Should family be paid to babysit?

My daughter mother in law charges her $500 each payday to babysit for her to work

1 Like

May be your mum has no means of getting pocket money. She’s just human and she would like to buy herself somethings. Have you ever thought about just giving your mother money just like that?

1 Like

family is allowed to ask to be paid just like anyone else would be…

2 Likes

Wow. Let’s talk about entitled much?
Every family is different. I’ve never had to pay family to watch my son. But if they’d have asked i would have. Why?
They raised their kids. They are under absolutely no obligation to watch mine.

6 Likes

Does she need the money? If it helps her makes ends meet then yes.

4 Likes

Yes you should just because most of the money probaly gose right back to the kids thats what i do with nephews and grandkids.

6 Likes

Pay her. Or go find someone else to watch them and pay way more than $65.

2 Likes

Yes. Grandparent. Has live also. U. Get a babysitter see what u pay.

2 Likes

This question is fucking absurd and can’t be for real.

Ummm…YES! Smdh… Honestly, if it makes you so damn livid, you are more than welcome to find someone else. The time matters and it’s time she could be doing something for herself or making money some other more lucrative way. Add to that, you have no idea how to draining that task probably is and her age.

I pay my mother 5$ an hour to watch my son.

1 Like

You’re moaning over giving her way less money than a child minder would cost you. Get a grip, people don’t have to give up their time to watch your child, she could be working those hours and earning more. Show some gratitude and stop expecting people to do shit for free.

Just my opinion i always ask before hand hey are okay with watching my son for a few hrs i need to do errands, or laundry. My mother and sister in law always jump at the chance. But its once a week for each of them at most twice. It just depends if they asked for 20$ a day i see no harm in it. I provide everything but its their time. And time has value.

1 Like

I think its reasonable. 5 year olds are nuts. Her time is no less valuable than anyone elses because shes family…
Plus $65/3 days…couple hours each day. That’s a steal, basically $20/day.

3 Likes

My parents didnt charge us. And my grandparents didnt charge my po arents when we visited.

I think it’s pretty reasonable tbh. She is giving up her time to help you. And also this is cheaper than daycare. If you can’t afford it then speak to her about an about you can afford and that will suit her as well. Otherwise you’ll have to use daycare which will cost a lot more

3 Likes

Yep! Unless they offer to watch them like for a date night, that would be my only time I wouldn’t assume I need to pay them. If it’s a weekly scheduled thing, multiple days worth, so you can work, then I absolutely would expect to pay them.

3 Likes

Absolutely they should be paid! Be thankful that you’re only paying $65/so and not $160+ a week!! Their time is just as valuable as yours!! They could be going out to make money another way rather than watching your child! If you want and expect FREE then you stay home and watch your own child! :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Also a child minder or nursery wouldn’t change rates depending on how calm the child was. :roll_eyes: It’s not even relevant.

9 Likes

She shouldn’t have to watch YOUR child for free unless she tells you otherwise. Pay her and be thankful you at least have someone to watch your child…that you can trust.

5 Likes

My mom watches my daughter I feel the least I can do is help her because after all she’s doing me a favor! Because daycare is super expensive so if I was you I’d be grateful that u have someone who can u can trust and charge u next to nothing to watch your child.

2 Likes

That’s about $7 and hour. You’re lucky to have her!

5 Likes

She shouldn’t even have to ask!! Just give it to her!! You’re taking the fun out of being a grandma!! It’s expected of her! If u don’t want to be obligated to pay for the reassurance of peace of mind go pay double or triple that with strangers!

3 Likes

I pay my family to watch my kids :woman_shrugging: I would rather pay someone I know and trust then pay someone I don’t know at a daycare

3 Likes

Excuse me? Where do you get your entitlement from? Of course you should be paying her! If she wants to do it for free thats one thing but the woman deserves to be paid for helping YOU

7 Likes

Why do people assume that just because it’s a family member that they shouldn’t have to pay for their time?

5 Likes

If it’s a regular thing then I think yes.

1 Like

My grandma watches my 4 yr old 2 days a week. She is very active and still drives. He goes with her to get her hair done each week and she has a responsibility. She doesnt ask for anything but wants to feel appreciated. I call each week and pay for her hair as a thank you. They are elderly and limited means income. I appreciate her doing it but I do not expect it. It helps her a little as well. They deserve something I feel for making the commitment to take the worry off of us.

3 Likes

I could never take money from my children or grandchildren…but maybe the woman needs to supplement her ss/income?? Something that should have been discussed before committing to.

…it’s just $65 tf

3 Likes

I really just wanted to post… Livid?! your GRANDMA is 62?!Jesus. She could still be able to hold a job, right, so maybe just pay her… but also my MOTHER is older than that and I only have a 1 year old, so I don’t have any relevant experience to share…

4 Likes

What an ungrateful brat :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Just because she’s your grandmother doesn’t mean she owes you anything. You should be more than happy to pay her something to watch your son. Excellent behaviour or not.
I think $65 is a small price to pay for daycare PLUS the added bonus that you really KNOW the person doing it.
Pay her the money OR pay more somewhere else and quit complaining.
Also show some respect for your elders.
P.S. My mom watched my 2 kids several summers when they were small. Back in the 80’s. I gave her $60 week then!! even though she didn’t want to be paid.

13 Likes

I don’t a grandparent should be paid to watch their grandchildren I’ve never got paid to watch my babies

2 Likes

I paid my mom $100 every 2 weeks it gave her money to spend on what she wanted and needed and I brought my children their own food and things they would need so it wouldn’t fall on my mom be happy u have that most kids get stuck in daycare with people u don’t trust.

3 Likes

Yup. Unless discussed otherwise. My grandma used to watch my daughter for $15/day for about 5 hours.
It’s better then paying daycare rates of $30 or more a day. And you still have to pay if your kid misses.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: the entitlement of this generation is shocking

11 Likes

I’m a nana and if I was babysitting that much I would expect to be paid as much if you came to my house to clean 3 days a week, if it was once n awhile, no and if I had all kinds of money, no, if it was when I wanted them no

2 Likes

My mother or grandmother would never charge. I’d never charge my children. Personally, if I were going to pay someone, I’d pay someone who would have a child for mine to play with. Maybe a mother’s day out program.

1 Like

I don’t see why she can’t get paid for her services?
We pay my mother in law 300 a week to watch ours when we work in town and 600 a week when we work out of town. I NEVER expect her to watch them for free🤷 she raised her kids, now she’s just helping out with ours so we could work. And I 100% believe we should pay her for watching them🤷
(They are 9,8,6 and 4 and all go to school full time)

4 Likes

My parents have never asked for money for watching my kids… I make sure to pack anything they would need (diapers, wipes, formula, bottle, change of clothes, snacks and a lunch for my oldest, baby food etc) and my mom always laughs at me and says “you know we have all this stuff here for them right?”

I would absolutely pay them tho if they wanted me to.

3 Likes

I paid my mom for watching my kid. Just because it is family doesn’t mean they aren’t putting their lives on hold.

9 Likes

Still not her job pay her or another

2 Likes

Regardless of how perfect you think your boy is, is your grandmas time not something to consider? Shut the heck up and pay your grandma, you sound like a brat who takes advantage of people and then bad mouths them once money’s involved! :woman_facepalming:t2: Not to mention, I don’t know someone in their right mind who would bother an elderly person with this hassle, if he’s so calm and perfect then take him with you, I’m sure he won’t bother you while you study or I’m sure your boss wouldn’t mind since he’s so very well behaved, calm and independent… or better yet, you stay home and look after your own damn kid! :roll_eyes:

You could take him elsewhere and expect to pay the same amount. You shouldn’t expect your family to regularly take care of your responsibility for free.

4 Likes

Well when I went back to work when my girls were maybe six months old the first time I went back to work and yes this was years ago my mom watch my baby and why we may think there are calm it’s still somebody you have to watch out for and if you need to run to the store you’ve got to drag of a child along with you back then which was 50 plus years ago I paid my mom $10 a week to watch my daughter then when the second one came along I paid her $15 a week. Back then was the going rate which I know now you guys would be thankful for but I see no reason why she should have to ask or demand you may see it as demanding she’s asking because she’s doing you a favor and I would rather have my children with someone a relative that I know instead of a daycare that you don’t know and kids come sick because their parents can’t afford to stay home from work I mean I don’t think she’s being unreasonable and I don’t care how Bella with child is there is always going to be a breakdown at some point trust me I have three children I have numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren and while I love them all dearly and I think they’re perfect sometimes I will have to admit they’re not even with me pay her 65 a week and be thankful and give her a hug once in awhile for doing you a favor

Why does it upset you? You shouldn’t expect her to watch him for free simply bc she’s family. I pay $90 a week for my school aged children for before and after school care (1 hour a day). I feel like $65 is a good deal!

3 Likes

My son is 14 and I still give my parents some $ as gratitude to keep him for the last few hours of my work day :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If you have the extra money then give them some, they’re feeding your child and taking care of them. You aren’t going to find a lot of people you can actually trust to do so. I don’t pay my mom to watch my son but if I have extra money I give it to her

If you don’t like paying her then put your child in daycare and spend more money wish I would have had family that could have watched my children when they were young

3 Likes

Wow so you think she just have to do it because she is the granny! A bit crap of you just to expect it. And the fact that you didn’t offer to pay or compensate in any way means that you are a selfobsorbed and spoiled brat who thinks you are entitled. Get some commo sense and manors!

5 Likes

you wouldn’t walk into a store and expect your groceries to be free. you have to pay for them. don’t expect everyone to cater to your needs. $65 is cheap for childcare. just be grateful you have a sitter

4 Likes

First of all, I wish I had grandparents alive to even meet my child let alone babysit. Second, $65 for three days is cheap and she doesn’t owe you free childcare just because she is your grandma.

8 Likes

I would expect payment . Kids aren’t easy

4 Likes

I can feel your entitlement in my bones, pay the woman and be damn thankful you have her

It’s not her responsibility to watch your child. Yes she should get paid for doing a job.

2 Likes

Probably something you should have agreed on before she started watching him. I watch my grandchildren when they are on school break etc.out of love and the joy of spending time with them and would never expect to be paid. But everyone is different.

Yes. I pay family 270 week to watch 2 of mine.

I watch my grandkids for free but I always paid my grandmother or sister to watch my kids if it was a regular thing so I could work. If they asked to take them I didn’t.

Absolutely!! Whether they ask or not they should be paid. They have to eat and pay bills also. They’re doing you a huge favor when they could be doing anything else.

1 Like

Don’t know if she has a job or how she supports herself (the grandma) in some cases they hardly have enough to get by on from what the government gives them, I would have no issue in giving $20 a day to watch my child, she still needs to feed that child and give that child her time at that not so young age, look at it from a different vantage point why is she asking u and why have u refused for so long that she needs to “DEMAND” from you? Just throwing that out there

1 Like

Yes Yes Yes, I can not believe you would even ask this question. How can you disrespect your Grandmother in this manner.

3 Likes

If she asks for pay you should accept it or dont let her watch your kids. Grandma isnt obligated to watch your child free of charge. Some grandmas will and thats on them.

1 Like

Yes! You should Always offer to pay anyone who watches your child(ren) you cannot expect anyone to take on your responsibility without being offered compensation! Especially if it is a daily/weekly occurrence.

3 Likes

We had “family” watch our son. We paid 500 almost a month which was $3 an hour. Imagine being worth $3 an hour…
Honestly you’re being a bit crazy. One baby sitting session is a nah- that would be a little strange. However her being the weekly/daily caregiver is way different.
Hopefully this is your coming to jesus moment about this :slight_smile:

Is this a serious question?!

She takes time out of her day to watch him. It could easily be more else where.

But he’s with someone and a place where you trust and that’s a big deal!

65 is cheap

My MIL won’t let me pay her lol

You shouldn’t expect free anything from anyone. I know some people say “family does for family” but you are also saving MUCH more in childcare costs than if you sent your child to a public or private daycare. Also, this is grandma’s retirement years. I’m sure she loves her grandchild(ren) but she also is doing you a favor.

1 Like

I pay my mother and I have always paid my mother $100 a week. I’d rather pay her than daycare

Iam a grandma Iam 55 and watching kids is harder the older we are. I watch my grandsons 3 times a week They stay the night on 2 of the nights. I do not get paid cuz my daughter simply can not afford it. I would love to get paid . YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE YOUR GRANDMA . Pay her!

1 Like

That’s up to each person, I personally don’t take money but my son and his wife are very generous in many ways and they do not take advantage of me, home on time and never asked me to stay late so they can go out with friends or to the gym like so many young people do.

1 Like

I mean…my family watches my daughter…for free…because you know…they love her and love to spend time with her. But I can see where she is coming from too and if they asked for me to pay I would make it work.

That’s cheap. Pay the 65

1 Like

I wouldn’t rock the boat. If you think she is charging too much I would find someone else, and just tell her she should be enjoying her retirement not watching kids. If she says I enjoy it say I think he needs to get used to playing with other children. I would never reveal the real reason. It will just cause major family problems. :blush:

Here’s how I see it. Family doesn’t have to watch your child for free, they can decide to have you not pay, which is what I do for my close family, but if they ask for money then you should pay them. She’s old and we don’t know the status of her health. Pay her or make other arrangements.

Pay her. She’s doing you a favor

I’m nosy and now I just want to know who it is that truly feels this entitled? Like you obviously think you’re right so speak up :joy: but all seriousness YES you should have to pay. She may be the grandma but she didn’t make that baby that you can’t afford. It isn’t her job and if it is…jobs pay :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

What if u had to pay a baby sitter ??just get a sitter

I pay $160 a month for those hours.

I have 4 grandchildren and watch them whenever needed and I would never expect to be paid but that’s me!

3 Likes

If I were your grandma and I saw this post, I would be livid with your entitlement attitude. You have your priorities out of order here. You are taking advantage here. $65 is peanuts to pay for a safe home, environment, and the loving care of a grandparent. I see she’s 62, and available probably due to retirement on a limited fixed income. Pony up, you’ve got the better end of the deal by far.

8 Likes

If it makes you livid find someone else, dumbass

Wow… your mom is giving her time to help you and you can’t see it to give a little back? Maybe she’d like a little pocket money of her own … Do you realize how much she saves you ??? Especially knowing your child is safe??? Stop being selfish.

2 Likes

It’s morally wrong, but ethically right to pay up. Grandma has needs too… and FYI daycare is like 120+ A WEEK

2 Likes

Family or not no one is supposed to watch your child & 65$ aint much pay the lady or find someone else

I mean, can you imagine giving up your time, providing a service, then having the nerve to charge for it?! Outrageous. :roll_eyes:

Pay the woman or find a childminder that charges more :woman_shrugging:t3:

Do you really expect her to do it for free just because she is your grandmother? I am sure she has other things she could do with her time. Heck, she could say she isn’t going to do it anymore then your stuck paying high daycare prices rather that your grandmothers 65 a week hell if you do the math say its for 12 hours a week (3 days 4 hours) that’s less than 6 bucks an hour where the hell are you gonna find a babysitter that cheap. Stop feeling so entitled and pay your grandma end of story.

6 Likes

If they request to be paid then absolutely. No one should ever EXPECT free children. Family or not

2 Likes

She is not doing you a favor, she is providing you with safe child care so that you can work worry free. How much do you value your son’s safety? Daycares are a crapshoot at best on the people caring for your child, and there are no guarantees on the other children’s behavior either. Chip the ice off your heart, pry open your wallet, and pay Grandma for the loving care and safety she provides for your child.

Seriously pay the 60 or pay over 200 a week for a different sitter.

Geez someone should pay me for being a stay at home mom if grandparents are getting paid to be grandparents for a few hours. Lol I mean I get it if it’s like 8-5 job every day. I would still offer money, but everyone’s different.

I mean you can pay her or either pay double in child care system :eyes:

1 Like

You should pay someone to watch YOUR child pay her or pay a child care business

2 Likes

Bueno la abuela tambien se cansa y cuidar a un niño de 5 años es una responsabilidad creo que auque la abuela no pidiera 60 se deve compensar mi hija pagaba 800 por 2 niños nadamas por recibirlos del autobus 1 hora ademas abemos abuelas que ya estamos grandes y ya trabajamos mucho o nos duele algo claro adoro a mis nietos no es malo que le aya pedido un dinerito no sabemos tal vez tenga una nesecida mi humilde opinion​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sparkling_heart:

My mother in law watched my kids. I paid her $50/week every week for all the years she watched them. That was the first thing that came out of my paycheck. The grandmother is 62. I’m only 48 & watching my grandkids wears me out, even when they’re well behaved. Pay her. She doesn’t have to babysit.

2 Likes

I pay my mom to watch my daughter.

…what did I just read

4 Likes

that’s her job and 65. dollars is really not a lot of money …daycare would cost you about $125. a week

1 Like

My mum watches my daughter 3 days a week and I pay her $200 not because she ask but because it’s the right thing to do

5 Likes