No one informed me of my uncles death....advice?

So I get a msg about My uncle passed away just a few minutes ago. So I messaged my mom an told her well she apparently knew since the day he passed which was last Saturday!! An not a soul told me oh an the funeral is tomorrow!! Like are you kidding me. Knowing my boss has to have a week notice for anything. So I’ll be the bad guy because I didn’t come.

23 Likes

I just found out Friday that my great aunt passed 3 months ago. No one decided to tell me.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss and that you weren’t told as soon as your family knew.

Grieve for your uncle in your own way but make no mistake, the real death here is your relationship with the rest of your family, it is disappointing and heartbreaking but you need to protect yourself from toxic sabotage

7 Likes

There is law in place for 3 days minimum for family greiving etc.

1 Like

You should have at least 3 days for grievance. It’s a law.

2 Likes

Please remind your boss that death does not give a weeks notice. Also that you were not notified properly that is not your fault. This was dumped on you.

6 Likes

Well. What’s the relationship like with your family/mother? How did you not get informed of this news? Two way street to these kinds of things. Whether you self alienated yourself from family. Or you stood up for something against them—there’s gotta be something. Right or wrong. These things don’t just happen because you’re unfairly targeted and neglected.

3 Likes

They didn’t tell you for a reason , I mean , they clearly doesn’t want you there , so why bother with not showing up, he is dead , he doesn’t care if you attend his funeral or not

No job will can you for a death in the family. You simply call as soon as possible and say your Uncle died suddenly and you won’t be in.

4 Likes

I wasn’t informed about my dad’s death the day after… wasn’t told about his funeral until an hour after it started. I can’t grieve cause i feel like I was robbed of my goodbyes

14 Likes

I didn’t get told about my brother or put on the obituary!! It’s life now I guess! Just move on is all we can do!

I’m sorry. Death is hard enough and then people have to go and make it hit even harder by adding unnecessary actions. Go to your job with the info and hope for some compassion.

Ive found out about every death in my family on FB (Both mom and dads side). It sucks and now everyone wonders why I don’t come to family gatherings. And its just simply because now i don’t feel like part of the family.

I had this happen to me, couple of my own family members passed. I never knew till it was posted on fb. Which is absolutely pissed me off. You would think a phone call from someone in the family, but nope. Not a soul. It only takes 2 sec to call someone. It’s disgusting if you ask me. I’m sorry you had to go through this. I cut my family for this plus other things. Doesn’t help that no one in my own family even talks to me. So I just don’t let anything really bother me anymore. Or at least try not too. I stick with my two sisters and my family that I made.

You’re boss can’t enforce that when it comes to a medical emergency or a death
Some families just suck, we just recently found out my grandma passed away 4 YEARS AGO
There are reasons I’m estranged from my family however my daughter was very very close to my grandma and it’s just another low blow that they didn’t deem us worthy of knowing

You go and take the funeral documentation to your job and tell them you didn’t know till last minute but you didn’t lie. If they fire you, it’s wrongful. Don’t let a job tell you you’re not allowed to mourn.

5 Likes

I always had a family call tree. I would call my aunts/ uncles/& one of my cousins, then they called their siblings. When my aunt passed away few yrs ago, I called my cousins & they were to call their siblings- some decided to be assholes & bull crap( was during COVID). There was no wake, no funeral, just a graveside service. Some showed up in blizzard conditions, others didn’t & were pissed that “I” didn’t call them personally… still don’t have anything to do with me. Their loss! Some families can be really hateful…

Unfortunately, no one Fs you like family