Should family be paid to babysit?

I agree with the other comment of no child is easy to watch. My two year old is a wonderful child too and everyone loves her so I understand what your saying but still at 62 your grandma has raised her children. I will also say $65 a week is amazing I pay $1200 a month for my one child plus additionally for Saturday daycare as needed so total daycare monthly bill ends up being $1500-$1600 a month. Pay the $65 a week and be thankful

Yes I pay my mom to watch my daughter while I work.

$65 for 3 days (12 hours) doesn’t seem like much to me

It seems fair to pay her
Maybe not that much per say but it’s a lot better than what an actual daycare would charge but I would suggest sitting down and talking things out with her and coming to an agreement on things

Absolutely! My mother in law lives with us but she always helps take care of the kids. We do pay her whether its in cash or buying her something she wants or needs, but wed never expect her to watch them without some kind of compensation. Youd be paying way more to a daycare than what shes asking anyway. Just because theyre relatives doesnt mean they shouldn’t get paid. No one else that watches the child would be ok with that, so why would she?

Not to offend you but Its cheaper then a daycare and if shes on a limited income it helps her .

Go hire a teenager and see what they’d charge you to neglect your baby. Or put it in a daycare where you’ll have to pay for days you don’t bring the baby because it’s sick or you aren’t working that day. You’ve got a good deal going right now and should change your attitude to one of gratitude instead of entitlement. You’re lucky to have her and have her healthy enough to be able to watch your baby. Grow up.

I would have offered her money especially if she is in a fixed income or retired. I had my nephews watch my kids once and bought them pizzas drinks and chips as a thank you. They are athletic and liked the special treat.

65 dollars is not a lot get over yourself my brother paid me to watch his kids and he didnt get petty about it

I say Grandma is selfish! I look after my great grandchild because I love spending time with her and would never charge for that. I try to help my granddaughter to get ahead and also to know the baby is with family and not strangers.

6 Likes

Never take family for granted. Yrs you shoyld pay her. 65.00 8s very cheap. Regardless if he us easy or hatd… she is sacrificing time.

My mom doesn’t ask to be paid to watch my kids while i work but i still pay her, she could be doing other things and another job but she is helping me instead.
She does watch my kids all the time for free for dates, outings, appointments.

If she didn’t offer to sit for him you’d be paying a daycare a significant amount more . And he not with strangers he’s with someone who loves him and actually cares

Yes she should be paid! She has told you that if she watches him she wants paid. I watch my 2 nieces and they are “easy” to take care of, I get paid for it. I’m a stay at home mom also. We need to make something, doesn’t matter if it’s family or not. That’s pretty cheap, try considering that anywhere else would cost a lot more than that.

1 Like

It’s a courtesy. They’re taking the time out of their day to watch your kid/s for you. What you pay them is probably being used for groceries or supplies that are being used while they watch them.

2 Likes

I’ve payed my cousin to watch my son 2 hrs a day for a week. I don’t know thr doller worth but i payed het 200 rand for the week

My grandma (also my adopted mother) watched my now 9 year old son while I worked full time starting when he was 3, when he started school she did school drop off and pick up. She did this up until this current school year because we moved across town to have access to better schools. I work from home now, so childcare is rarely needed but my parents wouldn’t have taken money from me if I offered it to watch my son. They love my son and want to spend time with him, grandparents should want to spend time with their grandchildren. I brought them dinner every now and then, took my mom out to lunch but I never had to compensate my parents for being grandparents. Guess that’s a blessing I’ve had that not everyone gets, but I couldn’t imaging family being any other way. I hope that when the time comes and I have grandchildren that I will be able to take care of them so their parents can work.

65 is alittle high but you should give her something

Just because shes family doesnt mean she owes you anything. Stop trying to take advantage of her! You knew you were in the wrong because you had this posted anonymously :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Then he should be in school lol.

1 Like

$65 a week and that is a guaranteed babysitter girl you better pay that because she doesn’t have to make herself available to babysit and if you can give her little more from time to time.

2 Likes

I’d rather pay family that i trust to watch my kid. Does she have a job? She may need the money.

1 Like

If it’s a one off thing no do not pay. But if it is a scheduled on going Childcare yes you should most definitely pay her

Hahahahaha its your kid, not hers…if you dont like it taking to a daycare…

2 Likes

I pay $25 to have a daycare watch my daughter from 7am to 5:30 pm. That’s three times a week…$75 a week. To be expected to be paid $65 for 6-12 hours a week is BS. She doesn’t need to see her grandson if time with him isn’t a joy to her and she needs to be accommodated

7 Likes

I would rather pay and get good care of someone that loves my child and then just to throw them with somebody else because it’s cheaper not saying you would that’s just my opinion

1 Like

My mom watched both of my kids and I paid her weekly. She ran an at home daycare, so if my children were there, it took 2 spots she wouldn’t be able to make money on, had I not paid. I received a discounted rate, but I would have had to pay anywhere I took them so I could work. Be grateful you have family that is willing to take him so you don’t have to send him to an unknown sitter or daycare center. What she’s requesting is minimal and if you can’t afford it because your income is below poverty, there is usually assistance that will help with that.

1 Like

I would pay more then that willingingly if I had people to I could trust. What I wouldn’t give to have my grandmother watch my babies, my father, my mother… heck what I wouldn’t give to have all of them back here on earth watching my kids grow up in general. Don’t take advantage. 65 is cheap and also a piece of mind. Get over yourself and pay that woman for God sakes.

2 Likes

Say average she watches in is 9 hours at minimum wage (11.10 in my state) I’d say $65 a week is more than fair. Remember she raised her kids, and I don’t think $65 a week is too much to KNOW your child is safe and taken care of

3 Likes

I paid my brother to babysit

$65 seems very reasonable

1 Like

Too be honest I’m a single mom to a 5 yr old . no help from his dad and I’ve never expected any of my family too watch him. I’ve paid my mom a few times that she has taken him for the night so I could have a break. I pay my friend that watches my son once a month for a weekend I give her 30/40 dollars for the weekend . When I go back to work next year I’m prepared to have pay for after school care for 2/3 Hours 5 days a week wether it’s family or a facility.

1 Like

She’s most likely feeding, spending money etc. I think that’s a great deal. Way cheaper than daycare plus he gets better care. Maybe she needs a little help also. I always paid something or at least traded help with grandma when she watched mine. It was worth the relationship for me.

2 Likes

I watch my granddaughters one once every week, the other every third weekend for the entire weekend. I go to their homes so they don’t have to get the babies up at 530 am. I dont expect pay, I do expect snacks and if I need help at my home that they will come help me

3 Likes

Be glad its only 65 daycare is wayyyyy more expensive. Just bc shes grandma doesn’t mean shes not entitled. She has bills n a life too

3 Likes

Grandma didn’t have the baby, you did! Childcare is not her problem to deal with. Sounds like she’s doing you a favor!

4 Likes

Depends if payment is because she needs help with essentials like food ect. Are you bringing that with him. If not 65 is cheap

1 Like

not 65$ a week thats a lil high…

Lol ain’t nothing in this damn world free lady.
Either pay your grandma or find something else. Stop taking advantage of people

I offer to pay family any time they babysit. You should definitely pay her. It shouldn’t even be an issue for you really. You saving by not needing daycare.

1 Like

My dad retired one month before I went back to work from my mat leave and I offered him and my mom $100/ week to babysit for me. They were with someone I trusted and that he already knew. Is she providing food and snacks for your little one? If so then absolutely you should offer money.

3 Likes

That’s less than $6 an hr. Shut up, pay her and be thankful you’re not paying hundreds a week for childcare

14 Likes

I would never charge my daughter to watch my grandchildren. To me, that’s strange.

2 Likes

Pay the lady your time is worth money correct …so is hers… kidz wear on a house also no matter how well behaved he eats drinks and uses everyday stuff like we do so no matter how small u think it is its not

$65 is a hell of a deal girl

6 Likes

Just because you decided to complain, you need to pay double! Time ain’t free! Pay her $130.

5 Likes

I don’t pay their aunts and uncles they would not take money anyway, but I would pay my niece :slightly_smiling_face:

Is your family paying for food etc whilst in their care? If yes, then 65/week isnt that bad.

Yep. I mean you COULD be paying $2,000/month at a daycare.

Be thankful

5 Likes

You’d be paying more at a facility. Shouldn’t be complaining seeing as NO ONE is obligated to watch your kids. If they offer to do it for free that’s one thing but don’t expect that. That’s just lacking respect for those willing to help you.

2 Likes

I work 12 hour days and I pay my sister or my mom $1400 month to watch my 4 year old I might get a bit annoyed but my kid is well taken care of for all of those hours…

Grandmas shouldnt need to be paid, it’s her grandson! I would never ask my daughter for money to watch my grand babies.

1 Like

That’s cheap daycare for 3 days is over $90. Since when is grandma’s time not worth anything???

It’s her time. She raised her children. If you don’t want to pay her what is an amount you will NEVER find as low with another provider, go try to find someone else who will charge less. I promise you will find no one who will charge at least twice as much.

Bear in mind, she has no responsibility to do it and whether she ‘should’ be doing it for free for you and her great grandson is your expectation, not hers. Who is paying for the food your son eats when he is there, the roof he’s staying under and utilities he is using at her house? None of that is free.

1 Like

I paid my mom every week for watching my kids while I was working. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Gmas have bills too 💁

1 Like

Grandma raised her babies🤷‍♀️

1 Like

Absolutely. Being related should have no bearing on being paid. She is providing childcare and should be compensated

2 Likes

If you still was a no you shouldn’t have to pay her that is very ungrateful on your behalf yes she should be paid because she’s taking out her time to watch your child if you don’t want to pay then put the child in preschool or take him to a daycare I guarantee you a daycare will charge you a lot more than that

1 Like

I guess the question is what would you do without her? If she couldn’t do it how much would you pay ? She comes to your home too or not. If you don’t have to drag a kid out & feed them & pack a lunch etc… she has to put gas in her car to get there & home . So many pro’s & probably not many con’s. So don’t be selfish & think of other’s feelings too!

1 Like

I pay my mom 200 a month to watch my baby 2-3days a week.

Yes, she is taking time out of her day to help you. Its not unreasonable to expect compensation

3 Likes

You should be thankful you have a family member to watch your child and $65 a week is a steal compared to other options.

I agree that she should not demand to be paid, that would upset me too. She should have asked instead.

Any and everyone deserves to be paid to babysit!

Some family may babysit for free on occasion, but it should never be expected on a continuous basis and she totally deserves to get paid. I watch my best friend’s son, and I look at him like my other child, but she pays me. It’s time and energy that I dont need to give, but I do. Just like your family. If you can find another babysitter for cheaper, go ahead. But I can pretty much guarantee you won’t and if you do, then you may not get the same care as you are used to. Be happy you have someone to help you, pay the poor woman, and be grateful. Some people dont have the luxury of even having family who will help. She’s raised her children, and now it’s your turn so she’s doing the right thing asking for payment.

She’s watching YOUR child anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a week. Just because he’s independent and well behaved doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserves some kind of payment, and $65 isn’t a lot ($5.42 to $10.83 an hour depending on how many hours that week). See how much an actual daycare would cost and you wouldn’t be so LIVID. I paid my mom monthly to watch my daughter while I worked my full-time job, not a lot but she still deserved some compensation.

2 Likes

That’s cheap. Yes you should pay family. Is she feeding your child? Cause shes paying for food and drinks. Also, shes your grandma. Why would you get mad that she wants you to pay her? You think your entitled to free child care because shes family? Go find someone else and you can pay way more than 65$ a week.

2 Likes

I would happily give her the money. She’s doing you a great favor. Pay it and stop complaining. Be appreciative of what she does for you and your children.

I think it is so sad that grandparents expect to be paid to watch their own grandchildren. Just enjoy spending time with them. But people are so lazy and want to do other things than watch a child. Sad

3 Likes

Maybe bring some food over for your son

1 Like

Entitled :roll_eyes: nothing is free pay her

2 Likes

I paid my mother to watch my kids even though she didnt want the money. I made her take it. You should not expect your family to watch for free. Its different if they are just watching for a night so you can have adult time but not on a regular base while you work. Im sorry but you are in the wrong for expecting her to due it for free.

3 Likes

Yes they should there doing u the favour,and when there pensioners they don’t get a lot of money,out of respect yes definitely my mums looks after my son purely for school reasons I pay her,she feeds him cloths him absolutely yes I think your find childcare will cost a lot more have some respect!!!

1 Like

unless they offer to do it for free, then yes. if it’s a regular thing, yes. family doesn’t equal free care.

1 Like

Yes you pay the woman or find another sitter for that price… Difference is if it’s occasional and offered like date night not a regular thing. Would you babysit 6-12 hours a week for free??
Whether family or not you should always offer $ and not assume it’s free.

1 Like

I’ve always paid family to watch my kids… the way I see it they are taking away from what they could be doing to help care for a child they didn’t help create…

1 Like

Yes especially when it is during the day.

It’s each of their own…I don’t charge to watch my grand daughter but that’s me

1 Like

Yes, you’ve given her a job. It isn’t a once in a while thing, you’ve given her a schedule…

Why are you livid? He’s your child not hers.

2 Likes

Family shouldn’t be expected to babysit for free. It’s her time and you are a jerk for expecting her to watch him for free. I wish I could pay $65 a week to have someone watch my son.

3 Likes

It sounds a little entitled. Not her child. You don’t have to pay the $65 she’s ‘demanding’. You could be paying child care fees instead.

3 Likes

WTF?? Yes pay for your child to be watched, doesn’t matter if it’s family or not… Damn selfish of you to expect her to do that for free… Smdh

You are so not right.
She should be paid for her time and patience. It’s not her job to watch your kid.
I get it , family wants to watch kids, but they usually want to do it on their own time.
It’s expensive to feed kids, and care for them constantly; even if it is for a couple hours a day.
Pay her something or go to a day care and pay 10x the amount.
Good luck.

3 Likes

You all talking about you wouldn’t pay family or your family doesn’t ask to be compensated​:woman_facepalming: Then send the kid to daycare and pay WAY MORE in comparison plus you’re grandma loves your kid a daycare won’t​:woman_shrugging: But in THIS SPECIFIC CASE… the grandma says she wants paid​:speaking_head: so there is NO ARGUEMENT here​:100: It’s her free time, she could spend it how she chooses but she’s watching him instead. It’s a responsibility and it could be putting her out​:woman_shrugging: we rdk but the POINT IS that she has already expressed that she wants to be paid. I WISH I had family that would take my kids even once in a while that I could trust with them EVEN IF that meant paying them​:100: But a lot of us don’t have that, so just because you may doesn’t mean that this woman’s feelings aren’t valid. Maybe she feeds him, maybe she’s struggling herself, maybe she’s saving the money for the mother for all we know? But the point is she’s doing a job and she asked to be compensated for it​:100: And at way way less than any other person or daycare would do it for so quit bitching or go pay full price for daycare​:100::woman_shrugging:

childcare is expensive! 65 is nothing i give my mom $100 every paycheck (if i can) or take her out to eat or buy her something she likes. my kid has soo much energy tho and i work crazy hrs im blessed she offers to help me :blush:

Absolutely if it’s a continuous thing

If it’s a scheduled and weekly care - absolutely should be paid. Occasional Grandma time no.

Well, 4 hours a day x 3 days, comes out to about 12 hours a week. She’s only getting paid about $5 an hour.

You sound like an entitled brat. Cough it up. Thats more than reasonable!

2 Likes

$65 a week is CHEAP!

1 Like

Michelle Obama paid her mother 174,000 dollars a year to watch her daughters who were teenagers. This is the same as entry Congress. She gets that for life again just like Congress. I don’t know why people expect relatives to do things for free because of their family. Most families do this for each other. However I don’t think that it should be expected.

2 Likes

I paid my SIL when she watched my son.

Yes you should pay her. No one should be expected to watch your child for free. Now tell her how much you love and appreciate her.

3 Likes

Not her kids, not her responsibility. Either pay her or find another sitter. Its ridiculous to even be mad about that. What she’s asking for is probably barely enough to even make it worth it to watch him. Its probably helping with her groceries and gas in the car…

1 Like

In this instance I would say absolutely not! That’s just a few hours for 3 days a week. That’s less time than my kids go to their grandparents house each week. If she don’t want the child that little bit of time then she’s not that great of a grandma in my opinion. Now if it was full time the yes for food and anything else they may need I would pay them unless they were demanding they watch the child and you not send them to a daycare.

1 Like

But that really cheap maybe she needs the money I’m a broke MawMaw but I don’t ask for money

I watch mine and just remember they are safe with her. Daycare in home or facility you never know

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read!

1 Like

If it’s 12 hours a week that ends up being $5 bucks an hour - seems fair.

1 Like