not regular underwear it’s just not worth stressing about, they’ll go on the potty when they’re ready. Pee training was all I really cared about - but aloe helped get these moving smoothly & made going on the potty less challenging for him. We’re not technically supposed to poop sitting like we do from a biological standpoint so I get why they don’t like it lol

For one you shouldn’t allow him to hold it in all day till night when you put on a diaper. That’s not good for him. You can try all you want, when he’s ready to go on the pot he’ll do it. Be patient, every kid is different. You just might have to gag a little longer.

1 Like

No more diapers. Take him potty after you dress him for bed. Be prepared to stay a little while.

3 Likes

You could try poop in potty let him see not nice but if he knows u can do it it might help

No pull ups no diapers use underwear make him sit until he goes

2 Likes

Don’t put a diaper on him at night. If he still pees at night. Get some of the pads hospital’s use

1 Like

My 3 yr old son was like this too, but within a couple of weeks of potty training with wee all through the day we are now trained with poo on the potty and he is now trained through the night too :grin: All I can suggest is reward everytime he goes to the potty . We done that with our son and we keep telling him big boys poo on the potty / toilet too as he kept saying he was a big boy :slightly_smiling_face: x

My 3 year old daughter does the same she is not ready yet she trys iv potty trained 4 kids pooping is harder what works for me just sitting in the bathroom with them until they go it can take up to an hour sometimes but pooping is harder then peeing in the potty my advice is patients and time and also either completely naked or just underwear

1 Like

I put my daughter on a little poop chair in front of Mr. Rogers (no longer on) but a favorite he likes and she was so relaxed she went

My 3yeqr old wouldn’t do #2 in the potty either so I sat her on the big toilet and now she won’t use her potty at all and goes on the big people toilet

1 Like

My daughter was like that but she had pooped in the potty once and it touched her bum . When I put the child seat on the toilet she started to use it

My son flat out refused the potty until 3 weeks before he turned 4. We literally tried everything, then just let him be ready on his own. It’s hard to do. He will get there.

1 Like

Throw all the diapers/pull ups out. Getting rid of them will show him there is no other option. If he poops his underwear, he helps you clean it. Consequences.

3 Likes

Something to try…if he understands it costs money to buy things. Take him shopping and stop by the toy aisle and let him find something he really wants. Explain that you would buy it for him but you have to buy pull-ups for him to poop in. Let him know you only have enough money for one thing and as soon as he can give those up and use the potty, the money can be used for that toy instead.

My oldest was fully pee trained, but was scared cuz he thought he would be flushed down w/ the poop. He would watch videos about school and get so excited seeing the bus go by our house. I told him he couldn’t go to school until he started pooping in the potty all the time. W/in two days, he was fully potty trained.

You can’t force them to potty train, it just makes them want to do it even less. He’ll do it when he’s ready. You just have to keep doing what you’re doing and eventually he will choose to go in the potty.

1 Like

Sit him there before bed till he drops what he’s holding

1 Like

Stop putting a diaper or pull up on him at night.

3 Likes

Following because I have the same problem my 7 year old autistic son. He’ll go #1 but not #2. It doesn’t bother him to go in his pants, & treats, stickers, etc don’t encourage him at all.

I put a little kids potty, wipes and some hand sanitizer right next to my daughters bed at night while she was training instead of doing pull ups. It was easier for her to get out of bed quick then get right back in after in the middle of the night and reduced accidents by a LOT! You’ve got this!

A probiotic worked for my friend when she potty trained her son. He would do the same thing. She stopped diapering him at night and also added a toddler probiotic so holding it was a little more uncomfortable (probiotic NOT a laxative)

Just gotta wait it out. It happens when it happens and forcing it makes it take longer.

Line the potty chair with a diaper, sometimes that can be a good in between step. You can also sit them down with books or fidgety toys. Helps them relax and just let their body do what it needs to do.

Its actually very common until like age 5 i believe- lots of kids get constipated because they dont poo on the potty- its rumored that its because they can see it unlike most pee. I read some articles that said they have to be uncomfortable so maybe underwear underwear a pull up and continue using the potty for pee. I recommend the pull up over because of diarrhea

Don’t put the nighttime diaper on.

3 Likes

Bull with sitting for an hour on the toilet. That causes health issues. Figure out which time of day is his body regulated, then go for 5 to 10 minutes at most. Put him on the regular toilet. And for heavens sake don’t make him clean it himself. That will cause psychological problems, later in life. He won’t always be in a diaper. It takes patience. I have yet to see a grown child on diapers

1 Like

Try patience. My grandson thought he was losing his insides.

Pooping took my son 6 months to get. You have to go strictly underwear. And when he poops try positive reinforcement (oh man we missed the potty let’s try to make it next time… oh buddy we missed again, we’ll try harder next time…things like that) getting upset with him will not help.

No night time diaper…

2 Likes

My daughter is three and does this. She’s only pooped on the potty three times. She asks for a diaper or pull up and goes and stands in the corner. We’re not gonna push the issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Let it go for a few months

Went thru that with my second. I stopped buying diapers. She held it for almost 2 whole days until she couldn’t anymore. She said mommy it’s coming!! So I quickly scooped her up and ran her into the bathroom. She went on the pot, saw that everything was cool and she went on the pot from then on.

3 Likes

Give her a surprise like a mm s when she poos

Highly recommend the “oh crap” book

1 Like

My friend had to send her son to daycare. Because she was on bed rest with twins. He had to be potty trained, nothing worked. So she just put briefs on him and sent him to preschool. Probably solved.

3 Likes

Pooping in a toilet is scary for them. Set with him in the evening with him on a small toilet seat and wait and wait. Sing, play games, counting, abcs…but stay there until he makes a poop and then have a big pooping party with happy dancing, rewards and telling daddy that he did it!!! It might take a few times of hanging out with him. He will get it. Hang in there.

1 Like

All my children were potty trained the summer they turned two with the exception of my first daughter she PT herself the summer b4 she was 2. Don’t throw away :poop: or flush it with your baby there until they’re regularly going #2. They actually think it’s a part of their body. Too many toddlers stop with PT when they think :poop: it’s a part of them. My Grandson was almost 3 and made this very clear to me. We wanted to be left a lone on the Big potty around 5 mins ( not too long though :joy: I said it scared the :poop:out of the poor guy.:joy::joy:

2 Likes

It scares them bcuz it feels different sitting down than standing up … be patient momma

My 4 year old grandson will sit on the potty might go #1 then he runs and gets a diaper (pull up) we say good ya yippee etc for going #1 as soon as he gets the diaper on he poops.

1 Like

A classic case of the child leading the parent. Once my daughters could talk, and they pooped in their underwear ( NOT diapers, cause by 1 1/2 year old, they could talk non stop like crazy) I punished them. Once you can talk, you can say you want to poop or pee.

We just recently got out of this with our 3 year old.
She refused for ever, would wait until the end of the day and poo. Sometimes it can be scary to poo on the toilet. I would just say and repeat where do we go poo at? And make it a habit. Finally out of nowhere my little started poo on the potty and it was like she was never scared before

Put on diaper for less than 1 min and then take it off and put on potty immediately and have him sit until he goes #2 then give him a treat

4 Likes

My son did this for the longest time. The only thing that worked was buying him big boy boxers. He felt so cool wearing boxers like his daddy that he worked hard to finish potty training. We did have some accidents and I would have to tell him that if he wasn’t going to use the potty, then he would have to go back there diapers. But he eventually got it.

5 Likes

I got a seat with steps for regular toilet
Took my 2 youngest to bathroom every 1hr. Let them step up n sit n leave them there for a bit until they got comfortable going
They would try to stand up. I would sit them down. Tell them it would be ok. Hugged them. Rubbed their backs. Until they started going in on their own

I say they cuz I was doing it with my 2 youngest who r 9 months apart. It was a mission but they got.
Consistency

I would even catch them in the act n run and put them in the toilet.
:joy:

Just give it time.

Soon they won’t like the feeling of having something in their pull up/ diaper.

Oh n try potty training underwear
That cud speed up the process of using the toilet.
They definitely won’t like the feeling of being wet or having poop

My daughter just turned 4 and I’M still struggling to get her to go poop in the toilet. Nothing has worked so far. She’s very bossy and strong… to the point of her pushing me, kicking, punching me to avoid the toilet. She’ll go and put on her pull up herself right after school. She maybe pooped on the toilet twice and I was so proud, praised her, etc. I can’t bribe her with candy or toys because her dad gets her whatever she wants anyway. I even went as far as not buying the pull ups but then her dad sees how upset she gets and goes and buys them :woman_facepalming:t3: I don’t know what to do either… I didn’t have this issue with my son :woman_shrugging:t3:

I have a friend that would put the poo in tbe training potty and have the little help dump it in the big toliet and say bye bye . So he got used to the process. I think it worked because he is now a 35 year old and has mastered it .

9 Likes

Put a mattress protector on the bed and take away the nighttime diaper.

4 Likes

They feel like they are loosing apart of themselves when they poop. Just keep trying.

If you force it they will regress, my son was potty trained with tic tacs 1 for 1 2 for 2. My daughter loved flushing the toilet thats all she needed to go to the toilet. Let them do it on there time because it’ll be better for them. Get the elmo potty book it keeps them occupied while they sit on the potty or really any book that your good with being a bathroom only book. It keeps them sitting on long enough to actually go to the bathroom.

1 Like

He holds it because he knows you’re going to put a pull up on him at night. Stop using the pull up. He’ll eventually go.

3 Likes

Same thing with my daughter she is 2.5 YO I bought a big box of diapers and told my daughter that there was no more diapers at the store. When we finished that box I bought an even smaller one and did the same once more after that. Then I bought pull ups but I hid them and only brought one out at a time saying I “found” one and that there was no more. So she had no choice but to poop in the toilet. Now we just have “sleeping and driving diapers “

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19014 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. https://superdollar139.netlify.app/

I have this problem with my 4yr old he refuses undies and won’t go near a toilet or potty :pensive:I dunno what to do

1 Like

Don’t put one on. Put a mattress protector on his mattress.

Try no diapers & only underwear. My youngest had a hard time with #2 & did the same thing. He would hold it for days too. I eventually told him they don’t make diapers anymore & I am so sorry. Darn diaper makers. Lol…He goes on the toilet now. Maybe because he didn’t like pooping in underwear. 🤷 But diapers were no longer an option.

2 Likes

No diaper, mattress protector and a pee pee pad on bed for extra protection. Every 30 minutes after eating have him sit on the toilet. He will want to get up but let him take a couple minutes break then set him back on it. Once he actually poops in the toilet, wash him up, wash his hands and praise him for it. (Not treats or screentime but give extra attention and cuddles.

2 Likes

Put him in underwear he won’t like sh*thing in them! That’s how my granddaughter got the hint

2 Likes

Character boxer shorts. No diaper @ night. Boxers

1 Like

I had to give my 2.5 year old the tablet to make him relax and go poo in the pot. Without, he’d hold his poop for days, or poop in his nighttime pull-up. Took about a week with the tablet, and lots and lots of praise once he went each time.

To me it’s harder to train boys sometimes

2 Likes

What took my one son was to take him and get him new underwear/boxer of his choice. Whatever design he could get. He picked super hero’s!

1 Like

It wasnt my sons who had this issue but my daughter. No matter what I tried, it didn’t work. Until one day my mom said, have her clean out the dirty underwear. This was done by swishing the poopy underwear around the clean toilet bowl. 2 times of it and she didnt do it anymore.

4 Likes

Put big boy underwear on him. And make a big deal over them. And that he is like Daddy if he is in the picture. And that he doesn’t want to poo in the big boy underwear. If he does then he will have to go back to the baby diapers.

2 Likes

Make sure to put a foot stool under his feet if he sits on the big potty it helps balance them so they can relax

2 Likes

How long do you make him sit on the potty? Maybe he needs a LOT LONGER?

My granddaughter was 5 before she would go #2 on the toilet. We tried everything but she was terrified. Then one day she finally did it and was like , “ I don’t know what I was afraid of. Thst wasn’t bad.” :woman_shrugging:t2:

Get a toy he has been really wanting, put it on top of the fridge and tell him he can have it when he poo poos in the potty

Stop putting pull-ups on him at night. Once you decide to start potty training, cut out pull ups completely!

14 Likes