Pain while breastfeeding?

I just started getting my 3 day old to lacth and i cannot handle the nipple pain associated with her latching…how can i make this less painful? am i doing it all wrong?

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Pain while breastfeeding?

Yes it Hurt like hell for the first 4 weeks and then it becomes bearable (not toe curling and me bawling for every latch):persevere::persevere::persevere: - it was the same for all 3 of my boys :sweat::sweat::sweat: - lanolin cream definitely eased the cracks a little - and my nipples scabbed and bled with all 3.

• I’ve been led to believe that fair hair/fair skin / fair areolas- may be a reason why some will tell you “it shouldn’t or won’t hurt” - I have a high pain tolerance but breast feeding was “Next Level” :sweat::sweat::sweat:

You’ve got this :muscle::muscle::muscle: but in the end - Fed is best :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

She may not be latching properly. My second baby is 2 days old. Both my daughters have a lip tie. Look into tongue and lip tie. I didn’t know it effected breastfeeding with my first and It caused me to pump and bottle feed. This time my daughter does well on the breast but she is not latching properly and I’m not kidding when I say it feels like my nipples are falling off. Ice packs, lanolin cream, constantly squeeze breastmilk and rub that on the nip, give your nips a brake as long as baby will let you, call lactation consultants and/or pediatrician asap to find out any useful info and mention tongue/lip tie. No one told me any of this my first time around and I used every resource I knew of before giving up breastfeeding my first. Good luck :heart:

I used a LOT of lanolin cream when my oldest was breastfeeding. I think it took about a month or 2 to get used to the pain. Then it was more a relief bc my boos (she’s 3 and still calls them that) were so full I would almost run to get her so she could help her mama out :sweat_smile:

I’m going to add she was latched properly but it was raw and It still hurt. Not the suction itself just from her being on them round the clock. Adjustment does take time.

The first 5 days are toe curlingly painful! Push through it and use plenty of nipple cream! It does get easier! I’m ten months in now but still remember the pain in the first few days!!

If it continues try a nipple shield.

1 Like

Look up the Thompson method!

Have her doctor check for a lip tongue tie. Try the football hold. Or you could follow the page Extended Breastfeeding Support . They help a lot of people out.

Yes. It shouldn’t hurt if her latch is right. Ask a nurse to help you out. My fave technique was nipple to nose. Let her tilt her head slightly to open her mouth and post you nipple into her mouth.

1 Like