Should I be concerned that doctors think my 9-month-olds head is big?

Yesterday was my sons 9 month check up (although he is 10 months) & anyways the doctor measured his head at I think 47 cm! My question is they want to do an ultrasound on his head to see if something may be wrong, but the doctor seems to think that he may just naturally have a big head & didn’t seem to worried but of course naturally I’m scared. I don’t see a big head when I look at him nor does anyone else so this is news to me? My question is has this happened to any other mommas? Was your child ok? Should I be concerned? I’m freaking out )) ;

11 Likes

Everyone says my son has a big head and his pediatrician measured him and says his head circumference is in the 90th percentile but I think his head looks normal to me

Try not to freak out. Some kids just have big heads! My son is 8 weeks old and at his one month appointment he was in 4% for his height, 8% for his weight and 85% for his head.

1 Like

My 8 month olds head is in the 95th percentile for his age. I think some kids just have big heads, that they eventually will grow into. :joy:

Nothing to worry about my child is 5 years old and is perfectly healthy. Same thing happened to me having an usually large head. The doctors just check how he is growing.

Most boys have big heads!!!

1 Like

Better safe then sorry but it’s probably fine

Let them do their test but i wouldnt worry. My three brothers have huge heads and they were all good

My son’s head didn’t even measure on the charts it was so large. He’s a very normal 9 year old and has grown into his head :laughing:

I have craniosynostsis and it causes big heads or misshaped. And they do a ct scan not an ultra sound… I have 5 boys teo both with big heads but not my condition. . but as we did the ct scan on my second youngest we found a brain tumor . so glad the doctor requested a scan for genetic s or we wouldnt have found it till it was late

My sons head was HUGE.
Looked like a big ol pumpkin.
Seriously.
People would follow us in the store.
Women came up to the buggy.
Said OMG your son has the biggest head I’ve ever seen.
Oh I didn’t mean that in a bad way.
He is GORGEOUS.

He looked like Charlie Brown.

He grew into his head.
He’s a big boy now.
And he’s still GORGEOUS.

AND he was tested.
The doctor said he needed that big fat head to hold that big fat brain.

At 18 months he tested at Superior intelligence.

PRAYING this is what’s happening with your sweet baby.

2 Likes

My brother has a huge head and his daughter did as well. They ran tests on her and she was just fine. I wouldn’t stress it. Stress can make you sick, and rub off on others around you.

My son has a big head, was off the charts when he was a baby. He had an ultrasound done at like 10-12 months. They just want to make sure there’s not too much fluid in his head. Don’t worry too much

Babies usually just have to grow into their heads. My son had a big head when he was a baby and is completely normal now.

Both my kids heads are/were extremely large they’re fine.

Most of the time it’s nothing but better to be safe and make sure

they measure heads etc as there can be a number of medical issues that cause heads to èither be large or grow rapidly. my daughter was a premmie baby and she had hydrocephalus due to a bleed. which they monitored regular measurements etc and she needed surgery.
my friends son had a big head and had scans but was competely fine no problems at all.
gyess what im trying to say is try not to worry, they are just making sure ur babe is healthy and happy xx

My son had a big head. :slight_smile: We had all the proper test done and he was fine.

My daughters head was always almost off the chart. Compared to her 25th percentile body :joy: she eventually evened out.

My sons head was off the charts big. We were sent to a pediatric neurologist who took one look at him and could tell it was just natural. No tests were run. Look at people in your family. If you see big heads, it’s likely just genetic. If he is having issues with milestones or any neurological issues it may be cause for concern as in some instances rapid head growth can be due to water on the brain. Everything is likely just fine.

Nah… My child is 5 and smart and healthy. Her head was 95th percentile! She grew into it though.

my son has a big head, when he was first born the Dr was concerned at first. he inherited from his dad, lol. any way if the Dr isn’t concerned I wouldn’t be either. prayers for comfort mama, breathe.

Guess my son has a large head too, he was just at his 9 month and was 46cm

My son had a big head until he was like 7 or 8 lol he looked like a bobble head in grade primary lol

My son had to have surgery because he had a fused bone in the front they found that out through how big his soft spot was. Be positive mama. I know it’s hard believe me I know, but it could probably be normal. Hang in there!

They did it to my daughter and she was fine they did an ultrasound. They do it now because the soft spot closes after a year and is smaller

It be okay my so. Has hydrocephalus and is doing well

My son was a preemie. 4 weeks early. His head measured small. When i moved back home from Tx to Az, i took him to my doctor, i kept telling doctors in Tx his head was small and soft spot as big around as my little finger. They wouldnt listen. My doctor at home listened to me. Measured his head. Had a full skull series done. Before i knew what was happening they had me an appointment set up with crippled childrens in Tucson. They diagnosed him with craniosynostosis (premature closer of the soft spot) by the time he was 5 months old he’d had surgery. They fixed the problem. Yes it was scarey. Yes i paced miles in the surgery waiting room. Today my son is 32 yrs old (still a hand full) and a daddy to a beautiful 3 yr old little girl.

If the dr. Is not concerned relax. Who suggested the ultrasound? Is he developing normally?

1 Like

My son’s head measured 49 cm at 9mths…had to go back at 10mths…didnt grow any further but they did an ultrasound anyways…his head n brain is completely normal. I wouldnt be concerned as of right now. I was a wreck myself when our doc was being cautious, but I had a big head when I was his age. He is now a healthy soon to be 1yo on the 10th. As long as the growth of the head doesnt jump another couple cms in a matter of a month, there isnt anything to worry about. Our babies got some big brains is all

They said the same thing to me my baby is five and thriving

I bet he just has a big head. The average size for a 1 yr old is 46cm. I know he’s 10m , but he’ll probably catch up to his head!

My son had 50cm head when 10 months old no problems

He just grew in to it

If hes developing ok then I wouldn’t worry

We went through this with my now almost 2 year old when he was like 4 months old. His head grew too fast according to their measurements, so we were sent for an ultrasound. Everything was FINE! It was mostly blamed on every nurse measuring differently (like around different parts of the head which can make a huge difference!

My son had a big head he still does the teen is annoying!

1 Like

Some kids just have huge heads lol

My son at 4 months old had an 18 inch head, he just naturally has a big head as does my other little guy. We figured that out from my mother in law & my dad had a big head. My doc suggested ultrasound also but I was quite certain it was just natural. Go with your gut.

If they are measuring a 10 months old head against the average 9 month olds head measurements, it’s going to measure big. They are just doing the ultrasound as a precautionary measure.

My baby’s head witch it’s my 7 year old now . He’s head was big big and not once the docs said nothing about it and he was the worst from wen I gave birth to him it freakin hurt lol cuz he’s head was so big . But I don’t think it should be a problem . Does he have problems at all ? If. Not tell the docs you are ok .

With my oldest the doctors would ask me if bigger heads run in the family. My husband’s head is on the bigger side so they didn’t worry about it and she’s just fine and 4 years old now.

Mine has always had a head in the 98th percentile. Giant noggins run in the family.

My 6 year old is really small both in height and weight and is being sent for a skeletal survey.

Logically…i know that he’s probably just small. He’s only a couple inches shorter than the and a few pounds underweight than the “average” of other boys his age.
More than anything the skeletal survey is a precaution, but i totally understand the urge to panic too.

Its probably similar. Just a precaution and nothing you really need to worry about.

My niece and nephew both have big heads. One of the nurses actually kinda freaked my sister out saying there was something wrong with their heads. The doctor took one look at my sister who also had a large head and said some people just naturally have big heads. Nothing to worry about.

My kids are always in the 90th percentile for their heads :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Some kids have big heads. My husbands side all have giant heads I swear. Both our kids heads were in the 90th percentile

My sons head measured 45.3 cm at his 6 month check up. My dr didn’t seem concerned. He has a big head like his daddy.

Yes they said my son’s head was larger than normal but he is alright he is 34 now and still a big head but his body grew into it haha he is 6ft 3 with big hands and big feet too . Get your son scanned for safety reasons anyway …

Yes ng daughter did from birth. We just had to keep having it checked. They did the ultrasound and she just has extra fluid around her brain. Finally she our grew it a few years later. We just had to keep a eye on her soft spot and extra doctor appointments. All ended up well though. Best of luck

I would be more concerned if he’s meeting his milestones.

1 Like

Ok so I’m 37 and have a big head. At birth I tore my mom up super badly bc she had me naturally. I was just fine and have 2 college degrees. Both of my sister’s also have big heads. One they induced so she wouldn’t assault my mom’s vagina again. The other was born 10 years later and they just did a c-section. When I say I have a big head it doesn’t look like it bc my hair is super naturally straight but I cannot wear any hats unless they are xl in mens.

My son Kavan had this happen at the Dr last year. They thought he may have hydrocephalus. We had the ultrasound and it turned out he just has a large head. (90th percentile) He is fine. I know that you will worry no matter what but keep in mind that your child has not been diagnosed with anything and unless he is there is no need to worry.

My youngest had a big head when he was born and like you they had me scared out of my mind… BUT it was nothing but a big head. He was normal and is now a US Marine. A lot of babies have big heads.

My oldest they did the same thing and everything turned out fine. He just has a hard head now . With my 5 month old they did xray and made me come in to keep an eye on the measurements of his head but it turned out fine. I know it’s hard not to stress and freak.

Not every babies are the same. My baby girl(10) had a normal sized head while my baby boy(3)has a big head for his age. But then again he’s as big as a normal 6 yr old. Lol.

My son is 14, superb athlete, honor student & big headed​:flushed::blush:always has been.

Ma’am if it’s not broken don’t fix it

My son had a big head,no problems,it resolved itself
My grandson,my daughter’s child also has a large nugget,we are ok with the situation

My baby cousin had the same issue. She is now 20 and she is fine. Some babies just have naturally big heads…

My child’s head circumference has always been in the 99th percentile, but she is big all around, so it is proportional. They may be wanting to roll out hydrocephaly

I have learned DONT worry unless the doctor tells u to. My daughter had a big head they didn’t want a ultrasound however my second kid my son they wanted a ultrasound turned out he just has a big head so when I had my third baby his head was big and they said it was fine cause I’ve had two others and their heads were big and there was not a big spike in growth in head growth to even worry about it (neither did my first or second) as for my fourth which I’m 34 weeks pregnant with I had a ultrasound 2 weeks ago and his head was already measuring at 34 weeks when I was only 32 weeks. So the doctor said I just naturally have big headed kids lol