Should a 6-month-old have screen time?

We love coco melon! They sing all the classic songs & for my son with a speech delay, it helped immensely with his vocabulary!

2 Likes

Girl what ever you need to do to pee or get those 5 mins of sanity I let my two watch the channel Cocomelon(I think it’s spelled like that) on YouTube it’s nursery rhymes with cartoons and subtitles actually helping him to read when we read books he can follow along :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

WHO says no screen time at all before 1, and less than an hour at 2 years old:

Children learn better through real world interaction rather than educational screen time:

spending two hours or more of screen time per day is linked to clinically significant behavioural problems.

When very small children get hooked on tablets and smartphones, says Dr. Aric Sigman, an associate fellow of the British Psychological Society and a Fellow of Britain’s Royal Society of Medicine, they can unintentionally cause permanent damage to their still-developing brains.

That being said, I use YouTube songs as a distraction if I need to use the bathroom or change my one year old’s diaper and he’s being too fussy or active. These are a few min long here and there, and I don’t think this type of use is what the experts are talking about. It should not be used as a babysitter though. If you need to get stuff done then babywear, ask/hire help, or lower your expectations.

3 Likes

I did an article for my old school paper 2-3 years ago about screen exposure effects on develping brains. It is highly recommended that no more than 30min-1hr for a 6 month old. Personal one on one is best when entertaining and teaching your child.

1 Like

Little baby bum it’s learning videos. My daughter loved them. I’d say maybe 1-2 hours a day not for 1-2 hours straight but maybe 30 mins each time or one video each time.

1 Like

its fine! That’s how I helped teach my son his animals and colors. There’s baby apps. I don’t know of any 6 month old that has an attention span long enough for the baby to spend hours on it.:roll_eyes:

30min- hour a day both my 2yr old and 9 month old. I do Disney jr channel and if my 2yr old wants his tablet instead same amount of time but no tv. We only do learning games like fisher price has a lot he likes and can do. Other than that we play a lot and do games to help with his speech delay and try to get his sister talking and make her try different sounds

Baby channel shows!! Color crew, rainbow horse, Harry and Larry, the notekins. Most of them are on amazon prime video. My son still loves those shows lots of bright colors

Maybe do like Baby einstein not baby shark lol

My 8 mth old loves having Happy Kids TV.com playing on the tv while he is playing inside his play yard. It has different shows for different age groups. The nursery rhymes plays in the background while he plays and if a certain song comes on that he likes he stops whatever he is doing and looka towards the tv and smiles. They also have a lullaby version that I play when he gets fussy and naptime…he knows this is time for sleep and will usually go to sleep with it still playing.

My 7 month old loves splash and bubbles! It’s on Netflix! I had the tv off one time and played the theme song and he looked right at the tv once he heard it!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was our favorite.

I put on baby tv for her playtime and naps I don’t see a problem with it

My almost 3 year old only watches a few 30 minute shows a few times a week.

Literally my first born would hardly watch tv anyways. If I had to do something and needed him safe and occupied I would place him in pack n play in the living room. With a toy or 2 and Disney junior on. Only because it was more appropriate then my preferred shows lol. He would watch a little but enjoyed the toys more.

We love super simple songs and little baby bum!

I let my son watch cocomelon for an hour a day on YouTube
He will be six months next week
He absolutely loves it

My kids loved Baby Einstein movies. Fun classical music, colorful shapes and puppets

We love Dave and Ave on YouTube