Questions about occupancy laws in Iowa

Could you please post this for me? Question/Advice regarding occupancy laws. We’re a family of 7 living in Iowa, our kids are 4, 3, 2, 2, and 5 months. We recently had to renew our lease on our 3 bedroom apartment and I got a call stating we were above occupancy and would have to vacate. I did look up Iowa’s law and it states that 2 persons per each average sized bedroom, it doesn’t specifically state whether that’s child or adult. I honestly lied to the lady and told her my oldest doesn’t stay with us full time, which she doesn’t, but it is more than half, technically. But now I feel incredibly guilty. I’ve looked for 4 bedrooms the whole time we’ve lived here (3 years) and they’re rarely available in our area and when they are, they’re a good 1-2k above our budget plus utilities. We don’t have any other family and would be homeless without our apartment. Am I wrong for lying? Any advice any of you can offer? We’re currently saving up money and building our credit so we can buy a house in roughly 5 years.

18 Likes

I wouldn’t feel bad at all! You’re doing what you need to do to keep your family housed!

5 Likes

Usually it is 2 per bedroom plus 1.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc%3Fid%3DDOC_35681.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjvkeKFvJPqAhUECKwKHcsrDQQQFjAPegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1h-xSk3rOEv8jeIYW3VEUr

2 Likes

No hun don’t feel bad, u r doing what u need to do to keep u n ur family happy and homed. I would of done the same as u if I was in ur shoes. Best wishes for u n ur family.:heart:

1 Like

Don’t feel bad at all. Do what you gotta do mama

Look up Iowa House File 134

Per hud is 2 per room plus one in a common living space

Tbh cause ur kids r so close in age u can put the 3 and 4 yr old in one room and the twins in one room and the 5 month old with u fir the moment. Bunk beds r a life saver in situations like that

2 Likes

Sometimes complexes like that have their own occupancy rules that can be more strict than state laws and you agree to follow those rules when signing the lease. Also, they can count the oldest child as an occupant whether you have them full time or not. You can attempt to appeal the decision in court or to a supervisor of the management company (if there is one) since they knew about all of you from the begining and rented to you anyway.
Hope things work out.

1 Like

You are legally over occupancy. The law does state 2 per bedroom. That includes adults and children alike. In order to be compliant with occupancy laws, you would have to get a 4 bedroom.

I can understand why you would lie, but you are risking losing your housing. Your landlord could very possibly find out your oldest lives with you more than half the time. This would be grounds for eviction which would make it harder to find housing in the future since some landlords don’t rent to tenants with evictions.

3 Likes

I never in my life heard of an occupancy law…

They can evict you Just so you are ok with that when they catch you

2 Likes

Better make that buying a house earlier than 5 tests. You’re breaking a law that they can evict you for. You might be able to find a house that’s a 3 bed

1 Like

As moms we do what is necessary to take care of our children. I’m not going to sit here and say lying is right but I’d tell people the sky is green till I’m blue in the face if that’s what I needed to do to keep my kids happy, healthy and safe :woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

19 Likes

Usually 2 to a room including the living room.

And for house purchase strategies look into Dave Ramsey.

I live in MN have 3 kids living in a two bedroom plus me and hubby. We tried looking into a three bedroom even tried buying houses ( no luck yet) the thing is my landlord said " as long as you pay your rent and our decent renters, I don’t care if u have twenty kids" the thing is it’s almost impossible to find a place with enough space when everyone seems to be looking also plus the cost of living. I’m paying 1073 for a small apt in rural MN

I live in Iowa. We were told when renting, per state law, one child per room.

You are doing a disservice to both your family your landlord and the community where u live. Rules are rules. Your landlord can be fined for over occupancy by the county or city. Teaching your children it is okay to lie because it benefits you is just wrong. If you at house your children properly don’t have them. How simple is that. Yes I’m a mother and I provide for my family legally without jeopardizing other peoples jobs and property. I know this sounds harsh but I am a property manager who sees this crap all the time and it gets old

2 Likes

What are you gonna do when your youngest is older? Apartment bedrooms aren’t big and that’s a lot of children to fit into a 3 bedroom.

Living rooms can count as bedrooms now. I was on section 8 and amazed they considered the living room a bedroom. Also, they wouldn’t let me upgrade a bedroom until my youngest was 5 years. So I think you’re good, especially since you have 5 under 5 years. I don’t understand how you’re being harassed by this. When I was in foster care one of the foster homes I visited had 3 bunk beds in a room for just the girls room. At the time they only had their own 2 daughters and 2 foster daughters and they had a son in a 3 bedroom house. So 4 teenage girls in a room with 3 bunk beds. 1 son (bio) and the 2 parents. In a three bedroom. Now maybe you live someone where they have their own rules in your lease, but as a whole in Iowa you should be fine in my opinion.

Start looking for a house. You’ll get a break first time home buyers. Do what you have to do for now but just know you can be evicted.

1 Like

Wow idk how you do it with 5 kids in an apartment. I lived in a 2 bedroom with my 3 yr old for 3.5 yrs and by the time she turned 5 she was sick of it. Not very roomy compared to a house but I did what I had to. Which I’m sure you are as well. However those kids are going to be miserable in that apartment pretty soon. They need way more room. I can’t afford a home now and my finances are strict but I’ll be DAMNED if I have another kid. Get on some birth control or get it together for all your sakes

You can have 7 because of the living room here.

If I were you I’d look for a house, lots of city’s have down payment grants for first time home buyers, also your local bank will have other similar programs.

Do what u gotta do. People so quick to pass judgement. Then one person said why have so many kids if you don’t have the space. Stfu. Sometimes people do not get pregnant on purpose. It’s not easy getting into bigger home. How many people with 10 plus kids live in a 6 bedroom apt or house. Carry on. Don’t feel bad for lying. Shit happens :woman_shrugging:

Also take a look at your lease

In N.C. it’s 2 heartbeats per room they did the same thing to us when I got pregnant we had to move. When I was in md it was 2 per room plus 1 they said someone could use the living room or dining room as a bedroom

It means 2 people per room, period. If you have an adult with a child, then you count as 2 and only need 1 bedroom.
I don’t particularly agree with this as many with a lot of kids simply cant afford a bigger place. I was in this situation in SC, and the landlord was nice enough to work with me, and it helped that my son stayed in Florida during the summers. I would just try talking to the landlord and hope they’ll work with you. If not, good luck. I know it’s tough and doesnt make any sense.

Well you are above the occupancy by one but if theres children the same sex sharing a room together i dont see the issue with what you did sometimes you gotta break the rules to keep your family safe

1 Like

Cob 19 wouldn’t cover this it’s over crowded and the law has 2 put children first 2 make sure they r not living in over crowded properties I work 4 a housing

check into covid 19 laws right now I don’t think they can evict you through september.

2 Likes

I am not surprised that You and a many others have done this. Take note: Nothing is written in stone (except the Commandments). You have little :baby: and you don’t pose a threat to them nor to others, and they should not be treated as such.

Yes and no.i would think most ppl would lie.I dont care to but when it comes to your kids you will di anything.Youll are paying more for a apt than ppl here in Houston does .You can get a 4 at time 5 bed 2.5 bath for 1400.00 .

Fuck the government. Do what’s right for you and yours. They have no right to interfere as long as noone in your household or outside your household is being harmed.

Build a sturdy wall leaving at least 1/4 inch crack so it is removeable and not really attached to landlord’s wall’s. Brace in the backside onto headboard / crib on both sides of room. Put up a door on crib side and now you have 4 bedrooms. Look up what is the smallest area Iowa calls a room. May have to use living room area. Been there, done that. Hope you are able to figure something out.

3 Likes

This is what I found: b. A city shall not, after January 1, 2018, adopt or enforce any regulation or restriction related to the occupancy of residential rental property that is based upon the existence of familial or non familial relationships between the occupants of such rental property.

1 Like

Don’t feel guilty. Your paying rent. Your taking care of your children. Look for programs for first time home buyers. They can help you.

2 Likes

Many years ago I lived in Texas - single mom with boys ages 2 and 7. I was refused a two bedroom because they required each child to have their own room even if same sex. I wound up finding a one bedroom from a private party and we were fine.

We are now landlords ourselves and have a family with three kids in a two bedroom. They are excellent tenants. This is in California.

I hope you find something suitable and a more me understanding landlord.

First time buyer deals are great if you can do that it would solve a lot if problems.

1 Like

I JUST CHECKED LAW HERE IN IOWA… What are renters rights in Iowa?

Are children considered occupants?
A child is considered anyone under the age of 18 in the United States. A child is not a tenant and is considered an occupant until they reach the age of 18. A child occupant may be listed on the lease as an occupant under 18 years old but should not have to sign anything nor be listed as a tenant on the lease. >Jul 20, 2018

Gosh I have no idea of Iowa laws- goodluck to you and your family

Wow! Glad your goal is to save & buy your own home. If your oldest doesn’t always stay there, you’re ok. Good luck.

What genders are the kids? We have 5 boys. We only had a 2 bedroom home. Of course we owned ours but still. Our oldest set up his room in the unfinished basement and the other 4 we had 2 sets of bunk beds in the bed room. That way they all had their own beds. I would have lied also. The baby can be in your room up until age 2 I think.

An employee is hired to serve all customers… regardless of their religion or political preference…

I’m so sorry. I’ll share this. Maybe my Iowa friend will be able to help.

1 Like

Look for rent to own programs they get you in adequate homes immediately

1 Like

You’re not wrong.Its actually none of their business!

Another idea. Spilt room height wise. Build a subfloor 4 feet off floor. Add stairs to top and a half door. Make a upstairs bed room putting bed on other end from stairs. They will already have the light but may have to move switch or just have a lamp. Other child has bottom bedroom with a half door. She loved it with a lamp. Really good if you have kids of different sexes.

1 Like

Praying for y’all! :latin_cross::purple_heart:

I dont blame you I would have done it to

“Let it go”. “Let it go”. “Let it go”. :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

You are making sure your kids have a home… never feel bad about that. A little white lie isn’t hurting anyone. They don’t need to know the whole truth. Save your money and get your own house. Until then pay your rent and keep your kids safe. Others don’t need to know the whole truth regarding your life.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://publications.iowa.gov/13704/1/FairHousingforFamilies_July08.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjFuqfBx5PqAhWiHzQIHWHgD0wQFjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw19_TjKdpY5Y6nMkNgS7I4S

This is the Iowa fair housing. It does state only 2 persons (no matter what age) per room.

Let’s see, a 3 bedroom.
4 and 3 yr olds, share
The Twins, share
5 mon old with Mom n Dad.
Nothing wrong there.
Most states won’t require separating opposite sex children until they are at least 5.

1 Like