Needing tips on weaning my child from breastfeeding

I want to start weaning my baby off of breastfeeding because I plan to go back to work soon! He’s nine months and is mostly nursing for comfort but eating real food way more. What are suggestions on how to wean him off completely?

2 Likes

Encourage a cup for your child. It was hard for myself to wean my daughter from breast feeding. You may have to try different cup styles for your child.

I Breastfeed 3 babies (while working full time outside of the home) and weaning just happens. Different for everyone and every child. I’d recommend reading the resources like this at Weaning Gently: Outgrowing the Need - La Leche League International There are many ways and I’d say find what works for you and your family.

Look into the ‘don’t offer, don’t refuse’ method. That’s what I did with my daughter and it worked really well!

When I started working, my son would nurse when I was home, and then eat regular food and juice while I wasn’t home. He was perfectly content.

I have 1 Daughter, and she’s my only baby, she’s going to be 3 in May and I’d LOVE for our breastfeeding journey to come to an end real soon. When she’s going through a growth spurt, she feeds from me a lot, and barely eats food. So, this is one of the main reasons I’ve let her go this long. I tell her ‘no, thank you’ when she wants to feed, but she cries, and then I end up giving in.

Start pumping now and/or introducing what will be replacing your breast milk. This will help start the process by going to a bottle and potentially having someone else feed them. I’ve nursed two boys to 10-12 months each (worked outside of home) and it was different for both and it can be quite stressful/anxiety inducing for you when you realize this might be the last time. So make sure to be patient with yourself.

I started this with reducing the frequency of breast feeding.
It is different in case of different people but my daughter took almost one year to switch.
She was 2 year old when we started trying. And almost when she was 3 and ready for play group. She left the habit.

1 Like

He’ll need formula or pumped breastmilk until 12 months even if he’s eating a lot of solids, milk is baby’s main source of nutrition for the first year :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Following!! I’m trying to do the same thing but with my almost 2 year old!

1 Like

Following for my 13 month old

Mine was way older (2years old) but we had tried everything to get her to ween and nothing would work until i told her that the boobs were broken and put a band-aid on them worked great :joy::wink::face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Good luck!

1 Like

Check out my YouTube video. Hopefully it can help.

Weaning my Baby from the Breast

Nap time and bed time were the hardest, start with nap time, snuggle but offer a sippy cup or pacifier instead, then do it at night. Takes about a week, but be consistent.

He will need some form of breast milk or formula until he is a year old, but I would start pumping and mix it in with formula, or just pump and give him a bottle until he is old enough for cows milk. Stopping the night feedings are the hardest.