Should family be paid to babysit?

If only I could pay $65 a week in childcare. Come on? Are you expected to work for free?

I don’t charge my daughter but, that’s my choice.

1 Like

I paid my mom weekly for watching my kids after school.

I think she must need the money if she demands it. As for the $65 , that’s a deal.

I usually pay $10 per hour for someone to watch my 2 kids. Sooo personally I think $65 per week is completely reasonable.

1 Like

I would never ever charge my kids. It is payment enough to babysit them

2 Likes

Obviously yes
Not her child
Equals pay her and stop being pissy

2 Likes

We pay my mom 50/day for 3days a week and she doesn’t ask for it but we also don’t expect her to take the time out of her life for free! We also provide what is needed for them as far as diapers, wipes, specific things we like them to have because again she shouldn’t t be expected to provide those things! We are so appreciative to have her and not have to use daycare so we want her to know her time is valued!

2 Likes

wow you sound like a very ungrateful child! 65 a week??? pay her… thats nothing compared to what you would pay anywhere else…

3 Likes

You gave birth to that kid so watching him is ONLY your responsibility. Nobody else has to do anything for you. You should be grateful you have a family member who’s willing to help you & you absolutely should be paying for that help. Some people really think everyone owes them something.

2 Likes

I’m paid to watch my 3 grandsons I charge 10 a day per kid for 8 hours then it’s 5.00 and hour after that
I don’t do weekends at all if I do then it’s 50 for 4 hours then 10 an hour after that
See I’m grandma not full time caregiver but since I don’t trust anyone with them then I do it
But they are fed bathed spoiled and very well loved let’s also add my 4 yr old grandson is autistic.
Be kind to her and pay her it’s the least you can do since she has already raised her kids

3 Likes

We pay my sister in law to watch my son 3 days a week. They’re providing you a service the same way a day care or babysitter outside of the family is, there’s nothing to be livid about.

My family would never ask for money to babysit however, if I had a family member babysitting on a consistent basis a few days a week I would be the one to offer them some kind of money for their time. Be thankful she’s watching him, just because he’s “easy” doesn’t mean she’s taking time out of her retired life to watch him 3 days a week. That’s also a lot for an older person to do!

1 Like

What would you do without her? My daughter could not work without child care, and I am 400 miles away, I think it’s great you can help her but you shouldn’t feel like she doesn’t deserve it?

1 Like

Yes. My grandma, who is older than yours, watches my daughter (1.5) every week. Sometimes it’s a couple days for a couple hours and sometimes its everyday for 8 hours. I pay her a minimum of $100 a week. If she does do everyday I pay more. I do at least $4/hour but sometimes more if I stay late or forget to ask. She raised her kids already, the least you cam do is pay her a little.

1 Like

Uhmmm lol $65 is superrr cheap… Family or not. Stop expecting handouts. Either pay her or pay a sitter I’m sure would charge at least $100 a week or more depending where u live. Lol. She’s doing u a favor… Stop trying to take advantage.

3 Likes

As a grandmother who watches her 2 part-time I don’t charge, but I do expect gas money for having to make 2 to 3 trips to two different schools a day when I do have them.
I’m on a fixed income, which alot of grandparents are.
I don’t want to be paid, because I’m trying to help out save them $ on childcare which is way more expensive than the $20 a week gas money.
I honestly feel like you should pay her, I don’t feel like it’s to much, and your child is probably getting alot better care with Grandma with all these horrible daycare stories I see.
I’m fortunate I can help out for free, but maybe she’s not in that financial condition.
Even if she is, I think it’s a reasonable request from her.
Hate to hear she’s demanding it, but keep communication open so it doesn’t become such a issue.

2 Likes

Well if he’s so easy and fantastically behaved why does he even need a babysitter? Leave him home alone!!! Lol

4 Likes

Nahhh I would pass on babysitting u can buy her something to show her you appreciate the baby sitting but she can’t demand shit from u :woman_shrugging:t3:

Do you work for free? If you hired a baby sitter you would have to pay. In this case you are taking advantage of a relative who maybe able to work else where and get paid better then what you are paying!

It’s left up to grandma to decide

1 Like

65 is reasonable shes your mom and his grandma not sure if shes on limited income the 65 would be a great help as far as food and other things. I agree shes feeding him and spending money on him and her. Was cheaper than a daycare and he is with his grandma I run a home daycare my daughter has to pay my grandsons spot as it’s a spot that’s an income. If you are willing to pay a daycare why not your mom

65 isn’t much. U prob wont find one for cheaper. Plus gran prob needs it!

Yes definitely,would they work for nothing

Uhmmm, $65/week is very reasonable. It doesn’t matter how well behaved a child is, if someone else is caring for your child, the least you could do is pay them. You dont get a free pass because she is family. Be grateful she watches him for that price.

1 Like

I would always pay… totally different if family is able to be only family but everything changes when they are caring for your child on a schedule

I guess I’m the odd man out. I say no unless she is really financially struggling and needs it. That is what families are supposed to do, help each other when and where needed. What you should do though is help her out anytime it is needed, if that be yardwork, cleaning the house, etc. You are very lucky to have that support, be appreciative of it. Raising kids without a village is tough, speaking from experience.

4 Likes

Yes!! Pay the last $65 a week is cheap ASF.

1 Like

Hold up your grandma so means the child great grandma nah pay the woman u selfish girl end of day if was private u would pay alot more her time ain’t free and she has raised her kids and probably your sorry ass as well by sounds of it

I feel.like most family would watch for free. But I also feel it’s not required of her to do so. I feel like it’s a cheap rate, you wont get cheaper if you call a daycare. Plus daycares want you to have your kid in more often so you have to pay more. Shes probably on old age pension so could use the funds so you guys are helping each other out really

I only have 1 child…but she knows that I’ll watch any kids she has for free…bc I want to know my grandkids are takin care of…ask me in 10 yrs when I have grandkids :joy:

Yes, you should gladly pay her.

Grandma should be paid. She is watching your child. I’m thinking you have peace of mind when you are away. You don’t have to worry about your child being harmed, he is in a safe, loving atmosphere. You would pay more for daycare and you don’t really know who is watching your child. Be happy grandma is still here and can help you out. She may also need the $.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect anyone to watch my kids for free for any reason. I think 65 is a steal. She should be compensated

1 Like

Maybe she needs a little extra cash and you are getting off pretty cheap! Just pay her isn’t your baby worth it

2 Likes

Ya you should pay $65 is cheap. Don’t expect people to alter their schedule to suit your needs, or to watch kids for free. Ready for this you’re not entitled to a free life

1 Like

My family and I are too close. Babysitting each others kids is more of an “I love you and I love these kids, this is a favor and I enjoy your children.” So it’s not a burden that requires payment.

3 Likes

If you get paid weekly pay weekly if you get paid biweekly pay that way i get paid monthly from the company i work for so i would pay monthly and i also bring food for my child and things like extra clothes and whatever else now that hes a pre teen i pay some one 5$ a week to give him a ride to and from school because the bus wont let him ride we live to “close” to the school

Yes, they should be paid. and that’s a very reasonable amount, of not low, for the number of hours.

Umm I pay my grandmother $120 every weeks to watch my daughter while both me and my husband work 40 hours a week a piece but that’s just me🤷🏼‍♀️

That’s cheap plus she’s could be doing anything during the hours she watches your child even if the child is chill :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

You should OFFER something up front. Most will tell you I am glad I get the opportunity to have this time with the grandchild. However… things get comfortable and the child sitting can get out of hand. It is possible that the caretaker of a child uses that monies given to purchase things for the child whereas normally those products weren’t needed. Be nice and thankful if you have the opportunity for a trusted family member is able to watch your child for you instead of having to out them in these daycares whereas the child doesn’t always get the necessary attention. Think before you shoot yourself in the foot. Be grateful you have choices.

1 Like

My sister paid me to watch her 2 kids over the summer a few years ago. It wasnt anything crazy but it definitely helped my family out.

1. its your grandma meaning its that little boys great grandma so shes done watching kids
  2. Yes you pay a daycare why not pay her

Im talking from experience I would pay my grandma 200 a month to watch my daughter now we have an agreement where if she needs anything i pay for it as she is sick and my whole family pitches in to help watch her so i can work full time

4 Likes

I pay my grandma $10 a day (I dont make much to begin with) and I am thankful for her watching her. I’m the one insisting on paying her not the other way around. My grandma is happy to get the extra money but told me it’s not really needed but I still pay her regardless (even if it’s not a lot) In my opinion you should be offering to pay her something anyways.

2 Likes

I thinks it’s fair it’s a little more than 20. 00 a day . Most baby sitters ask for 25.00 an hour .

4 Likes

Girl you’re tripping! No matter how “calm” your kid is he still needs to be watched, entertained, fed and changed. That’s your grandma lady!! She should be free of any responsibilities at this point. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
I’m living by your post.

13 Likes

My mil and I just had this convo. She watches my very active 3 year old. She takes him to school in the am and picks him and watches him on Saturdays from 8-4. She said she can not believe how grandparents could want money for watching their grandchildren. I know we are very fortunate to have her and that some people are just not financially stable enough to help out in that, but I still think it’s absurd to expect your child to pay you for anything

2 Likes

Yes family should get paid.

1 Like

You should pay her it’s just that simple

1 Like

Yes they should be paid. I must have missed the memo that stated family was free child care. Stop being selfish. I’m sure your grandmother probably needs the money, you should be glad to pay so little for child care

3 Likes

If you did not have him who would be taking care of him ? How much would you paying the other person? If that child is getting the best of care which I would say he is pay the person hey also need to care for

1 Like

I don’t understand why people will pay non-family to babysit but thinks it’s ok to not pay family. You need to be respectful of your Grandmother’s time. She already raised her children. If you want her to make herself available to consistently watch YOUR child, you should always offer to pay. Period.

13 Likes

Yes ! Don’t be greedy 65$ a week is a hell of a deal no where in the family clause does is state free child child care smh. :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

Omg pay that women she probably uses the money on him anyways or other grandkids … You have no idea how cheap that is either … And just saying nobody’s kid is always that well behaved adults have their days so I imagine as a little person learning how way in the world he has days and moments he struggles

3 Likes

Raising anyones kid for a couple hours a day is difficult, draining, ans time consuming, now imagine at 61 years old

3 Likes

Yes you should pay her for that!

1 Like

Do you work for free…

5 Likes

The demand part is all that bothers me. You should want to pay her. He’s probably getting the best care possible, other than you. We shouldn’t expect our elderly family to watch our kids just because they are not working. They’ve put in their time! Now they should live on their own terms.

5 Likes

$65 a week? That’s ridiculous. My child goes to a before and after school daycare program at a local church 5 days a week. They’re open from 6:30 am to 6 pm. I Only pay $50. I think 65 is a little steep for the hours and days, but that’s my opinion.

Consider yourself lucky. Great-grandma probably likes having some extra spending cash! STOP whining!!!

Yes it’s not her responsibility she already raised her own children

3 Likes

Your grandmother is probably on a fixed income! You should be less concerned about the price and more concerned on the fact that you have someone to trust to watch your kid. And about 20 dollars a day is nothing!

4 Likes

I mean you could send him to daycare and pay twice as much.

4 Likes

I think that is fair ! This is not " her child" , and you would have to pay someone else to keep him , so why not pay her , where you know he is being taken care of and loved ?

1 Like

Grandmother is not short for free babysitter, you’re getting of cheap.

2 Likes

Are you providing food? Older people are on a fixed income. They need to be compensated. Also 65$ is a fantastic deal

Respect and Responsibilities. Look it up and while your at it go to a office and ask for help if you can’t afford it they have a place you go and ask them to get you child care as well as they can pay your family member to care for your child in this case your Gram. Kk hope that helps

OP, you fucking pine cone pay your grandma​:woman_facepalming:t3: this shouldn’t even be a question :roll_eyes:

No one is entitled to watch your child for minimum wage or less

I pay for my daughters child-care services and she’s so well behaved.

2 Likes

It’s your kid not hers. She doesn’t have to watch him and you’re lucky she’s only charging you $65. Pay her

5 Likes

My mom watches my kids for free for an hour or two once in a while, but NEVER would I expect her to watch my child that long and not get paid.

2 Likes

You should definitely pay her. If you don’t like it, then put him in daycare and best believe it will be more than 65 a week.

1 Like

$65 is so cheap! Family isn’t free!

If it wasn’t a regularly scheduled thing and just a grandparent spending time with a grandchild like an occasional sleepover, no! However, its a regular thing where she is acting as a babysitter, yes, absolutely.

1 Like

she could be a Walmart greeter and make more money

If shes asking for the money it’s one of 2 things. She either needs the money (maybe for his sake or maybe for her own.) Or shes teaching u responsibility. Geeze girl. You’re lucky to have that offer. My own mother asked for 25 a day!

3 Likes

Um yes, I’m sorry but just because they’re your family doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be paid.

2 Likes

Nobody owes you free childcare.

7 Likes

Wow. Yes. She shouldn’t have to ask. Or do it for free just because its family.
She already did her deed & raised her children. No-one. HAS to babysit for free, family or not.
Honestly, you sound so selfish & entitled. Would you watch your niece or nephew while their parents worked for free every week?!?!?

5 Likes

Personally if its a weekly thing and not just here and there I would pay

2 Likes

That is way to much!

1 Like

I can’t believe you really asked that question!!! Smh

2 Likes

If you don’t like it find someone else :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

In this case with her watch the child this much. Yes. And that’s more then reasonable amount.
It’s one thing if it’s a once off when your in a Jame, or an emergency came up then I wouldn’t be asking for anything. But ya…

2 Likes

$65 could be much depending on your situation, but at the end of the day it is your child, not hers. Wanting compensation is fair.

3 Likes

I’m so glad my family would never want money for watching their grandkids

1 Like

I once watched my great-granddaughter for a few hours, when mama returned she offered money, i told her she didn’t need to pay me. She then threw a 20$ bill on the floor, and said, i’m not picking it up, she then walked out the door and went home with her child. After she left, my heart swelled with graditude, that she was meeting lifes obligations. I appreciated the fact that she valued my time and had respect for me. Thank God for the responsibility of my granddaughter.

4 Likes

My friends sister-in-law was going to charge $150 a week for the same amount of days & hours. That’s basically the same amount for daycare… I would pay her some, but that’s just me…

What an entitled brat !!!

2 Likes

Read some other post and if you don’t want to do cash you make sure your helping her with all the things your young and able body can don’t expect things “free”

2 Likes

Put your kid in care and than complain $65 is cheap.
You need to grow up.

3 Likes

You would be paying more at a daycare bi weekly than what you would be paying your grandma a MONTH. You’re taking up her time regardless of how well behaved your son is, you should be grateful.

2 Likes

Do you have a better opinion ? I doubt it. Pay the lady.

I don’t think it’s right for her wanting to get paid, and the only reason is because she is his grandmother that is only my believe but, if you have to pay her that’s ok also because have you ever thought she may want you to have her watch him with all the horrible things going on at our daycares and baby sitters these days abusing children and leaving then in daycares Vans and cars and physical abuse so bad by others that baby are killed you can’t trust just anyone and if your complaining about that 65 dollars you just don’t need to fuss over that it’s not worth possibly loosing your child your risking that if you don’t have you grand mother there to babysit plus like everyone on here had told you if you took him too a daycare it would be way way way higher like you would at least pay 200 a week so please take my advice and keep it the same, there is a lot of reasons why…GOD Bless You…

Well why not did she not raise u or in some sort oway during your life

Damn. Someone should smack you for treating your grammy like that.

It’s alot more for a childminder be thankful u have family to help u out

1 Like

My dad does it for free but he lives with me and I pay the Bill’s if he didn’t I would be paying him though for sure

1 Like

If a family member is willing to take the time to watch your child, then yes, you should be willing to compensate them. I am extremely lucky because my mom watches my child, (and my 2 Nieces and nephew) every day that I am working, and all she asks for compensation is that my sister and I pay her monthly cell phone bill, which is roughly 100 dollars. However, if she ever asks for more, I would gladly pay it. I would pay any amount of money to know that my child is with someone I know will love and take care of her. I am grateful that I don’t have to worry about her being miss treated and that is worth more than all the money in the world.

4 Likes