Should I ask for money or just quit?

I need advice!! I currently watch a relative’s two children with another on the way! I love them dearly, but I’m starting to feel like I’m being taken advantage of. I work about 30 hours a week, sometimes more. I clean the house, feed them, ECT. I receive $400 a month, and when you break it down, it’s less than $4 an hour. I’ve had to turn down job offers because the schedule conflicts with watching the kids. I intend to get an evening job, but they aren’t always home by 5, making things very difficult to do so. My question is, what would y’all do? Would you ask for more money or let them know you can no longer do it? Once the third baby gets here, the workload will double, and the pay is already not worth it. Help me lol.

32 Likes

I’d look for a regular job. Heck now you have great nanny and child care experience and in a time when individual child care is a booming market. If they can pay you what you can earn in childcare great. If not theres better opportunities

10 Likes

They won’t know how you feel about the compensation if you don’t tell them. If it were me, I’d lay out my case and indicate that you need a living wage and totally understand if they can’t offer that, but you’ll need to take other work if that is the case. I’m not sure how they are going to find anyone for under $15 per hour for two kids, an infant, housecleaning, cooking, etc.

13 Likes

You helped out as much as you could. But you know your worth and the one thing you know and feel is that they aren’t paying you more. Speak to them and if they don’t raise the price then that’s fine just let them know when you find a job that you can no longer watch them. Because you need to look out for yourself as well.

4 Likes

They HAVE to know that won’t pay your rent, Let alone groceries… That is not even minimum wage… Daycare centers charge that for one child for one week. You have to let them know …

3 Likes

We’ve been duped again. This is a post from August 2020. I thought these reposts stopped? Or is Mamas Uncut just using really old popular posts so they get the traffic through the page?

7 Likes

At this point, you love your relative dearly and it seems like you’re putting their needs before yours. You still need a liveable wage to pay bills, etc.

At some point you need to yourself and family first.

3 Likes

That’s not a job! I’d move on. They’re tanning advantage of you 100%. Don’t feel bad!

U should be making triple the money!!

1 Like

Quit unless you demand a good pay increase

Just tell them your going to have to look for alternative work unless they can accommodate your needs. $4 an hour is absolutely laughable!

4 Likes

I think you need to sit down and talk to them and let them know its getting to be to much you just can’t do it for such little pay unless you know it’s to be stopping in a short time frame otherwise you can’t keep working for nothing

You need to sit down and tell them that it’s time for you to find work elsewhere. No one can survive on $400 a month, they know that. They’re saving a fortune by only paying you $400! Im currently staying home right now with my daughter because daycare was 1,200 a month! That’s for one child.
Not only are you watching these kiddos, you’re cleaning the house too. They’re family, so you wanna be nice about it too, good luck!

5 Likes

Tell them straight out you need more money and they are preventing you from working a second job, so if they can’t compensate you then you’re going to have to quit. Daycare or having a nanny isn’t cheap. So if they can’t afford to pay you accordingly then that’s not your problem.

2 Likes

Daycare is more than $400 a month for one child. I’d ask and if they say no quit.

Know your worth and don’t let anybody breach that. People are really selfish these days.

1 Like

Speak up hun! They could be completely open to paying you more! Tell them your situation! :heart::heart:

Ask for more $ or tell them you’re considering getting a job because the amount your making is not an amount you can live off of. Maybe they’ll just offer you more ?
I pay $250 per week to a family member to take care of my 2 toddlers. She only wanted $40 a day but I know that she deserves more so I decided on paying $50/day. However she does take care of my 8 year old daughter at no charge and I also send food/snacks/drinks for my kids.

I would quit babysitting. They are not paying enough to interfere with a job that does.

3 Likes

Two kids plus housekeeping is worth at least $15 and hour. Quit and find a job where they respect you and pay you what you’re worth.

5 Likes

I pay a daycare 90 a week for one child

It was $120-$135 a week for one of my kids to go preschool. I have three so yea I’d ask for more money

I assume you agreed to that amount for 2. However I would use the new baby to open a discussion to an increase in pay.

2 Likes

You are so under paid it’s unbelievable, I know someone that watches a 2 year old more than 30 hours a week and makes 300 a week

Family will take advantage of you quicker than anyone else in this world. Speak up, know your worth, and do what is best for YOU

1 Like

Tell them that you need more money or you will have to quit and find something else.

My niece gets 400 a week doing the same. You should deffinantly talk to them about more money or you’ll have to find a job that pays better. Especially adding a new baby into the mix.

1 Like

That’s 100 a week for in home nanny… NOPE!! Try around 400 a week or go get a job that will get u that!! You are being taken advantage of!!

2 Likes

The pay does sound low but the way you worded it I’m wondering do you live there? What’s the whole situation? Food utilities etc…

3 Likes

I would just say you have to go get a real good paying job :woman_shrugging:t3: If they on their own -want to match pay, let them. I doubt they will. People like to take advantage of others. They are basically paying you $400 a month to be a full time private in home nanny. That’s outrageous!!! You should be making $15-20 AN HOUR!!!

When my kids were in daycare/preschool, it was $30 a day & had to pack a lunch to equal $600/month.

Now if we need a babysitter, my boyfriend & I discussed $8-$10/hour for a 14yr old. In 3 days at 20hours I’ll be giving her around $200, & we don’t make that much, but we CARE about our children & our friends daughter. That’s water, electric, food, drinks & anything else that they’re using up.

My brother on the other hand I watched his 3 kids for 3 months & only got $241. Nip it in the butt or have them pay more!

1 Like

I pay $450-500 weekly 9-3pm for someone to watch my babies (toddler and 9 month old). ABSOLUTELY NOT! You need to speak up and let them know you will not be taken advantage of. You are way more valuable than $400/monthly! Most importantly you have your pregnancy and health to worry about and when the baby is here. Especially if you are needing a steady job and they can’t commit to times to help you back, then you need to :v:t3: out!

1 Like

You need more money or you need to tell them sorry you found another job ! That’s crazy!!! Don’t let them take advantage of you!

1 Like

If you want to stay working for them definitely ask for more money and when they say no, quit. Do not sell yourself short hun

I was getting paid $200 a month to watch my newborn baby niece since birth. Literally the day she came home they couldn’t handle her and would have me watch her from 8pm-4am so they could sleep. When my brothers wife started working I watched her from 9pm-6pm the next day, (mom would come home and didn’t talk to me for another hr while she showered and got time to herself while I watched the baby) and then she would bathe her and give her to me again so I can sleep her since she had “work” the next day. I had to clean a house, wash my dishes and my sons along with my brother and wife’s dishes as well. Clean up after their dog shit, make sure my kids where fed and my brother and his wife where fed as well. Whenever I got paid I would waste it on groceries for me, my two kids, my brother and his wife. So I literally made nothing of money, they hated my kids and were rude to them, was depressed I was a horrible mother to my kids. I was also pregnant at the beginning of getting to my brothers house, ended in a miscarriage during November and I had explained to my sister in law what happened she never said I’m sorry all she said was if I was still coming back to watch her newborn daughter and if I wasn’t she would cut me out of her life and make my brother never speak to me again. It was the most depressing time of my life, and I had to endure this cause I had no home. The home I was living in was being sold and every week more lies would come up as to why it wasn’t sold yet and then had to wait till I could find a house still. I was there from Oct- February. I had no where to go, and that’s when we started to hear about Covid and I was terrified to leave. One day I had enough and grew the courage to buy a plane ticket for me and the kids and leave. Gave them a week notice, my brothers wife did not speak to me or ever said thank you for everything. She took about 3 months to speak to me again. And now she will say that SHE has done everything by herself since my niece was born. Now that I moved closer to my other brother… it’s happening again, it seems like they all just dump their kids on me because they can’t handle them and this time I don’t get paid whatsoever it was worse before he would leave them daily and expect me to feed them breakfast, lunch and dinner and pick them up around 9pm daily, and would call me lazy If I didn’t have enough energy since I had to watch 4 kids in total, which his kids are rude and disrespectful and never listen to me. If I were you I’d leave, the stress and now adding a newborn for $400 is not enough. You need to think about yourself, you have offered so much to them already but you are being taken advantage of.

Heck when I had only my 2 girls going to daycare I paid close to $600 every 2 weeks AND if I was 10 or 15 minutes late, it was $15 EXTRA I had to pay! You’re definitely being taken advantage of. I’d tell them you need more money or your done!

I would first tell them where you are at with that. You either need them to pay more money and be fair to you or you can no longer watch their kiddos

Give your notice NOW and if you are offered a paying job somewhere else TAKE IT

Your job does not revolve around their lives. It is their responsibility to find childcare. When you’re available that’s great but for when you’re unavailable it’s their problem not yours.

That is not enough!!! Tell them you need to find another position with more pay. Look out for yourself. But give a two week notice please.

I think you need to drink a cup of concrete and carry on! nothing is free in life!

Just tell them what’s goin on with u financially totally understandable

Girl. Your TIME is worth something! This is your decision. If you already feel unappreciated, it’s gonna get a hell of a lot worse. The question you should ask yourself is, is it worth throwing your time into this when you could be contributing to your own financial freedom. Your answer is probably no. Tell them you’re actively looking for a job, and they should actively be looking for other childcare arrangements, since you intend on starting as soon as you’re hired by an employer. If they ask why, tell the truth! The pay isn’t worth the work you’re doing.

So I would suggest talking to them bc obviously at some point that amount must have been agreed upon by both parties. Maybe that was with only 1 child or maybe not but 3 children, 1 being a newborn and cleaning on top of it you are most definitely underpaid. I would come up with what you think is fair and if they don’t agree and you can’t come to a reasonable amount together then I would put in your notice and find something else. I would also establish your work hours and let them know that without a couple weeks notice that you cannot stay later than that into the evening. We have family watch our child and they are paid almost double what you are for a similar amount of time and I take my child to them so there is no additional work required other than feeding her the meals I send for breakfast and lunch. If I ever need my child to stay later I let them know as far in advance as possible and if they can’t keep her then I have to make other arrangements.

I would ask for 900 a month. Even that is under what you are worth. Let’s see there getting peace of mind that there kids are with a relative save and loved. Also 1 on the way a baby to add. 900 a month not a penny less. They want get nobody for less 1 of them needs to quit there job and having kids if you can’t give them the best care possible and you my dear are giving them that you should not even have to ask. There taking advantage of the situation. How old are the kids? Do you live with them if so u don’t say but even if you live with them that should pay you 700 a month period. But I would give them the opportunity to first before you quit. Nothing wrong with not letting anyone take advantage of you even if your related. Your more valuable than you think.