Pros and cons of cloth diapers?

Those that have tried washable diapers, what are the pros and cons, and which would you rather use disposable or cloth?

11 Likes

My grandmother and mom used cloth diapers when I was a baby. It didn’t last long. They’re super easy to pee through. I used disposable with my kiddo and rarely ever had any leaks or blow outs.

Pros theyre eco friendly and one time purchase so 175-200 dollars for a good stash of shells, pads/inserts.

Cons laudry

1 Like

I tried to use the cloth diapers with my first child. It lasted a week before I said no more. It’s a lot more work to keep up with the amount of extra laundry and imo so not worth it in the end.

1 Like

I loved cloth diapers!!! They are expensive to start off but very much worth the cost. Easy to wash and fix if there’s issues with elastics and they’re much better for baby’s bottom than plastic chemical laced diapers. Charlie banana has some great designs but I was able to use off brand ones I found on amazon. Be sure to research well before starting so that you don’t overspend. My little one would rash until we switched to cloth diapers. So needless to say I am a big fan if going cloth if you can.

3 Likes

Depends if you want to clean a poopy cloth diaper in the middle of the night. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

With cloth, you’re more likely to change when wet. Even babies don’t like to sit in pee/poop. And old worn diapers make wonderful dust cloths!

Washing shit seems like a pretty big con to me :smirk:

I love cloth diapers, used on both boys

1 Like

We use cloth and love them. Pros, better on babies skin, saves money, it’s super easy , cute prints, better for environment, we’ve never had a blowout in cloth. Cons, wash routine can be tricky to figure out at first, so many options is overwhelming at first, family may be hard to get on board.Overall we haven’t found a lot of cons.

2 Likes

Kriscelle Cubol Harb

1 Like

The new cloth diapers are not at all like the ones they have now are great

I used a whole 3 on my son and said heck no!! I only bought pampers. They feel so soft compared to every other brand but not the cheapest either. Disposable are just super easy and convenient and way less disgusting

They’ve come so far than the ‘old school style’. I suggest joining the cloth diaper wash and care group on Facebook if you want real solid advice when it comes to wash routines. Also ‘cloth diaper chat’ where you can receive great feedback.

Cloth diapers are too time consuming you rinse put in pucket and wash and dry. Disposable diapers on off and garbaged. Choose wisely!!

Used them for my kids (now 28, 20, and 13)

With my eldest, it was terry squares. Not perfect, but much, much cheaper than disposable.

With #2, the shaped cloth nappies had apoeared. Tots Bots were absolutely brilliant, could last my heavy wetter all night with a Tots booster.

By #3 there were many different types. I still had the ones from my older daughter, and I added in some Tots Bots Bamboo.

All 3 used them to pott. My eldest trained at 3, my middle at 17 months, my youngest at 2.5.

Provided you can keep up with the washing, I don’t see cons :woman_shrugging:

Disposable. I don’t want to clean up a diaper after I’ve cleaned the kid up. I’m a CNA. I deal enough with poo.

We used cloth. Five kids. I loved bumgenius and avababy with extra inserts. Cons is washing lol (toilet sprayer and air sun dry helped tremendously) but pros are money saving, designs, eco friendly, and little to no rashes.

My kids are 27 and 29. I used a diaper service and was instructed to just dump the diapers in a pail for pickup without even rinsing. I purchased and washed the outer covers myself. More expensive than washing them myself, but cheaper than disposables.

You can cut cloth diapers into underwear shapes sew two or three together fasten Velcro. Easy peasy.makes cloth diapering much faster.

I used disposables with babies 1 and 2. Tried prefolds and covers with baby 2 for super sensitive skin that reacted to disposables, helped the rashes but leaked and were a pain. Baby 3 has been in cloth from about 2 months, now 20 months. We use Bumgenius Freetimes, and love them!! They go on as quick and easy as a disposable, get a better fit, almost no rashes, very rarely has a blowout (my kids in disposables pooped from knees to shoulders about weekly), only a one time investment, I never have to run out for diapers or worry about outgrowing a size, and it only takes me 2 or 3 extra loads of laundry per week. Get a spraypal and a shower head with the hose, spray solids into the toilet after they start solid food then dump diaper in the pail with the rest. Almost no stink. We bought a full stash of mostly used one size all in one diapers and all the accessories for under $200 and it’s all we’ll need until potty training. Wish I’d known to try the better quality easy ones with my older kids, these work WAY better than any brand of disposables we tried and our cloth has paid for itself several times over already.

I preferred cloth. Pros… the are cheaper (in the long run), it’s less chemicals on the babies skin, there are cute designs. Cons… it’s a little more work (washing, putting together, making sure you carry enough when you go out), you change more often, spraying the poop off of the wipes and diapers after each use, buying certain soap to wash the diapers. I used cloth with both of my boys but only for 6 months each. That’s about the time their dad would start helping (changing) the diaper and we would end up with rashes because he wouldn’t clean their butts well enough. Most times his reason for not changing diapers was because he paid the bills and shouldn’t HAVE to change diapers. :roll_eyes: If you want to try them, I could send you some, I still have my stash… 3 yrs later. :grimacing: I hate to get rid of them… it’s the mothers hoarder instinct. :woman_shrugging:

Loved the cloth over disposable!! Super easy! I wish I would have started using them with my first instead of my last. I would have saved a lot of money!

Used cloth diapers with my first 2 because my daycare was on board. They both potty trained at about 1. My daycare said no to the last one. So we went to all disposable, worst decision ever, she was 2 and a half by the time she trained and the expense was horrible, and they all leaked. I would do cloth again in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

If you do do reusable go with g diapers they have cloth and also biodegradable liners. Had to use them when my son would get really bad rashes, I was totally against reusable thought they were disgusting. But these weren’t bad

2 Likes

Cloth diapers have come a long way from “rubber pants.” I exclusively use cloth diapers and will never go back. They’re cheaper in the long run, they’re cute, and you never have to worry about making a midnight diaper run to the store. There are groups here on Facebook that can help you learn anything you’d want to know.

4 Likes

I used cloth on four children. I admit it wasn’t easy but I thought it was best. I washed in Clorox and cold water then washed a second time on hot with mild detergent then rinsed twice. :joy: used lots of water :sweat_drops:

2 Likes

I have tried cloth and for the life of me can’t figure out how to not get them to leak. I would love to switch to cloth because it’s cheaper and better but I use disposable since I can’t get cloth diapering right

1 Like

I used cloth diapers at home because it was cheaper. When we left home I changed the baby in preparation for an outing and put on a disposable for convenience. With disposables you don’t carry a dirty diaper in the diaper bag, you toss it. At home you can rinse the cloth diapers and put them in the diaper pail.

2 Likes

I used cloth diapers on my daughter because disposable ones gave her a BAD rash. Disposable ones on my second one. Should have use cloth on him too but our water was terrible

1 Like

i LOVE cloth. used disposable with my 1st. 2nd and 3rd was cloth. mine have snaps and removeable inserts. some even have a pocket but i prefer the inserts because you just change the pad and keep using the oitside pants unless they really mess. mine have snug legs with elastic so usable from 5-25 lbs currently using the outside shell with bo pad as training pants on my 2 yr old still has a soft cloth inside but waterproof incase of accidents

1 Like

I cloth diapered all 3 of my kids and I wouldn’t change a thing. I preferred pocket style and all in one style cloth diapers. Plus I was able to use most of my cloth diapers with all 3 kids, I only bought some more for my third since she was a girl. I’d suggest getting some of each type and try them out to see what works best for your family and child.

2 Likes

I’ve used cloth with all 4 of mine, including a set of twins, and I love them. I also use cloth wipes. IMO, Bumgenius are the best. Pros: no diaper rash, cost savings, environmentally friendly, you never run out, cute, potty training comes more naturally, no feelings of needing to prolong a change to “get the most” out of the diaper, then being (mildly) frustrated when your babe poops in a freshie :tired_face:.
Cons: sometimes inconvenient, leaking.
I do use a disposable overnight to avoid leaking. Also, make sure you wash the cloth diapers with just a tiny amount of dye-free, perfume-free detergent. I’ve always used All Free & Clear. Once a month you need to “strip” the diapers. You can find much info online about the specifics of doing so. I highly recommend cloth diapers.

2 Likes

Lazy people, disposable
Not lazy people, cloth.
We couldnt afford disposable. We used cloth at home. Disposable on the go. But if we could have afforded it, we would have been lazy disposable all the time. :laughing::rofl:

Cloth!!!Our youngest daughter got chemical burn from disposable diapers. It was horrible!

1 Like

Birds eye cloth diapers. You can get the already pre -folded to the basic size / shape . Plastic/ rubber pants on the outside . Cute diaper pins for boy or girl . T then just wash and dry in a gentle soap like Ivory or Dreft for babies

My children couldn’t use the disposable diapers broke them out .

2 Likes

I loved cloth but inconvenient when out they didn’t know how to change them at church so o used pampers when going out but I preferred the cloth and she did better no rashes or anything

But it really up to the mother . Disposable diapers are handy but they add up in cost . Cloth you wash / dry you’ve paid for them

We didn’t have a washer when we had our sons. We used a diaper service. LOVED the aroma of the fresh ones. We had a washer when my daughter was born, so hubby washed cloth diapers. I would have preferred the diaper service

I’ve used both…hate cloth when they poop in em so easy to chunk in trash. But I did use em both…

Used cloth exclusively on my first four. Then back and forth between “Kimbies” and cloth for the last one.

Cloth all the way! I had 4 in diapers and I still cloth diapered. I love it! My babies were 3,2,2,2, and 9 months, 2 fosters, 3 adopted. When my fosters went back to parents, they threw fits over being put in disposable.

1 Like

Used cloth diapers with my son at home and disposable when I went out.

Well cloth diapers are cheaper than throw away diapers

My son had constant diaper rash till I switched to cloth. Best decision I ever made. Cottonbabies.com

2 Likes

Whatever works for. You.

Cloth we used a diaper service loved it !!!

Cloth on both my boys loved them

I used a diaper service

Disposable diapers are better I heard mom talk about cloth diapers and how the rubber pants would crack over time washing cloth diapers and hanging them on the close line in the winter and the diapers would freeze I definitely would go with disposable diapers

Cloth diapers are better for the environment but they are such a headache to keep clean. Then there are the diaper covers so they don’t make a mess. I raised two on cloth because disposable had not been invented. Hated it!

1 Like

Cloth!! Whole lot cheaper

1 Like

My mom tried to use them on me as an infant and they gave me a horrible irritation so she had to discontinue. I never thought to even try cloth diapers for my kids.

We used cloth at home and disposables out and about!

I used cloth with my oldest, it was a bit more work but well worth it. The savings was immense. My next I did disposable diapers and they cost a fortune and fill your garbage can, stinky diapers. My oldest was potty trained at a year old my next was two. I think disposables delay potty training.

all mom used on us was cloth diapers there were no disposable diapers back then I remember her washing them had 3 seperate tubs one to soak them in,another she bleached them then she rinsed them as hung them on the line.those lines of white diapers looked so beautiful hanging out there as she used rubber pants too on us.good ole days

Cloth diapers are the best thing ever to have. I had them for my oldest daughter cause she was allergic to the disposable diapers. Yes I was washing every other day but it was worth it in the end. It even helped potty training by time she was 2

1 Like

You do use many more diapers. Often 2 go 3 at a feeding. One before, 1 after and a few times 1 during. LOL Potty training was faster. They didn’t like the feeling of wetness.

Used cloth on both of my boys! Only used disposable if we were traveling. Cloth was so much cheaper

After saying I’m going to use cloth with my other three kids (now 14,11,&7), I ordered a good set for my youngest 8months. I absolutely love them, even if my husband is not a fan. I love the fact, that the diapers will “grow” with my son, and I can use them through potty training. Yes, it is an extra load of laundry, and I usually focus on getting the diapers done more than the rest of the laundry, but I don’t have to worry about remembering if we have more diapers from the store.
I do however, keep disposables on hand because my husband is not a fan of the cloth, as I said before, and he would rather our son go naked, than try the cloth himself.
I do like the ease of disposable, but my son is a very heavy pee-er so the cloth diapers hold more. At 8 months, he still wakes from wet diapers at night about 2-4 times. But a cloth diaper I only change once or twice.
I absolutely love the Mama Koala brand they are on Amazon.

1 Like

Years ago I used cloth diaper service. My baby never had diaper rash and all I ever had to do is shake out the poop into toilet. No rinsing. But most important was that no rash.

less diaper rash and they are more comfortable

Would 100% use cloth again. Did on all 3 of my girls. Made potty training a breeze.

I used cloth diapers for my twins and third baby never ever used Clorox always rinsed them well before washing and always always dried them out on the line …

Im older. I loved cloth diaper. Lots easier on a babies bottom. Much less expensive.

Used both and liked the cloth ones saved money and my child didnt have diaper rash that much

The new disposable actually keep your baby drier

Cloth at home, disposal away from home.