Should family be paid to babysit?

Everybody saying it’s not her child ok but it’s her grandchild why would you pay someone to watch THEIR grandchild I will never understand

3 Likes

Idk. I don’t charge to watch my grandson cuz we love hanging out together :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

You don’t have the right to be upset. She is taking the time to watch YOUR kid for several hours a week and she is asking hardly anything. Otherwise go to a daycare and pay 2 or 3x as much

3 Likes

Pay her. It’s helping her out and would you watch someone else’s child for free that often?

Why wouldn’t she get paid? Its still her time and you expect her to so she should expect compensation for that

2 Likes

$65 a week is all she wants? You best pay her and shut the fuck up. Family doesn’t owe you shit, and $65 a week is cheap for quality child care you can trust!

Wow!! Entitled much??

5 Likes

I offer to pay anyone who watches my children… my mother , my niece, etc. They are my responsibility so I am willing to compensate anyone for assisting me with their care

3 Likes

Does she feed the kid? Then you should be paying. Jeez.

That is extremely cheap. She’d probably use it for snacks and outings… if you were to put him in day care or whatever you’d be paying a hell of a lot more per week.

Other wise you are taking advantage of your family member. Their time is just as valuable as yours, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Not too entitled, that’s cheap for babysitting, she raised her kids, she owes you nothing.

3 Likes

Her time is just as valuable … PAY HER… It’s not her kid. She’s already raised hers.

3 Likes

Pay her. It’s not her job. I pay my parents weather they like it or not. You should feel lucky that she is willing and your child is with family, but dont take advantage. She doesnt have to do it. And $65 is nothing.

1 Like

Hey come on now i live with my mother who isn’t able to work so I work and pay the Bill’s, but she takes care of the house etc. And I still send my kid to nursery 4 days a week because he is not her responsibility!

1 Like

Your grandmother is a twat. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

If family asks for a reasonable amount then as family you should. Maybe she is low on money and that is her only way to make ends meet or put food on the table. 65$ a week for 12 hours is fair. You wouldn’t find that rate from anyone else so i would pay her and say thank you and move on.

2 Likes

Don’t be selfish she needs to get $ for her time.

My mother watches my children for free when needed for work but she is also living with me for free and I’m currently supporting her… Before she moved in and i was supporting her i gave her money when i could… She’s watching your child some sort of compensation would be nice… If you cant afford what she’s asking for maybe explain that to her and ask if a lesser amount would work for her…

STOP :clap: USING :clap:ELDERLY :clap:AS BABY SITTERS!
They already raised children and possibly grandchildren. Having to babysit great-grandchildren is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous!
They are tired and not as fast anymore! It’s a danger to the child AND the older person. THEY COULD TRIP AND GET BADLY INJURED RUNNING AFTER TODDLERS.
They should get fun and cuddles not nerve-wracking responsibility.
That said regardless of their age, family or not, babysitting is a job and if the person wants to get paid they shall be paid. You can’t force people to do things for you for free.

17 Likes

Deff wouldn’t be paying. My mom used to watch my son as an infant while we were on wait lists for daycare she never once asked for money. Even when I offered she said keep it for the baby. Family is family for a reason
Even my cousins watched him and I paid them.and they sent it back to me in the mail.with a card saying how I dont need to be paying them. Just my opinion :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I mean, if you dont pay her $65 a week, and she refuses to watch the child, how much will you be paying someone who is not family? Or a daycare?

5 Likes

Lmfao wow she’s taking time out of her time to wAtch so pay

3 Likes

$65 a week is cheap it cost over $300 a wk in daycare in VA!

1 Like

For 12 hours a week that’s a little more than $5 an hour.
Because shes family is her time not valuable? Is she spending her money to feed him? Can you afford it? Would you be able to afford paying non family rates?

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you pay?
You would pay a daycare or a babysitter right?

What’s the difference?
Just because she’s grandma doesn’t mean she’s obligated to watch YOUR child at all!

4 Likes

It’s one thing to watch the kid every now and again. But every day 40 hours a week is something else

You can pay her. Thats affordable. Im sure she can use the extra cash like you need a babysitter. Doesnt matter if the baby is good or bad. Bad id charge more. :joy: if they offer for free then yeah. If not you pay.

Every family is different. I try to give my family money and they wont accept it. The only time they do is if I guve them money for pizza for them later while im at work. Ive tried sneaking it to my grandfather but it always winds back up at my house later that day.

Pay her ! Your grandma is doing YOU a favor by watching him so you should Atleast Pay her for her time! Aint nothing free in this world, besides your grandma doesnt owe you anything to be watching your son for free, thats your son not hers.

3 Likes

Why would you not want to pay your 62 year old grandma?

3 Likes

65 isn’t asking for much.

2 Likes

You must be joking. $65 a week is a steal for the hours that she watches him and I’m sure will help with her grocery bill and even if she isn’t feeding him $65 is nothing to know that your child is safe and cared for. Stop being an entitled brat

9 Likes

Does she provide meals? What is her personal financial situation?.. Compare that cost to any child care facility and then come back and we can talk. :unamused:💁

1 Like

I would pay but my mom would never in a million years want to be she loves her time with them :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

She is probably on a fixed income, most likely all that money will go to snacks and meals for the kids plus a little for herself. She raised her own and probably watched you, suck it up buttercup and pay her.

4 Likes

She should Definitely get paid because she’s ASKING to get paid ! Family is not entitled to free babysitters.

4 Likes

Yes she does. If you had to bring him to dayhome or daycare you would be paying anyway. Do you not suppose she needs money to live ? She probably has a small pension to live on and its probably peanuts compared to what she actually needs . Also she is doing you a favor. Yes its her greatgrandchild and it’s lovely to spend time with ,however assuminh her time is worth nothing is insulting. Do the right thing and pay her. I would and wouldnt think twice on it

2 Likes

That kind of money barely feeds your kid weekly. Pay the money and be kind and thankful to your grandma.

1 Like

I think family should not charge. I mean thats ridiculous. Its family!

2 Likes

You sound like an ungrateful brat. She didn’t put that baby in you, she is under no obligation to do anything for you. It’s pretty nice of her to do it at all.

4 Likes

My in laws don’t charge us to watch my kids (7&2) they watch them 3 days a week for 5 hours a day. Never ask for a dime

1 Like

You should gladly pay her.

2 Likes

Yes you should cause you could be paying more to put your child in day care.and besides just because she is your grandmother doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve to be paid for her time

2 Likes

Wow. I’m sorry but you sound entitled! You make it seem like it’s your grandmother’s obligation and its absolutely wrong for her to ask for money. Yes it would be nice and benefit you if she did it for free. But she wants to get paid(maybe she NEEDS it), family or not, she should get paid if that’s what she is asking. Don’t like it? Get another babysitter or take your son to daycare(where you’ll have to pay alot more)! And be grateful you have a family member that is able to watch your child, not everyone does.

5 Likes

$67 a week is $5.58 an hour if she’s keeping him the maximum 4 hours for 3 days. She’s doing you a favor by offering to watch your kid for so cheap.

3 Likes

When mine was smaller I would pack their meals to take and if they had them over night I would give $15 in case they went off

My daughter watches my toddler Mon-Fri and I pay her weekly. If you had your child in a full time daycare your expense would be a lot more than $65 a week.

5 Likes

I feel like with family, pay is a curtesy. Should you be forced to pay your own mom for help or support? Or should that be a given? Thats what family is there for. My sister in law offered to pay me even when I didn’t ask her to. I watched her daughter along with mine 5 days a week for 9-10 hours a day and she decided she would pay me $120 a week. I had no complaints.

Try finding someone else to watch your kid for that little … good luck

1 Like

That’s not even a living wage that’s 5.42 an hour

Ummm no. Its your mother. Jesus my grandmother watched me and my two brothers everyday my mother worked and took us and picked us up from school. My mom never paid her. My mom even offered to help with grocery money but my grandmother would never except that. I mean if your son is eating over their offer some food money. Other than that, no.

1 Like

Your grandma is 62, honestly you should be thankful that she watches your son doesn’t matter if he’s the best child. It doesnt.matter if she’s family , the grandma is using her time to watch your child…unless you want to pay a stranger more js

2 Likes

My grand ma watched my son 3 hours 5 days a week and I paid 350$ every two weeks on payday cheaper than daycare

Family doesn’t mean free you are taking up someone’s time family or not pay her that’s cheaper then most and it’s family you sound ungrateful

If a family member asks for compensation, then yes, parents should be prepared to pay for childcare. I provided childcare for free for my niece because she’s one of my favorite people in the world and I would hang with her any chance I could, but people should never expect that service for free.

2 Likes

$65 a week is a pretty good deal if you think about the price of daycare.

4 Likes

I would absolutely pay family to watch my kid/kids if it was a set time each week. An occasional bigjt out os different but multiple times a week…absolutely!

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter how well behaved your child is or who’s watching him. Unless it’s his other parent or you have some kind of mutual agreement to make it fair on both ends… you should always pay and never expect to have a free babysitter :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I don’t pay my family and they would never ask. Although of my mother comes in and picks my children up I will give her money for gas. I also supply milk/snacks if she hasn’t already bought them. She would never expect to be paid she just loves having them but if it was in lieu of a daycare then yes I would say you should pay her. It’s not a lot of money when you compare it to regular childcare fees.

2 Likes

You should give her that and then some…stop being ridiculous your lucky to have you grandma watch your child be grateful not petty

1 Like

Put her in a daycare then. Then you won’t be mad that she wants to be paid for a job she’s doing for you.

1 Like

65 a week. Bless her soul. You better pay that money girl. Your family can be trusted with your child and for 65 cant beat the price

4 Likes

Could she use the money?

1 Like

Your kids are your responsibility! Regardless of who’s watching them yes she deserves to get paid. Take your kids to a daycare I bet you’ll learn to appreciate your grandma she raised her kids already.

9 Likes

I’ve paid family members to watch my kids… But with that being said i always offer. There are times I dont and they understand why.

1 Like

Every family should take care of their own no charge never charged for my own grandbabies would save thousands from abuse

1 Like

It makes you livid??? She’s old??? Girl you need to grow up!! If it’s such a sacrifice take him somewhere else! You should be thanking her. You should feel blessed she can bond with her grandson. She’s “old” so she doesn’t deserve pay? Your post blows my mind. I will be 60 next month. I run a day care from my home. I charge $27 a day for full care. My house is clean. My kids have a blast. They don’t want to go home when it’s time. Maybe i should get ready to quit since I’m old i don’t deserve to be paid. You need to love and respect your grandma.

26 Likes

You’re complaining about $65 a week!!! Hard child to watch or not he needs to be watched…take him to daycare if you’re not happy. I’d count my blessings to know he’s cared for by family and at little cost.

2 Likes

Stop being an entitled brat. Your grandmother is not obligated to watch your child. Yes! Pay her! And be happy she isnt charging day care and prices.

7 Likes

Seriously! Yes you pay her! It’s her time! Even if retired and at home its HER TIME spent watching YOUR child! Why is this even a question! Some peoples kids man

2 Likes

Yes…you can’t expect others to take care of your responsibilities for free. That is just taking advantage. If they offer for free then ok…but certainly don’t expect it!

3 Likes

YOU’RE LIVID?!?!?
Wtf is wrong with you!? If you don’t pay her to watch him… you’ll have to pay someone else?!? Grandma does not have to watch your kid for free if she doesn’t want too! SMFH
If you can’t afford it, apply for assistance at your local social services.

4 Likes

Yes u should give her the 65 she’s asks for

Why wouldn’t you pay? You’re going to pay someone else more to watch the child and probably not get the same care. Why do people feel they are entitled to a free babysitter, because it’s family? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yes. I pay my sister to “watch” my kids from 530am-730am monday - friday while my 3rd shift schedule and husbands 1st shift schedule collide. Yes they are sleeping til almost 7am but she doesnt HAVE to come over every morning and definitely isnt obligated to give a shit about my work schedule.

You should be paying her AT LEAST 10 an hour. Holy crap this woman sounds like a jerk.

1 Like

If she was doing it for quality time then no but since she’s doing you a favor bc you need it she deserves to be paid because you’d have to pay someone else if she didn’t.

1 Like

think how much you’d have to pay someone else??

That’s so sad! I watch my grandson, who’s 4 and can be a handful. Never in a million years would I ever ask to get paid for it! I love the relationship that he and I are growing!! Good luck! :heart:

1 Like

I pay my in-laws 300 every two weeks to watch my 2 for four days a week and I don’t mind a bit. It’s beneficial for me and them!

1 Like

I think so.

Keep in mind that you’d be paying a hell of a lot more if you were to take your son to a daycare.

Definitely should be thankful that you have family to help you out.

Yes. Respect people’s time

1 Like

Wow you are petty… I hope she stops watching him then you would have to pay $120+ a week in daycare!

2 Likes

Seems like a deal to me…

1 Like

I wouldn’t and my family wouldn’t even consider charging me either. What happened to family helping one another? Gosh, family spending time with the child, making memories and bonding shouldn’t require payment.

I think I should pay her as u would anyone else hired 4 the job. If she does a great job n ur son is well cared 4 n happy n u r satisfied with her results then yes u should pay her. Can u find a free sitter that u trust elsewhere? I doubt anyone wants 2 babysit 4 free.

Pay a daycare and see what u get for 65 $$ lol

We always assume not to, but considering how much child care in a facility costs with strangers and other children running around exposing possible sickness, that price is more than worth it. Plus she’s feeding him.

Maybe that’s cause she’s watching him :woman_shrugging: I wish my grandma could watch my 6 year old son :heart: that would be such a blessing for him.

1 Like

Yes. You should pay whoever is watching your child. Family or not.

But I’m gonna be the odd one and say that $65 for 6-12 hours a week is a little much. :woman_shrugging:

it you were to pay the average is $4 an hour

Stop exploiting your grandmother and pay her you brat

8 Likes

If she said she didn’t mind having him then no why should you? But if you’ve asked her to have him then compensate.

They are your children not there’s. Yes they should be paid for the service they are providing you.

1 Like

It’s crazy to me that you feel so entitled.

6 Likes

Yessss. It’s not like its occasional.

1 Like

I wish I could pay that my daycare is $180 a week

1 Like

I think if shes asking for compensation, she sees it as being due. I do think that’s a bit pricey, but :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: It’s never fair to just assume someone will do something for you for free.

pay her then apologize, also be appreciative