School wants to test my child for delays, is it warranted?

My son was kinda the same way. They had to put rice bags on his legs to make him sit to get tested. He is way advanced it was boring to him. At 18 months he knew everything he would learn till kindergarten. He settled in after a bit. He loved going to see his friends. Idk why they aren’t trying to work with him. My sons school would figure out what each child needed.

If your son knows all of that at 3 1/2 he’s not likely delayed- 3 year olds are toddlers- there still babies for fuck sake- 3 years olds are busy that doesn’t mean he’s delayed - he’s exhibiting normal toddler behavior - I would switch schools or pull him out for another year -sounds more like he’s not ready for school-he has the rest of his life to fallow school and job rules- let him be a baby a little while longer

Sounds like he may be bored and need a challenge…? He is 3 y.o and knows his ABC’s?

1 Like

I’d say get him tested just in case and also change preschools. if my 3 yo was in danger and they can’t hold their hand or guide them away then I dont trust them.

1 Like

My son was like that at 3, & he was really smart too. He knew his colors, shapes, alphabet, numbers etc at 2. But he couldn’t sit still. He’s 6 now & still can’t sit still. That’s his biggest challenge. & he has a hard time focusing, so we suspect adhd. He has High functioning autism, sometimes our kids need to be tested for reasons other than a suspected “learning disability” My youngest is 3, he’s NT & goes to a private preschool in a Methodist church, he’s probably the most well behaved kid in the class.

He sounds like a smart kid who is bored. Schools hate smart kids. It’s too much work to keep them challenged. When they’re bored they become “behavior problems”. They have to blame their short comings on the child. It happened to my oldest. They wanted him tested for autism, then it was ADD, then they wanted him tested for undisclosed phycological disorders. The constant being told there’s something wrong with him made him more depressed. He stopped wanting to learn because he associated being smart as a bad thing. Don’t let them test him. You would know if something was wrong.

On the hand I have a child with issues that they won’t test. They admit there’s issues but won’t help him. I guess he’s not enough of an inconvenience to them.

Early intervention is great. That said, if you’re gut is telling you it’s the environment then I would suggest changing directions and putting him in a different preschool. He is 3 years old and he’s still learning. If they’re unable to “support” him then that’s not the place he needs to be. Look at it as a blessing and move on. If you’re concerned about any of this behavior speak to your pediatrician. Don’t stress yourself.

Hands off? What if the kid somehow got outside and ran into the road?? What a stupid policy. I’d have him tested just in case (doesn’t sound like he’s behind though) but I’d still move him!