Should I be concerned about my daughters weight?

I just recently had my third child 4 months ago. She is my very first daughter, I have two boys. I feel as if she’s a little smaller than my boys were as babies. I’m exclusively breast feeding. I know that she gets plenty to eat because she’s not acting hungry all the time, she unlatches herself when she’s done and if I feel like she’s not done I always burp her and offer the other side. My reasoning for this post is because my mother keeps making comments about how skinny she is and that she’s worried about her weight. I haven’t necessarily been worried about bc I know she’s eating but I start to get into my head about how maybe she’s not getting enough to eat and that she’s starving. Has anyone else’s baby been “skinny”

5 Likes

Talk to the pediatrician and tell other people to mind their business. 

7 Likes

Being skinny doesnt mean anything at that age. What matters is her weight gain and curve/percentile for her age and length …

As long as her growth is tracking upwards on her charts thats what matters

7 Likes

If her pediatrician isn’t concerned I wouldn’t worry really. The bigger picture is if she’s growing on a nice “curve”, so is she continously growing in both weight and height, even if it’s at a slower pace than some. I have a petite daughter who continues to grow on her own curve but is MUCH smaller than typical kids her age. Our doctor isn’t worried as long as she’s growing and looks healthy.

5 Likes

My 3 year old just now has hit the “growth charts” in the doctors office. Both my kids are small. She is 3 but wears 18-24 month and 2t clothes. She’s a healthy little girl and the doctors are not worried…
And she’s 4 months ago, not all babies are chunky. I strictly breastfed my girl and she stayed skinny. Even though everyone said breastfed babies are usually big. Nope, not all.
Let what others say go through one ear and out the other.

Unless your DOCTOR is concerned, politely tell your mother that YOUR child is just fine.

1 Like

I had two boys both breastfeed, one was a chunky monkey while the other was much Slimer! As long as her Dr has no worries I wouldn’t worry!

As long as she’s having wet/poop diapers I wouldn’t be concerned.

Without height and weight, or lengthen weight kind of impossible to answer this but if your pediatrician isn’t concerned then you shouldn’t be concerned. Every baby and body type is different. Boys versus girls are also different.

It is normal for babies to lose weight after birth before they gain weight. Because of the excess fluids and water weight build up that happens during birth.

I had boys my brother has girls my boys were on the bigger side like 9 10 lb my nieces are on the 5 lb range.

My boys lost a whole pound within their two week checkup and the doctors were worried. With the first one so we supplemented formula. 10 pounds dropped to 8.5 pounds.

They were still in normal weight range for their length and after another week they were back to normal exclusively breastfed mostly we supplemented with formula with the first one second one wasn’t too really worried about it because we’ve been through that before didn’t supplement and he gained back normally with him 2 to 3 days. I hope this helps put your mind at ease if the doctor is not concerned.

Your Mom is looking for an overfed chunky baby. People used to praise those who put cereal in bottles or doubled up on formula. It just makes them fat. Whilst there is nothing wrong with a naturally chubby baby, there is nothing wrong with a slim one. Just make sure she’s latching on properly to get the hind milk.

Oh and mine grew from skinny baby to perfect 50th percentile child…

Females compared to boys generally on average much smaller in general. Exclusively breastfeeding also tends to have naturally smaller babies. Every baby will be different and look differently. What matters is if she is tending upwards. I have 3 girls all grew differently. “Looking skinny.” Has nothing to do with health. The general rule of thumb most doctors go with is if she is close or has tripled her birth weight by 1st birthday and if she has an upward trend in growth on each assessment. My last baby is breastfeed she was 7 pds 3 ounces at birth and has always appeared tall and lanky she is now 17 months and a little under 23 pounds. She still gets breastmilk but is very much healthy and eats a very colorful and widely nutritious diet.

She’s a baby. Tell your mom to stop criticizing your baby or she will lose the privilege of seeing her grandkids. Your mom is so wrong on so many levels and this is something that you NEED to and HAVE to address it now because as your daughter gets older your mom will say something and she’s going to hear it and it could affect her more than you realize. My son was a skinny baby literally he was on the lowest for weight percentile of boys his age and was until he reached about 4th grade.

Both of my babies were skinny. They were fed breast milk and formula and were both in the lower weight margins. Every child is different. If your pediatrician isn’t concerned don’t worry about it. Keep doing what you’re doing and tell your mom to hush.

1 Like

Ever baby is different, and most girls are typically smaller than girls. If she’s getting plenty to eat, and her dr is not concerned, you shouldn’t be either momma. Some people need to learn not to comment on other peoples children, family or not. If she’s growing at a normal/good rate and on the right path with her growth chart she should be okay 🫶🏻

My two boys were big from birth. My daughter arrived and she was skinny. They are all grown up now the boys are 6’4 &6’5 my skinny little daughter is 5’4.
Looking at my parents, my mother was 5 foot my aunts were tiny. Of 9 girls in my family the smallest is 5 foot and I’m the tallest at 5’8

If she’s growing and her doctor is not worried, then you are doing good mama. Not all babies are chunky. And that’s okay. Keep doing you!

My son was like that, at 3 months I started alternating formula and breast milk and he finally got bigger.

Listen to your pediatrician. If your pediatrician isn’t worried, don’t worry. Kids come in different shapes and sizes and no 2 kids are the same. As long as she’s growing, she’s fine.

4 Likes

Well mine were all different but unless your pediatrician is saying something about weight tell her she’s perfect and to stop.

My youngest was a long skinny baby and she now a tall skinny 12 yr old Dr. Was concerned and gave pedia sure but still didn’t gain much and she did eat.but she healthy as can be.

If your pediatrician is not worry , you should not be neither , babies are different so stop the comparison for your own sake.

Keep doing what you are doing. Yippee for you for Breast feeding! As a grandma, we tend to be worriers! Just remind your mom, lovingly, that your baby is fine, & healthy.

As a M/B RN, if she is eating well, peeing & pooping. She is fine. Usually babies double their birth wt by 6 months & triple by a yr.
My kids started eating applesauce & cereal within a month of birth ,( 53 & 51 yrs old now)
My daughter wasn’t chubby but she was thin. And back in then her pediatrician would yell at me because she wasn’t fat/ chubby, but she gain weigh normally. And she was never sick. Which is what I told him …then I switched Dr’s!!. All babies are different. As long as your baby is eating well & peeing & pooping, don’t worry

1 Like

And instead of listening to your mother and from the Dr you choose to ask this from strangers??

My daughter was a lb smaller than my boys at birth, my oldest boy was 6.14, my daughter 5.8 and my youngest boy 6.8.
My daughter is still smaller than both of her brothers.
I wouldn’t worry as long as she’s eating good, going to the bathroom regularly and overall healthy.

All 3 of my babies were like baby birds lol. Not even a little rolly. Skinny babies.

My grandson is super skinny compared to most babies but he is perfect and growing fine he is just long and thin just like his dad was is all. He eats like it’s going out of style but barely has 1 chin muchless 2… no worries around here. Where u a petite child or where others on either side of family