Should I be conerned that my baby has lost her appetite?

My LO is 5 months old and we started her on very small amount of rice cereal lately. Now, after having cereal and a spoonful of water, she seems to have completely lost her appetite and now refusing bottles. She drinks 4.5-5 ounces every 3 hours during the day but now not more than 2.5 and rarely 3. Not fully sure why she lost her appetite but should I be worried ?

9 Likes

Teething??.. Have you tried a sippy cup?

How much solids and how often?
My daughter was all about the solids. I had to make sure I measured them out. Cereal isn’t the best option and water isn’t needed.

Adding solids of any kind too early can cause gut related issues also. We don’t think about it but the lining of their stomachs is not fully mature enough to handle more than formula/breast milk.

1 Like

Personally I had my baby on breast milk only at 5 months. (Formula is that is what time use) cereal isn’t needed yet and water isn’t good for them, yet.

3 Likes

Give her formula or breast milk with her cereal or solids instead of water

Teething probs. Comes in waves with loss of appetite. Even if you can’t see white spots yet it can start feeling sore before that point for them. 

Formula/breastmilk should be fed before solids.

When my son did this we increased the nipple size on his bottle. If your baby is anything like mine she is probably teething and if the flow is to slow from the bottle her gums might get sore or she gets tired of trying to eat and therefore gives up. Also make sure you are offering cereal 30 mins after her bottle because right now milk/formula is more important for her development. However if you already did both or if it stays that way after doing so definitely reach out to her pediatrician.

1 Like

Every baby is different. Speak with her doctor. The moms here only know what is good for their kids and what works for them

3 Likes

Full. When you add food to a baby diets it cuts down on bottles.

8 Likes

She’s full after the cereal, they take less and less formula/milk when you introduce food to them. The more food, the less milk.

1 Like

If you added cereal then she is just staying full longer, and isn’t needing as many bottles. An Oz of water is totally fine as well, my kids started cereal at 4 months, they recommended 6months only because of weight, they don’t want baby getting over wt, is what I was told.

Cereal is just empty calories doing nothing but filling baby up. Baby’s belly isn’t ready for that. I would stop giving Cereal. Nothing but vreast milk or formula for atleast 6 months and all signs of readiness. Baby could be having a upset stomach from not being ready for the food.

I had an issue with my daughter not eating much…we upped the nipple size and she started eating much better…if the flow is to hard for the baby to get,especially with cereal they eventually get tired and frustrated and stop eating…also purees and cereal can be started at 4 months.

5 Likes

She’s probably full from the cereal

2 Likes

That’s because you aren’t supposed to be giving solid foods or water at this age…

2 Likes

I’d cut out the cereal for at least another 6 or so weeks.If you are going to give her cereal use her formula or breast milk instead of water.Best of luck

Unless she’s having reflux, there’s literally no reason to give her rice cereal. There’s no nutritional value and her formula needs to be number one…. if you want to start her on vegetables or something healthy that has nutritional value, that would be cool. 

1 Like

Rice cereal is empty calories. I would cut that out so what she is eating has nutritional value.

1 Like

Bottles/breast before solids always. Breastmilk or formula are their main nutrients

Cereal is hard on the baby’s digestive system and takes longer to digest so in turn they don’t feel hungry.

stop giving her cereal, just keep doing bottles. she needs the nutrition from formula/breast milk more than cereal, it has barely any nutritional value.

13 Likes

How’s her bowel movements?

Rice cereal is bad for babies.

Also no water, and really you should wait until 6 months

5 months is a bit early to feed solids.
I would stop the cereal and continue with bottles as you were previously. Solids shouldn’t be started until AT LEAST 6 months. 8+ months is even better. Even then, rice cereal isn’t of much nutritional value. It’s best to start with fruits and veggies.
If she develops any other symptoms, or continues to refuse even the bottles for an extended period of time, see her doctor.

10 Likes

I did cereal at 2 weeks but never in a bottle. I started baby food at a month. Off the bottle at 10 months. Yes I’m old school.

7 Likes

Babies aren’t supposed to have cereal or water until 6 months.

8 Likes

Teething maybe or did you find white spots inside her mouth that hurts

My doctor told me with all 3 of my kids to skip cereal because it really has no good nutritional value and is hard of their tummy. Also at that age your LO should always get the bottle before any type of food. All of her nutritional needs come from her bottles still and that is most important.

Maybe stop the cereal, adjust nipple flow and see if that helps but if you have any concerns always talk to your child’s doctor and remember any food before the age of 12 months is for fun and not necessary so it’s not going to hurt to cut it out!

I have 3 kids and I started giving them all cereal mixed with formula at 4 months. None of them had a problem. They just get fuller faster and usually for longer periods of time. I wouldn’t worry about it but if you’re still unsure talk to your pediatrician

A babies stomach is only so big if you are giving her rice cereal then she won’t take as many bottles.

Most pediatric offices offer electronic communications, I would call or message the docs before coming to the Internet and racking your brain on what ifs.