Perfect bedtime for a toddler?

What is the perfect bed time for a toddler? my sister says I put my kids to bed too early and judges me for it…but I lay them down at 6 pm…I just need me time

22 Likes

I think 7pm is a fair time. I’m a mum of 4. My routine has always been dinner at 5-5.30, pjs, tv time. I lower all lighting and turn the tv town so keep the environment less stimulating and then 7pm is bed. Now my twins are older it’s bed at 7pm tv/reading until 8 then lights out. I don’t change the routine on weekends or school holidays I’m mean and it stays the same

2 Likes

My 4 year old, gets relax time (brushing teeth, pjs, a book, a movie) around 715-730pm and she falls asleep anytime after that depending on her energy level. On weekend we usually let her stay up a little later because her dad is home and we do things (outings, errands, gatherings with friends/family)

1 Like

My 3.5yo is asleep by 6:30pm most nights. Some nights he’s asleep at 6 or even before. If he naps he won’t fall asleep until about 9/10, so we try to avoid naps.
He sleeps 12 hours.
My 7yo is typically asleep by 7/730, honestly he will even fall asleep before 7.

Whatever works for you and your toddler! Early bed times give me peace and I am a better mom!

2 Likes

6&7 year old 7:30 school days, weekends and holidays sometimes movie night goes until 8 but in pjs and lying down with blankets. So 6 for a toddler seems reasonable. Children benefit from routine sleeping patterns.

well my 2 almost 3 year old used to go to bed at 7:30 but also got a great nap every day and would wake up at 8 . now he refuses to nap wakes up hecka early and refuses to go to bed until 8:30/9 . i swear they pick it for us :rofl::sob:

2 Likes

Definitely do what’s best for your child, I put my kids down at 8:00, they usually fall asleep between 8:00-8:30 on good nights.

1 Like

8.30pm works for us shes awake at 7am weekends its 9.30pm so mumma can sleep in next day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

6 is a little early. Do they take naps? What time do they wake in the morning? How many children and how old are they?

1 Like

Just remember as they get older they will need less sleep so you might want to adjust it unless you want to be awake at 4am :joy:

7 Likes

I say do whatever helps you stay the best mom you can be!

1 Like

What ever fits your lifestyle.
If 6pm prevents you from doing things then make it later but if not it’s your schedule.

Whatever time works for you and your family is a good time

1 Like

Whatever time the kid chooses to :joy::joy::joy:

Whatever works for you your lifestyle and family.

11 Likes

My toddlers went to bed at 7pm

1 Like

I put my 1 and 4 year old to bed at 7pm every night and they sleep through till 7am. Sometimes if I’m lucky closer to 8am

2 Likes

Your kids + your rules=happy mom!!! No one but you knows your kids, your tiredness and your day. So unless she hanges out with you 24/7 don’t worry. All kids are DIFFERENT!!!

3 Likes

Honest question … when does everyone have dinner when bed time is so early? We eat at 530 usually and I can never get the kids to bed before 8

4 Likes

The perfect bedtime for a toddler is whatever time works for them and gives them enough sleep. We don’t eat dinner until closer to 6 due to my husbands work schedule and they don’t have to be up early in the morning so my kids all go to bed about 8/830.

Your sister can raise her own kids the way she wants. if you didn’t ask her opinion, she can keep it to herself :grin:

3 Likes

Eh, whatever works for you. We are not morning people in my house. My 2 year old included. She goes to bed about 9-9:30, wakes up about 9-9:30. It just works for us. Don’t let people tell you what to do in your household. If it works it works. :woman_shrugging:t2: we don’t do naps here. She don’t like em, it’s easier to just not do them.

1 Like

Does your kid fall asleep soon after? If yes, then it’s fine. But if your child is laying in their beds for an hour or more, it’s too early.
I knew someone who put the kids to bed super early and they would roll around for 2+ hours because the parent just wanted some quiet/alone time. That’s really selfish and not fair to the kids.

6pm is too early for any kid. 8pm is a good time. Get them up at 7am. You have 11 hours of you time there.

2 Likes

Depends on how early you want or need them to be up in the morning. Toddlers should get around 12 hours of sleep at night and 1-2 hours nap during the daytime. I put my toddler to bed around 830pm-9pm and she wakes up the next morning around 830am-9am. If you’re getting up early for work and getting your toddler out the door early for daycare that is fine to have a 6pm bedtime if that is what works for your family.

you gotta figure it out based on your and your child.
My daughter goes to bed between 930 and 10pm and wakes up at 930-1030am. She naps between 3 and 5
We are night owls and that works best for us.
During the school/daycare week, she goes to bed 830-930 and wakes up at 730am for school.

1 Like

Bedtime was always 8 until around 3rd grade and I moved it to 9. Then in 6th grade it moved to 10 and stayed there

3 Likes

We have dinner btwn 5:30/6 so lol … I do bath time after dinner, brush teeth and let them watch a show they like to wind down and btwn 8ish they’re ready to go lay in bed and go to sleep. I stay up a couple hours later to have time to straighten up house and still have me time.

1 Like

Depends on your family. Our son goes to bed at 9 and is usually asleep by 10. He wakes up at 8 for school. We are night owls and stay up til midnight so gives us a good 3 hours or so for us time. We both wake up around 8.

Quarentine life i had my boys then 4 and 1 on the BEST schedual and thats when we had the easiest time at bedtime i fought so hard at bedtime with my oldest untill i finally took the advice on earlier bedtime i though that makes no sence he doesnt want to sleep how will earlier bedtime help but it worked ! My mind was blown we did 630 ipad time then bath at 7 both never made it till 730 now being back to real world school and work eveyday we fell off of the schedual just not enough time between school and bed… i fight for 8/830 my boys are now almost 6 and almost 3 but its honesly more like 9-930 and bed time is back to being a battle… i will just forever remeber the benifit on their moods and even more MINE. I miss early bedtime… so hold on to it and roll with that schedual as long as you can. Those few hours of alone time at end of day made me a better mom the next day.

8 was always my go to even now with a 6 year old in school idk it’s whatever works for y’all family

1 Like

7-730 and she is up at 630-7 for school. I find by 630pm she starts to get cranky and I know she’s tired! Every family is different. You do you!

1 Like

My 3 year must have ADHD or similar. She won’t actually go to sleep until 9:40-10:30, but always awake between 6:30-7:30. She has never slept more than 9hrs other than being a newborn. She didn’t sleep through the night until recently! Sorry I can’t give any advice. I wish I could get her to bed earlier!

That’s pretty early. Your kids need your time also. 8 is a pretty fair time. Try it.

1 Like

My son is nearly 2 He has a morning nap still , then bed time is at 7 he has a full 12 hours

1 Like

Wow that seems early. Mine were in bed about 730/8pm

3 Likes

Im rocking my 2yr old to sleep at 6:45 pm and lay him down by 7pm…he gets up at 6am everyday. And a nap still

1 Like

We did 8/8:30, still do actually and they are 5&4. Then on weekends they can watch a movie while laying in my bed.

1 Like

I put my 2 year daughter down 8:30pm and falls asleep around 9pm,….she sleeps through the night and wakes up at a reasonable time (on school nights). On weekends 9pm and she sleeps in up to 8:30am to 9am. 6 am is early but depends on what makes you happier, do you want them in bed earlier so that you can spend the rest of the evening more you or your spouse,….or put them to bed later and sleep in (hopefully if they sleep in). Either way there’s nothing wrong with that.

To me 6 PM is early, to you its just right. It’s all what works for you and your family.

6 way too early, 8 better!

2 Likes

Btwm 8-8:30 was always bedtime for my kids. Still gave me about 2 to 3 hours of me time.

Yeah that’s like way to early. Lol you do what works for you tho

I put them to sleep at 6-7

1 Like

Your child your rules your decisions…its that easy. It honestly does not matter what your sister thinks.

8 or 8:30 works for my toddlers

1 Like

If they are ready to sleep at 6 go for it. Some children need more sleep than others

My 5 month old and my 2 year old go down at 6-630pm. And my 6 year old goes down at 7-8pm.

1 Like

8pm on school days and 8-9pm on weekends for my 7 years old
My 10 year old goes bed at 10pm on school

1 Like

I think 6 is a bit early, probably 8 would be better

We do 8pm but your kids your rules if you want to do 6pm then do 6pm❤️

1 Like

I put the two 2 year olds down at 7pm… the 3 year old at 8 and the 5 year old at 8:30…

2 Likes

Every kid is different. My son is 3 and goes to bed between 730-8. He doesn’t fall asleep right away usually, but he is happy to just chill by himself. He gets up sometimes to snuggle with me in bed for a bit though. While 6pm does seem early, if it works for you guys, then don’t change it :woman_shrugging:

Depends on what the they get up…
If you put them down at 6pm and expect them to sleep until 8am that is 14 hours of sleep time and is pretty excessive

I put my kid in at 8. Sometimes he goes earlier if he tells me he’s tired. On the weekends I let him stay up til 8:30-9:00 UNLESS he wants to go to bed.

Mine are in bed by 7 most nights.

2 Likes

If 6 works for you then 6 it is. I lay my younger kids down at 730 we do a story and by 8 they are normally out cold

7:30-8 in our house otherwise my son will wake around 3-4 and be up the whole day

So then let your sister do it for a day see what time she does it then judge her see how she likes it

1 Like

Tell your sister 2be a fly on da wall. There’s no problem in a child being put to bed at 6.at they would relax b4 they sleep.my children used 1go 2bed by 7.my daughter either read or listened 2music.had that routine right thru tertiary. By 8 theu were out cold.when they started work.they rourine changed.now my daughter has dat routine 4her babies n it works.Son is similar. Now he works shifts.by wen he’s early shift he’s in his room by 9.sleep .wakes early .on his days of he catch a quick nap

2 Likes