Should I charge more to babysit?

Charge more. I had a friend do the same thing. Then got behind on paying me so i gave them 24 hrs to pay or I quit. So I quit.

I watched a family members kids and they did that to me, I started charging more for every hour they weren’t there by a set time.after about a week of paying $3 per hour over 8 hours per kid, they showed up on time, they had three kids

You charge $10/kid/day and she takes advantage of you?
Give her 1 weeks notice. You are literally paying to take care of her kids.

5 Likes

I’ve done full time home child care for over 8 years now. Child care rates vary by area, but she is getting a DEAL! The typical rate in my area is $25 per child, per day. I’m in Tennessee. I don’t offer a sibling discount either. They’re not 10% less work, why should I charge 10% less money?!

I had a hard time speaking up at first, but I got tired of being taken advantage of and feeling like a prisoner in my own home. I make it clear during the interview that my time and money are important to me, I have business hours and I expect them to respect that, I require payment by 9 PM Sunday night for the week. I charge full time rate (same rate every week, regardless of attendance). You don’t work for them, you work for yourself. You work WITH them to provide care for their children. Respect yourself and don’t let people walk all over you or else you’ll burn out verrrrrrry quickly. Make decisions based on what’s best for your family and yourself, not the parents. They’ll make decisions based on what’s best for them and THEIR family first. That’s business.

3 Likes

Charge her more, or do not watch them.

1 Like

I would charge $30 a day/ per child that’s still a damn good deal especially now days and I would definitely be setting some boundaries on the schedule no kids past 6 at the latest or whatever works for you…idk but I would for sure sit down and have a talk with her because she is definitely taking advantage good luck!

Tell her it just isn’t working out anymore and give her a month notice. Then take in someone else’s kids that you can have more of a business relationship with and charge the going rate for your area. I guarantee you will make a lot more money and the parent shows up in time if they know they’ll be charged late fees

2 Likes

Charge more. You literally paying HER instead to watch HER kids. She’s paying you $10 a day for each kid AND you feeding them all? NOPE. Charge more or cut that tie and let her take her kids to daycare. She’s taking full advantage

3 Likes

Maybe renegotiate. Set specific drop off and pickup times, if it goes any time over settle on an extra amount for her to pay. Also ask her to start providing a stipend for food or provide it herself.

I charge 30 per kid a day.

1 Like

Girl id be pissed. Have a talk with her. Stand your ground. She is most definitely taken advantage of you. $30 a day is crazy cheap for for what your providing.

I would first explain to her that you’re tired and she needs to pick up the children on time. If she can’t then she needs to make arrangements to have them picked up.

2 Likes

You are being taken advantage of, badly. You’re basically putting your life on hold to watch her kids all those hours - and between meals, snacks, and drinks, that pretty much covers what she’s paying you each day. She should be paying you more - especially since it would cost her an arm & a leg to put her 3 kids in daycare… and thats IF she could find one to accommodate her hours.

I would charge more. I was paid more (100 a week) to babysit 1 kid when I was a teenager. And I was at their house feeding her their food and she was out of diapers. So you’re definitely being taken advantage of.

FOR REFERENCE:

“The cost of daycare in Fairfax county (Virginia) is $2,184 per month. This is the average price for full-time, based on CareLuLu data, including homes and centers.”
Weekly rates where I live, family providers/child care centers:
Toddlers: $ 240-315 / $340 - 459
Preschoolers: $200-300/$300-415
Infant care under 6 months was hard to find & potentially more expensive.

At my kids’ private preschool & elementary schools (ages 2-11, potty trained only) they charged by the minute after closing time, and after 2 hours, someone would take the kid home with them & call CPS. At day camps before & after camp hours (say 10 am-3 pm) charged extra from 7 or 8 am - 10 am and 3 - 6 pm on top of camp fees. You may want to set core hours with early + breakfast hours rate and evening + dinner rates.

At home child care (infant - 3) we brought all filled bottles, diapers, wipes, baby/toddler food as appropriate, and changes of clothes over & above cost of care. Rates were higher the younger the child, but discounts were available for additional children in the same family.

FROM NOW ON:
Your mistake was not having a business model in place before you agreed to this arrangement. Tell her in advance you can no longer afford to do this as a short-term favor, and you will be raising your rates as it has become a business. Tell her you are developing a new contract to spell everything out but she will still make out like a bandit compared to other care options. Tell her by when you will have the info and contract available. Do your research. Maybe consult a lawyer if this is more than a couple months’ work.

Be sure you have the appropriate liability insurance in case anything happens, take pictures when they arrive if they have any injuries/bruises so you won’t be accused. Document and call parents immediately if anything happens when they’re in your care. May want to join an in person or online group for caregivers for support and advice from others in the same line of work.

Also look into what it takes to be certified/licensed by the county/city/state as a day care provider if this looks like a longer-term career for you. Might involve a home inspection, food/kitchen safety course, TB test & criminal background check. You have to pay for these but should recoup the cost in higher rates. Do this over time to be able to charge premium rates and attract more clients if you want.

Decide if you want to charge by the day (within certain hours) or by the hour, and if you want to charge overtime rates in 1, 5, 15 or 30 minute increments, and beyond which point you will call CPS or add an overnight charge (like if you are late checking out of a hotel you get charged an extra night).

State you will charge her an extra $X per day/week/month for you providing diapers, wipes and food, or she can provide them at no additional charge. Show her comparison rates for what she’d pay at other family & facility day cares & then show her your new contract at a slightly lower or comparable rate. Give her 3 days to a week to sign the contract (actually 2, one for you, one for them) and pay you upfront for the next week/month.

If you have things you need to do, let her know as much in advance as possible that there will be no care available after X pm on (date/s). Let her know a week in advance if she needs to find alternate care during the day so you can go to doctor’s appointments, etc. Try to make appointments early or late so it can come off one end of the day, or around lunchtime if someone in the family can take off a bit on their lunch break and is close enough to pick up the kids.

What happens as your pregnancy progresses? What if you get sick, need to go on bed rest, can’t lift anything over 3 lbs.? What happens after you have your baby? Decide now so everyone can prepare accordingly. If you plan to continue with a home day care, how long after your pregnancy do you anticipate waiting until you can resume care? 6 weeks? 12? More? Is this a high risk pregnancy or do you and your OB foresee any problems?

Good luck. Everyone is unanimous that you need to charge much more & set boundaries with penalties for non-compliance. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

4 Likes

It’s not ok for you or for her children. What is she doing til that late?

For 3 kids u should be charging at least $130 a day! N she brings their lunches but u could give a snack…

1 Like

After 5:30 I would charge for after care as well…

3 Likes

Unexpectable!!! Do not let anyone use your kindness for weakness!! Charge extra && set your boundaries!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::100::100:

1 Like

Yea I definitely would charge more for one child is 200 at least a week for daycare and you only charging 150 a week for 3 kids no make her pay more or tell her to find other car you putting too much stress on yourself I understand helping but once you start taking advantage it’s a no!!!

Great time to stop it as new baby coming its costing you money

2 Likes

Where I live babysitters charge between $20-$25 an hour. Maybe if you charged her hourly and put in an amount for meals she would pick them up at the normal time. Or you could say you cant keep doing the late pickups and if she continues say I’m sorry but I can’t watch them anymore. But I would definitely charge more and make it hourly and charge for food.

300 dollars x week x child plus meals and she brings diapers or 3 dollars each diaper change per child,after 6 pm extra charge

Hell no…when did you say the time was optional? Your hours are 745 to 545 period. If she can’t come she needs to contact someone who can.

7 Likes

If youre making 30 dollars per a day and you sometimes watch her kids until 7/8 pm you’re making $3 per hour… I’d definitely be asking more.

4 Likes

Where are you located? I am a childcare provider. And as a baby sitter you do get paid less than licensed providers in most areas. However, at the very least you should be getting 20-25/day/kid. So at least $300 a week. You are quite literally just doing her a favor. With zero benefit to you. It costs more than $30/day to feed 3 kids. That’s not even including labor and any wear and tear and money to keep them busy. I am sad that people take advantage of other people like this. I would require meals to be brought and charge at the very least $60 a day.

4 Likes

And that is me saying if I was a baby sitter. If it were me being a licensed provider oh it would be MUCH more than that.

You need to have a serious conversation with this person, there is no reason why she should be dropping her children off without their meals, snacks, and straight after work. :rage:

I’d say $30 a day with her providing groceries and snack for them. Also get it in a contract that says she’s had to pay more if she’s late

1 Like

Your to soft and being used

3 Likes

At the minimum I’d be charging $25-$30 a day PER child. Now coming in late, let her know there’s a $5 a MINUTE late fee after whatever time you decide you feel comfortable being open until. You run this shit. Not her.

30 dollars for a whole day for 3 kids??? She’s been taking advantage of you from the beginning…

3 Likes

Tell her you have to charge her more ! And if she don’t like it tell her to find someone else…show her the break down on how much you spend
And on food. and make her schedule of your daily routine.

You are beyond generous!
That a wicked deal…you seem like a great person !

1 Like

Obviously charge more, set boundries, and 6 pm pick up or late fee for every hour.

1 Like

Childcare is easily 45-60 a day for ONE CHILD, so yea charge her more. Pick up time is firm or a late fee + time and a half!!!

3 Likes

Ask for more and ask her to pack food for the children and pick up no later then 6pm

1 Like

Woah. I do $30 for 6 or more hours. Per child.

Sorry but she is so taking advantage of you.
$30 a day for 3 kids
What a joke. It’s more than that for just 1 child.
Get out now before you get heavily pregnant and start to get annoyed at the kids.

3 Likes

Another option is require her to help with the food and tell her as long as she is there at the agreed upon times you won’t charge more but for every “X” minutes she is late you will charge “Y” amount more

1 Like

In the UK I pay £52 per day PER CHILD for my registered childcare which works out around $72 a day EACH. They’re only open 8am-6pm but I collect my daughter by 4pm as I also have a Son at school so I can only work during school hours. They provide breakfast, lunch, snack and a light dinner but I have to provide nappys/diapers.
I would say you can’t do it anymore due to pregnancy and give her a date to find a new provider by. Also explain you can no longer have them passed 6pm due to home commitments so she’ll have to have some arrange to collect them from you to continue childcare if she’s going to be late home from work. She’ll have the shock of her life when she has to start paying properly to someone else!! xx

1 Like

I pay 60 a day for my 5 year old and I provide all food and snacks…from 8am-430/5pm. You definitely should charge more!

1 Like

She is taking advantage of you.

My childcare provider charged $5 for every 10 mins late. She never charged me it but I would always pay it if I was. Her time is valuable and if I was taking it I would definitely compensate her for it.

Day cares charge extra after a certain time. Give her notice of the new charges.

My daycare charges more after promised pick up time. Give her a written notice.

I would definitely up your price and maybe an easy way to do that is by making a contract. Fill it in so that it states a certain amount per child, the parents are to provide diapers, and any extra time past 6pm will be X amount. Maybe that will stop her from taking advantage of you. You could even get her to pre pay for the month based on so many hours and then whatever she’s gone above, add to her next bill. If she does not pay, you do not care for her children. You’ll have to stay firm and be prepared to possibly lose a friend over it.
But definitely take care of yourself and your family. If you are doing this as a job and extra income for your family, you need to put them first. Charge the appropriate amounts.

Charge way more. Your taking care of children. She should be GIVING you more out of pure respect of being a mother herself. Get those dollars girl.

1 Like

I see it’s a family member so they probably think it’s not daycare and you wouldn’t mind since it’s family.
You should mention how your pregnancy is making you tired and need to be in bed early so she needs to get her kids sooner.

I pay $30 for 1 child and I provide snacks and food some times! I drop my baby off at 7:30 and pick her up around 4:50, 5 the latest. You are charging her too little and the least thing she could do is provide food for her own children especially snacks

Lol see that hormones is starting to show.:rofl:

10 $ per child per day girl get a grip tell her it’ll be 30 per child or get someone else

I pay £43 a day for my one child to go to nursery :heart: 8-6, They provide all of her meals in with that cost, I did only have to pack nappies and wipes but she’s now toilet trained… You should definitely charge more!!! Whilst she is family you also have a family of your own to feed/look after :slight_smile: and with one on the way there’s also yours/baby’s health/wellbeing to consider :heart:
Imagine the childcare cost if she had to put her 3 in a nursery, I know different areas are different rates per day xxx

You need to talk to her about this situation asap but get your ducks in a row. The food, snacks and drinks are your responsibility as a babysitter. You either need to let her know that 6:00 p.m. is the pickup time for the kids for your agreed upon rate or figure out how much extra you want to charge per hour after that, for example, $10 per hour after 6. It’s more than fair for you. Things like this take a toll on your friendship but it needs to be addressed.

She needs to stop taking advantage of you. Tell her. Be direct of what you are willing to do and set your boundaries.

You can’t be making anything if you providing food and snacks. And I wouldn’t let her be any later pick up by 6. They her kids not yours. You have thing to do to

1 Like

That’s some bullshit. Ask for your raise.

Um yes you should! That’s ridiculous! She should provide snacks for her kids

1 Like

I paid 35 per kid per day for 8 hours of work. If i was late it was more. Don’t rip yourself off girl.

3 Likes

You’re spending more money feeding them than she’s paying you. I would explain it from that point of view. You’re not gaining anything here, she’s working and getting paid, you should also be getting paid. Definitely speak up before it ruins your relationship in the long run

3 Likes

Charge her ten dollars extra for each hour she is late per kid or stop watching them! That is unacceptable!

2 Likes

She is taking advantage of you…you need to stand your ground before it gets worse, tell her you’ll be finishing up a month before new baby arrives…time to look after yourself x

I believe she’s taking advantage of you for sure. I would charge more and ask her to supply her own snacks or money for meals 3 kiddos can add up groceries really quickly

2 Likes

Yes make it clear . Its You want 50 pound per day

NOPPPPPPE!!! If it were daycare she’d be paying a WHOLE lot more than that, and there is a set time to pick up and drop off, period.

1 Like

Any daycare would charge extra if you are late please picking up your kids. Some daycares charge $5 per 30 min after scheduled time to pick up. Maybe you should do that same.

1 Like

Just charge an additional amount per 15 minutes past the original agreed upon time. Write up a contract. She’ll get the hint.

I paid 25 each for 2 kids and anything after the initial 9 hours we agreed upon was an extra 25! Didn’t matter if it was just an hour. Being a truck driver you can’t exactly choose when you get home because of wrecks and traffic and stuff.

Say it is $x until 6pm, $10 (or more) extra per hour after that- as that is family time.

That’s not babysitting… she needs to find a childminder or nanny

See if she can pay that kind of money at daycare and pick up her kids any old time,some people list advantageous

You need to talk to her and set some rules. Boundaries are important change the amount and say it will be more If she is late expect. Write it out clearly And stay firm, ask her to Pack food also. Def sounds like she’s taking you for granted

5 Likes

Tell her that every hour shes late she has to pay an additional $15. Dont let her take advantage of you just because yall are family. You’re pay for food and snacks so she needs to pay you a little extra regardless.

6 Likes

No go u should be angry u really set down with the mother ant tell her what u are thinking about and u should be getting more then $30 hour

Tell her to start providing food for them as well. I make lunches for my kids for daycare and they charge about 200 per kid weekly (I have 2) so she’s definitely taking advantage

2 Likes

You need to set up a contract with her (family makes no difference) for yalls business arrangement. She needs to respect your time and effort in caring for her children. And I’d suggest a log book for when they are dropped off, food, any booboos or other important info and pick up.

I’d definitely charge her more, kids cost a lot.

You’re making less than a dollar per hour for each kid. With you covering food, you’re losing money.

2 Likes

She may not mind "buying herself " more time by paying extra but you will lose all of your family time…think carefully about what you and your family need. She needs a permanent Nanny for her kids.

when i had a babysitter sitting for me i payed a daily rate for reg hours and an hourly rate for everything after that.( and that was 40 years ago)

1 Like

I have 4 families I provide childcare to and we all have set hours and pickup times. Regular working hours. I have 2 of my own also and have to make sure we have enough time. If they need a sitter on the weekend or past regular hours then I get paid extra. My rates are super cheap, the families help with snacks.

I use to babysit since I was 11yrs old till around 4yrs ago after my last child… $30 for 3 kids is u doing her a favor to help her get on her feet I understand that but it should go up to $60 soon… and I agree with the other lady $15 per hour she’s late or you cannnot watch them anymore. She can put them in daycare or loose her job not your problem.

Put your foot down… And say the kids have to be picked up by a certain time… Period if not start adding charges… But I would say this is goi g to get worse before it gets better… Raise your price if you must… If she don’t follow the rules you have set in place tell them they will have to find another sitter. .

Start charging over time, anytime after agreed pickup time! (Or) People are crying for decent babysitters! Maybe time for a change! Yup she’s using you!

My two kids go to an in home daycare. 2 1/2 and 9 months. I pay $25 per kid each day so $50 a day. And thats cheaper then an actual daycare. I provide diapers and wipes and all food and drink for then she is only responsible for caring for then while my husband and I work and that’s the way it should be. I drop them off at 8 and my husband picks them up just a little after 4 and 5 at the latest. Make your boundaries now and if she doesn’t like that then she will have to find child care somewhere else. You need your down time with your family.

2 Likes

I paid my sitter $125/day for ONE child.:expressionless: Granted, they’re long days (5am-9pm), but still. You’re being used. Badly.

1 Like

A dollar a minute she’s late.

Raise the charge for 8 hour period and hours after 6 PM are double or at least more than daily rate. You are going in the hole with what you charge her now. I paid $45 a day for my son back in the 70’s! they did provide lunch and snacks. There wasn’t any that stayed after 6 PM. Do write down new charges and when they go into effect. Daily charge ends at 5 PM or 6PM plus overtime charge. You are being taken advantage of.

2 Likes

I’d say charge her $5 or $10 an hour for every hour she’s late.

1 Like

Regular daycare is $120/week per kid. You’re getting screwed

1 Like

Charge more. I paid $40 a day for one child in daycare

1 Like

thirty a kid or thirty for all three…? Because goodness that’s cheap, especially for a twelve hour day

Tell her truthfully your finding it hard to look after them on that budget .xx good luck

The cost of one child to be at daycare is $80 a day! Times that by 3 and that’s $240 a day, and late fees apply on top of that amount.

You are being well taken advantage of.
Maybe sit.down with her and have a chat and point out how much it will cost to put them in daycare, and the money she’s paying you now isn’t enough. She should be covering all food etc. as you have your kids to raise and can’t keep spending money on her kids. If she’s working all those hours a day, she definately has the money to pay you more per day or pay you by the hour.

1 Like

I would charge for kid plus extra for each kid every time she is late if she doesn’t want to then she can find a new sitter or atleast give you for groceries I honestly feel that your spending almost everything she is giving you on snacks and food so you are getting paid about $10 or $15 per day for 3 kids taking alway for food and snacks no thank you

I recently was doing this with my sister cept 5am-3pm. She would provide food. My sister was understanding because we talked anytime we had problems with how things were going. I would just talk to her and figure out a better plan than what is going on now, your happiness and family come first and nothing is harder in having say hey im not happy can we talk. I don’t know what your sister does for work and maybe her staying is something she needs or maybe she takes that time for herself idk not my circus…this is just something i experience over a yr…

Start telling her to bring groceries to your house, not snack items. In the beginning of the week gallon of milk, loaf of bread, eggs, sandwich fixings, 2 packages of meat, potatoes or rice, 4 cans of fruit, 2 bags of frozen veggies. I’m not saying she should be providing food for your entire family but if I were her I would more considerate, taking care of kids is a lot of work. Be firm, if she values your relationship it should not be a problem.

1 Like

Yes I used to babysit 3 kids for 30 too and same situation I quit.

That lady is getting a a huge deal. I hate when people do this with their kids. If someone has my kids I need them to be happy.

If you agreed to a price it would not be right to change it. You agreed to it. As for not picking ip on time… that is when I say you charge her extra. But just for the extra time. When my daughter was born and i went back to work i wasn’t making alot. I paid $200 a month. Definitely a great price, but she offered that price and to watch my baby. I never asked. After 2 months she raised the price to $300 a month. I paid it. Then a month later another $100. After 6 months of her watching my daughter the charge went from $200 a month to $450. I paid her whatever she asked even though she wasent even licensed. When the price hit $500 I forund a licenced day care that charged $129 a week. Moral of the story dont agree to a price then raise it. It is not right.

1 Like