Negatives of having a IV put in during labor?

For the mamas who typically go more of the natural route, what are the negatives of having IV placed during labor? I keep hearing people don’t like it, but I thought it was to keep you hydrated!

4 Likes

I’m getting ready to deliver baby #6 in the next few weeks… an IV being placed has never been optional. Not only is it there for hydration, but if something does happen to go wrong that is going to be the fastest line of defense for an anti-biotic, meds needed for complications, and even blood transfusions if needed.

20 Likes

I didn’t have to have one until I said I wasn’t sure about getting an epidural with my 2nd and 3rd, they can place the line just to have it ready if needed but it’s not mandatory if you go without intervention. They placed mine so they didn’t have to try and do it while I was in the midst of contractions, just made life a little easier for everyone. My first was an induction so I didn’t have the option. Honestly I would opt for having the line ran just as a precautionary thing, so they don’t have to try and do it in an emergency situation and then if you don’t need it, have it removed right after delivery.

1 Like

You mean an epidural. An IV is something something else entirely.

They inhibit movement and can be uncomfortable. You can always just drink water

You are automatically hooked up to IV. No questions ever asked with any of my 3 deliveries here in the state of Michigan. If I could have said no, I would have.

I was in for 4 weeks before she had to be taken via emergency c section. None of what happened was what I wanted. I got admitted with nothing - no personal belongings, nothing. Including my hopes, wishes or birth plan. When you aren’t sure if either of you will make it at various times, your morals do compromise a lot quicker. Do I love that I had to take all the extra medical stuff and big pharma meds? Nope,not at all, not even 5 years later. Did I budge on some nicu protocols and meds I didn’t really want her to have? Yes, unfortunately I did. I held tight to my core of no vaxx and eye goop etc etc, but did I do the caffeine for her lungs and bictra for her kidneys. Yes, I did. Didn’t love it, but I did it.
And even though I still don’t love the choices I had to make. I do love my 31 week preemie who is 5 years old, only spent 3 weeks in the nicu and rocked out at 34 weeks and 6 days and was the 5th baby in that docs 33 years to leave before 35 weeks… Her I love beyond all else and we’re both still here, she’s thriving and you’d never know she was a preemie who gave us a Rocky start

2 Likes

It’s always a good idea in case it’s needed. They can just place it and not attach it but if they need access in case of an emergency better safe then sorry.

1 Like

I think it’s so they can give emergency meds if necessary. I don’t remember having one with my daughter but I had her within 30 mins of getting to the hospital I know I had one with my son and he was born within an hour

People are so quick to refuse the most simple things. It’s an IV… it’s there IN CASE you need it in an emergency. Not really sure why anyone would feel the need to refuse something as little as an IV

2 Likes

It’s for hudration and an access port if needed. Of anything happens and you need a c-section or some other surgery, it’s already their. It didn’t bother me with my first. When I needed an emergency c-section, I was glad it was already there.

I had a midwife but still delivered in a hospital with my third. My first two I did a normal hospital birth and was connected to an iv with fluids and then eventually got an epidural. With my last they put in the iv port but never actually hooked me up to the iv and it was nice not being connected and having more mobility and freedom without wheeling around a stand for the iv bag! I had the needle inserted already though so if I did need emergency meds or decide to go the epidural I was already ready. They did give me some medicine for my nausea but inserted into the port in my arm!

1 Like

Just a IV nothing wrong with it to me. Easy simple and almost painless. It’s there when or if needed specialky for emergencies. I don’t like them in my arm but on top of hand is great and doesn’t restrict movement. I’m was glad I had it when my blood pressure dropped so fast. Was easy and fast for meds.

1 Like

I had baby number 10 all natural ive always done all natural ive never allowes an iv its a personal choice one that they try to bully u into. Ive had really bad expieriences with ivs so i do not allow it for any reason now

Nothing wrong with an iv during labour
Your contractions would hurt way more then a canular would
It’s only to give you fluids

There’s literally no negatives to having an iv
Not liking it doesn’t count when it’s about yours and your child’s health

I’ve had two deliveries without an IV just because my labor was so short. My other three were with saline drip. The most common risks of an IV are nominal: potential infection at site, bruising, & possible fluid retention. The positive is that in an emergency situation medical staff can more easily give medications, and it helps with hydration during long labors. As a doula, I typically reccomended an IV catheter for mamas even if they opted not to recieve fluids initially. If the cath is placed it is easy to upgrade if needed.

Alot of hospitals will tell you it’s simply protocol to keep you safe in case of emergency. No you may not need to put anything into it and can simply say no to medications but if you were to be actively dying there might be something they could put in it to help save you. It’s worth having just in case in my personal opinion. Even if you don’t use it. It’s just there to keep you safe xx

4 Likes

I had three IVs whilst in labour. My best advice is to ensure they rig you up so you’re not lying on your back during labour but able to get onto all-fours.

2 Likes

… I had four canulas. You can cope with one.

It’s more in case of emergencies and honestly, it’s a little annoying but you won’t be focused in on that with a baby coming :slight_smile:

Girl get that iv, get that epidural if you want it! Doesn’t make you any more or less a mom. You do you and just love on that baby like a momma should. :heart: I had it with all mine as well as the epidural and was actually able to keep a clear head during labor and enjoyed every minute of the birth. They’re all productive members of society. You do whatever your heart desires, it’s all the same in the end….a beautiful baby is born.

1 Like

I always just have a help-lock. So they have instant access to vein if needed but no lines annoying me

I love fluids through an IV, makes me feel alive :rofl: plus I genuinely believe that you’re less likely to tear if fully hydrated. Your tissues are more soft and flexible.

There’s no negatives from a ‘natural’ standpoint imo. Other than if it’s always hooked up fully you don’t have full mobility. But you just ask for them to take off the connector & they leave the iv in in case it needs to be hooked up again, then you have free mobility.