Should 10-year-olds wear crop tops?

My girl is 8 and I have no problem with her wearing them don’t see the big deal about it to be honest

Your mom is (most likely) from the time when women were supposed to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. This is 2022. Children need to stop being sexualized for what they’re wearing and how they look. I have an 8 year old who HATES pants. She doesn’t care who’s at our house, she just doesn’t wanna wear pants. What if she was at the beach in a two piece baiting suit? No difference.

4 Likes

I wore the half tube tops at that age lol showed more than that​:rofl::rofl:

If she has the right bottoms to go with the crop top there shouldn’t be a problem. The problem should be does it look any good… some people do not have a body type that can pull off a crop top, and some do…. It’s about the way it looks on each person.

My 10 year daughter wears them all the time. When she goes to see her dad he always tells her she shouldn’t be wearing it. But if she’s confident to wear one let her :woman_shrugging:t3:

Your mom needs to stop sexualizing a 10 year olds clothing.

3 Likes

My opinion is that it depends on how it fits. My niece is pretty small so crop tops fit just above her pant line. Im pretty tall so they fit just under my chest area.

I don’t believe they should 15-16 when you she can buy her own clothes whatever.

Growing up I was always raised to leave something to the imagination as I was the 13-15 year old in crop tops sneaking them out from my parents and they were very lenient about my clothing. . Looking back they were so right. You definitely get looked at and judged based on how you dress unfortunately. It’s still a struggle with my reputation many many years later. I had a bad wrap for a while based on my choices of clothing and the ones my parents would occasionally let me wear. So I would say stick with the respect for yourself and your children and let them be kids crop tops are way to old for a 10 year old. Should we be sexualizing no does it happen and do those kids get judged hell yes.

2 Likes

Be the parent. Until your child is 18 years old YOU have final say on what they wear, what they do etc. So if you don’t want her wearing them. Don’t buy them.

1 Like

No . No business wearing a crop top. A child is a child

2 Likes

I say yes! I let my daughter wear what makes her feel comfortable, just the same as I let my son. There’s nothing wrong with a belly button. The more we stop sexualizing kids and their bodies, the better off we will be as a society.

7 Likes

My now 10 year old has been wearing crop tops since she was 7 no big deal

1 Like

If mine where’s one to school and raise there hand for belly or anything else show I have wear tank top underneath she also 10 even if wear around house but nothing terribly short

I think it depends on where she’s wearing it. If she’s outside running around or with friends I think it’s ok… not so much for school or church.

2 Likes

I just want to address the “so who am i to tell her anything…” comment. You’re her mom not her friend, you have every right to tell her what is appropriate to wear and what’s not. Especially at 10

10 Likes

No. I did not even finish reading your post just a very question at the top… nobody should be wearing crop tops until you’re like 15 16 years old! I mean do you want some man to look at your child like a sex symbol when they’re î in a crop top?!?

At home idc what my kid wears. In public, no. But I won’t judge someone who does let their kid. We all parent differently. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My sister got on my case about my daughter wearing shorts that she deemed too short when she was 12. She is now 16 and I don’t always like what she chooses to wear. She is very thin for her height so it is hard to find clothes that fit her that aren’t too short.

1 Like

Make her put a tank top underneath. Everyone wins then.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t allow my daughters to wear a crop top at only 10 but to each their own.

4 Likes

Why not as long as not provocative ,I wasnt aloud skirts above me knees times change it’s not our kids faults theres perks about

2 Likes

The problem is everyone thinking it’s something new when they’re not. They’ve been around since at least the 60’s and worn by all ages. It’s not new it’s just society’s stigma that oh no this is bad. Most kids I’ve seen wear a cami tank under it or high waisted pants so you see what an inch of mid section. You need to tell your mom thank you but she is my child and if she is comfortable with her own body that she will wear it.

4 Likes

I mean in gymnastics we wore the equivalent of a bra starting at 4 years old

1 Like

No way, 1, it looks tacky, same for 2 piece swimming costumes, and 2, I’d be worried about paedos.

3 Likes

You’re the parent. You raise your daughter to feel beautiful and confident in her skin and clothing. With this you’ll also need to prepare her for judgmental people.

5 Likes

You didn’t have a problem with it until your mom said something, so nope. There is nothing wrong with it and I know it’s getting really hot over here. I don’t see how it’s any “worse” than a bathing suit and the last time I checked, a belly button isn’t scandalous lol clothes are not a deciding factor for a creep, it’s really not. She’s ten and it’s hot outside and it’s just the style right now. For a few people that say it’s clothing, I suggest you look up the exhibit “What were you wearing?” I’ll protect my daughters from predators, but I won’t let them think that what they wear makes a difference.

1 Like

Each to own.
I won’t let my 10 year old wear anything that shows her belly. Not even swimmers.
Until she is 15. She will be in rashies and swim shorts of sorts.
Same goes with my son and swim clothes… rashie and shorts.

I don’t care what others think. It’s my parenting and my children.

6 Likes

Actually I agree with your mum she is a bit young although attitudes have changed since l was 10 in 1980 so as long as she plays close to home it’s ok :+1::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Honestly there is absolutely no reason for a 10 year old CHILD to wear an adult piece of clothing. 🤷

9 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it. If it looks cute then why not. It’s just a little bit of belly showing I think it’s okay.

My teen niece wears them, I don’t see an issue. Im a mother of a teen boy myself and I wear them despite any dirty looks i may get I still love crop tops. people can be so judgmental

1 Like

My daughter wears them & shes 7 almost 8. But she’s also in dance and wears just a sports bra & pants to dance 5 days a week.

It’s hard to find shirts nowadays that aren’t crops, even sweaters are crop tops ffs :woman_facepalming:t2: if it’s that much of an issue just get her to wear a tank.

1 Like

Just have her wear a tank top under it .

YOU are her mama. YOU make the choices that suit your beliefs and opinions.
My five year old wears them. People have their opinions on it but I don’t give a shit. My daughter is allowed to express herself via her style in any way she wants. (to an extent of course).

Too young in my personal opinion but do whatever you feel is right, it’s not anyone’s decision but your own :heart:

1 Like

Your the mom its up to you

My 8 year old wears them and lives them! Your her parent!

1 Like

She’s 10 :joy::joy: dress her like a 10 year old… definitely no crop tops.

5 Likes

My daughter wasn’t allowed until 13.

I guess it’s ur choice. I personally wouldn’t allow it. At home is one thing, but not outside. I feel like why are we sexualizing children? They make age appropriate clothes for a 10 yr old that’s super cute but more than that, there are soooo many creepy predators out there. It’s our job to protect them

7 Likes

Its a shirt. Most crop tops cover more skin then a tank top.

3 Likes

I was personally raised very old fashioned to where you’re not supposed to show that much skin especially at 10 years old so I don’t plan on letting my daughter wear them but if you feel safe and comfortable with letting her wear them then thats your decision you’re her mom and you know what’s best for her

2 Likes

Pesos go after children. They often prefer the innocent in both look and age. A bit of tummy isn’t going to make the difference. Teach the children to be strong and to have a voice. Teach them that regardless of what you wear, unwanted touching is wrong. Give them ownership of their bodies. Teach our girls to be strong and advocate for them.

10 Likes

Mine have to wear tank tops under them and they are 11,13. I am trying to teach my girls modesty.

7 Likes

My daughter just turned 11 but she absolutely wore crop tops at 10 her favorite hoodie is a crop top hoodie.

Why are y’all sexualizing these babies and their bodies?
Skin is not sexual unless you look at it and think sexual thoughts. Stop sexualizing people’s children or your own!

12 Likes

So people should not wear crop tops as young kids because boys and creepy men might see them? 1st of all the problem isn’t the clothes or the child. The problem is the creep looking at them and need the help. They need to be held accountable. I’m not going to let anyone control how me or my kids live due to others. Difference in dressing slutty and a child’s crop top. Is a belly button…not boobs. Smh

I’m gonna say no. I don’t think little girls should be dressed like adults.

9 Likes

If society wasn’t so washed up in sexuality like it is, then let her wear it. But considering the society we live in sexualizes EVERYTHING and pedophiles and child trafficking is a HUGE issue right now, I definitely wouldn’t let my kid wear that crap. Honestly, I wouldn’t even wear that sh myself but to each their own. Considering it’s a CHILD you’re talking about though… no.way. If it’s that important for her to wear it though, I’d say around the house is fine.
This is of course my opinion.

6 Likes

I won’t let my 10 yr wear it. But if you don’t have an issue that’s you and your child. I really hate seeing that type of clothes in stores for young ladies. My almost 4 yr wears a 6/6x and I can’t make myself buy that stuff. To much is going on with men preying on children. And it seems society is helping that cause.

3 Likes

Not in our house. Her dad would lose his mind :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I honestly am one of the least conservative people I know, yet it blows my mind, and hurts my heart how many people think it’s cool for children to dress “scantily”. Smh.

9 Likes

My kids can wear whatever they want. Their bodies, their choices. Clothing does not represent self respect, clothing and bellys showing does not make them any more likely to be victims than anyone else.

There’s nothing sexual about skin until we make it that way.

8 Likes

My 7yr old does. But not like “sexy” crop tops lol more like sweatshirts and stuff that are cropped and it barely shows her belly button either. If she wears it to school she has to put a cami on underneath. She’s not trying to be sexy lol she just likes them

1 Like

It’s just a top if you don’t allow her to express herself now she will do it when she’s older she’s 10 and it’s just a belly be different with a really short skirt etc

I wouldn’t allow either of my daughters to wear any such clothing at such a young age .
Predators have already an interest in children I wont add to the allure. It’s a scary world we live in.

6 Likes

Some of y’all sound so ignorant. Do you think that pedophiles go around specifically looking for children in crop tops ?:skull_and_crossbones:. THEY DO NOT CARE WHAT A CHILD IS WEARING STOP SEXUALIZING KIDS.

14 Likes

If inside around you sure. Not outside. Let her enjoy being a kid. Sometimes clothes make us feel some type of way.

2 Likes

Tell my kids that they can wear what they want.

If it was my daughter I wouldn’t allow it. My daughter can show off her tummy etc when she is 18. Until then…nope.

5 Likes

I’m an adult and wear a tank under my crop top Hoodia. Bc I feel exposed and don’t want ppl staring. I wouldn’t allow my 9 year old or 10 yr old wear one

1 Like

Geez next people will be saying kids shouldn’t wear a two piece swimsuit at the beach :woman_facepalming:t2:
It is only sexualised if you think and make it that way! The judgemental world we live in today I feel so sad for kids growing up in :pensive:

9 Likes

To school no. Undershirt under it or don’t wear it. When they are with me, yes, especially on beach vacation or something like that.

Does she pay your bills?

Took my children to the playground in a bigger town yesterday. Girls between 10 and 12 were dressed in short tight shorts and one had a crop top. Men were definitely staring. That’s your choice if you want that. I wouldn’t.

7 Likes

This day and age it don’t matter what girls are wearing. They could be covered from head to toe and a child predator Is gonna look at them either way. My daughter didn’t know what crop tops were when she was 10. She’s 19 now and she can dress very modest and she still get grown ass men staring at her and make her feel uncomfortable. it’s damned if ya DO, damned if ya DONT nowdays :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

My body my choice, same for the kids. “Modesty” values sit right in line with rape culture. I work specifically with sex offenders and it DOESN’T matter. The thoughts of “scantily clad” come from their brains and NOT from a child’s clothing choice.

Nope not in my house because once they start wearing that by the time they turn 14 they wear them without a bra like I have seen a lot of them.

4 Likes

if YOU are concerned with it just buy high waisted pants to wear with it

Who are you to tell her any different? You are her mother…

And no, inappropriate at that age.

1 Like

I refuse to let my daughter wear them, she’s 9 years old. She’s a child, not a woman. Not a young adult. Okay, would you let her go out in public in see through clothes? Short shorts, where her little checks hang out? Nooooo. I wouldn’t. It’s not sexualizing, it’s protecting. & this is why little girls walk around looking like hoochies on a corner. Because they are allowed to behave like this. It’s more about teaching self respect at a young age. Yes, allow people to wear what they want at a mature age, but “LITTLE GIRLS” should remain as innocent as they possibly can.

🤌🤌🤌

8 Likes

Crop top over a tank top is my rule for my 10 year old. She’s going through the preteen stage rn.

She asked me if she could wear just her support bra and pajama shorts to bed (when the weather was warm) and i told her “thats fine. Whatever makes you comfortable. Just when its morning time put a shirt on before you come out of your room.” At this point; they are getting comfortable with there bodies…Shes going to be 11 soon…

I think they have too many skimpy clothes out for young girls. I just tell my daughter on some things “that’s just for her age rn. Sorry :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Are you her parent? That’s who you are, then? YOU parent YOUR child with rules and norms that fit your household. Stay consistent and loving. Is it against school policy? Then not at school. Children thrive when they are allowed to make decisions and be apart of their environment. As parents we help groom and shape them along the way.

2 Likes

My oldest daughter is 10, she is allowed to wear loose crop hoodies with high-waisted pants. It’s literally the style these days. She’s comfortable in it. I use the same rule My mom did when I was a teen… No Boobs, No Butts, No Bellies. :woman_shrugging:

Example: we was skating at the rink the other day a girl (maybe 13) had on a cropped sweater and she started to fall and her arms moving trying to catch the air to not fall…her shirt comes up and she was showing her bra…
So NO kids needs to wear clothes that dont show their stuff!!

Personally, I think it’s too young. I try not to be judgmental of others who do it, but I know how many pedophiles are out there and I know how predators minds work, so I don’t do anything to put my child in unnecessary dangers. Even if it seems innocent to you or me, it isn’t to others. Again, not trying to be judge-y, but that’s how my brain works.

2 Likes

No to young by the time she’s 14 she’ll wear what is not good and you will be in trouble.

They aren’t very modest, and I wouldn’t/didn’t. There are really weird people out there. It’s good to teach your daughters to be strong and assertive, but why not try to protect them while you can?

My little lady is 4. She wears uniforms to school and hates them. She likes cropped tops and she wears them, outside of school of course. I let her wear what she likes, what makes her feel beautiful. Whether it’s having her hair a certain way, lip glosses or eyeshadow out of an eyeshadow palette from Claire’s for little girls, Sometimes, it’s a mismatched outfit, pajama pants and a tee, or even her brothers jeans and a hoodie… She will come and look in a full length mirror and if SHE looks in the mirror and says “Mama! I wook beautiful.” This mama is happy.

I don’t allow sick individuals to dictate what my child likes and wears. I’d rather be vigilant, watch my children, teach my girl to respect herself, know it’s ok for her to feel beautiful and teach my boy to respect himself and girls regardless of what the girl chooses to wear.

If you have your children out of the house, watch them. Hold their hands in stores. Pay attention to your surroundings.

1 Like

Its only an issue because little boys and men have sexualized every part of a of a women’s body. But for myself, it would depend of thr style if the crop top to see if it’s to revealing

3 Likes

Personally No But I wouldn’t judge another parent for allowing it. I wouldn’t allow my daughter to wear one at age 10 To young Personally

1 Like

The biggest issue I have with all this is the last statement. “Who am I to tell her anything.” You’re her parent and the parents role is to protect them until they’re old enough to protect themselves. What you allow and what you don’t allow is completely up to you, but at the end of the day you are the parent.

7 Likes

How do YOU feel about it? How does SHE feel about it?
Your mom ISN’T paying your bills & she’s also not the parent. Y’all gotta STOP letting relatives/friends & random folks on the internet make the home/parenting decisions for you. Do what you feel is right for your family.

2 Likes

My daughter did there is absolutely nothing wrong with it if it’s under a top

Not unless you want to be a young grandmother…

12 Likes

“Who am I to tell her anything?” You are her mother & there are a lot of sickos out there. My daughter is turning 14 this year & finally gets to wear shirts just to her waist line.

4 Likes

That’s a no for me and my daughter is 11 and has asked. I told her around the house she could but not out in public, not because she’s not comfortable in her own body because she is and she’s beautiful, but there are way to many weirdos out these days that prey on the innocent.

3 Likes

mine does. you are the parent so if you don’t mind then it’s fine.

So I personally do not my daughter will be almost 12:00. She has never asked to also but I know that I would not however I do see a lot of kids her age in them. I don’t judge other parents I just make choices I feel like best for my family. I think sometimes especially the way girls age nowadays, dressing older gives the appearance of being older which attracts the attention of older guys. Definitely a personal choice though and something that you guys can figure out on your own. Maybe not to school?

1 Like

If it barely shows her belly button and is not bad then not a big deal. But if it shows a lot then yes it’s not appropriate, but she is your child so your choice.

At 10 years old, no.

5 Likes

All these old people saying a 10yo will make you a grandmother by what she wears :woman_facepalming:t3: y’all are sick.

8 Likes

You’re her mother that’s who you are. No it’s not ok

3 Likes

She is 10😊. As long as it doesn’t “sexualize her” it is ok. Sadly it is just the perverts around her we have to worry about☹️

4 Likes

I’d let mine wear it

2 Likes

My daughter that just turned 12 wears them

2 Likes

Some of yall need to learn to respect difference of opinions.

5 Likes

I am okay with it, my husband is okay with it. My daughter wears them where they only really show anything when you raise your arms.

Mt daughter loves fashion and she wears all different styles. I refuse to allow my daughter to be told she can’t wear something because she will be sexualized by the opposite sex. She is also taught time and place when it comes to what she is wearing.

Maybe just have her wear a cami underneath it. If that’s an issue bc she WANTS her belly to show then I’d say may be slight issue. :blush:

As a mother, I’m not going to tell you how to parent. If I had a daughter, the answer would be definitely not. However, I will tell you that men do look at that regardless of their age and as much as we want to keep our kids as kids, they still have that mentality of wanting to be treated as an adult, but not ready to be one. Just a little eye opener - my dad and stepmom wouldn’t let me wear those ruffled short skirts that everyone was wearing and one day I snuck and bought one. I wore it to school one day (snuck it in and changed at school) and got my crushes attention (18 at the time). He handed me his number and called one of my friends later asking if I was easy because my skirt was revealing and he liked what he seen. I felt extremely violated and hurt that he only wanted that. I never wore it again. I was a virgin at that time (16). Like I said, I’m not going to tell you how to parent, but kids today are more hyped about having sex and I do believe that how we dress says a lot.