Should bills be split 50/50 if you make more than your spouse?

You just work it out. Period.

1 Like

I think if you’re married, bills shouldn’t be split, y’all’s money should be together because sometimes you make more, sometimes he makes more, but if you put your money together it doesn’t matter… you’re in a marriage and you support each other til the end so splitting shouldn’t be mentioned til death (or in some cases: divorce)

3 Likes

We just combined our money. We r married it is both our money.

1 Like

We typically go by % of income so we both have money leftover. He takes on some of the bigger bills and I take care of things like groceries and vet bills, etc. It’s always pretty fluid. If one of us needs money and the other has it, it’s natural to share back and forth. We make it work.

Edit to add: we actually make right around the same amount per year. +/- $5k or so.

1 Like

We have one checking account and all bills come out of there. I wouldn’t want to stress over who makes how much. We just pay our bills and live life.

2 Likes

My husband get paid mote. But he pays for the more expensive utilities ie: mortgage, car insurance, phones. But I pay for everything else. And w.e our childern need. So I would say we pay 50/50

2 Likes

Who cares. As long as ur both working it doesn’t matter. Money is just money.

And alot of divorces happen over financial abuse.

As long as the bills are paid. That’s what matters.

3 Likes

My husband and I have separate accounts BUT we also have a JOINT account lol all the bills we have are from BEFORE we got married lol… but we both are on the same page when it comes to bills and who can pay what with what check as we get paid different weeks

Between me and my bf we pay what we can whoever can pay more then the other does

2 Likes

Why not put all the money into one account and pay the bills from there? If you want to have some money for yourself, then organize it to come out of that account into your current ones. Why are you living such a divided life?

4 Likes

Do you have separate guys checking accounts? Or does it all go together?
I honestly don’t understand married couples who keep their own money and split bills. Are you married or are you room mates?

9 Likes

We have one bill account that we both add money to. I try to have us add equal amounts (I’m in charge of finances) but I make more than he does, so, there are times that I have to pay a little more towards bills than my husband does.
Every situation is different, but I think it should be equal (or as close it it as possible). You’re both adults using the same things and you’re both capable of paying your part :woman_shrugging:t2:

My boyfriend makes more than me, he pays house bills and phone. I pay for groceries and emergent necessities. Otherwise I just save my pay checks.

1 Like

We each have our own acct, but both have cards to each acct, so whoever has $ in their acct, that’s the one we use. There’s no mine and his :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

We split or whoever makes more that week we do 50/50 most of the time

Whatever works for your family.

1 Like

We don’t keep our money seperate so I have no input .

1 Like

We are a family. We do not split the bills, we pool it. But if you are going to act like roommates; then it is 50/50. You wouldn’t ask someone to pay more rent because they make more.

2 Likes

I bet if the spouse/partner made more than the person making more now this question wouldn’t be asked!! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

We pay everything together, we live together I mean what’s the problem. Whatever is left is for us

3 Likes

We have our own bank accounts, we have our own bills. He makes more so he buys the groceries more etc

I think that depends on what you mean by making more. If you’re bringing in 2000 bi weekly & he brings in 700 I think you could help out with some of the extra bills so he has some extra money. We split things but we don’t keep track. We both pitch in for rent then I buy groceries. He pays my car insurance & phone. I pay most of the tv subsections. He pays the power& gas. I pay the water. We don’t count dollar for dollar & we help eachother out when needed

4 Likes

He makes more so he puts in more than I do so we both have some leftover. I buy stuff for the kids and house where he pays for nights out and vacations and occasionally stuff for kids too if i don’t have it. It works for us

You are married. Just pay bills from y’all’s account? Why keep tabs?

3 Likes

My husband is the bread winner. I tie up the loose ends, pay for fun things and manage our primary savings account. He handles the big bills and takes care of the car. It really depends on the relationship

Yall are supposed to be one.
The money should be put together as y’alls money. And the bills should be paid from the shared money

1 Like

My husband makes a TON more than me. He takes care of bills and major groceries.

I take care of clothing, small grocery trips, diapers, wipes, and baby necessities, school supplies, house supplies (any reno jobs he pays). Just recently I was able to make enough to help buy flights and hotel for a trip we made together. Every relationship has their OWN way of handling money. My husband and I don’t even share accounts besides a main savings.

I think people should pay proportionally to household expenses. Whatever proportion of the money each brings in is how you divide bills. If he makes 60% of the income, and you make 40%, that’s the percentage you contribute. My ex paid the mortgage, I paid everything else. We each paid for our car expenses and went together on major appliances and large furniture purchases.

1 Like

I think its what works for you guys. If someone is unhappy it needs to be changed to make both equal as happy. Would it be done by %. Percentages can make things seem more fair. Always try to see things from the other point of view. Always do the math. Then workout a fair compromise everyone can be happy with. Best wishes.

For 30 years we each get a set amount in cash. That is our “spend it how you like” money. The rest goes into our joint checking for bills, savings and necessities. Big purchases are mutually agreed upon. I generally manage the day to day expenses.

In my house since im the only one with a checking account i pay all bills that can be paid online and he buys groceries and household stuff with cash it basically evens out.

1 Like

All goes in one pot and pays all bills. Discuss getting nice things with each other. You are not 2 separate people anymore when you get married. You become one. Marriage is no place for selfishness anyways.

4 Likes

All money goes into same pot. No comparing. The bills get paid.

2 Likes

If it comes down to you have to think about "splitting 50/50* yall shouldnt be married :woman_shrugging: yours is his and his is yours point blank period! You guys are fighting the world not eachother. You grow together your earn together and you stay blessed together​:raised_hands: you cant do that then let it go n go find the one that you can with

3 Likes

My husband never questions where i spend money and i dont question him :woman_shrugging: even when i was stuck home with a high risk pregnancy and couldnt work this guy never held that over my head. Find you a him :wink: :joy::heart:

1 Like

Ummmm…put it all together, pay the bills outta it, and then share the rest…
If you a couple…a partnership in life…it’s BOTH y’all’s money…
My Mr and I put all our money into the pot…bills get paid…then food…then fun. We discuss the fun money, cause sometimes we save it to add to the next pay to purchase something bigger if needed…
I don’t get this “their bills, my bills”, stuff…it’s ALL your bills if you partners …lol

3 Likes

Money was our last worries, he’s the bread winner

In our house there is no split anything. We are 1 not 2. The bills get paid every month and that’s that. Unless y’all are roommates and that’s a different story.

2 Likes

We don’t do 50/50. My money is his and his is mine. We are always asking each other before we get anything extra

3 Likes

We don’t have a his and mine. We pool everything we have because we are a team and that’s how we roll

4 Likes

Whatever happen to one account both checks go in and you just pay your bills?? Are my husband and I the only ones who still do This?

6 Likes

Should be whatever works for you both, i make heaps less than my partner so he helps out with most of the bills i just chip in what i can and that works for us,

2 Likes

50/50. If either earns more too bad, your money left over is yours theirs is theirs.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you are married it’s all communal money. So, in essence the money of each is added together then halved no matter how much each makes.
If married, why you even worried about who pay what, you are supposed to be a team.

2 Likes

If married husband assumes all financial burdens of the family. If single yes co-habination expenses split equally.

1 Like

Stop thinking a ‘mine’ or ‘yours’. Just have one sit down and write out all the bills and then pay them.

We put ours in same account and regardless of amount we pay our debts…we don’t nickel and dime eachother. No “I” in teamwork as long as you both are doing your best.

Honestly if your married or in a serious relationship all the money gets put into one there is no 50/50. Major buys are discussed. All the bills get paid, discussion of putting anything into savings and then a budget for everything else.

1 Like

I never understand why people have his and hers or their money :woman_shrugging:t3: we have a joint account and everything comes out together

3 Likes

Are y’all roommates or married I’m confused??

4 Likes

Nah, just pay the damn bills. You’ll create resentment with the lesser earner. Y’all in this together. I make substantially more than my wife, and I would NEVER expect her to split the bills 50/50. How she gonna get her nails done like that. And :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I WANT HER NAILS DONE! :nail_care:

We keep separate accounts. I make 4x more than he does. He pays what he can and I pay all the rest.

2 Likes

Wait your married and you keep track of whose money is whose?

1 Like

We have a joint bank account so it don’t matter

Sounds like a flatting situation rather than a couple

4 Likes

One bank account and you pay your bill this is so petty I hate relationship like this 3 cords of one you are married you are one

3 Likes

I say the financial burden should go by how much each person makes. So you pay the same percentage based off your income

Should always be 50/50

My husband and I don’t have separate bills!!!

9 Likes

50 50 but that don’t mean shit

My fiancee and I live together and he has 4 children. When we first started dating I was all got 50/50 but he didnt want to agree because I made more then he did almost twice as much. So then I showed him what it was like if he had to pay 5/6th of everything for his share and his children. He then agreed in 50/50. Now were engaged and its who has more this week

1 Like

We don’t have separate bills we have joint account snd bills come out and then we both just spend if it’s in there :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Are they your partner or flat mate?

We have a joint account so it doesn’t matter

50/50. We each have our own account. We split paying everything so it doesn’t get put on 1 person.

My SO pays the mortgage and I pay all the other bills. Much easier that way.

2 Likes

It should be 50/50. Your in a relationship one shouldn’t feel they have to take care of the other unless agreed to

When my husband and I both worked the person who made the most paid the bills the person who made the least put their whole check in savings

1 Like

I believe pay what you can

2 Likes

He makes more and We still pay 50-50 on bills and I pay most of anything child related bcc of child tax :roll_eyes:

We share a bank account and he makes waaaay more than i do. So we just pay bills :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

50/50 rest in joint savings

We don’t split bills or anything of the sort. All of our income goes into the same account and we pay what’s due. It doesn’t matter who pays what. The money is ours as a whole. Doesn’t matter who makes more or who got paid that week.

13 Likes

We have always just looked at it like “your money is my money”. I mean we have the same bills and kids to take care of. We have a joint checking account and separate savings accounts. Bills and daily expenses come out of our checking. If either of us needs/wants things we buy it no questions asked. We have our savings for the things that aren’t considered necessity and want for ourselves. Works for us.

3 Likes

1 saves the other pays bills

1 Like

I’d say you could both either agree to live within the means of the smaller paycheck or workout the percentages to be fair.

I believe that since we are married that all the money goes into one account and pay the bills and whatever is leftover goes for gas groceries etc and then into savings

6 Likes

Whether you combine money or not you both should have separate accounts as well for discretionary spending.

50/50 isn’t fair if one person makes way more than the other. Women really need to consider this especially if they intend to leave the work force to care for children. You will lose years of earning power and raises. Something to consider.

4 Likes

Joint account so everyone’s contribution is put to good use. Just because one person makes more doesn’t necessarily work harder. It’s supposed to be a partnership.

1 Like

The way we do it in our home is the one that makes more pays majority of the bills. It’s not fair for the one that doesn’t make as much to pay just as much as the other person. We have separate accounts and individual bills in our names that we are responsible for. No pressure and no stress.

All our money goes in to one account and we pay all bills together and whatever is left we decide together how to spend or not spend it.

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-bills-be-split-50-50-if-you-make-more-than-your-spouse/10938

Whichever one of us has the money in their account pays- we don’t keep tabs on it. We’re a partnership.

2 Likes

Joint account. All money goes in the 1 account and all bills get paid from it… his money is my money, my money is his…

1 Like

They should do the bigger bills and you do the smaller ones

Depends on the couple, the income and the dynamic of the relationship . Long as it’s fair and both people are happy that’s all that matters xxx

2 Likes

All money should be pooled into a household income, then all bills paid first. The remaining disposable should then be 50/50

8 Likes

It depends how big the pay gap is
If it was a big big gap if maybe do a . Spit based on earnings

If it’s not that big a gap or will still leave both with enough disposal income then 50/50

Don’t have that problem no man lol :grin::+1:

1 Like

Me and my partner don’t pay 50/50 as he earns way more than me (his choice). He makes sure I’m left with more than what I like to spend a month :crazy_face:

1 Like

in my house my hubby pays more he earns more (his choice not mine!) but i dont feel bad because if it was the other way around i would do the same, and as were married i see his money as mine anyway and my money is his, i wouldn’t say there is a right or wrong in this situe unless the couple earn the same then yes should be 50/50

My partner earns almost double what I earn, we split it 60/40 ish. 50/50 wouldn’t work fairly for us :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I work part time but my partner is main income. He pays all big bills and I do the food shops, school clubs etc. I’m a SAHM and a live in cleaner too so he cant complain​:rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Combine income to pay all bills and split what’s left 50/50

Generally, as I earn a more regular income, I pay the direct debits and he pays for everything else e.g food, going out, buying gifts etc

My partner earns over double that was I earn… if I paid 50% of the bills I would be left with nothing… if u are a couple the house is both of yours. U are a team… why would u want your partner to be left with nothing?

2 Likes

I’d say it’s more about the amount of disposable income. That should be equal. It’s not fair for one person to be left with a lot More than the other after paying the bills.

13 Likes

All our money has always gone into a joint account and it’s never been an issue for us.

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-bills-be-split-50-50-if-you-make-more-than-your-spouse/10938

His money is my money and my money is his money. We look at it as “it all comes from the same place.” Financial stress is one of the biggest arguments marriages have. As long as our families bills are paid, we don’t care who’s check it came from.

12 Likes