Needing potty training tips for a boy!

Hi mamas. I’m a first-time mom here, and my son is about to be 18 months. He’s showing that he’s ready for potty training by letting me know when he’s about to poop, or he needs his diaper changes. I just needs some tips on how to potty train a boy?

5 Likes

I always put my boys on the potty when I was running there bath, the running water always encouraged them to pee and I was done before they were 2

dont sweat it too much. Tons of internet professional advice … Too much to share . I went through that too as a gma . It worked out eventually. Keep trying .

backwards on the toilet worked for me
if u got a plastic toilets seat give him a dry earase marker n let him doodle for a while when he pees/ poops jump aroumd make a big deal how happy u are for him

Naked. Lots of naked and several potty chairs We always tried first thing in the morning and before baths. Naked i could watch them kind of grab at themselves and we ran to the nearest potty then we gave treats m&ms were our favorite even if it was 2 drops Oh have them sit to pee or you get a mess. :grimacing: mine were 5 ish before they stood

4 Likes

Best of luck. Mine stays naked 90% of the day while we’re potty training. If theres some special secret to it all, please clue me in when you find out :upside_down_face:

Fruit loops and cheerios for targets to help learn to aim…

I have 2 boys and 5 girls… so when I started having boys I didn’t know what in the world I was doing lol. What ended up working for me is putting the boys facing the back of the toilet. And let them run around the house with no underwear. And when they used the potty I’d make a really big deal and give them a treat that they liked. Worked like a charm!

Don’t rush them maybe undies on and a tshirt for the day so they can have less clothes to remove when going to the toilet. Praise them and reassurance make it a game fun. I have 3 sons potty is good for number 2 and then have a stool that they can climb onto and leave the toilet lid up all the time. Make it fun and reward them when they do it.

Fruit loops in the toilet for aiming

Naked and we had a step ladder and small toilet seat which I left in place all the time, plus a sticker chart for each time they went - extra special stickers for poos as they were reluctant to use the toilet for those initially

Cheerios in the toilet and have him aim! That was how I got my son to first try, and lots of naked time. We’re still working on #2 he seems to be more resistant to that but I’ve stopping pushing too hard and he’s actually been more willing to try if I give him the choice of diaper or potty :woman_shrugging:t3: we’ll get there one day lol

I had two boys and one daughter. The boys took longer to train. Try the cheerio trick. My oldest took the longest. But that goes without saying. Enjoy your baby. No stressing. He will do it when he’s ready :heavy_heart_exclamation:

No different than a girl. I always took my kids straight to the potty chair as soon as they woke up in the morning. Then I always took them every hour after that and if they didn’t use it at that time I would try 15-30 mins later. I would always have something to reward them if they used the potty.

2 Likes

Cheerios in the potty… Gotta hit :dart: the cheerios when u pee

3 Likes

My son is 2 and is fully potty trained. My advise Consistency, Consistency, Consistency. I have girls and a boy and boys are harder so Consistency was the key. Don’t forget to have fun with it, it can be stressful but its doable.

Research 3 day method worked like a charm

If u have a tree out back. Make a target… have him shoot at the target… that’s how my son taught his twin boys. Make a game of it.

Way too young for going #2 by himself.

Ask his father to show him .

1 Like

I left my kids naked and they were potty trained in 3 days :rofl:

1 Like

Id say get a stool or a him size potty. Try underwear during the day, pull ups at night. And theres many ways you can try. Have dad take him when he has to go, bring him in every 30 min till he goes and praise him good, I’ve heard of cheerios in the toilet for aim… all kids are different and need to be able to work at their own pace so don’t feel defeated if your first attempts don’t catch. Find what rhythm he works best with. Prize chart, going with help from mom/dad, ect. Always praise over the top when he goes! When he has accidents, clean em up together and reinforce positively where to go when he gets that feeling. Being able to pin point the particular feeling right before you gotta go will help.

Buy some dry erase markers turn him backwards bon the big potty let him draw until he potties then praise him for being a big boy. Your floor will thank you

4 Likes

This last one I put him in undies told him/daddy showed him the potty goes in the potty I took about 4-5 days before he was telling me he had to go or taking himself with no more accidents he wears a pull up to bed still boys are like that lol

Make sure his potty will permit his feet to reach the floor.
Ever tried to have a BM when your feet cannot reach the floor?

My of boys just wait. Mr 5 done it himself after a few attempts. Literally just didn’t out a nappy on one day and bam no problems scenes

what i did was buy him a potty and every time he drink some or eat put him on it

Put a couple cherrios in the toilet and tell him to pee on them

My oldest was easy to potty train. The first time he wanted to sit on the big boy toilet he let me know he had to pee. I brought him in the bathroom stood him in front of the toilet and told him to hold his business down toward the toilet so he didnt pee all over the place.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PUT CEREAL IN YOUR TOILET!!! That is not good for the septic system and just asking for there to be problems from the get go…

Let them pee out side no matter where you are

Set a timer every half hour take him up to go potty. By one week or sooner he could be potty trained. Thats what we did with my 4 year old son. He started going before the timer would go off. Now he goes when he has to.

God speed for the little boy potty training mama of 3 boys. Best I have found is the three day method. Leaning to aim and sit still long enough to potty is another story. cheerios work

Cheerios and being left naked, quickest way my kids were potty trained