Should bills be split 50/50 if you make more than your spouse?

We don’t each pay half but we each pay in half of our monthly earnings into our expenses account. We’re both self employed so it fluctuates but always more than enough for monthly bills and any big household expenses that way.

6 Likes

My fiance and I had pooled our funds irregardless of what needed to be paid in whose name probably 6 months into our relationship, 3 yrs later there has never been an argument or problem with how we chose to take care of it. Only crappy thing is “i got you something!! Don’t look at the account till you open it!”

12 Likes

We do an equitable split not equal. I make more so I pay more so in the end the bills are paid and we both have spending money. We do not have a joint account but if one needs money the other gives it (if possible). We also discuss big household purchases and pitch in for them and we do not criticize the other for what we spend our excess money on. He buys sound equipment for his hobby, I coupon and pay for hair and nails. As long a everything is paid up then we don’t care what our each excess money is spent on, period. So many times I see people putting their spouse down for his they spend their discretionary income. It’s stupid IMO, as long as bills are paid and there is food in the house why complain that your spouse got a hair cut or something for their hobby??

2 Likes

I make substantially less than my husband. Each of our checks equal to “our money” that’s for either of us but we keep them in separate accounts which is easier for paying bills. He’s in charge of rent, car, phones, extra expenses (like surprise bills) and I’m in charge of water and electricity and any extra spending (like going out to eat or shopping)… plus having our own set of responsibilities really cuts down on forgetting a payment. Our ratio isn’t exactly 50/50 and either of us fill in when the other is short but it works for our budget based on when we get paid and how much we get paid.

3 Likes

I make more the. My bf and I pay for the car and he pays for the phone bills and they come out to be about about a hundred dollars different but he also helps with grocery and anything else we need or buy

1 Like

I bring home more and tend to pay more in bills. He handles his outrageous car payment, insurance, half of rent and sometimes our furniture payment.
I pay my car payment, half of rent, electric, gas, water, internet, car insurance, and sometimes our furniture payment.
We take turns paying whenever we go out.
I tend to pay for the little things for the house because i enjoy shopping and he will usually tell me to keep my money from car insurance and that’s his half toward groceries.

18 Likes

When our social security checks come in each month, we do bills . I cover the mortgage and the storage unit, along with my credit cards which are in collections. They are only in collections because I didn’t pay on them for awhile, due to him being in the hospital a few yes ago , outof work so I had to cover bills for a bit.

We take all of the monthly bills and divide by 4 weeks. Each week we both put 1/2 that amount in the bill account. The remainder goes in a joint bank account for food, gas etc. Any purchases over $100 we discuss it to make sure the other doesn’t have other plans for the extra funds

52 Likes

We all discuss all major expenses… We plan every month, bills tend to come out of one account, groceries/savings/wants out of another.

But really it’s all treated as a lump pile of money. It’s the money that comes into the household, so it’s shared. We share our lives, responsibilities, hopes and dreams. We take our partners wants into consideration and take turns with the big things.

4 Likes

Depends on the income difference. When hubby and I both worked 9-5. I paid the larger bills. Rent and car because I got paid biweekly and got a larger chunk at once. Even though he made more than me. He paid the smaller utilities and groceries etc. It seemed to work out for us this way. We had separate accounts. But if one of us was short for a need after bills we would ask if the other could spare a few dollars to get through.

8 Likes

Go by percentage. I make 70% of the total household income so I pay 70% of the bills, it’s the most fair way imo.

6 Likes

How my hubby and I did it while we were both working was pooled together. All bills come out of joint account. And then taking about $100 each pay check into our personal accounts. Sometimes he would tell me to take more since I tend to spend more. :joy:

32 Likes

We pay what is needed, regardless of who makes more. We both live here so bills and rent have to be paid as well as getting the necessities of the home (soap, detergent, shower stuff, stuff for the kids, etc). We don’t do 50/50, we do “pay what’s due” :joy: he makes more than I do, but just puts it on the bank account and tells me to pay what’s due, my check also goes to that account so it’s combined.

76 Likes

Joint account and we both contribute 100 percent. We both have the ability to spend outside of the joint account. There is no mine, yours, his. We built this life we contribute to it fully.

15 Likes

I would say it’s a percentage. If you make more than your partner, I would say that you would pay higher percentage of the bills.

1 Like

They fairest way would be for them to be split proportionately. So allocate a third or half of what each person earns to an account to cover the household expenses.

2 Likes

It should be whatever works best for each household, if it were me our money would be pooled there would be no mine and theirs once we had a home together. I know not everyone feels that way, but if I can’t have that type of trust financially in a relationship it’s not for me.

31 Likes

It should be up to each couple to determine what works for them. He used to pay all the bills when I was a stay at home mom. Since I’ve been able to go back to work, I pay some of the bills - mostly my stuff, like my car, student loans and credit cards; also insurance and cell - and he pays the rest plus food. And we help each other when it’s needed. I’m thankful to have the opportunity to take some of the pressure off of him!

6 Likes

In my personal opinion, it should be whatever the couple agrees on, like when I lived with my fiance we split bills like I’d get groceries and electric, and he’d pay rent(which was more than both groceries and electric combined) so it all really depends on what works for them

Edit: I made less than him, but we never really talked about that

7 Likes

Well I pay for everything and make less than half that he does. I have me and 2 kids so and did it before he came. Not sure how I got in this position. All he pays is 600 toward a bill and 400 for a credit card he charged up. He has put gas in my car once in 2 years and we use my car for everything.
I am fed up. He buys and buys and buys stuff for his own hobby and his bike. So over it.

11 Likes

As everybody saying everything should be pooled together. Balance the bills and household needs as one.

33 Likes

I mean I think if you’re married it should be paid jointly, but the partner who makes the most typically covers the bigger bills while the other provider covers smaller ones.

But again, I think handling it jointly is the best way to do it. Put money together and make sure bills are paid and needs are met.

3 Likes

I’d put an equal percent from each person’s check into a joint acct where bills, home expenses, vacations, and every mutual expense is paid from. Discussions before large amounts are spent.
Then a personal acct for each with whatever is left of their own check. Those you spend on whatever you want.

2 Likes

We put all spending money into 1 account and pay bills from there. We also have separate accounts to keep personal money in. Every relationship is different. Find what works for you.

4 Likes

For me if I make more I would pay more but we both make about the same. We do our best to do 50/50 but sometimes one of us pays more than the other. It normally balances out though.

3 Likes

No offense but what is this 50/50 stuff??? I must have a different mindset. We pay what is due, no 50/50.
My husband and I have a joint account where his check gets put in and then I transfer what I need for bills. I have accounts that he is not on because he is horrible with money so I manage all the money and make sure bills get paid. Our checks go in, he gets a weekly spending allowance and the rest goes to bills, savings, whatever else we need. We always communicate and no big purchases get made without talking to each other first.

4 Likes

We each basically pay our own bills. But he does the house payment and the phone bill and I take care of the utilities, rent, and car insurance. If one is short the other takes care of it. We share money but each have our own accounts. :woman_shrugging:t2: if that makes sense

3 Likes

We try to split 50/50 although since he makes more than me he pays more towards bills. Although i make sure i cover all essentials for the house and our son.

4 Likes

Depends on each individual couple. There is no one size fits all . Life is constantly changing and we all constantly have to adapt .

4 Likes

My husband pays most of the bills I just pay my own credit cards and student loans and the mortgage.

3 Likes

I think the person who makes more should pay more. Unless the other person can still live comfortably paying half.

4 Likes

All of our money goes into one account and it all becomes “our” money. Bills get paid from there, as well as all other expenses.

4 Likes

I make more than my significant other and pay majority of the bills mainly because id like him to have to some money in his wallet. I take care of what he can’t and he does the same when I’m in a bind. It depends on you both and what you both talk about

3 Likes

My husband pays everything. He makes double what I make a year. We have separate bank accounts. We get paid bi weekly so every Friday we see a paycheck. All I pay is my car (I got it on my own accord) and the family phones. We alternate groceries. It works well. If he needs cash or if I need cash we give it to each other. We don’t charge each other over it either. I tell him all the time he doesn’t have to ask for permission to buy anything and he never questions me about what I buy either.

2 Likes

Depends on how you two decide to do it. I know couples who split it equally and other who split according to their earrings. There is no right or wrong answer.

3 Likes

We have a joint account and my money is his money and his money is my money… We just pay everything. We’ve never argued over money or who makes more. He works more than I do bc I’m watching the kids more. We value each other as equal.

2 Likes

What works for one relationship won’t necessarily work for another. You’d have to do what’s best for yours.

Bills that my husband pays are paid and then my husband sends me the rest for me to pay whatever else needs to be paid & then the rest goes to savings.

1 Like

I make more than my husband and both of our checks go in the same account so it not “his” or “mine” we pay our bills with the lump sum that is there and spend what we want afterwards (obviously discussing big purchases). I guess I personally don’t agree on money being a specific persons when you’re married unless it’s an amount that you each save for yourselves to spend freely out of each check.

2 Likes

My boyfriend and I have the same account. So we just pay what needs to be paid.

7 Likes

My husband makes all the money, I’m a stay at home mom. My husband goes to the bank and cashes his checks because he hates banks and doesn’t want his own account, and like using cash money on stuff instead of a card. He’s old fashioned. He gets home and puts all the cash into My wallet. I put all the bills worth of money into My bank account to pay for the bills, and leave the rest as cash in My wallet. My husband looses absolutely everything no matter how much he tries to keep track of anything, so he keeps the cash in My wallet until he has something he needs to buy, then he’ll pull it out and put it into his wallet or since we usually go shopping together he’ll just tell me what he needs and we buy it🤷🏻‍♀️
It’s not for everyone but he hates keeping track of what’s due when and he hates cards and banks and doesn’t want his every purchase followed and doesn’t want his every swipe putting his bank info at risk, so we only use the bank for bills and cash for everything else :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You could split the big Bill’s, extras can be decided on a case by case basis.
Or alternatively, you could discuss and say if you pay rent and trash and half of groceries, I’ll pay insurance and utilities and half of groceries. I don’t think there is a set right answer to this question. Ya’ll should have a talk and find a budget that works for you. Both parties have to compromise and work to make it work

We just get our direct deposits put into one joint account. All bills get paid first, then we agree on a good budget for groceries and other necessities and/or wants, then agree on an amount to put into savings then also add certain amounts to our Dunkin’ apps to have coffee money for the week (since we both get paid weekly) and then usually the leftover we decide on a weekend activity to do with the kids or if we wanna have a date weekend instead but decide based on what money is leftover :slightly_smiling_face: & repeat every Friday lol

Should be an equal labor but that doesn’t have to be monetary. I pay most of the bills but my husband does all yard work and homework with the kids and most meals. We talked and that’s what we decided was a good division of resources

I made more for a long time and it was more 60 40 or 70 30. I always pay our higher bills, mortgage, truck payment, insurance, we split phone bill, and most utilities he always pays daycare and buys most of the groceries as well as puts gas in our trucks most the time. It works well that way we both pretty much have the same “extra money”

I honestly don’t even see my paychecks. Our checks are automatically deposited. He pays all the bills. I just buy what I want. He let’s me know if I’m spending too much. Lol.

50/50…

at one point he was making quite a bit more then me, and now same… always been 50/50 on mutual bills utilities rent food…
we pay our own extra bills, cars, insurance, loans

Hubby and I have separate accounts but we still act as one financially. We split bills according to pay, that way neither one of us are ever “broke” or feeling like we have less than the other. We also consult each other before making larger purchases. It just works for us. I say sit down with your spouse and find what works for y’all personally based on your household needs and each other’s feelings towards it :heart:

When married, all income is as one and all bills are as one. We do discuss before purchasing things that are over a certain amount. We have joint account. I just think when your married that’s how it should be.

1 Like

If you’re married and committed… IMO your money should be put in one account and you should feel as if your futures rely on walking together. Separate accounts equate to a show of mistrust in how the other person would place the relationship in jeopardy. Either trust the partner completely, money, relationship, decisions that will benefit both of you or keep looking until you find a partner who will put your lives together at the same level of respect you want from them.

2 Likes

My husband and I were just discussing how it’s weird that the current young adult generation has a “hers” and “his”
Approach to everything. We came from a generation where married couples had combined incomes and joint accounts and it was all “ours”. I feel like the current way couples split things would cause problems but to each their own. I make double what my husband does and I would never want him to feel lesser than or want for something because I make more
money. It’s our income and it’s a team effort. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m not sure. We have never really had a set amount nor do we track who pays what. We make sure bills our paid. It would be kind of silly for us not to pay rent let’s say, if one of us was short their half lol.

Depends. Is the person capable of making more but slacking? If they are doing their best then sure, I’d pay more than half, but if they are capable of better and say choosing to not work so they can slack off, no.

You do what works for you as a couple. My husband and I have had a joint account since the day we got married, so regardless where the money comes from, bills are getting paid. Then we have a budget for what we each spend beyond household expenses.

My brother and SIL have always had separate accounts, so they decided who would pay what bills and they pay out of their separate accounts. I don’t think theirs is exactly 50/50, but they figured out what works for them.

My husband pays for more because he makes 2x as much as I do.
I pay what I can, buy food, gas & other necessities.
We both pay what is needed, he just pays more because his checks are larger

My fiancé and I have separate accounts and one joint account. Each week we put at least $200 from each of our checks in the joint account and only use that one for bills each month. I usually buy groceries. He fills up both vehicles. Then the rest is just “whatever”. Or extra.

We have our own accounts and a joint account, he pays the rent and council tax and his personal bills, I pay the household bills, childcare, and my personal bills, then any money we have left goes into the joint account and that’s for the food and if we want to go out. We then can both see what’s left for the month and it’s always worked for us :slightly_smiling_face:

Depends what works for you. My man pays rent and for his vehicles, I pay groceries, electric and water. He helps out with groceries when needed

Depending how you want to work it out. We both get an “allowance” of fun money per week and everything else goes into the joint account for family needs

We have a joint account we all pay in and everything gets paid from there, no issues, saying who pays this who pays that. Savings wise a set amount is put into a savings account, With what’s left if I want something or he wants something,it’s as simple as saying “hey I’m going to buy this”. Lol seems so much easier.

1 Like

Personally, I do the budgeting in my house and I figure out what percentage of the total income each of us bring in(ex. Me 60% of income him 40%). Then I take the monthly amounts and multiply them by those percentages for each of us so that neither of us are paying more thank what we bring home in our paychecks. Overall, we share money so it’s not the biggest deal for us but it’s still the concept.

50/50 but we also divide ins & cell. He pays his portion of the car insurance & cell bill. Plus we have separate credit cards. I figure up the household bills divide by 2 then add his bills into his portion and ditto for me. It’s just easier this way. He doesn’t know what I spend on shopping and vice versa.

At my age (49) I would want to split bills 50/50, put the bill $ into one account and keep our spending money in our own personal accounts. That way it doesn’t matter who makes more, we both contribute equally.

Not gonna lie finance’s are a constant argument in our house.
I pay my phone bill, my daughter’s phone bill, water, power, toiletries, and help with food. I pay for basically all birthday’s and most holidays stuff.
He pays rent, car payment, tuck payment, insurance, sewer, his semi stuff, his phone bill and occasionally he helps with birthday presents/party food, he does pay at least half of Christmas presents, and groceries. He does bring home 3 to 4 times as much money as I do though.

50/50 if you make about the same. Sometimes my boyfriend makes more, sometimes I make more (I work in an elementary school and teach jazzercise and he does lawn care…so our hours aren’t always the same each month) and if whoever makes more helps out a bit more with bills and such. But we always help each other out and I think it evens out.

I’m pretty reasonable when it came to husband m. It it’s something he wants to do I let him enjoy and I do what needs to be done. My husband was a provider even when he wasn’t a good mate

The only time maybe this is ok is if the person who airs more wants bills that are higher then both can afford alone like a fancy car or a bigger house that’s not needed

Then maybe they should pay more if you agree to work it that way before doing it

My fiancé makes a little more than me. He pays rent, phone bills, spectrum & car insurance. I pay all utilities & trash.

We share our money. I put a little in a separate account that he doesn’t use (but has access if needed) and use that for vacations. Together 28 years and no real issues but hes ok if I take care of the finances.

1 Like

We have a joint account and agreed on an allowance for each of us as spending money, and the rest of the money goes to bills and to savings. It doesn’t matter who makes more as we share an account for everything.

I used to split bills with my boyfriend even though I made less :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3: he paid for groceries and gas. I paid half rent and half car insurance. Paid my own phone. That’s what I could afford so that’s what we did.

We have the same bank account so it’s our money, no matter how much the other makes or doesn’t make and We’re not legally married

I make a couple hundred a week more than my spouse. So I pay all of our utilities, he pays daycare (which is almost as much as all utilities combined) and he also pays for most groceries, and our daily lives/habits lol😊

We just put our total income together and work the bills out from that, anything left we just have in either or both accounts as and when needed.

You are a couple. You are one. You are equal. It should be as one, and not split like y’all are living separate lives.

2 Likes

Do what ever works for you …why is this even a problem? Talk it over figure it out so the Bill’s are payed and you all have what you need

That is a different discussion for each couple. Everyone’s situation is different.

In my home we do 50/50 as much as possible…sometimes he does more if I’m making less that month (I’m a server he is a mechanic)

Other couples I know, one person covers rent/utilities and the other covers groceries etc.

In my personal opinion, each person (assuming both work) should cover their own individual expenses (car payment, insurance, gas, cell phone, etc.

I think it all about making the family better. Hubby and I pool our money but I’ve met many others with separate accounts and only a portion of their check into that account for bills and the rest is theirs. It’s all about what works best for you as a couple and your life and family goals.

All the money goes in a common bank account. A budget is made, bills are paid, what’s left is saved and/or spent depending on our family desires. Purchases over $100 are discussed. Relationships are simple when you think in terms of “us” instead of “me.”

Im confused. If this was a boyfriend, ues it should still be 50/50. If this is a spouse, meaning married, why don’t you have a joint account and both paychecks go in? Then pay the bjlls with that. If you still want a separate sccount for yourself, have part of your paycheck go into another account. But your married so i don’t see why everything wouldn’t be shared.

It depends on a lot of things. My son and his girlfriend make a big difference in pay. She has a job as an R.N. And makes real good money. She also likes living expensive. He makes less then her but she also loves working overtime and really bringing in the money. They have two girls together, one is 4 and one is 6 months. He’s had options on other jobs that pay better but he’d have to be gone more. He’s the main caregiver for the girls. When their both at work I’ve got them. They don’t pay for child care.

1 Like

we don’t do 50/50, if a bills due, whoever has the money for it pays it :woman_shrugging:t2: we do go half on rent tho, but if one of us is short the other covers it, no biggie

Depends on what you and your spouse talk about and agree on. When I worked he and I made the same since we worked the same place and we always split 50/50. Eventually when I have a job again it’ll most likely be 50/50 again. As long as I make enough to cover half, I’ll cover half

Honestly, each relationship and household is different. My husband makes more than I do, but not by much, and it honestly depends for us. We maintain separate bank accounts because he pays child support for his oldest. Some months I’ll pay the rent and he’ll buy the groceries, other times he pays the rent and I buy the groceries. We live with his sister and pay her rent for us and the kids, and we tend to shop more at places like Sam’s Club to buy most of our groceries in bulk. You and your significant other just need to sit down and figure out how you want to split the bills. Its all about finding a balance that works for YOUR relationship. Also, like I’ve seen mentioned, you both use the same amount if electricity, water, etc., but if 60/40, 70/30, or whatever works better for you guys then that’s ok, you just have to work it out with him/her. If anything, maybe the person making more pays the higher bills, and the other person pays the rest.

No if one person makes more money then that person pays more. Take a percentage of the income. Say 80% of his and 80% of hers.

I never realized couples split stuff. We put into savings. We put into joint. Bills come out of joint and it’s no big deal we trust each other. We don’t spend crazy. But if we want something we talk about it and then decided it’s a good want, a need, or don’t really want just board shopping.

Once my husband and I got married, his money and my money became our money, regardless of who makes more. Therefore, they are our bills that we pay with our money. There is no his money, her money. We’re a team

1 Like

My boyfriend pays rent and puts gas in the car and I pay all the other bills

I’ve been married 26 years we have 2 joint bank accounts for bills. He makes more than I do but we always refer to it as our money. If I say his money he gets upset because we are a partnership.

1 Like

We don’t do percentages. We just put the money into one account and pay bills as needed. No one knows who pays what, all that matters is the bills get paid.
Our paychecks go into the account, our bills are on automatic payments. And I send the money for whatever isn’t automatic.

I believe money between spouses should be shared completely. So it’s not each individual money but money together. Then just pay the bills out of the shared money. And I don’t think either person should be shamed for not making more.

If you are partners, your money should be in one account. There it becomes “our” money

1 Like

My boyfriend of 15 years gets Social Security due to his blindness. I make way more money. He pays the cable bill, the loan payment for our central air units and buys some groceries. I pay everything else. We have our own bank accounts. Whatever is left after we pay our bills is our own money. We discuss big purchases. Which I usually pay for because I have more money.

We have a joint account and what’s in there is what pays the bills. There’s no his or mine. It’s ours :woman_shrugging:t3:

We have one bank acct and both our checks are deposited there. All bills are paid from there and we spend what we need to spend for ourselves, food,kid’s, etc. We both have access to it and we are one family so it works out. It don’t matter who make more or less. If I need to buy me underwear I will without having to ask. If he needs new shoes he will buy them.

When me and fiancé first moved in together I worked and paid for all bills as he was dealing with some health issues. As soon as he was released and able to go back to work he paid the lights,gas and his phone and filled both our vehicles up. I would pay rent and groceries and then we used the rest for whatever we needed or wanted to do because at the time I was making way more than he ever did. Now that I’m a stay at home mom with our son and a baby on the way he pays all the bills and anything our son or home needs… If I make any money it goes into the bank account and be put back to help torwards anything he may need it for but he makes sure our family is taken care of before our wants are met! It’s just however you choose to do it.

50/50 everything… but if Im making more money I tend to do the treating of outdoor activities or spend a little more on necessities… not because I feel obligated but because I can and I want to… And he does the same.

What’s his is mine and what’s mine is his. We work together to build our dynasty

3 Likes

One acct bills get paid from. Before getting married we set an “allowance” that we each get per month to spend as we want. Equal amounts.

My partner pays am excessive amount in rent and has his own bills and bits to pay for as he works. I have a baby and another on the way do I use my money to pay for our bills, food and any other bits, doesn’t add up to anywhere near what he pays but he understands that and he still appreciates I’m contributing

Everything just goes in a joint account and all the bills come out. we don’t look at who earns what, we just know x amount is coming in and x amount is going out and We have x amount left.