*NO BASHING* I love my son but I hate motherhood: Advice?

My baby boy is two years old, and I love him to death, but I’m starting to hate motherhood. I have PPD and can’t get rid of it, and it’s affection all my relationships to the point that I feel like I’m the worst mom ever, and kinda wish I never because of one! How do I deal with this? Help!

34 Likes

Get into counseling asap. Make sure to self care too! You got this!

3 Likes

Go see your PCP. They can get you on some medication and point you in the direction of some therapists. :heart:

2 Likes

Definitely second counselling, reach out to friends and family. Make plans which include your child and also make time for yourself. You’re not a bad mum you’re just doing your best and only human! You can do this :kissing_heart: don’t feel ashamed for asking for help xx

2 Likes

Talk to a doctor. PPD is NOT your fault! But you do need to seek help, medication and/or counseling.

2 Likes

Oh, honey. ppd is hard. Get into therapy, they may also need to change your medication. :heart: just know that you are NOT a bad mom. Some of us just need more help than others. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

you just gotta believe you can make it, your son needs you more than anyone else and most of all pray.

2 Likes

Honestly I feel the same way too. I have a 9 year old and 2 year old and have battled it the entire time. I love my children but I struggle with motherhood. It’s a daily struggle and I feel terrible because of it.

3 Likes

Look into social groups around your town or isolation will get the best of you. Hit up a park, try to talk to other people during the day even if it’s a quick hello… don’t dwell on your sad thoughts too long. It’s ok to be sad, the fact that you worry about being a bad mom shows that you’re caring. You’re on the right path, just breathe :heart::heart: self care, hot baths and sleep girly. You got this !

3 Likes

You need to see your doctor ASAP.

3 Likes

Post partum is not something you just let go.
Talk to your doctor immediately. You can feel better again. :heart:

1 Like

Seek therapy talk to your doctor take time for yourself elist your family for help so you can have a break at least once a week. Make fun play dates with your son that YOU can enjoy. I hike and tug babe along hes been along since a few months old and grew to love it.

1 Like

Omg I’m going through the EXACT same thing with my 2 year old! Feel free to PM me if you want someone to talk to.

7 Likes

Doctor and/or therapist, ASAP.

1 Like

I trink many parents, have moments where they don’t enjoy parenthood. It’s hard, especially if you don’t get time for yourself.
Counseling helps, outlets help, but it’s great your seeking advice. Your baby is a divine little soul and the creator gifted you this little human to take care of.
Breathe- make a plan… seek out supportive resources and dig deep for patience… parenting classes are always helpful, even utube videos, about dealing with a 2 year old…

6 Likes

Ppd is hard I struggle with depression daily and they just have to get you on the right meds for you to feel better, keep in mind that it can take up to 2 weeks before you will feel the effects of the meds. Having a 2tr old is hard to begin with . Mine are 3 & 2 and drive me bronkers some days. Hang in there girl

1 Like

First of all see your doctor ASAP. If you don’t work get a job so you get adult interaction and using your brain for other things besides Mommy.

3 Likes

What you’re going through is by far way more common than you actually think. You’re reaching out looking for answers so you’re already being better than you think you are. I dont have kids so I cant offer advice but want you to know it is super common and you are not alone. Good luck.

2 Likes

Girl life can be so much better if the only relationship you work on is with you son and a doctor for yourself til you feel normal again. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Do you work? If not get a part time job. Working always does wondersm

2 Likes

Seek counseling. Ask your doctor. You can get through it. I’ve been there. Don’t lose hope.

4 Likes

You need to get to your local doctor or primary and get something hooked up with them. Depression is a biotch! My oldest will be 8 in a few weeks and it took me till a month or so ago to actually get help. It has its waves. But better to be positive n happy again! :heart:

1 Like

Go see a therapist. Ppd can lead to suicide.

1 Like

Go see a doctor. Find mom friends.

2 Likes

Thank god I’m not alone in this. I have a 3 year old. And as much as I love him, I hate motherhood. No freedom, constant fighting and cleaning up after him. It’s just me and him, no family help and we have some good times but it feels like the bad always out weighs the good.

2 Likes

This is called the terrible twos, I feel I have a similar situation, after my second I got ppd then when he turned two it got muuuuuch worse. I don’t know what to do anymore, I hate anti depression medicine, it makes me feel horrible, medicine is not always the answer, but worth the try if you want. I like to(whenever I have alone time) talk to myself or my husband, and fully lay out my feelings, and tell myself where I need to better things, it’s all I can do to help from getting worse

1 Like

Ppd isn’t something to mess with. It’s hard and can take over your life before you even realize it. Talk to your doctor they can get you the help you need. Surround yourself with positive people. A lot of the time you start to isolate yourself. Be in ng around people and going out is helpful. Dont feel bad needing a break from your baby every now and then. Maybe have a grandparent or someone you trust watch the baby for a few hours or over night so you can have you time.

2 Likes

Hang in there, keep up with therapy

1 Like

Get help now it’s harder when they grow up, it goes in spurts for me. I get it!

1 Like

I feel the exact same way. I got pregnant by accident. I was always told I could not have children and I had had five miscarriages priar. I was with the love of my life at that time who promised me the world and a family and a home and everything under the Sun but all he ever did was walk out of our lives and come back and leave again and come back and leave again and now he’s permanently gone. And I’m sitting here holding the bag. He doesn’t pay child support he doesn’t see our son he just went away. Now I filed for divorce and I’m stuck and I can’t work and I can’t do anything because I can’t find child care that I can afford. I never get away for a minute to myself. It’s a horrible life, but the decision was made to go through with the pregnancy and this is what I’m dealing with. My heart goes out to you, I totally get it.

2 Likes

You need to see a therapist. You deserve to be enjoying motherhood and depression can make us hate everything under the sun. I am always willing to be someone to vent to during hard times if you ever want to message me.

2 Likes

See a doctor. Find time to be your own person too.
Mothers often tend to lose their sense of self, which sort of leads to the “I hate being a parent” feeling.

1 Like

Motherhood is very hard. Some people will disagree but especially being a sahm. Being a working mom is impossible and I’m so lucky and happy to be a sahm, I’m allotted what most dont get to have, BUT it has it’s own issues. One of them is isolation. I know people say get out, find playdates, etc. But really, at the end of the day, unless you have a mom friend who you regularly talk to then it’s very lonely. I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo, and i openly admit that i have no friends. I dont have time or the interest to listen to peoples issues that i dont relate to and i have yet to find anyone that i can rely on and that is also in a similar situation. That being said, i fill my lack of friends with things i enjoy doing, things just for me. TV shows i enjoy, i know that it’s not the best but if my kids are watching tv or awake I just watch some shows on my phone in my down time, or while I’m cleaning. It makes me feel like I’m not being consumed by kids. I love my kids, and I dont mind motherhood but it isnt easy, and in the end I believe it takes a lot of sound mind and a lot of self reflection that can be exhausting to be a mother. Motherhood teaches you things that nothing else in life can, and it’s not easy and pretty. I would suggest you try to find times yo do things you enjoy even if it’s a little bit at a time. If that doesnt help you, maybe see a therapist. I have anxiety and depression and I suffered ppd. It’s not easy dealing with it and it takes a lot of strength, so kudos to you for being so strong and asking for help!

1 Like

Get help from a dr …

1 Like

Oh hun. :heart: Talk to your doctor about medication and therapy. Be honest with him/her so they can really help you. If you take meds, do NOT stop because you “feel better.” That is the meds doing their job, so continue as prescribed

2 Likes

I’m on meds and doing much better. I have bad days, but not like before

1 Like

Therapy and b12 high amounts helps…

Motherhood is definitely not everybody. I love my kids to death but there are days that I wish I’m only responsible for my well being. Never had ppd but I had depression since I was a teenager which gets milder over the years. Still it comes and goes. What works for me is to keep a list of priorities. Days that I’m good I will line up kids activities and give all of my attention to them. Every 3-4 months I will organized a weekend trips or activities with friends and focus my energy on these couple of days making them as fun and memorable. Then for the rest of the years I will focus on getting through the routine of the day. So that when I have a bad days I can do the bare minimum then just crash and burn. I will fed them and let the toys and TV do the entertainment.

Definitely get help and ask for help. Doctor. Medications if needed. Friends and family. Mother is not easy. But you don’t have to go through it alone. Don’t let anyone, even yourself make you think that you’re a bad mom. Because you tried. Hug.

4 Likes

I just recently had my third child it’s a boy this time and I have had nothing but PPD with this one it’s been rough. You would think this being my third child I would feel happy I truly am not. I feel worthless like a horrible mother, I am not myself and all I wana do is cry. I hardly sleep or eat and I stop taking my pills (anxiety and depression) when I kno i need to take them. I would deffiantly seek help. Also be straight forward with them. I told them I was fine at my last apt. When really i am not and wished i would of just been straight forward with them

2 Likes

Go and see a doc try and find me time ,I have a hard time myself I have depression and another thing I wish not to say and with three kids it can be hard

1 Like

God blessed you with a child not all women can have children. Have a family member or babysitter come and give you a break. See a Doctor for advice. Don’t give up. It will get better.

2 Likes

I agree with the ladies saying go see a doctor. PPD can be treated and there’s no reason to have to suffer.
I was in this exact place 5 months ago and felt absolutely horrible. I felt that I was a bad mom and wife and didn’t understand what I was doing wrong. I felt depressed to the point that I didn’t even want to try anymore. I started reading a book called To Train Up A Child and it changed my life! It had stories in it from other parents in the same place as I was and said if you feel that you don’t like your child and get frustrated with him for throwing a fit rest assured it’s not that you don’t like your child, it’s that you don’t like who you’ve allowed your child to become… I was not disciplining my precious boy correctly (not at all really) and we were both suffering for it. The EXACT SAME day I started telling him no and he responded with anger because he was used to getting whatever he wanted I began “training him” while saying no give him a little pop on the leg or hand just enough to get his attention… do not do it if you’re angry. But I promise, the day I started this he became a different kid. We are both so much happier now that there are rules and boundaries… it brings peace to your home and unity between you and your children.
I don’t know if it’s a lack of discipline that is making you miserable but it was for me. I’m praying for you mama! Either way, this won’t last forever :heart:

2 Likes

I had to get on meds. I quit bfing even though i cried and cried about quitting. But after 14 months feeling awful getting on meds changed my life. I felt like me again. I felt happy and i love life again.

1 Like

Find a therapist ASAP

1 Like

I can understand this. Take time for you. And not to be a med pusher but they have saved my life.

3 Likes

:’( ik how u feel, u need to go see someone. Therapists really do make u feel better and helps improve your life.

1 Like

Some people struggle to have kids, or can’t at all. Go and see a therapist, and be grateful for your child. I lost my first one and it took me a year to get pregnant again.

1 Like

Motherhood is a gift from god. I dont understand because i don’t know anyone who has that. I would definitely seek help if you can’t afford Threapy… talk to your doctor to get medication explain your PPD. I think you need to love yourself and your child even on ur wrost days a child brings happiness to life. Maybe pray ask god to help you get threw it. You are very lucky some people can’t have children they are definitely a blessing. I know it’s hard to be a parent but it’s worth it. They will love you unconditionally! Sometimes just stop & take a deep breath maybe do some exercises at home that can help ur condition.

1 Like

Doctors office. Life shouldn’t be that hard.

2 Likes

See a psychologist. If medication is needed
They will send you to a dr for a script

1 Like

:heart: so common hope you find the strength you need, and you will. Strongly recommend cognitive behaviour therapy. Can get referral from your doctor

1 Like

I, too, struggled with PPD. I never wanted to hurt my children only myself. I never felt good enough to be their mother. I spent time with counselors, psychologist and even a psychiatrist, with meds and prayerI was able to overcome these feelings. I, also, have a wonderful husband who helped me a lot. I had support from my parents and his parents but it was hard. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you can maybe find a Mother’s Day out program to help you

1 Like

This is normal as a mother. I sometimes feel the same way. But I remember no matter what I’m always going to have someone to love me unconditionally even when I feel like a awful mother. But I will say it’s never easy having a child or children. Parenthood is a hard job. I have 3 boys and currently 26 weeks pregnant with another boy. So I see it as it’s my job to teach them raise them right but most importantly is to keep my mental health in check to plus I have two other people my husband my children n mother in law who is my rock to keep me moving forward. It’s about who u also have in having ur back as well.

2 Likes

You need to see a Dr. who can help you with this. Not advice from Facebook. Its very serious and you need to get help. :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

2 Likes

Some of these comments infuriated me! It took me six years to have my son. I had 2 late term miscarriages and more medical procedures than I care to explain. I love my son but motherhood is hard especially if you have PPD. I have it to this day and it has been a struggle! How dare any of you tell her to deal with it and be grateful because some people can’t have kids!! I was one of those people and I can’t have anymore and I understand her completely!!! You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!! She didn’t say she didn’t love her son she said she hated motherhood that is two totally separate things!!! And not one of your comments was needed or helpful!!! As to the poster please speak to your doctor you may need different medications or a stronger does, therapy helps but what helped the most was getting help with “motherhood”! I was 37 when I had my son completely 100% on my own by the way!!! With the help of a donor and a very amazing team of fertility doctors… I ended up having someone come in to help me with the day to day stuff which took some of the pressure off. I did this for several months and it’s only been a couple months now after adjusting my meds and having help that I finally started to feel like me again. I don’t hate motherhood, I hated what I thought motherhood was supposed to be or to look like. Once I figured out how it was for me and my son everything started to feel a lot better… I am sure your a great mom but give yourself some time to just be you again!! That’s ok too… and ignore all the insensitive self righteous comments! Please ask for help even if you just need a babysitter while your still at home doing other things that’s ok too!!! Praying for you momma!!

5 Likes

Get on anti depressants and see if they help. My Dr put me on Prozac at the beginning of my pregnancy to get things under control

1 Like

I’m sorry this is happening to you I had PP Psychosis after my 2nd child and It was horrible. You need to get help ASAP before you possibly do something you can’t take back. I’m not trying to be a jerk but you shouldn’t hate motherhood it should bring you joy. That feeling isn’t normal.

1 Like

If you ever need to talk you’re welcome to PM me

1 Like

Get professional help! Here is the thing, our bodies can get sick yet nobody stops to think that the mind can get just as sick or worse. Especially if you have children, you need to get help ASAP. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Don’t ever blame yourself for what is happening to you. Our minds, our body and all need to get the time it needs to heal on it’s own time. And the just the thing with PPD, see a professional, talk to a friend, hey you can even talk to a nurse. We are all very understanding to this because your not the only one, we see this very often and it only gets worse when you have a baby and they are in their toddler years. Good luck momma bear. Your strong, you can face this and beat it.

1 Like

Contact your doctor. They may refer you to a psychologist. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and there is help available for you.

1 Like

With PPD U can’t say hate anything right now, go to therapy… those emotions may or may not be real real

1 Like

Makes me so sad to hear anyone say they hate motherhood. I wanna say then why have kids, but how could you know you would have PPD?! I’m sending prayers! Definitely talk to your doctor about this.

Ppl need to understand that you have to be okay yourself motherhood is draining…it really is…i have bipolar disorder and mdd so i feel ya…you need " me time" you need a break for a lil bit to focus on your mental health…yes easier said than done but…you really do

1 Like

My heart hurts for you mama. First of all please please go to the doctor, medication could make a world of difference for you and your circle. There are professionals out there that understand PPD very well and are equipped to help you get better, Facebook people however will not. Know that you are not alone mama. Motherhood is rough and if anyone tries to tell you otherwise they are full of crap. You are not broken, you are not a bad mother, you are not a bad person. You’ve found your strength to go this long now direct it to medical help❤️ best of luck to you and remember, it’s your brain playing tricks on you, not your reality. Let someone help you lift that painful fog

1 Like

Go and speak to a personal therapist. Possibly a family counselor as well. You may even need to get on antidepressants. Don’t try to just shove this to the side and suffer and silence. For the sake of your well being and happiness, and for your child/family as well, please go seek help.

Everyone hates motherhood @ 1point or another… Ive told my daughter. " There is a reason animals eat their babies in the wild" :rofl: I was clearly kidding. But she stopped pushing. (She’s 11 now)
Motherhood is HARD, Unappreciated & unforgiving in most cases till the kids are bigger.
I personally had to go see my Dr. And get put on Rx. To help me deal.
And that is ok. You got this.

3 Likes

Let your Family know an tell your Doctor, don’t keep it to yourself, tell someone!

1 Like

Are you on an antidepressant? Also, having friends and family that are supportive will help. Do you still socialize with friends? Are you getting enough sleep, exercise, and nutrients?
Also, have your doctor check your vitamin D levels. Many times low vitamin D is a hidden cause of depression.

2 Likes

Motherhood is not easy. Every mother has these kinds of thoughts at some point. I suffered from PPD, the best thing for you is a support system and tell the doctor about it. He can try and help or help you get help. Prayers for you

Talk to your on/gyn doctor, family doctor or even pediatrician. With a little help and definitely medication you will feel better in no time. It’s hard to ask for help, but very worth it. Take that first step - you deserve to feel better.

1 Like

The Dr would be your best source of help. Exercise if you have the will to get up and do it really helps. Give yourself a break. Get a sitter now and then.

4 Likes

Have you spoken to your doctor? To your family? Depression is a strong thing. I know how you feel. If you haven’t already, please get help. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Motherhood is hard. I am prone to depression and I absolutely can’t be a stay at home mom for this reason. I end up falling into depression and resenting my children and husband. So if you’re a stay at home mom, you might be like me. I had to go back to work when my middle child was 8 months old. It’s the best decision I have made for my children yet. I am a better mother when I’m working. It’s sad but it’s true. Please seek help. :heart:

1 Like

The best and only way you can deal with this is to see a medical professional. Advise from anyone on My Favorite Holidays will not help you out, the only place that will help with PPD is a medical professional, seek a doctor for professional help.

2 Likes

Tell your doctor. I had PPD shortly after my son was born. I had to have him by emergency c-section. For some reason unknown to me I didn’t get to hold him til the next day. Long story short, all the new mom feelings ganged up on me and I developed it. I had no desire to go near him. I couldn’t finish a sentence without crying. Thank God I had my mother and mother in law to help out. I was put on medication. Talk to the dr or find a support group. You’ll get through it!

Eating healthier will lessen symptoms. Cut out processed food and eat lots of fruit. Drink chamomile tea and soak in a hot tub with epsom salt. Get a massage or a pedicure. Hire a sitter and have a girls night. Take a walk every day. Write down what you are grateful for. Get 8 hours of sleep. Hope you feel better soon!

Join some type of work out groop. Or just make time to go for a run or something. Eat well, more healthy. No fast food at all. No prosesed junk food. Only real food. Make time to take him out to a mommy and me groop or just go do fun stuff with him. Talk to him. You will be amazed how much they pick up. Get medical help. Some one nonjudgmental to talk to. But I never recommend drugs, they are a short term fix with long term sideffects. Herbalist asre great. Maybe accupuncher.

Different psychiatrist/medicine. One tip: If you’re anywhere close to bipolar depression, as opposed to unipolar depression, antidepressants can cause rapid cycling of manic states and depressed states. A mood stabilizer is what is now recommended. Lamictal is saving my life.

You got this…
Like said above talk to a doctor, eat healthy, take time for yourself, join a mommy and me group.

Remember what holiday is next and be THANKFUL

I’m sure although u think that your baby is thinking how lucky he is to have you as a mom… keep your head up it gets better

2 Likes

Go to a therapist, it’s easier to talk to a stranger then a Family member, Family doesn’t understand, but a stranger gets more insight ause they don’t know you…Good Luck…

It is real you need to seek help asap.

You talk to your doctor.

Talk to a doctor ASAP

PPD is treatable. But if you have it, you most likely will have it with every pregnancy. Psychiatrists advise not having too many children if you are predisposed to it as it worsens with each birth. And can become very serious. If I had it, I would not have more than 2 and I would plan with my doctor to start antidepressants as soon as my 2nd child was born.
My sister had it and went on to have 6 children and it has never dissipated. It got so severe that she was hallucinating. With meds and treatment. She had been advised to stop having children but her religion stated to have as many as god wanted her too. It has been really hard. Her youngest is 14 now but she is still dealing with severe symptoms.

1 Like

Also, it is nothing to feel guilty or ashamed of. It is a chemical imbalance in your brain caused by hormones. You would not feel guilt or shame over a kidney disease. This is a brain disease. So don’t beat yourself up.

1 Like

Stop being a pussy and man up its not your life anymore you have a child that depends on you no time to be a pussy anymore