Potty training tips?

Anyone have any tips on potty training a 2 nearly 3 year old? she just doesn’t seem to like going to the toilet to go so she refuses but also doesn’t like sitting in a dirty nappy I’m literally running out of ideas

3 Likes

We just trained my grandson 3, almost 4. We were about to give up. We got a potty he liked and had him sit on it every half hour with a pull up on, for cleanup. He was so stubborn but this worked. He still wont poop on the toilet but stays dry all night and no accidents. Dont ask, do u wanna. Say, lets go potty and let him/her sit as long as wanted. Then after a day, he started going by himself. Good luck

My girl is 3 year 3 months. She knows how to use the potty because she’s done it multiple times she just doesn’t want to. So she goes in her pull up. Everyone says she’s just not ready. But I know it’s super frustrating! We’re just letting her lead. Good luck!

1 Like

Let Em Be nakey lol that’s how my kiddo learned

After 4 kids the best thing that I would suggest is wait till your child is ready don’t force them they know when they’re ready and also when it happens get rid of all the nappies in the house so there’s no going back

I say she just ain’t ready but she getting there enjoy the baby stage while u can I know it’s hard sometimes but she will do it when she is ready and not before rushing it only makes it worse on you and her

Are you trying to get her to use a regular toilet or a kids potty chair? I would try a potty chair if you aren’t or if you haven’t got one, get an insert for the big potty.

We’re still working on things with my son too, so hang in there!

Let her run around naked, if she has a training toilet put it in her view. With my daughter We had ours in the living room, so she could just go pee when she had to, and when we moved all her toys to her room, I would put her toilet in the hallway, next to her room, right outside her door, so she could always see it and go. After about a month of doing that, she decided she didn’t like the training toilet anymore and only wanted to go on the big potty lol

Try no pants or undies for 3 days. Worked for mine.

5 Likes

Personally i wait until they go to the potty on their own. Ive had far less headaches just letting them lead me but i have 6 living 2 angels. My now 3 yr old is actually telling me now she needs to potty and will tinkle so far in the potty. She still goes in a diaper amd i tried underwear here and there. Shes not ready for that. But she used the potty in public today so im proud of her. I dont care if theres mamas that boast they had theirs trained at 2. I dont care. I have 5 Ive potty trained and my first 2 trained together and 2 and 3 and my 3rd at 3 and he was so easy. My younger girls are a bit more stubborn but eventually got it. I dont like cleaning up the messes from no undies. I let them do them and ask if they need to go and praise when they do. If you absolutely must force it you can try the 3 day methods i know these lovely ladies have suggested.

Pretty undies. Rewards like candy or fav snack. Stickers.

1 Like

Ma’am please give them time

1 Like

Don’t force it. She isn’t ready. We have these timeliness in our head of when kids are “supposed” to be trained, and then force kids to potty train when they aren’t ready for it.
Guaranteed she will be trained before going to college, so just relieve yourself of the stress and leave her be for a bit

Put her in panties as it is a way different feel than a pull-up. Put her in the toilet every hour

Keep potty chair in same room as the child. Visual cue and often reminders.

It’s on her, not you. Let her pick out her panties, not pull ups. Put them by her potty chair in a basket. Beside the clean panties put a basin. Tell her if she wets her new panties to put them in the basin and put on another pair and back off and let her do it. If she goes 5 days with no wet pants in the basin let her choose a prize, movie or whatever she likes.

Underpants. Let her pick them, set a timer for every 10 mins and then have her sit for 5 while she watches YouTube videos of potty songs. That’s what I’m doing with my only girl who just turned 3. No accidents today and she peed once on the potty. We literally just started today lol

Don’t put anything on her. I also bought big boy character underwear for my son and I made him feel bad when he peed on the Dinos and Mickey Mouse etc.

She’s not ready don’t force it.

5 Likes

If she isn’t ready, don’t rush her yet! But if she IS showing she’s interested, do the 3 day method! Home fully for 3 days… no diaper… constant potty breaks and explaining how it works… we did a sticker book since my girl LOVES stickers. I had a blank book and every time she went (we call it xi xi, my husband is Portuguese) she would get 2 small stickers every time and however many she wants for poop! She was fully potty trained in those 3 days but I know not every kid is the same. Have patience, and have fun! Remember that accidents are expected and okay!

This worked for my youngest. Got a sticker for pee and a sucker (or face candy) for a number 2 along with the sticker. I also let my kids pick the undies (they have toilet training undies).