Should family be paid to babysit?

You dont want to pay family. Take him to day care I am sure it will be much cheaper. I watch my grandbabies I get paid. It isnt much bit it helps an helps me buy the kids stuff

2 Likes

I would just pay , it’s the kind thing to do and she is helping you out. If not fund someone else

2 Likes

Um just pay here you’d be paying a lot more with a regular babysitter or daycare

I would never charge my children for watching my own grandkids. The peace of mind for knowing they are well cared for it enough payment.

3 Likes

Doesn’t it make more sense to pay a family member and know your child is well taken care of? If it bothers you that much, I suggest a day care or other care giver.

2 Likes

If its a money issue maybe compromise.

If you just think she should do it for free then that is very rude … as a mother you should know how much work is put into raising a child

I’d demand it too. Or you can take your little angel to daycare. Girl, BYE. Quit complaining. You’d want to be compensated for your time too. She’s 62 she could be napping and day drinking but she’s watching your kid. Be grateful he can be with family and not with some snot nosed brats. And apologize to your grandma cause I know you said some rude shit to her about paying her too.

Wow. Ungrateful much? 65 ain’t shit. Try and find childcare that’s trustworthy, for less. We’ll wait.

You should realize that she rearranges her own life to help you out. I love my grandchildren and used to keep them a lot in the summer, but the year I was their nanny I got paid, was given a car, and had living accommodations. It was a win- win for me, and for my daughter she didn’t have to worry about daycare and it was cheaper for her.

2 Likes

Nobody owes u anything, not even family. I wouldn’t even ask anyone to watch my kid for free. U made it child u knew what came w it. Besides child care is so much more expensive & who knows what could happen when ur kids w a stranger!

3 Likes

If she needs the funds, pay her. $65 a week is not bad.

Daycare fees full time, looking at 1000/month, minimum.

I paid my mothernlaw every week for keeping my kid. Babysitting is hard work even if it is grandparents keeping them daycare is triple that

1 Like

You should pay her. I pay my family to watch my kids. I don’t have a set amount with my mom but when she asks for money I give it to her. Your child might be easy to watch but your grandmother is probably feeding him, entertaining him, etc and that is 2-4 hours of her day she could be doing something else. At her age she’s probably on a fixed income making less than you anyways.

$60 ain’t shit when daycares want 200+ for 2-4 hrs…

Finally a subject that has grandma rights. Grandma wants paid then pay her. If she dont be grateful. As a Grandma I gladly sit with my grandchildren for free . I also just go get them for no reason other than to spend time with them. On the other hand if keeping my grands becomes my job I would expect paid. Sixty five dollars is peanuts and odds are Grandma would spend it on the kids anyway. I would.

1 Like

Its morally wrong cz i wouldnt ask for any payment myself if i had my kids kids… but like everyone else is saying it is alot more money if you pay a childminder so it depends on alot really xx cz she should have asked for money out right cant just suddenly demand it it should have been said and sorted prior to the care x

She already raised her kids, she doesn’t want to raise yours for free. Pay her :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Original poster should be embarrassed by this question.

7 Likes

If shes watching ur child that much then yes u should pay. Also shes probably on a limited income. Stop being cheap

3 Likes

Just pay or get another sitter simple az

4 Likes

My two daughters each pd. me 50 cents an hr. when theirs were a newborn and a one yr. old. Not much, but it helped them and gave this Nanny a little spending money. Of course, this was 35 yrs. ago.

1 Like

Why are you talking advantage of your family member? Don’t like her price go elsewhere, I am sure it will be double that. Being well behaved is great, hates off to you but that doesn’t make rates cheaper.

3 Likes

My sister watches my daughter and I don’t pay her weekly because I can’t BUT when I get my taxes back you best bet she gets a good amount from it. I wouldn’t trust my daughter anywhere else. She feeds her with her own money, she buys her things here and there, she gives me peace of mind. Consider your other options, I highly doubt they’d be that good.

2 Likes

Your grandma does not have to watch your kid, but she’s doing it anyway. She isn’t out of line for asking you to pay her and doing so would be the right thing to do. Don’t take it for granted. There are people who don’t have family to watch their kids and have to pay high day care prices. Last year I paid nearly $12,000 in day care tuition for one child because I don’t have family that can help.

4 Likes

Pay her by the hour if you don’'t like the weekly $65? But 2 -4 hours you could use extra hours for shopping until you pick up your son. Sometimes easier to shop without a child with you. Child care isn’t cheap. Maybe check others for costs to watch your son and weigh it out.

Yes you should be paying her. You would be paying way more somewhere else for some RANDOM person to watch your child. You should be thankful she is willing to take the time out of her day to help you when she doesn’t have to. A lot of parents don’t have that help from family.

3 Likes

It’s 3 days a week every week pay her! It’d be different if it was once a month to go out

I don’t pay my mom to watch my kids but everything is covered. She lives with us and she doesn’t pay for anything unless she wants to. So it’s a trade.

2 Likes

Wow, sounds entitled. Yes she should be paid. She’s sacrificing her time to care for your child so you can work. Is her time not valuable to you? I think that is beyond fair pricing to.

I watched both my granddaughters for my daughter.Never took a penny. I loved having them.It never crossed my mind to charge.

Wow… how entitled you are! Great grandma should be enjoying her retirement and not watching your child. You’d be paying 3-4x this amount to have a stranger watch him at a daycare. Be grateful!

1 Like

My mom wouldn’t babysit my kids. My oldest daughter pays my youngest daughter when she watches her nephew. However, I babysit grandkids for free. I see it as time I get to spend with them that I otherwise wouldn’t have had

I have my Grandson Monday thru Friday 6-3:30ish. Mommy drops him off and picks him up. Daddy (my son) pays my phone bill and they do treat me to dinners and other things All the Time!!! No set pay. My husband and myself discussed me quitting my job and staying home with our grandbaby… I, of course I have ZERO problems with this. It keeps the kiddo out of daycare and home where Mamaw can spoil him rotten! I wouldn’t have it any other way!! I would do it for free, but that is just me. I know he’s safe and fed and loved right here with me! Now do I appreciate the phone bill and other the other things they do for me… yes. 65.00 a week… honey pay it. She’s worth it! And knowing your baby is safe and loved…priceless.

4 Likes

I mean you could go pay a daycare substantially more to watch your son if you’d prefer?

2 Likes

Pay or find day care

Yes you shoud pay and all ways remind her how much help she is not leaving your baby with just any bady

1 Like

My grandma watches my son, and I try to give her some spending money, gas money, and just random gifts and food when I can. Yes, she’s helping you, you need to help her, too!

2 Likes

I was paid to watch my sisters kids

Yes pay her!!
it shouldn’t buggy you to spend $65 a week on your child!!
I would pay a hell of a lot more for a good sitter!!

2 Likes

I’ve offered to pay people to watch mine and even family but I can’t get anyone to without charging more than I would make an hour working. At least you have family willing to At least help with babysitting, unlike me and mine we have absoultly no one that will help even getting paid.

Wow. Do you think someone will do it for free? Do you think you’re owed her giving up HER time?
Easy kid or not she’s 62 years old & going out of her way to help you, APPRECIATE IT.
🤦
Damn. Entitled much?

7 Likes

Pay her, you are getting your child watched my your family ,not a stranger with a bunch of other kids at a daycare. It is still a job. You’ll be paying more to someone else if she decides to quit.

I feel like it was kind of unfair for you to expect her to watch your kid for free. Especially if she is doing it on a regular basis. She should be paid for it. Unless of course you wanna find someone who will expect more than that. Or even day care which could be triple that.

3 Likes

It’s not even about the money it’s about your heart…are you grateful for what she’s doing for you? Are you thankful everyday that your child is being cared for and loved on by someone you trust…if you have a grateful and thankful heart you wouldn’t have to post about this … you would just do it …she shouldn’t even have to ask… <3

3 Likes

Grandma could be doing other things, instead of spending her time watching your kid. The fact that she does so, in no way diminishes the value of what she does for you and your child. Consider how much it would cost at daycare, or a babysitter. You are very lucky that a family member is willing to step up. $65 is cheap. I would pay that, AND bring the old gal some kind of treat or gift, once a week , to show appreciation.

9 Likes

If you dont like it you can take him to a daycare and pay 2 to 3 times that. She is a great grandmother!! She is not obligated to you. Besides maybe she needs some financial help herself.

2 Likes

Pay it or you’ll be paying daycare 120+ a week. Your choice. You sound entitled.

4 Likes

6-12 hours a week isn’t much. I don’t think she’s entitled to the money. She’s family.

2 Likes

Is this a real question? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wish all I had to pay was 65.00 a week. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I always paid my gma when she babysat even tho she told me not to. I paid her and bought her and my gpa groceries every month. How lucky u are to still have ur gma around. Pay her the dang money and be grateful!! I would do anything to have my gma back with me.

4 Likes

My sister and I don’t pay each other because we trade off but my aunt I went and stocked her up on food because that’s what she asked for lol

1 Like

That’s only 4.65 cents an hour!

1 Like

At 12 hours a week that’s only $5 a hour can’t beat that an you know he is safe with family~

2 Likes

Uh. Yeah. What kinda greedy person are you?!

1 Like

Absolutely. Your family is not responsible for your kid. You chose to have it so you pay to have it watched. Don’t want to pay them stay home. 65 a week is a bargain and your ungrateful. Try paying full price for a month or two and you would be kissing your grandma ass begging her to watch your kid again. When did people become so entitled

You can’t expect anyone to watch your kid for free. And $65 a week is not shit compared to what average child care costs. She’s giving you a break, doing you a favor. You should be thanking her.

Mine never charged me. It was their time with their grandkids. I wont be charging to see my own flesh and blood either when I get to look after mine while my kids work/ go out etc.

1 Like

My little one is watched by her grandfather amd even though he tells me to not pay him. (He feels that i shouldnt have to pay him to watch his grandbaby) i will buy him what he aaks for and even bring him things he hasnt asked for because he is watching her. I am a believer that if they arent watching them for a little while (like if you need to go run errands or have a job interview) i believe that you should pay them. It doesnt matter if it is family, they are taking time from their day to watch your child(ren) that doesnt mean that they have to do it for free. Even if they are family.

2 Likes

Most don’t want to be paid but it does take time out of her life and it isn’t free to care for any child so it isn’t unreasonable to pay her.

2 Likes

I pay my nieces and my kids aunts (who don’t have kids) to watch my kids. I would never pay my mom unless she didn’t work, was retired and needed the help. Plus my mom would never accept money.

I truly believe that all depends and that should have been discussed prior to the babysitting my mom would never charge me but she also doesn’t watch her everyday I guess the way I look at it is at least you have family watching your child versus day care and day care I wouldn’t want to pay those prices

1 Like

Lol ridiculous to think that someone should watch your babe for free, especially multiple times a week. I would tell ya to take him somewhere else if you weren’t willing to pay me for my time, 3 days a week is a sitter not a family helping out randomly.

4 Likes

Whoever sent this in, man… talk about greedy and self loathing. Pay your grandma mr krabs.

7 Likes

Yes pay your grandmother. Just because its family do u think u get a free ride in free daycare services. Omg. A little entitled much!
I paid my mom to watch my daughter from the time she was 4 mos to 5 yrs old. I work full time and paid her $150-$200 a wk. Nothing in life is free. It would be nice but no. I dont understand your attitude, you’re livid b/c someone wants to get paid for a service they are providing U. U need the help yet u mad about it. Ugh. Grow up. :smirk:

2 Likes

Price is kinda steep for 3 days. 2 to 4 hours. Gotta love your family. Maybe she need the $

1 Like

That is cheap for taking care of your kids!

1 Like

I used to watch all three of my grandchildren and i never received a dime nor did I expect one. I did it to help my kids out because I knew they couldn’t afford daycare. Seems kinda greedy to me since she gets to spend valuable time with her grandchild.

2 Likes

Give your Grandma a break. She needs money too. Stop taking advantage of family

4 Likes

I would pay from my side. I have always paid when someone was watching my son.

1 Like

Girl pleeze, no 1 owes u anything, family included…if u wanna babysit 4free dats kool, but dem ur kids…welcome to the real world dear…u gotta pay 2play…granny time ain’t free…she could b out twrerking and doing the mash potatoe , but she helpn u by watching yo kids…bye felisha

4 Likes

As a grandma who watches my granddaughter 5 days a week 9 hour days I receive 160.00 a month and that money is a whole lot less than I spend on her with outings clothing food. Be grateful if she’s watching your child grandmas do it out of love not necessity a grandma’s love is priceless

3 Likes

She is his great grandmother!!! Yes, you should have to pay. At least when I had kids me nor my wife got the “family is obligated to watch children free of charge” papers SMH people really think like this???

3 Likes

Grandma’s are Not free babysitters! They deserve to be paid just like everyone else,although I do think $65 is a bit too much, $50 would be more reasonable If you are telling the truth of the hours she is watching him.

2 Likes

Wow…I have my grandchild 3 days a week…7.30am till 5pm…I don’t expect my daughter to pay me…I look at as a helping hand. That is my choice, she isnt on a big wage so it wouldn’t be feasible for her to pay me. She comes over and cleans and does stuff for me that I can’t manage to do…we are both greatful for each others help👍

3 Likes

Yes, he has all the love from that grandmother which he won’t get at a daycare. Plus it helps your grandmother to get the extras food extra the little one may need.

2 Likes

Would you go to work and not get paid. That is what you are asking of her. It takes her time a d energy to do this.

1 Like

I personally have never been able to take money from my children to spend time with my grandbabies…they have offered and I refuse

Paid for watching him regularly yes but the demands part would bother me too.
My mom was originally (just to save $) but she expected us to pay $300-400 every 2 weeks with my oldest. 3 days a week about 6 hours and me driving an extra 2 hours a day. :scream: we said no (which we didn’t really want her to) since it would be cheaper having him in daycare

So that’s what about 5$ per hour on average if she has him for 4 hours per day/3 days per week…in the UK you’d be hard pressed to find someone who will look after your kid for that amount of money per hour… I think the issue here and let’s be honest is that she’s family and therefore it should be free … No. I would expect to pay my siblings if I needed childcare at least to cover food costs and any activities costs if they declined the payments

2 Likes

Asking for payment is fair. Your lucky to even have someone watch your child for that price …

5 Likes

I get she may need the money but it would be cheaper to send him to family daycare if you were using family to save money

2 Likes

If she can afford it shame on her if she can not help her out alittle but if this all she spends with sad

I have always watch my grandkids for free .that is our time together .and my kids help me out went I need help with things .I would never changer for keep my grandkids there my life

Hello I am a Grandma of three boys one a 11 yrs old and twins 10 …my daughter needed help watching them when all were born to work…anywhere from 1 to 5 days week…I’m home fix income that extra cash helped me,yes I at times I would spend it in them hell yea there my babies too…if you are that selfish and want things for free…your looking In The wrong place…an offer would Have been a little cheaper then nothing at all…$20.to $50 would be offered to me my first words are do you need them are you ok…she said "yes mom " those word ment more to me then money.i would save it if anything gas money cuz she take me to stores and doctors when I had extra out to eat just me and my daughter time…and pizzas for the boys… lol…grow up and offer her something…she won’t be here for ever and the children will remember Grandma even more…mine told me "Grandma your the best and LOVE your flour tortillas…see just that is love…My daughter us Jennifer L Ramirez she posted above…

3 Likes

You don’t get to have expectations for free childcare unfortunately. None of my family bats an eye at the odd day here and there but if I were to require scheduled weekly care it would be different and I would absolutely pay what they were asking. You would pay a daycare if she wasn’t willing to watch him so you have to decide if you would rather he spend time with her and pay her or put him in daycare because you refuse to pay. Either way costs you

5 Likes

If I could pay myself for looking after my own kids I would lol. They are hard work even the easiest ones, don’t take the fact she is your grandma for granted, he is your child not hers. If you dont like it pay for childcare

4 Likes

I still live with my mom and she doesn’t get paid to watch my son. I pay my bfs 17year old sister if she watches my son.

She’s only getting paid 7.22 an hour give or take. I think that’s fair. Grandmothers aren’t free babysitters. They should be paid something

3 Likes

I feel like she is probably needing that money to help make ends meet. I also think if you didn’t need but the 2 hours on certain days that would give you an hour or two here and there or stock them up for a date night I’m sure she’d be willing. Your best bet would be to pay her. Most daycares won’t let you just pay for 2-4 hours and a couple days a week. Plus you will likely be spending alot less time at dr.s and missing some of the time you do work. Your son has a fever? Guess what he can’t go back to daycare for 24 hours and now you don’t have Grandma to make him soup while he rests. Germs go around those places like crazy.

1 Like

For a grandma to help out once in a while I wouldn’t probably pay them. But for scheduled days every week I absolutely would. She is paying to feed the child etc. and no one is entitled to free daycare.

9 Likes

Could never charge for watching grandkids ,they offered to pay however

My mother in law watch’s our two kids one is 3 and the other is 8 weeks. She changes us 450 a month which I am not happy about because my mom would do it for free but she lives an hour and a half away so she can’t but we have no other choice so unfortunately we have to pay. We can’t afford the 1,200 in daycare.

2 Likes

Yes you should absolutely pay her if she wants you to. My mom and sister kept mine until school. I tried to pay them and they wouldn’t let me.

2 Likes

I paid my mom 150 every week.

2 Likes

My mother helps with my kids on the weekends when daycare is closed and we have to work, and doesn’t ask for compensation. I have offered, and she refuses. If she asked me to pay her, I would, but I know it wouldn’t be a lot. I’m forever grateful to her for the help, and I feel better that my kids are in a safe place, with someone that loves them. That’s why I would pay if she asked.

2 Likes

I believe it is a privilege to watch grandchildren plus that is the most precious quality time with them. Babysat 2 of my grandchildren when they were small and loved it. My grandson and l baked muffins a lot lol when he was 2

It’s not necessarily wrong that she wants to be paid, though I think $65 is a bit much, but I honestly would be a little insulted. My mom won’t take money my money when I offer it, and neither will my aunt and uncle who my son considers grandparents. They do it because they enjoy spending time with him. It’s not a chore to them.

I used to pay my grandma 100 each week when she would watch my girls. I was completely fine with it and grateful because I know it would be expensive elsewhere

1 Like

How well behaved your child is does NOT matter!!! It is your child not hers, $65 a week is a bargain. You are paying her for her time during which she has to be responsible for the care of YOUR child.

18 Likes