One year old refuses to eat

I’m a first time momma to a beautiful little girl who turned a year old in January. I cannot get her to eat. I’ve been patient, tried lots of different foods with her and she still just spits nearly everything out or she eats a couple of small bites and doesn’t eat anything else. I without fail can get her to eat chicken, chicken noodle soup or crackers. But obviously that’s not a well rounded, healthy diet. But I cave in nearly every day because she’s at least eating something. Her pediatrician has me giving her some toddler formula until she starts eating real meals. How did you mommas with picky eaters get your kids to eat? It makes me feel guilty and like a terrible mom when she doesn’t eat the actual meals that I make. Heeeeelp.

9 Likes

My son is almost two and fights veggies sometimes. We let him take a bite of something he really likes and then a bite of veggie. We always do a protein fruit and veggie for lunch and dinner. He fights some but we wait him out and now he understands he has to eat it too and he gets stuff he wants. They also make these organic apple sauce pouches called plum organics and they have different mixes of fruits and veggies and he loves them!

Put what you want her to eat on your plate and share with her. I’ve learned that I can have the same thing on my plate that’s on her tray but she won’t touch her food but will want mine.

Just keep offering and use supplements like the doc said maybe some vitamins too

Maybe have a mommy play date with some kids at lunch, if she sees other kids eating yummy foods she will too?
I know my son was SO PICKY until he started school and I’ve made him eat school lunches and it’s truly made him branch out and like a Lot of foods HED never EVER try !
I know she’s young for school, haha but maybe it could help

Carnations instant breakfast in their milk and v8 splash for juice. They loved it. Then they discovered all beef hotdogs.

1 Like

Try adding things to what she does eat! That’s what I had to do for my nephews! Lucky me they would eat Roman noodles so I would add corn in it just a little at first where they wouldnt notice and then I would add peas or other vegetables! Also they loved junk food so I would tell them they couldnt have junk food until they at x amount of real food and they wouldnt get much of the junk food at all they always had to eat more of the real food than they would get of the junk food they wanted!

My daughters started out as amazing eaters. Any food or meal you had they would eat. Now they like the bare minimum of food and only sometimes. One day they’ll eat a hot dog (only if it’s cold) the next day they hate them, only plain spagettios, sometimes chicken nuggets…
They always like junk food though. :confused:
If you’re getting nutrition in and your gp has no concerns I would just continue to try and introduce simple foods to her and use the supplements.

2 Likes

My kid is like that. Id make breakfast of whatever it may be ( eggs, french toast, pancakes or waffles) and she would refuse. But she would eat fruit or yogurts. Then 3 or 4 hours later when she is hungry she’ll eat mac n cheese or soups etc. With some veggies. Like celery sticks. She eats like a bird. For dinner she’ll eat whatever we have. Don’t give anything to drink before meals. Only after or after kid had something to eat.

1 Like

? Did your child eat baby food? Like starting at 6mos? Because if not, maybe he’s just not use to solid food. Best of Luck.

1 Like

What about mashed potatoes

1 Like

We did led feeding starting at 7 months my kid eats everything

1 Like

My son did great when he was little and then his father introduced him to Ramen Noodles and I didn’t think I would ever get him to eat anything else. So we made a rule no noodles until he tried the veggies, found out he prefers raw to cook and still does at 9.

My 17 month same thing 3 8 oz bottles of toddler formula a a few bites of food each meal thats it…

we have 5 kids 5 and under and they get what they get for dinner, if they don’t want to eat that’s fine, they just don’t get any snacks (the older ones 3+) i always cave with my 1 year old but he eats pretty well

My little cousins are picky and so every meat we give them we call “chicken” and they eat it lol

2 Likes

Picky eater here… As a child all I would eat was chicken nuggets (not the Patty’s, they weren’t the same thing), Ramen Noodles, certain fruits, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Dr told my mom as long as I was t starving, I was fine as I was getting the protein needed from chicken and peanut butter.

Is the baby teething? My kids stopped willingly eating whatever they were given while they were teething… My oldest only had yogurt and soft foods until his first tooth cut. My youngest is currently going through the same motions and only wanting to eat super soft foods with more of a yogurt consistency. My oldest (4) won’t stop eating now but hes still picky with textures. It could be as simple as that maybe the texture is too advanced?

My son, now27, are hotdogs literally every meal for a year…he grew out of it and survived!!!

Its more about her finding her independence than it is rejecting you. At one yr she’s prolly not as hungry as she use to be because she isn’t growing at the same rate as was in the first year. Best thing to do is not make a deal of it with her, let her have choices the best you can by offering 2 or 3 secondary options. If she ain’t having it, don’t raise a fuss about it and sit down to eat your meal. Correct naughty behavior of she tries throwing it or something, but ignore fussing best you can.

My daughter hated everything but chicken. So I lied to her (not proud of that) but I got her to eat other things… I called everything chicken or told her it was baby trees when I made broccoli.

My 2 babies did not like anything. Don’t know how they servived.

My son, isn’t really all that picky. He eat pretty much anything you give him, something’s he won’t eat, mac n cheese… but mostly if we go out as a family, he eats what I eat most of the time, if I had a salad, he wants to eat with me, if I have any kind of fruit, he will take it from me… he likes veggies, raw or cooked. Doesn’t bother him at all… he eats Indian food, soft shell crab. You name it he has probably ate it at least once… I don’t give in to him, if he doesn’t wanna eat I don’t force to eat. When he is hungry enough he will come to me and say eat eat mama.

My son ( who is now three ) wasn’t fully on solids till nearly a year and a half. He was on toddler formula and yogurt. He still a picky eater but it’s getting better. He does have SPD ( sensory processing disorder ) so it triggers eating. Does she self feed or you feed her? If you feed her, maybe she wants to be independent and do it on her own. Either way, give it time, she will get there at her own pace.

Look into sensory processing disorder. My son (now 14) has it and has been a picky eater his whole life. Still is

1 Like

All you can do is keep offering her differant foods. But along with the things that she will eat. Try more finger food for her let her feed herself differant foods. Eat differant foods in front of and with her.

I started giving my toddler (13 months) plastic silverware because she was fighting me to the death to let her feed herself and she plays with it most times because she’s particular about texture

Have you tried giving her silverware that she can experiment with on her own my son started doing this outta the blue and then I gave him the plastic silverware and he just wanted to do it himself.

My son is super picky as well! He is almost 2. He only eats peanut butter sandwiches and chef boyardee chicken and rice. :roll_eyes: super frustrating. He used to love yogurt and eggs and chicken and broccoli and I can’t even get him to eat that anymore.

Picky eater going on 4 years…I’ve tried it all. Came real close to ending up in the hospital so I just give him what he will eat. His doctor said as long as he is staying on his curve he is good. We do vitamins and when I can get him to drink it carnation instant breakfast. Doctor also told us to continue to give him what we ate on his plate along with what he will eat (although I gave up on that when brother started eating food, because he was giving it to brother anyway)

I hated tomato soup, grilled cheese and strawberries as a kid. Mainly are salad and fish as a baby. My daughter was the same way

I just gave up. We still offer a wide variety but my 8 year-old lives on mac and cheese, corn dogs and grape uncrustables. I figure as he gets older his tastebuds will change and he’ll start branching out more. Pick your battles and as long as he is fed it will be ok

1 Like

Maybe try a smoothie see if she will drink it

1 Like

My daughter will go to anyone’s house and eat anything’s they make and love it…at home she’s a little pickier but she’s getting so much better !!!

Does she seem interested in what you are eating at all? If you don’t already, try eating with her, put similar things on your plate and if she reaches for your food let her take it. It can take a while for children to get used to different textures and some never do (sensory processing) but making it relaxed, calm and interactive can help. As she gets older and has more understanding you can give her a plate with things she enjoys and two things she doesn’t and let her have the choice of eating one thing and leaving one thing on the plate. I still have a really picky eater who’s 7 and one who is 15…it took 7years to get the 15year old to eat roast potatoes (who doesn’t like those??!:astonished::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) but giving her the choice meant that she would choose to eat one instead of another thing and eventually loves them. Giving choice works a treat when they’re older but for now just keep it as relaxed as you can and tiny portions of everything eg one broccoli floret, four peas, one piece of carrot etc. She may only mash them around but even playing with the food will help her sensory processing of it, feeling textures with hands, smelling it, seeing how it looks in her hands…and then when she eats the thing she does like the taste of the other things will still be on her fingers too :smiley::smiley::smiley: fingers crossed for you and big hugs, you just want them to be healthy aye!! xxx :heart::heart::heart:

Just give her what she’ll eat. Or she’ll eat when she’s hungry. Just leave her plate on the table. Try lunchables, or cheese crackers, or applesauce, or pbj crackers, lunch meat plate, veggie plate, just buy a bunch of random stuff and see what she’ll eat

1 Like

My daughter is 3 and is my picky meat eater loves all fruits and veggies but not really a meat eater and I found that feeding it to her helped her actually eat it and it’s moved on over to most things if she’s not eating very well… I’m assuming it’s from seeing us feed her baby brother and she wants the extra attention

So my son is 10000% against meat unless it is a hot dog or bacon. He also basically thinks any vegetable is the devil. :woman_facepalming:t2:
I have started making bread loaves with puréed veggies mixed in them so he will at least get some of the dang nutrients. And he eats almost a disturbing amount of peanut butter and Greek yogurt for protein. It’s not completely ideal but his pediatrician says he is gaining weight nicely and is perfectly healthy so I try not to stress too much.
I know it’s worrisome and let’s be honest, completely obnoxious when your child refuses every single meal but don’t be too hard on yourself. Kids won’t starve themselves. They just like to see us suffer a little. They are adorable, sweet, loving little aholes. Try googling/pintresting picky eater recipes. Those may help.

When my kids were little (I’m a grandma now) my oldest ate eggs with cheese 3 times a day for 2 months! My youngest would only eat meat as long as I told him it was chicken. They weren’t big veggie eaters so when I made things I would puree veggies and mix it in with what I was cooking. Maybe watch how much they are drinking before they eat. If they fill up on fluids they wont be as hunger. I always sat and ate with my kids and dinner we ate as a family, no TV or phone calls during dinner. Of course things are different with cell phones now. Good luck and dont get discouraged I’m sure your doing your best. Blessings

My kid will be 3 in April and she still doesn’t eat well. My dr told me something that finally made me feel a little better. Don’t look at what she’s eating as a day by day thing, look at it more by like the week. So instead of worrying everyday that she never ate enough or it wasn’t balanced enough, I just try to feed her well throughout the week. Make she throughout the week she has a few bites of veggies, fruits, some meats, cheese, yogurt and some carbs. I used to really stress about this whole thing but I don’t too much anymore. Our dr said that some kids are just like this and a few small bites is all they need. 1 more thing, I have noticed that when I cut some liquids out of her day that she will usually eat better with her food. I know they have you on the formula because she doesn’t eat much but also being on the formula can be the reason she won’t eat much, so it’s tricky.

A child will not starve as long as there is food available.