Questions about weight loss surgery

I am really wanting to have weight loss surgery…i am 5"8 and 259lbs and my doctor says i am not “big enough” how does this even make sense? are all doctors like this? should I stop looking for someone to help me?

19 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Questions about weight loss surgery

I’m 4’8 and 150 lbs so my weight really shows on me my question is why would you want to put your body throw surgery if the Dr’s say you don’t need it

4 Likes

Some Dr’s won’t do it if you aren’t severly overweight.
You can always try a second opinion but maybe start with a nutritionist and relearn a relationship with food.
Having gastro surgery isn’t a quick fix or a permanent one. You still have to change how you eat, stay active, etc.
I have family who have had this done and they had to have a whole lifestyle that supported the surgery. :black_heart:
No matter what path you take, you can do it. One day it a time. :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m 5’9" and was about 260 when I started the process. My Dr asked me to gain weight prior to proceeding so that I could lose weight during the dedication period. You have to do a 6 month weight loss plan to prove you can lose weight & stay dedicated. Then at the end of that dedication plan they’ll either approve or deny. I was able to gain the weight during quarantine & the had the surgery in June 2021. It’s not an easy process but tell your Dr all you need from them is a referral as they’re not the surgeon. In the end it’s the sugeons call.

P.s. it sounds like you need a new pcp. Mine backs me on all healthy decisions I make.

DONT DO IT! GO TO A GYM, WORK OUT ON THE WEIGHT MACHINES , MUSCLE BURNS FAT FASTER…and shapes your body do cardio too. I once was big enough for the surgery but never even considered it.

1 Like

My biggest worry is, when I do start losing the weight (34wks preggers right now) how gross I’ll look with all the loose and hanging skin. How do you get a doctor to authorize getting rid of all that? Can you claim that somehow for insurance? If I put in all the time and effort and money into losing the weight, and then I look like a fermented blob… I really don’t think I could handle that emotionally.

As far as the dr for you, I’d get a new dr

That’s not heavy enough for the surgery. Have you tried to eat healthy? Try keto for a month you will be surprised how fast you will drop the weight

6 Likes

The people I’ve known who had it done were desperate, and although they lost some weight they said the side-effects were brutal.
It includes stuff like reflux, especially if they eat foods in the wrong order. They had to cut portions back to nothing and eat more frequently.

They had the surgery to get down to where you are; you’re still small enough that diet and exercise changes can get you there without major removal of a large portion of a vital organ…

6 Likes

For anyone that thinks gastric bypass is the way to go think again. Many women have gotten really sick after surgery. Your body is not working probably and does not utilize minerals and vitamins like it did before. Health issues arise. Some people develop abscess after surgery. Some have problems with blood clots. You need to take very small portions of certain food after surgery. Be careful not to stretch your stomach out again or you will get bigger than before. Best is just exercise and eat small portions at a time. A have seen a couple of women die from complications from the surgery.

3 Likes

It takes a lot for a doctor to consider bariatric surgery. It’s dangerous and the diet before and especially after is incredibly expensive. Some people end up not being able to eat much of anything at all, and some people find that their stomach will stretch a bit and they’ll gain a lot back. Was going to have the surgery, but they told me with my financial limitations, I would probably not be able to stay on the diet and might not survive. So. I dieted for awhile. Lost 70 pounds, but when I lost my food stamps I had to cut back on what I bought for groceries. The old saying kicked in… carbs are cheap. And I gained a lot of it back.
I’m resigned to being a big girl.

You arent big enough and weight loss surgery isn’t a quick fix. Unless there is a reason you can’t exercise, weightloss surgery won’t do anything for you. Diet and exercise will

8 Likes

It goes of your BMI, you have to go 6 months seeing doc/dietitian while lossing/show you are trying to loss then they decide if you can have surgery… most insurance companies won’t pay for it unless your BMI shows that you are morbidly obese… don’t take the next part of this rude but your height and weight would only make your BMI register as obese which is probably why your doctor told you that you weren’t big enough

I had a dr tell me to have gastric bypass surgery…I told him that I was not 100 pounds or more overweight (part of requirements)
I have watched many others (some family) that did have this surgery.
My Niece almost died!
She ate and vomited for almost 2 yrs before they fully checked what the problem was.
Her insides were twisted!!!
Many that have this surgery become Anemic for life! This is because the part of the stomach that is removed is the area that would absorb the Iron. So Iron Transfusions for the rest of a person’s life!

5 Likes

Just follow the diet of small porportions control. 3 a day and veggies and fruits. and no sweets and low cal bread and fruits.Lots of water , No soda That’s the diet they give you anyways for the weight loss surgery

The surgery does Not Cure the cravings and wanting to eat.

3 Likes

You are not that big to warrant surgery,
Join a gym and eat healthy.
I know it’s hard to lose weight but I think doing it the natural way is better.Good luck !

1 Like

I beg you to please reconsider. You can end up with lifelong complications even if it goes well. You can end up permanently vitamin deficient, you can end up with dumping syndrome which is terrible and makes it hard to control your blood sugar, you can end up vomiting every time you eat for a long time, the negatives outweigh the positive. I had my gallbladder removed and I ended up with lifelong problems that a lot of people have from gastric bypass or stomach surgeries and I had no choice in getting my gallbladder out because it was compromising my liver. But if I could go back I would have rather done anything else. After learning that the complications I experience are similar to watch weight loss surgery patience can end up with, I totally understand why many doctors won’t approve it unless it is absolute last resort. It will be hard to lose weight but you can do it. The doctor is right you are not big enough. I promise you will not want these kinds of problems. You are totally strong enough to do it the natural way :heartpulse:

1 Like

Seek another doctor.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend it either. Ask the ladies that have had it about THE HAIR LOSS that comes with it. My hubby is 5 years out… still vomits frequently! If you’re hell bent on it, research the band.

1 Like

It’s always best to get a second, or even third, opinion when making life altering medical decisions. I would say that if other doctors give similar advice then listen to your PCP. However, I have known quite a few people who have received weight loss surgery and it ultimately did not work. There is so much more to it than just simply not over-eating. It truly is a psychological process that requires dedication and a ton of self-reflection. Not saying it doesn’t work but it breaks my heart when people think that the surgery is the end all be all and it’s honestly the first and often easiest step in the journey.

4 Likes

If you feel you need medical help to lose the weight there are medications such as phentermine you could ask your doctor about that aid in weight loss. I wouldn’t jump straight into surgery, its a massively invasive surgery and will fail unless you put in the work, eating properly which means a lot of small amounts of food focused around protein, working out etc. I know several people who had it done and within 5 years were back to pre-surgery weight or more. All it really does at the end of the day is reduce the amount of food you need to feel full. Start reducing your own portions, if you normally eat a big bowl of cereal cut it down to half of what you’d normally eat then drink water, or add a protein like boiled eggs. If actual exercise is difficult (which you would need to do with surgery anyway) start with walking. See if your doctor will prescribe a med that will aid in the weight loss.

6 Likes

Here’s something people don’t realize though. You have to lose weight before getting gastric bypass. You have to prove you can stick to the small diet after the surgery, otherwise it would be for nothing. If there’s other issues like food addiction, I’d suggest getting mental help first. This is a life long commitment and the furthest thing from a quick fix.

6 Likes

Id suggest dieting first because they would make you before the surgery anyway, to ensure that you’ll be able to follow the strict eating restrictions after the surgery. No more carbonation, no drinks during food, you need to eat less more often…
You can also talk to your doctor about other solutions… thyroid issues can cause weight problems, stress can as well, and thats only a couple… maybe see if there isn’t something else you could manage that’ll in turn help with weight
I think jumping to surgery is quite extreme, I know a few people that have had that surgery but they got it because it was their last option and had to be done for their health.

3 Likes

2 w.l. surgeries… including an emergency stomach surgery to remove my lapband that literally had the port come out of my skin, im a 2% this happens to… and I still struggle with mental food issues. Eating disorders for over 20 years. Weight loss surgery does not fix anything, it just gives you the tool to lose weight. My weight still fluctuates, but it’s more controlled now.
If I could do it again, I’d focus on therapy more, and attempt to love myself more, and not worry about what others think of me so much.
I could of died from the lapband, now I’m sleeved, with minimal issues, but it didn’t fix my eating disorder.

4 Likes

Find someone else for sure.

Weight isn’t the only thing that warrants surgery. There must be other health issues caused by the weight to get most doctors to agree to the surgery. Had mine 15 years ago. It’s not a quick fix. It’s a complete life style change. There are also mental and emotional hurdles that go along with it.

1 Like

Do it with diet every one I know that has had it regretted it

3 Likes

I did a fasting plan with my Dr I was 260 I did my first 8 to 12 hr fasting drinking plenty of water and watching calories I would put the recommended calories 2000 or less in my body do exercise walking mainly I was losing 5lbs amonth I then moved to a 12 to 16 hr fast still doing the same if u really want this u have to be consistent I’m now 154 I couldn’t be happier with my results cut back on sugar, starch change ur diet completely ik stuff is expensive but start light u’ll get the hang of it good luck

1 Like

I was 5’4 and 240lbs. You’re not that big😔I’m sorry but your doctor isn’t wrong

5 Likes

You need to research everything that surgery really means for you. My husband was going to have it and we went to an informational class and a support group meeting for those who have already had it before he decided. After learning everything, he decided against it. The grass is not always greener!

1 Like

I had GSV surgery in 2018. I was 5’3” and nearly 300lbs. Is this your PCP saying you’re not big enough or is this the bariatric surgeon saying you’re not big enough? There are multiple providers who do WLS. Your weight isn’t the only thing that is taken into account for this kind of surgery. If you’re not happy with the provider you’re seeing, try elsewhere.

U have to change ur eating habits and exercise habits before the surgery or it completely pointless I’d be willing to bet if u changed ur eating habits and exercise that u would lose the extra weight ur not morbidly obese a healthy weight for someone ur size is 170 with a BMI of 25 or less…ur not that far off change ur eating habits I dont mean diet I mean change to a healthier lifestyle not easy but worth it in the longer run and no invasive surgeries

4 Likes

My sister had it done at 16 as apart of a clinic trial for teenagers.
She had underlying health conditions though. PCOS, spinal bifida with a tethered cord, borderline diabetes, and high BP.
The first two made it hard as hell for a depressed 16 year old to loose weight and the last two were a results of being over weight.
She was over 300lbs and is 5’4ish

Shes 25 now and still struggles with hair loss, dumping syndrome if she eats certain things, random excessive vomiting. She also almost died afterwards from internal bleeding.

She also gained a lot back at one point and had to bust her ass to get it off.
Her weight still fluctuates if she doesn’t watch what she eats and doesn’t stay active.

I wouldn’t recommend it! Not unless it’s absolutely needed. I’m 5’8 and 260. I’m big, yes. But I also know I can loose it on my own. At one point I was over 300 and got down to under 230.
It’s doable with eating management and even just light exercise.

It’s not an overnight thing, it takes time. You got this!
I’m getting ready to kick myself in the ass to loose weight again. But it’s a process

1 Like

It’s calculated by BMI (Body Mass Index.) You have to be 100+ lbs overweight for your height.

I’m 5’10 highest weight was 380 and stuck at 250 now been this way awhile almost 2 years out do I regret it no but the hair loss is no joke and my teeth have went to crap as well from the acid reflux

Until you find a doc to help you, research diet and exercise, specifically strength training. I also have to say, for your height, I dont think anyone is going to approve you for weight loss surgery.
Diet and exercise. Which you would need to do even If you got the surgery.

1 Like

You wont find anyone willing to do it in the states, if that’s where you are.

If you have no health issues your BMI has to be 40 or more. No doctor will do it.

If you really want to lose weight just put the fork down eat small meals and you won’t need surgery no junk food fruit and vegetables lots of salad you will do great good luck!

4 Likes

I believe it goes by BMI in order for insurance to cover it. You must also demonstrate that you couldn’t lose by other methods-WW- or others. Nevertheless, this is not a manic bullet. People lose quickly in the beginning but in order to maintain it, eating habits need to drastically change. Also, costly vitamins will need to be taken forever as you absorption is no longer the same.

1 Like

Ask your doctor to put you on Ozempic, this will help you immensely.

I had bypass a little over a year.
It’s not an easy fix.
Your BMI has to be a certain amount usually 38 with additional health complications or over 40 with no health issues related to the weight.
Sometimes you can find a doctor that will do a self pay with patients with a lower BMI but it’s expensive.
But again it’s not easy street before or after surgery.

Cut some carbs and the weight will come off. Write down what you are eating daily for 3 days and calculate your carbs, then cut them in half and drink lots of water.

I would def get a second opinion and if you dont qualify ask as to why. And ask what else u can do/go/take… surgery isn’t always the answer but u got this!!!

I’d contact your insurance company to see if they cover it, who they recommend (my insurance only covered certain doctors) and then go that route. If they don’t cover it then look into saving the money and going to Mexico.

1 Like

Don’t let anyone here tell you that you won’t get approved based on current height and weight. I got approved at 230 lbs 5’7”. You just have to find the right doctor that will help with getting insurance to cover it.

For that hight you are NOT that morbidly obese. INCREASE YOUR EXERCISE CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS AND HAVE YOUR DOCTOR PUT YOU IN AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT

4 Likes

I had weight loss surgery 7 years ago…
Best desicion i ever made…
Very small portions in the begining…but it changes over time…
Be mindful.join a gym.eat healthy

1 Like

Get a different doctor. Do you have underlining health issues? That qualifies you

You qualify. I’m 5 ft 4 and was 260. I had it and it was covered by insurance. However I don’t recommend it. I almost died. I couldn’t eat or drink anything for an entire year, nothing would stay down. I had feeding tubes, picc lines, mid lines, a central line, got septic, had to have my gallbladder removed, went blind from low B1, got blood clots. Lost 140 lbs but by the end of it all I couldn’t get up to walk to the bathroom by myself.

6 Likes

Do you have sleep apnea at all?
Or anything else, like high blood pressure or anything otherwise you need two symptoms/problems or a bmi of +40. I had the sleeve in March of 2021 it was a year process. And things depend on what insurance you have too so.

You can always find a doctor willing to do unnecessary surgery. Keep asking around- there are unscrupulous and recklessly irresponsible people in every profession. It’s all about finding the one who meets your standards and is willing to risk their license to take your money.
Best of luck!

4 Likes

I am 5’8” and was 275 when I had surgery. Goal weight was 165 and I did get there. Do you have any other medical issues…sleep apnea, diabetes etc?
I would see another dr for a 2nd opinion.

Weight loss surgery isn’t all that great. It may be a godsend for some but at the same time your body is forever put into a constant state of malnutrition afterwards. There is a condition called dumping syndrome that comes along with it. It’s what caused you to loose weight.

I am 5’9 and was 218 pounds. I’m now 175 AND 4 months pregnant. I started a very loose keto diet 2 years ago and lost the weight. Also as the weight came off it became easier and more comfortable to be more active and exercise as I had knee problems from my height and weight.

They wollnt do the surgery for you because your BMI is not high enough to be considered “morbid”. It’s ok though, you can take control of your life and do this. If not seek another opinion.

4 Likes

My Husband had this surgery & everything that could go wrong did go wrong he nearly died he was in the hospital for 9 mo

3 Likes

So everything in your power to lose weight on your own. We have to do it after surgery too so in reality it’s all just a big change in our lifestyle and diet. I had weight loss surgery 10 years ago and its been pure struggle

1 Like

That means you can loose weight without surgery. Surgery is dangerous and should be last resort. You tube has a lot of information on how to change your lifestyle to loose weight and get healthy. Surgery is not a quick fix and you have to change your lifestyle anyway witn it so why not look up how to eat whole foods, intermittent fasting, strength training. There are a million small changes you can make over time to bring you closer to happier healthier you. Start by educating yourself on healthy habits and add one at a time to your life. Enjoy the journey of getting healthy and forget surgery, it can create problems you don’t need in your life.

1 Like

I was 5/2 at 250 I had RNY surgery. Mine did not turn out safe. But veryone is different me personally I would hafve not had the surgery OR I would have went to some where else that was doing these exact kind of surgeriees that was top on their game

I’m 5’6 about 250 and I’m no where big enough to qualify for that surgery. My mom is a little shorter then me and bigger then me and also won’t qualify for it. Those kinds of surgerys are for people who are morbidly obese and what your describing is definitely not. I think you may need to talk to your doctor about alternatives like diet and exercise. I don’t think you should stop asking for help but I think you need to look for the right kind of help. Surgery is not the help you need, it’s the help you want and it’s probably unsafe at that weight.

I worked 12 hour days ate one meal a day. Did not have time to stop and eat and drink I stayed away from the sugars, and the fats, carbohydrates etc. I just could not lose the weight. But, wished I would have never had the RNY like the lady above said that surgery is very dangerous. They do not tell you that you will lose your hair, they do not tell you that your teeth start breaking off and chipping off… I had 8 surgeries in 2 months time to repair the damage that was done from having weight loss surgery. 2 months on the vent. I am a survivor of multi organ failure and septic shock. I have lost alot of my insides from bacterial gangrene where the surgeon twisted my intestines during the first surgery went back in a 2nd time to see why I was swelling, and my bp had dropped to a dangerous level, my HR was sky high and i was running fever. He found I had fluid build up around my lungs so he inserted a chest tube supposedly to go into my lung instead it bypassed my lung and pierced my spleen with it. Which set up bacterial gangrene that ate alot of my insides up. Splitting me wide open like a watermelon. Gangrene, fecal material, necrotic material all in my abdomen cavity, pouring out of my like a running faucet where i was ripped open. 3 months in the hospital. the surgeon and hospital telling my family theu cannot promise the next second the next minute that if they believe in GOD to get on their knees and pray because that was the only way I was going to survive. So I will tell you this sugery is very very dangerous. ALot of things happens to you that they do not tell you. We are made exact how GOD wants us to be made (not talking about being overweight.) but when they go inside of you and revise you you are taking on a whole new ball game…

4 Likes

As others have said it is a very dangerous surgery. You are nowhere near the height and weight to qualify for weight loss surgery.

1 Like

They go by BMI, insurance won’t cover it if not big enough. Get a second opinion or try medication

There’s a reason there are protocols for this surgery. It’s life changing and I’m not just talking about weight loss. There can be very serious complications. A friend’s daughter passed away because of hers. Think long and hard about it. Do your research. Make it your last resort. It’s not a cure all for poor eating habits. Have struggled with weight my whole life. Finally realized it was on me to make it happen. No “easy”out. Down 47 with 30 more to go. It’s a battle but worth the fight.

1 Like

While you may be overweight, your weight gain can be controlled by diet and exercise. The surgery is not simple and there can be devastating effects from it. Most Dr’s wont even consider doing the surgery unless you show you have the will power to lose the weight and keep it off and they will give you a goal weight that you need to hit before they’ll consider the surgery. Unless your weight gain is brought on by a medical reason, they will not consider you to be a candidate. If you have an iphone, use the MyFitness Pal and start logging everything you are eating and then just make the minor adjustments that will fit your lifestyle and boost your metabolism. Diets don’t have to be a 4 letter word and there are a lot of different diets that work for a lot of different people. Sometimes, cutting 200-500 calories from your daily intact can jump a weight loss boost. Others found that cutting out processed bread or sugar will also help jumpstart that weight loss journey. There’s so much more that goes into losing weight than just scheduling an appointment with your Dr. Somethings in life you will have to work towards in order to achieve them but you can do it. We all have faith in you.

40 bmi or 35 bmi with comorbidities

Most places go by BMI. Your BMI has to be over I believe 40%.

I have friends that had the surgery but did not change their eating habits and gained it all back plus!!! You can not still eat big meals, sugary alcohol drinks, dessert and not gain it back plus

Find another doctor. He is wrong.

1 Like