Should children have cell phones?

I think this depends on many different things. Every home is different.
In our home when we were looking to buy my oldest boy a new tablet, we opted for a phone. Because he was beginning to be home for a few mins alone once in a blue moon. He was 11.
The youngest got one much younger because he would get off the bus occasionally and stay home with the older brother after school for 30 mins sometimes if I had a dr appt.
Both were mature enough to take care of the phones. And responsible enough.
Each child is different.

1 Like

My daughter has a tablet that can be used as a phone of she wanted to buy her own service. As far as a cell phone, she can get one when she can buy it herself and pay her own bill. It’s a good way to teach them responsibility.

My daughter has had one since K.

We gave our 4 girls phones on their 13 birthday, with defined limitations and if they abused their privilege they’d loose it for a week and if they lost/broke their phones they’d get a new one on their next birthday! They’re all grown responsible, respectful adults and know children need boundaries and consequences with everything in life! Parenting is a teachable time-great way to learn responsibility and appreciation!

1 Like

My grand kids did when they where ii and 13 now her son has one and hes 10. If they are responable enough they can come in handy if trouble came near

1 Like

My daughter got her first cell at 10. Her father gave it to her so he could contact her without having to go through me. It was monitored and given to her only when he called or when she wanted to call him. I feel kids need phones when they are mature enough to handle them, that would be up to the parents discretion.

1 Like

Depends on the age, the situation, the type of phone, etc.

Watch the social dilemma

About the time my oldest turns 10 I will probably get a simple phone so they can have some feeling of independence and I have security knowing they can always call and I can track them. No games or internet on it though. It is a tool first and when they can buy their own they can do what they want

1 Like

It depends on the home dynamic. Some families need kids to have them

1 Like

I think it’s probably not really necessary until they have friends who can drive. Until then, adults driving them places can have phones. But there might be reasons to give them a phone before that.

1 Like

Both mine have them they are 13 and 16 I got them one for my piece of mind when I’m not around when I’m working or like now when I’m trapped at the hospital. I think it’s really just a personal decision that you have to make for your family based on the benefits

My 10 and 11 year old shared a flip phone, they got this when they started walking back and forth to school alone. They called when they made it to school and right before they left to come home, only an 8 min walk but I felt better knowing.

Nope, not until they’re in highschool.
The only way they will get one before hand is if they walk/bus to and from school

My 12 year old has a phone and she’s had one since 10 years old it makes me feel better and a little safer and she knows the dangers of internet I talk to her all the time about it and she has a I phone 11 that me and her dad pay for but she has to do chores to keep it and it’s my child and everyone believes in different things

1 Like

My daughter does dance competitions and I think in the next year or two I’ll probably get her one for that reason. Easier to find her and communicate when we need to in a huge setting.

1 Like

I let my son have one and he started acting out. Throwing tantrums all the time and fighting more, even if it was only for 1 hr. I ended taking it away. Hes 5

My 5 year old son has one. We supervise him with it. The only numbers on it are family members. We want him to be able to use a phone incase of emergencies. He also uses it to watch YouTube and play kid games. The only time he has it in his possession, is when we are in the car going somewhere or when he wants to play his games that are on there. He likes to use his phone to call his dad and talk to him when hes at work!!

2 Likes

Only the kids phone with GPS and they can only call 911 or their parents

1 Like

My 5 year old has one. HOWEVER, it’s a trac phone to take with her to kids camps to call me and when she’s out riding her horse on our property. She also has a tablet, but is only on it maybe an hour a week. We are fortunate to live in Montana so there’s lot to do besides electronics.

I say no smart phone until they show they’re responsible enough to be trusted with one. They make phones that can only be used to make and receive calls

My son is 13 he may use my phone to call/text his friends. But until he proves himself attitude/responsability/chores/school work he ain’t getting his own phone. If I have to work for what I want so does he.

4 Likes

No phone until they can do responsibilities around the house to earn one & only for calling/txtn me in an emergency.

My 2 oldest kids got one as a gift for graduation grade 8 but they always pay the bill.Now my third child he has my old phone play games and YouTube he is 12 years old

I have a step daughter who has a phone so she can get in contact with her dad and me . And she’s only 12 very responsible and she’s a great kid .no issues with it .I guess it really depends on the situation.

not till there old enough to absolutely need one but young no. my older daughter when she was in school didnt have one till about jr.high high school for after school events if couldnt get to a phone.any younger no thats my oppion

I got one when I was 16 bc my first car broke down all the time and I was constantly stranded. My mom didn’t want me walking through town after dark (I got off work at 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays). Seemed like we repaired everything on that damn car :rofl::joy:

i lived in town and my parents always told me, i can get a phone when i can pay for it and that didn’t happen till grade 11. honestly at the time i hated not having one but looking back it didn’t matter. i had an ipod and everywhere has wifi. my bf on the other hand had just a cheap phone at age 11 but he lived on a farm and took the bus to school and such. so in my opinion it depends what your situation is

5 years old let get real

1 Like

I got my first one when I was 8 so I could walk home from school. Just a little pay as you go, and texting wasn’t so big back then so I didn’t have that. Now that’s smartphones are everywhere it’s different. But just a simple phone for emergencies seems okay nowadays.

Its a luxury you earn. I provided the laptops. When they can pay for a phone bill, they can have it.

2 Likes

For me it depends on age, maturity, how rough the area is you live in, and behaviour. Mine take to school and back so I can contact them and vice versa then they go straight in the drawer until they have done their homework and had dinner and then they will have 1/2 hours leisure time on them, but if they misbehave they lose their device the next night

2 Likes

I think it’s kind of a neccessity once they hit school and start going to friends houses. I would like to know where my kid is and if they need me. Not a smart phone but like a flip phone so they can call me.

2 Likes

That depends, this day in age it’s safe as long as you monitor what they do and track them . Too many child kidnappings
We do tablets for ours since we home school since 2013. As they get older we will do phones.

Depends you gotta be careful…for example that man who shot himself on Facebook live…lots of kids saw that

Once they go to high school yeah thats fine but before that is a no go

1 Like

Middle school if they start sports or high school. It has worked for us not any younger.

Depends on the ages tbh and reasons. When I was growing up I wasn’t allowed to have one until I could pay for it alone. However, with the way things are in the world I would have a cheap prepaid for my daughter so that should anything happen where they need help or are in an uncomfortable situation they would have a way to contact me

I allowed my three kids cell phones after they got a job to pay for them. All three did and bought their own. One was 15, the other two were 16.

1 Like

At my house the rule is 13 years old with NO social media. Social media only after you can get your own cell contract.

2 Likes

If they’re old enough/mature enough to be going out with friends further than just in front of the house or in the close neighborhood, they should have a cellphone to be contacted or to contact you if necessary. HOWEVER, I do not believe they need a data plan or facebook/IG/snapchat/tiktok until at least 15 or 16 years old.

Once they are in high school. And once they start working they contribute to the bill

My oldest is 16, she has one so she can call or text since she goes back and forth her dad’s and my home on the school bus. My 7 year old has one for her games and has imessage so she can contact family. My 3 year old has a old one of mine that is set in kids mode all he can do is use kids YouTube and his puzzle games. My 7 year old and 3 year old do not have sim cards in their phones. They cannot call or use text message

Only when they are responsible enough to have one. And then only for calls and texting in case of an emergency.

Mine have had them since middle school

My son is 12 and has had one since he was 10. Smart phones. Usually a 2 or 3 year old iphone or Android. He’s a reliable trustworthy child but I still check his phone if I need to and he only has number of family members or his friends from school and those are monitored as well. He loves to ride his bike and go to a park down the street and I like him checking in me with me every 30 minutes so I feel better knowing he has a phone. Every kid is different. He isn’t allowed Facebook and we do not do tik tok in this house but I did let him have an Instagram with rules attached to it. It seems to be ok so far. I need him to know he’s trusted until he proves me otherwise but so far so good.

1 Like

My girl’s 9&10 do only because their dad provided it so they can talk to him. I personally don’t think they are mature enough.

We got my daughter one when she started middle school, we didn’t live in in the area.

My 10 year old has a phone. She takes the bus to school and ventures to her friends on her own. I need to be able to get a hold of my child

When they get their 1st job or 1st car. Then they can have one.

Depends on age and if afterschool activities. No expensive one and would start with buy the minutes card plan… Easy to take away if have too and keep track of on the phone time.

If they have a job and can afford it sure. Otherwise no. There’s too much research out there saying don’t do it.

I regret giving kids a phone it took over there life so I decided not to give my younger ones one but also made a mistake on giving them tablets so they don’t have them anymore either

My sons shared a phone but it stayed at home and they can’t bring it anywhere. It is only to communicate with me if I’m at work and they’re at home

At the point they walk home and to school on their own or go further afield than playing in the yard or street.

Not mine he calls his grandma over me telling him no

3 Likes

Yes. Once my kids start sports or have club meetings they will need one so they can get ahold of me.

3 Likes

I didn’t have a phone until I was 16. They don’t need one until then. If they’re at a friend’s, there’s a phone there. At a school function or sports? There’s teachers and other adults with phones. I managed just fine with no phone. My kid isn’t getting one until they show they need one or they are about 16.

2 Likes

Mmm maybe not a cell phone but a tablet or iPad sure. Cell phone when they’re in like, 7th/8th grade is okay

1 Like

No they don’t need one any more than they need there own computer with out super vision

Yup. I got my daughter one because she walks home from school alone and spends that hr by herself before I get off work. She must call me leaving the school and when she gets to the house. Things are not the same now as when I was a kid. And we dont have a house phone.

5 Likes

Depends on the age. My 7 yr old had one but i took it away because thats all she ever wanted to do.

4 Likes

My children all had a phone WHEN they could afford it. My 11 year old cut grass, and most recently cleaning horse stalls and bailing hay. S cell phone is an accessory NOT a necessity. I provide the necessities.

2 Likes

Depends on age & why they need it.
My boys are 12 & 13. They have phones for when they go to friends houses or friends call them after school/weekends.
They don’t take them to school since I drop off/pickup. Internet is blocked so only good for emergency calls

1 Like

8 kids 15 grandkids. Many of the grandkids over 8 have a cell phone nicer than the one I have. lol. THey know how to work it better than me. The one thing I love is that the kids can text me. They dont abuse the texting and I love having them contact me everyday. THey just text Hi to me and if Im available to talk i either text or call them back. Yes we have had a few hiccups along the way but in general are able to handle them.

My daughter 2 she have one I travel with but it have no service just educational games I see no issue with as long as they responsible and the parents supervise any social media

No children do not need cell phones. I do think if you do not have a landline at home you get a house cell phone that is kept at home.

2 Likes

i didnt let mine until they were old enough to work n pay for it and the service themselves, they never took care of things so i did it this way

1 Like

I think they should have a cheap phone when they are 12 or 13, just for emergencies or to simply text friends. They have pay as you go phones, and that’s good enough. When they grow up and earn their own money, they can buy a smart phone or whatever they desire. But they have to earn it. Kids break phones. I know I accidentally did alot.

My three didn’t get phones until they got into high school.

2 Likes

Maybe a flip phone… :rofl:

1 Like

I didnt get a phone til i was 17. Lol.

Circumstances matter. My son got his when he was 10 because his dad and I were divorcing and not communicating well, so I got him a phone so he could contact me for comfort or if he needed me. Otherwise I would have waited till he was older.

3 Likes

They dont need one until they are about 15 years old or older

3 Likes

In this day and age definitely. The world is getting worse and worse, I couldn’t imagine not being able to get ahold of my kid if something bad happened at school or a friends house

5 Likes

Well I guess my kids would start with one when I need to get a hold of them. But right now they are always with me or their father or another adult so they don’t need one.

2 Likes

I think once they start secondary school then they should have a phone especially if they are walking or getting a bus to and from school just incase anything happens. So I’d say 12/13 is a good age you could always limit their time on it and not let them have it in their rooms after a certain time or at all. It’s a scary world out there so just for peace of mind for you and the children will probably benefit them having one. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy as long as it does the job lol. Xx

1 Like

ONLY if HEAVILY monitored and restricted
No social media
No free access to the world wide web

2 Likes

Got one for my daughter because her dad tried to tell the courts that I wouldn’t allow her to talk to him.We started wt a free phone . Then worked up to an Android.

I learned the hard way when my son was in 2nd or 3rd grade and spent the night with a friend he’d known since kindergarten. He had no way of contacting us to pick him up when some bad things went down. I knocked on the door for about 15 minutes before someone answered it. The mom’s eye was black and swollen shut when she finally opened the door. He got my phone when we got home and I went to get another phone.

Depends. If my kid is leaving the house a lot to be with non family then yeah I’d get her a phone. I’m considering it still since we have 50/50 custody and we both work so she isn’t with either parent 247

2 Likes

Not until she’s staying home alone… so like 10-12ish.

But no social media. There will be parental restrictions. I’ll have all passwords and will monitor it.

4 Likes

I dont think they need these brand new ones that are out there just something cheap that they can use in an emergency.

4 Likes

I will say i dont agree but my 9 year old has one for the fact he travels every week to a whole different state to see his dad and his dad wouldnt let him call me when he needed to so i got one but it has a ton of parental locks on it and i am able to lock his phone at any given point and unlock it as well from my own phone… its through an app called parent link

2 Likes

Depends on their age

If parents are separated,I f they go to friends houses and/or are home alone then absolutely yes.

1 Like

Mine got one when she turned 11.

I had a flip phone in grade 4 (nine, ten years old) because I bussed and would be home for an hour after school. My kids are five and I’m debating when I’ll need to get them their own. Im thinking around eight, nine ish. I would only get something like a flip phone if they’re still a thing, all they need is calling and texting.

1 Like

My 8 year old has one. But he can only call 4 ppl.

1 Like

It’s up to the parents…but children should have a cellphone if they are away from parents.

1 Like

As soon as they’re doing things without me. Like walking to school, having sleepovers, going shopping then I’ll get them one.

My kids both have phones. My son is 8 and my daughter is 10 but their dad is halfway across the country and that’s how they communicate. I have full access to their phones and also have child lock on it and a timer for bed times so they have limited access.

I would never allow my child to go to school without a phone of some sort. Obviously it would have restrictions, but there aren’t just payphones sitting around or anything. I’m not letting my kid be gone for 8 hours a day without any way of getting a hold of me in an emergency.

Depends on the age you can get something where they only use it to call you or emergency. Put parental locks on it. Know every password.

1 Like

Depends on the age in my opinion. My daughter is 9 and wants a cell phone because some of her friends have them. I told her no because in my opinion that’s too young. I told her maybe when she gets to middle school. Right now she doesn’t exactly go anywhere without an adult or walk anywhere by herself, so no need for it.

A need for sure. My oldest was in 5th grade, middle 4th grade and youngest was 2nd grade when they got their first connected iPhone. They had unconnected iPhones and iPads and so on before that. They need a way to keep in contact with us at all times.

A basic one for safety
Access to the internet corrupts absolutely :rofl:

Depends on the age and personality. If u see your child as responsible trust him or her at a appropriate age.

My 12 yo does and i feel so much connected to her and safe. I m shared custody so i can text with her the week she s not here knowing whats going on . And also when she s at her friends or i leave her home for sn hour i feel safe being able to track her and text call her.

My friend got her daughter a watch that can only call 3 people and I think thats a great idea. My daughter is only a few months old, so who knows what kind of technology will be around by time i need to consider something for her.