Needing potty training advice

my daughter didnt potty train until almost 4. sounds like shes not ready. take a break, regroup and try again later.

My daughters were fully potty trained at 18 months. The youngest was the 1 who wasn’t months. She knew how to potty but she wanted to still be my baby. When she heard me talking about how much I loved her to my sister, where we was at the time, she came into the dining room and told us in her matter of fact voice she was thru wearing diapers, went to the bathroom pulled her diaper off and never again did she wear one nor have any mishaps after that. But she had 3 older sisters that took her to the potty when they went and that was a big help

My 3 daughters werent fully trained until right before their 3rd birthdays. Some kids just take longer to be ready. We practiced and had a rewards program. We let them each choose their own little potty. They just weren’t ready. Make sure you do your part, they’ll do theirs when they’re ready! Good luck!

If you force her she will be stubborn and not want to do it ., Tell her mommy goes potty on the toilet and if you start going potty on toilet and get there in time on this date referring to a calendar and circle it with a pink marker you tell her what her reward is and say ! You only get the reward when you go potty on the toilet . No going in your pants

If you are standing next to her you should try doing this
When you put her on you hv to move away
She maybe embarrassed to potty infront of you

Girl my first was so easy and then the second came along she was a terror trying to get trained. We ended up finally using “potty treats” (reward for going potty on the potty) we used mike n ikes… may not have been the best decision but it worked when nothing else would

I used a potty chair. I asked my kids where they would like it, which room. Ask this excited, to get them excited. One started out in the kitchen, the other in the living room. Long story short, it worked. Slowly, the potty chair moved to the bathroom. Also, keep a few books by the chair.

Never used a potty went straight to the toilet :toilet: have been a baby sitter for 46 years and some were easier than others and never ever used pull ups.

I used to let mine sit in front of the tv and ‘ relax ‘ on the potty
And don’t stress no kids goes to first grade in diapers

Give her her own toilet and maybe that will work

I’ve been told that’s completely normal. My daughter is fully daytime potty trained with diaper at night because shes a hard sleeper. She will literally cry if you put her on the toilet to poop

Thats normal. Took us 3mo for my 3yr to poop on the potty. Its a new sensation kinda for them. Btw we started about the same time u have…she was born in june and we started last november.

Some kids are ready to pee before they can poop on the potty. He will not grow up thinking he can hold his poop and use a diaper forever. If he’s still pooping his pants by 3, have him dump any poo he can into the potty, and then help you wash out his undies. I’m betting he will get it before then anyway, but it’s always an option when he’s old enough to understand.

Stop drinks at 6-7 and leave underwear in him at night also

Is his father in the picture? If so have him take him to the bathroom and go poop to show his son how it’s done. Sometimes it helps

He might just not be ready yet. :woman_shrugging:

My son just got over this it took a while and lots of prayer but he is in school now pooping just fine!

My daughter is turning three in a couple days she didn’t like the smell of her own poop so she started using the bathroom. When she first started she would ask for a pamper when she needed to poop until she decided no more pampers and I’m gonna use the big girl potty. Every child is different.

Try a foot stool so he can get on n’ off the potty. Also a smaller seat that he wont fall in. And watch him, if u see him makin that face, get him on there. My little one kept poopin her pants but eventually caught on. Hang in there

My daughter hated to poo in the potty because it touched her bum once . Had to use the toilet with a seat

That’s normal. Don’t put a diaper or pull up on him. Let him poop on himself and when he does clean him by dumping the poop in the potty and telling him we poop in the potty. He will eventually get it. Also take him potty when you go and celebrate yourself for pooping on the potty like a big girl and remind him that he suppose to poop on the potty too

3 Likes

Give him time and don’t rush it. He will get there but he may not be truly ready and that’s normal.

I bought my daughter her own potty. Or you. the tiny seats that fit in the toilet. Maybe try that but my experience potty training 3 kids, they go when get are ready

It’s been 2 weeks, give him a break

1 Like

maybe u can teach him using cat litter who cares

He’ll do it when he’s ready. I literally just went through that. One day he just decided to go ahead and poop on the potty. Your little one will too. :heart:

Its normal. Stop using diapers. He’ll get it sooner or later. Boys just take longer on average. Take him and let him pick out some special underwear. Tell him they are his big boy pants. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

My daughters only 8 mo but we do elimination communication and I usually get her to poop on her potty. We use a little potty that she can sit on and feel stable. Maybe he would benefit from a potty his size?

I’ve potty trained when my kids was ready. Potty training shouldn’t be a battle. When they are ready it’s easy. All 3 of mine was simple. We followed their lead. Keep up with number 1 and try again in a few weeks with number 2.

Boys generally potty train later than girls do, I think. Maybe hold the reward for when he’s finished.

He just turned…you are probably forcing something he isnt ready which will lead to regression. Girls train faster than boys. No child is the same dont compare them. Generally pooping is the last to come. So just keep being understanding and supportive but stern when needed. It will take time but he will get it. Dont go back and forth with diapers and undies. Pick one and stick with it

We rewarded with suckers it’s our son’s favorite… so maybe use something that is his all time favorite snack or treat and tell him if he goes poo in the potty he will get one but only if he uses the big boy potty.

Poo goes to poo land. APP. It reads a story to your child about pooing on the potty. It worked for my child.

Don’t rush him or try to force it. Even if it takes another month, or more, he will do it.

I used to have several pottys around the house I even let him sit on it while he watched TV sounds gross but it worked I just removed one at a time till the only one left was in the loo took about a month to work oh and we gave him treats every the he used them

My grandson was afraid to poop on the potty. He thought it was a snake until his grandad talked to him then he wanted to poop on the big boy toilet.

If he is 2 and you have him comfortable enough to pee on there you and him are doing awesome. He will do it. Some would disagree but I suggest rewards. Stickers, a treat, …something simple. Be consistent and keep up the great work. Remember…hes 2.

The only way my brother finally pooped on the toilet was by my dad as he refused any other way to poop

Little boys are stubborn. It’s like they want to hold onto the last thing that is keeping them little. Keep in the poop and mom will wipe my butt. Idk how to explain it but mine did that until they were almost 3 and then one day they just did it. Stopped pooping their pants and just went to the potty.

1 Like

Took my oldest 6 months before he’d poop in the potty. Just make little reminders we poop in the potty. And comments like oh man we missed the potty let’s try to make it next time. It’s just a thing boys don’t like to do. But think about it, they are usually laying or standing when they poop, now you’re trying to have him sit. It probably feels weird and not something they are used to.

My boys both did that. And currently still doing it with my youngest son, I know it’s annoying but they do eventually learn.

He will do it when he is ready and not till then! Been through it more than once

I remember there was a time that my daughter pooped her pants after already being trained in the potty & she’s trying to hold it the following days. I let her stay in the loo until she goes or she’s not getting her tablet or no toys the entire day. It worked from that day on. It’s really a struggle because each child is different, you have to be more patient. Make potty time very comfortable for him & don’t let him feel you’re stressed or anxious. They say boys aren’t easily trained to do potty so just extend your patience.

1 Like

You are not alone . My granddaughter wears underwear all day and will pee on the potty every time but when she has to poop she will ask you to put a pull up on her.

EmilyRose AustinGregory Herring

Probably afraid water will splash on him that’s what my son was afraid of put paper towels so won’t splash

1 Like

HE’S :clap: NOT :clap: READY :clap:

Just because YOU want him to be potty trained that doesn’t mean HE is ready

3 Likes

Two is pretty young. I think both of mine were just turning 3.

I had that problem with my daughter, until I started making her wash out her poopy panties.

Its normal.My niece had the same problem.He will do it sooner.Dont lose hope

Keep consistent and patience. My guy is diagnosed with autistic disorder. We toilet trained from 18 months to almost 4 for peepee and got caca at 6, still needs to be wiped but it’s progress… so big hugs and breathe

Don’t sweat it - he’ll find his motivation and get on track.

My son was similar. He would pee in the potty, but hide under the dining room table to poop. He loved Thomas the Tank Engine, and we asked him if he thought Thomas pooped his pants (weird question, but whatever). We were on vacation and visited a little store that had a very elaborate Thomas train set up. I secretly bought “Lady” (from the Thomas movie).

We had a padded portable potty seat that we used back at the hotel and timed it just right - he was watching the Thomas movie and had to poop - and he pooped on the potty! I told him Thomas called and was proud of him and wanted him to have Lady! He was very pleased with himself and made more of an effort (although he still had a few accidents). He was very in to picking out his own big boy underwear after that.

It took about 4 months to get my 2 year old daughter to poo on the potty. I finally realized that she just didn’t know she was supposed to. She doesn’t poo as often as pee so she was confused on where to go when she got the urge

My son was pee pee trained at two. When he was 3 we told him we would get a “Potty Party” we really talked it up. One night he was in the tub and started yelling to get out and get a pull up on! I plopped him on the toilet. I sang and danced as did his sister. She was 4. We were so excited he was about to get a party! He pooped! Balloons and cake and new Spiderman undies!

4 Likes

All kids are different and potty train at different times. Pooping always seems to be the one that’s the most challenging for some kids. But, rest assured, he will when he’s ready. Until then, just keep using positive reinforcement every time he does a poopy in the potty. I used a star chart for my little ones and it worked great! One day he will wake up and decide he’s done with diapers and then it’s on to the next milestone!:+1:

1 Like

My youngest struggles with the same issue. Some kids just take longer. I have five and have only experienced this with two of my children. My youngest is three and pee’s in the potty, but will rarely poop in it. She will specifically ask for a pull up. I encourage her instead to use the potty, but she refuses to poop until I will put a pull up on her. She hides while she poops and is embarrassed, even though I tell her it is okay it just takes some kids longer. My brother was the same way when he was younger. It is normal and just requires some patients and encouragement.

He will do it when he is ready. My son was the same way. Made himself constipated. Dr. Said to let him be, and sure enough, when he was ready he started to poo in the potty . Hasn’t been a problem since. He was almost 3.

2 Likes

Tell him you know he will do it when HE is ready. I have 3 sons. This worked well for us. When they’re ready, it works. When they’re not ready, it’s a struggle. Relax about it. He will go in the potty in his own time

2 Likes

Perfectly normal. Took one of my sons and my daughter until almost 4 years old to poop in the toilet. They were pee trained for over 6 months before they would try the pooping. If you dig your heels in and try to force it, it will become a power struggle and he will win. Wait until he is ready and I guarantee one day he will decide he wants to. It takes just once to see that it’s not so bad.

5 Likes

Bribery… wrap up a few dollar store toys or snacks in wrapping paper and every time he poops in the potty… he can open one… and don’t rush him… always praise for trying. It will happen.

2 Likes

I let mine run around all day naked on the bottom. It worked for one but the other boy was the same as yours. He eventually got the hang of it. But the poo part took much longer. I even made him go in the bathroom with his Daddy when he had to poop, so he could see another boy do it. Sometimes it just takes a while, and 2 years old is pretty young for full potty training.

3 Likes

He’s still too young…Try when he is over 21/2 at least…

6 Likes

Too young? Wow!
There were three of us: two brothers and me. Six and a half years between my younger brother and me; three and a half years between my older brother and me.
All three of us were out of diapers and using the toilet before we were two years old. We didn’t even HAVE training pants back then. I’m 72. Every child is different, though.
What I also find curious are the references used for bodily functions. My parents never said things like “go potty” or “poo-poo” or “pee-pee” or “wee-wee” or “No. 1” or “No. 2”.
My mom said whenever she or my dad noticed we were crossing our legs or holding our pants, they would just say “Come with me so you can use the bathroom.”
Oh well…different generations, I guess😊

5 Likes

Just turning two is very young in my opinion, esp for boys. Wait another 6-9 months and try again. He will get there, but only when he is ready!

6 Likes

I asked my son if he wanted to go to preschool. He said yes, I said poop in the potty. It worked.

3 Likes

Hes only 2 he will get it when he is ready. It took my son till he was 3 1/2 until he went poop on the potty. Alot of times boys are harder to train then girls.

3 Likes

My son was the exact same way. We would use a training potty for him because he’s afraid of flushing the toilet. His dad would bring him into the bathroom whenever he had to go #2 and my son just slowly learned that if dad was brave enough then he would be to.

1 Like

My son was potty trained at 3 but wouldn’t poop on the pot for another 6 months. I’d see him dancing around and put a diaper back on for him to do his thing and then back to the big boy undies. Then one day he was at my friend’s house and went all by himself. Didn’t even tell her until her son (same age) asked her for help. That was that.
Sometimes they fear “loosing part of themselves”. He will get it!! Don’t stress too much about it.

4 Likes

When we were convinced our son was capable of pooping in the toilet and chose not to, we taught him to clean up his own mess when he went in his underwear. Didn’t make a big deal about it. “When we make a mess we clean it up.” Which was consistent with what we said for other messes - toys, cooking. Within a couple days he had no more accidents.

We went through this and got frustrated and then our pediatrician told us to just stop then one day he woke and up and did both in the potty and slept through the night with no accidents. He was 3 almost 4. Training my daughter was super easy my son was so much harder. He is still young I would give it more time.

2 Likes

My grandson was almost four when his mom, my daughter, told him, “If you poop in your pants one more time, you are cleaning yourself up!”
Well, he did it while playing in the back yard. My daughter met him at the back door, handed him a wet wash cloth and clean underwear and would not let him in the house. He struggled getting his soiled shorts off, gagging all the time. He took care of business and never had another accident!:tada:

1 Like

Don’t force bowel trying. Get them the diaper if they ask for it. My granddaughter wouldn’t poop in the potty but would ask for a diaper until she was over 4 even though she was potty trained at 2. When her parents tried to not give her the diaper she would get so plugged up that it took many doses of laxatives to get her regular again. The doctor said she will do it when ready so not go fight over it.

1 Like

He’s just not ready. Same thing happened with one of my grandson’s. His twin sister was fully potty trained
but he would not poop in the toilet. I tried everything, even follower him around. He would wait until he fell asleep and then go. I had a doctor friend tell me I was going to make him constipated because he was holding it. Finally gave him a break and a few months and then tried again with success.

8 Likes

This is actually very common. Sometimes it’s related to stress but more often than not it’s just impatience or your little one exerting control over one of the few things he can. Keep offering him opportunities to try and try not to pit too much pressure on him as this will usually backfire. You could also try the MnM method (1 for pee, 2 for poop) to add incentive.

1 Like

My son did this,one of my grandsons and one of my granddaughters also.The Peds Dr.said it’s about control.I hate to tell you this but they didn’t stop until they started kindergarten.Good luck.

1 Like

I’m no expert but in my experience the worst thing you can do is make pooping on the potty into a power struggle - he has control and it won’t work. Just reward the good and he will come around.

2 Likes

Be patient… My son didn’t like water that splashback up on his little butt! He started to sit like a frog to :poop: he’s 8 now and sometimes still catch him doing it!

1 Like

You have to remember that sitting aligns they poo differently so it’s harder for them. That’s why they wait it feels different.put something under his feet so it’s more like squatting and less like sitting.

1 Like

It took me until my daughter was 3.5 years old to go poo on the potty… is give it a break and try again in a week he may just be nervous about it and you don’t want to scare him. Its a new position trying to poo sitting down.

1 Like

Dies he hide in the same spot.if so put pottychair there we saw him go over there side of couch.and he pooped and gave him reward 37 years ago but it worked

1 Like

Both my grandsons were similar to your son. My oldest decided he wanted to play soccer and we told him he couldn’t play until he pooped in the potty. No threats - just stated “oh gosh, the rules are …”. My younger grandson wanted to come stay at my house overnight. I just said “I’m so excited for you to do that but Grandma doesn’t have any diapers. As soon as you don’t need diapers, you can come!” He immediately started going on the potty!

2 Likes

I started holding my so on the adult toilet and he would go like a “big boy”. Worth a try.

1 Like

Geez, let him alone, he’s only 2, don’t force him to grow up before he’s ready. So he messes his pants, that’s your job to clean him up. Let him enjoy being a baby…

1 Like

Boys are harder! My littlest one did the same thing. He did not want to sit still for that long. I just kept after him.

1 Like

My son would hide behind something and poop in his pants. I told him if he would poop in potty I would take him and buy him a toy. I know I bribed him but it worked.

1 Like

Just let it happen…
My grandson would even come tell me that he needed to poop and needed a diaper…then one day he just went in the toilet and that was that

1 Like

Reward him if he goes on the potty use something he really likes but only give it when he goes and no other time

1 Like

Have him watch Cocomelon. Great toddler show. Have 3 episodes on potty training. Helped my granddaughter. Fully trained just over 2.

1 Like

It will take a while, but keep up with it. Reward him for doing well but let him know when he does wrong. No diapers or pull ups just underwear. Try a sticker chart. Worked for my 3 kids

My son did the same thing, fully pee trained in the toilet and took an additional 8 months to get him to poop in the toilet. He just wasn’t ready, when he had to poop he would tell us to get a diaper so he could poop, then right back on with the undies.

Take a towel and cover his head while on the potty when he needs to poop…he’s hiding sometimes to poop so it’s a privacy thing him

1 Like

I read a book called oh crap by Jamie (can’t remember the last name). Incredibly helpful insight! We just finished potty training our two year old. Pee was easy. Poop is a little more scary. Good luck!

1 Like

Please talk with your pediatrician.

Unfortunately, he is likely not ready.

You could cause major damage because he is withholding.

Talk to your pediatrician- not a fan page, this is serious stuff. I know all too well. :disappointed:

My oldest had this issue i happen to have 3 much younger sisters who were 9, 10 and 12 at the time. We went for a visit and every time one of my sisters did a number 2 we made a huge deal and they got fruit snacks. We went to visit for a week and it did the trick.

1 Like

I’ve heard alot of stories like this with boys. Just give him time. Its only been two weeks.

1 Like

Boys take longer then little girls, especially pooping,boys poop bigger and it maybe uncomfortable for him,the ploppy sound and splashing scares some kids too…best thing is not to have any diapers around,stay in for two weeks not going anywhere with him,he will eat and go potty,when he can’t enjoy outside,go see friends or family…everyone has there own ways,that work.

I had one that refused to poop in the toilet (well over 3 years old) and made him clean himself a few times, my youngest loves candy so we took away ALL candy and told him that if he peed in the potty he would get 1 mm but if he pooped he would get a small handful (he was already pee pee trained). It only took him a few days to get going. He was a little over 2 and a half.

My boys were trained by the time they were about one year old. Babysitter took them often and played with them and do did I.

1 Like

Sometimes they really don’t have control of their sphincter muscles yet so they can’t go when he is on the potty and he hides because you are making him anxious. Use pull-ups until he does better.

After training many children in daycare for many years it is true that they will do it when ready it sometimes takes longer for some children :baby: