Should I combine two graduation parties?

I am looking for opinions/advice…both my kids are graduating the same year from high school and elementary school. We are not rich and things are really tight! Is it wrong to combine the 2 graduations at a decent restaurant with some family and friends? Will invite the dad( if he comes) and let him do what he wants for him on his own…I plan on having a bigger cake for the high school graduate and a smaller cake for the elementary graduate? I’m not normally one to care what anyone thinks but I feel my ex may give me hell (as usual)ugh!!! I want them both to feel acknowledged and loved but we just don’t have the money to do both separately! Also need recommendations for good affordable places on mclean near Central ave?

68 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I combine two graduation parties? - Mamas Uncut

My daughter and my cousin are both graduating and our family is throwing them both a party. It will save us a lot of money in the long run and it’s a pot luck. I’d say go for it.

2 Likes

I feel like you should do whatever you can/want to do for your children.

1 Like

The high school graduation is a huge milestone in my opinion no. Maybe do a dinner with the younger one.

9 Likes

I honestly feel you should celebrate the highschool grad separate… it’s a huge deal. Yes elementary is big…but not as big of a deal.

6 Likes

Elementary doesn’t really need a graduation. SO high school a party and maybe just dinner for elementary.
But if doing it together works, then do that. I would also ask the high schooler their thoughts and feelings about it.

8 Likes

I think it’s completely fine to have the two parties together. Do what you can afford. I Don’t even remember my graduation party.

2 Likes

If that’s what you wanna do, DO IT!!! They are your babies and they will understand and be happy for the celebration!!! I will say however, make it a little more for the high school graduate! And congratulations, you and your baby did it, graduating high school is a HUGE accomplishment :partying_face::heart:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t since graduating from high school is a huge achievement and in my opinion that child deserves a graduation party just for them.

I’ve never celebrated a child graduating from elementary school. You can always celebrate the younger one on a different day.

12 Likes

Get input from the high-school graduate, they may not care. I had a 3-n-1. My youngest daughter from high-school and my oldest daughter and me from college.

2 Likes

Depends what you did for the high school graduate for 8th grade. Imo treat the younger the same as then. (I’m not opposed to parties together) I’m more concerned with if the younger will feel shoved to the side.

2 Likes

For me I’ve never gotten a elementary school or middle school graduation only high school that’s more of an accomplishment to me

5 Likes

I would do the high school at a restaurant and then do a potluck for the younger one. They will both feel special and the younger one will know that when they graduate highschool they will get that as well.

3 Likes

Ask the high school graduate what they want if they want to share a party with the younger one then go for it

3 Likes

How about have a party of the high school graduate, don’t combine the two. Buy your 6th grade flowers and say good job. It’s elementary school.

12 Likes

My opinion is absolutely not. The one graduating from high school deserves it alot more then the one from elementary school. That is just my personal opinion.

5 Likes

I personally wouldn’t mind if I had two parties together I don’t think people will really care unless your high school grad wants their own, if not I see no issues with combined.

3 Likes

Perhaps let the HS graduate know (separately and quietly) that things are tight and as much as you’d love to have a bigger and separate party for them, it’s not possible financially. At 17/18 years old they hopefully will understand more than the 14 year old. You could, if able, put some money in a card and give it to them quietly and let them know you didn’t do as much for the younger one.

2 Likes

Just my opinion, but I would honor your high school graduate first and foremost. Elementary student will get their turn when they graduate.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t personally. Graduating high school is a big deal

5 Likes

Our family just had 4 middle school graduations and 1 elementary school graduation. We combined all of them in one party. There’s no way we could have had 5 separate celebrations.

1 Like

Maybe have back yard bbq or ina local park vrs a restaurant. Then u can afford 2 separate parties. The high school graduate is a big accomplishment. Everyone makes it through middle school so it’s not a big deal. I’m sure your high schooler would want some friends to come as well and not have a bunch of younger children cramping their style.

1 Like

Yeah if you want to. If your ex complains tell him the high school graduate would rather party with their friends anyway and ask him for money

I don’t understand graduating from elementary school. They didn’t graduate from anything but maybe a building.
Have the younger kids pick dinner for a night and have dinner cupcakes, there is no need for anything more than that.
For your high school graduate, you can have a low key party (based on your finances). It’s probably cheaper to have something at a city park, and provide cake and bars with lemonade … (And remember, this page is international so we have no idea where Central Ave is)

3 Likes

My son finish grade 8 and we doing pizza party with close family to let him know we are proud of his hard work and my daughter also finish grade 12 and they were both happy sharing cake and pizza.

I’d ask the older one who’s graduating high school and go from there.

3 Likes

Both your children deserve to be acknowledged for their achievements BUT graduating high school is a huge accomplishment and your oldest is literally taking a new step into the real world as a young adult so the celebration in my opinion should be more focused on the oldest. Since you’ve mentioned that you’re on a budget why not have a backyard barbecue or a barbecue at a park and have your family and friends bring a dish buy two cakes one for your youngest and one for your oldest if you want to but when my kids graduated their graduation parties were all day/evening events that started out with family mostly during the early part of the day and more her friends towards the evening and it lasted well into the night I of course opted for a backyard barbecue as I have a large yard with a privacy fence and we cooked all the meat and other family members like my mom etc made all the side dishes. And it was extremely affordable compared to trying to go to a restaurant with a large crowd

If you combine make it fair . No one having something bigger. If you fo it this way ots totally fine. Getting through elementary school CAN be a big accomplishment I think people are thinking to simplistic

1 Like

I didn’t know people did parties for finishing elementary school. I would just maybe buy flowers and say good job to the elementary kid. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Imo elementary school graduation parties are ridiculous. They go up a year. They can’t be held back unless the parent allows it. It’s not really an achievement. Where as graduating highschool takes effort. You can fail & have to repeat a class or entire grade. You can choose to drop out. My opinion for what little it’s worth is to celebrate the highschool grad. The younger child will get their party if they graduate.

7 Likes

When one granddaughter was graduating from college and her sister from highschool, my daughter had one fabulous party for them. People came from Ohio, TX, and GA to Maryland. I don’t think they would have made the trip twice. I really don’t know why there is graduation from kindergarten.

Yea and I probably wouldn’t even celebrate the elementary grad lol

2 Likes

I would do a party for the one who graduated from high school and take the younger one out to eat somewhere of his choosing with just close family.

2 Likes

You can have them together. maybe in 2 different areas to separate them alittle…but food all together

I say do a small dinner and cake for the one leave grade school. The party for the one who is dine with high school

I think what you are doing sounds wonderful! You should not give it another thought what your ex or anyone else thinks. You do what you do out of love and that’s all that matters.

Why not just get the elementary kid a little gift or something and leave the party for the highschool grad. Hardly no one throws a whole party for elementary kids.

6 Likes

Why not just get the elementary kid a little gift or something and leave the party for the highschool grad. Hardly no one throws a whole party for elementary kids.

My focus would be more on the high school graduate. I would ask them what they want. Maybe have a party for the high school graduate. And just take the other child out by herself for dinner.

4 Likes

Combine and family only. Prom is for friends

Personal opinion but an elementary graduation compared to a highschool graduation- totally different… I would hate to share the end of my childhood and end of school with my elementary sibling.

9 Likes

I would do a small family dinner to celebrate the elementary school graduation but do something larger for the high school graduation. Each kid deserves their own thing. To me sharing the celebration makes it less special.

2 Likes

Celebrate the way you feel is best for you and your kiddos. If the father wants to contribute more than insults and complaints, let him contribute financially or do his own thing.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion but the only real graduation is high school

11 Likes

small separate at home celebrations for each. High school is a BIG DEAL, and elementary school really isn’t. We didn’t “celebrate” per se for elementary school, but a dinner at home cooked as per choice of child, with a cake and a few friends and family is just fine. The out to dinner at a restaurant should be for the high school graduation, as it’s a bigger deal, and more meaningful step into adulthood—and should be allowed a choice of a few close friends and family as well. This will give the younger child a peek at what they can get for their own high school graduation.

1 Like

It’s a great idea to combine. Just call it an open house so people can stop by. Like 12-5pm for example. Keep half food in refrigerator to put out later so it’s fresh.

Have games or crafts for the younger kids.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing an actual “graduation party” for someone under high-school.

3 Likes

also, we have no idea where mclean and central are. Those streets likely intersect all over the US. If you’re referring to the Chicago area, might I suggest Italian or Mexican near Rockford where prices will definitely be lower. Everything is cheaper 90 miles west. Except maybe the gas. Fuel up in Indiana

The best plan of action is to ask the children.

1 Like

Yes. ONE graduation party works for all ( or both ) graduates. 1 large-ish cake. Congratulations… 1 restaurant. 1 big party. maybe a small party each at home for each … their friends & pizza.

Even with money tight, I don’t think I would combine them. HS Graduation is HUGE, Elementary, big… but very different mile stone markers. I personally would make the HS one a bigger deal. If Money is tight, do his in a restaurant, and I would go to Dollar Tree and buy some balloons, streamers, cute plates to celebrate and maybe invite a few friends maybe cupcakes, home made pizza, chips and dip, you can make pizza’s really cheap

2 Likes

I’d do a medium size at home celebration for the elementary one and then a bigger at home or restaurant one for the high school one

1 Like

HS graduation is a big deal! Elementary school does not require nor require a graduation party… at least in my opinion… and I love party planning and throwing parties

6 Likes

Party for the high school grad. Small gift for the kid completing elementary school.

5 Likes

I think it’d be cute to have little sibling in a cap n gown along with big sibling, kinda a mentor of such. But, as far as a party- your high schooler is a BIG deal n should be focused on them… That’s a major milestone of many things n should be acknowledged as such…

2 Likes

I would do one big party! They are both your kids so a lot of the same people.

Never heard of an elementary graduation party.

3 Likes

I would do a combination family dinner but let the HS grad have a celebration he can include his friends also . Maybe get a few grads family’s together for a bbq at the park and share costs.

No. Especially since it involves a high school graduation. A part for the high school grad would come first. This you your high school child last party before adult hood officially starts.

3 Likes

Do a nice dinner for the little one and the party for the oldest

2 Likes

I would do one party for the older one. As high school is a major milestone. And your elementary school child will have their own high school party. Not fair to make one share and the other one gets their own in the future. Have a simple dinner at home with family and a few friends for the elementary child.

3 Likes

Maybe ask your senior graduate if they mind sharing their day??? But only if u really want to know???

1 Like

Do a party for both. If money’s tight do it at home with hotdogs and dollar tree decorations. Allow the kids to invite like 2 friends and some family. Put on some music and enjoy yourself. Celebrating is for everyone. :grin::confetti_ball::tada:

2 Likes

I would just get the kid a small gift for elementary. That’s not really an achievement. But high school is definitely a big milestone. The older kid should be focused on.

10 Likes

What the heck happened to just 12th grade graduation?

8 Likes

Since when is having a graduation party for elementary kids a thing?

13 Likes

Elementary school does not need a party. Have one for the high school graduate that’s a huge accomplishment

8 Likes

It’s nice that you want to give both kids a party, but you really should focus on the high school graduate for the restaurant dinner. That’s a major milestone and a once in a lifetime thing. Have some family and a few friends. Your elementary school graduate would probably be happier with a few friends, hotdogs on the grill, chips, pop, and a small cake. Have it in the backyard where the kids can play. That would be better than expecting them to be comfortable at a sit down dinner where they can’t get up and run around. Maybe have a movie and popcorn later. I’d plan them a week apart.

5 Likes

Unless your ex is gonna throw the party, F what he thinks LoL one party is fine.

2 Likes

I would combine the parties and make it one huge one. If you can let your child invite a few people instead of just family and close friends of the family.

I wouldn’t do a big party for the younger kiddo. Some flowers/small gift or a dinner would be more than enough. Do the party for the high school graduate.

6 Likes

Since when do kids graduate elementary school? Lol

4 Likes

Always encourage your children momma. Do a party! 2 cakes is great because they have individual accomplishments💓

I mean or you could just have a graduation party for the kid actually graduating high school . I’d be pissed if I had to share a grad party with a sibling “graduation “ elementary

6 Likes

I never heard of a graduation for elementary school. I’d def do the senior for sure. High school graduation is a huge deal

5 Likes

You can only do what you can do.Combine the 2 parties and im sure it will be great

1 Like

Only the High school graduate should celebrate with a party ! They worked for that privilege! Sorry to say but elementary party??? Who does this? Never heard of such a thing?

5 Likes

Just do the high school graduate party at the restaurant, then just have a cake at home for your immediate family.

4 Likes

I’d get the elementary child a gift they want or take them on an experience trip to a zoo water park or fair. The older one I’d do a little party for a gift is money towards college something like that.

3 Likes

People give their children graduation parties for finishing elementary school? That’s an actual thing :sweat_smile:

I hope my kids never figure this out because, no.

2 Likes

Only need a party for the senior!

6 Likes

i would do a small gift for the child graduating from elementary school. no offense, but graduating elementary school is nowhere near as important as graduating high school. pretty much every kid goes to middle school. if i had to share my graduation party with a child graduating elementary i’d be pretty pissed off. big bash for the senior, small gift or fun outing for the younger sibling.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s fair for your oldest child to have to share his graduation party with your youngest child grade school graduation is absolutely nothing High School graduation is a big momentum in your life this is the start of their life adult life I think that high school graduates deserves a party of their own have a small little family party for the elementary school child I guess I don’t believe you should Play Down High School graduation

5 Likes

Ask the boys what would they like

1 Like

I would combine the party. I’m actually doing pizza and cake and a small party for my son who graduated middle school and my daughter who just “graduated” kindergarten.

1 Like

Ask the kids. My sister and I will graduate with my masters and her HS diploma and we WANT a combined party, but other kids may not. It’s their party after all.

2 Likes

I would acknowledge your youngest moving onto middle school with something small and thoughtful to celebrate just with you guys. The high school graduate deserves a party.

7 Likes

We would definitely do just a small gift for the young one and a party for the graduation. HS diploma is a big party not just something like going to middle school.

1 Like

Several families combine graduation parties. Just went to one where one graduated from high school and one from technical college!

Ask the boys (privately, that way they can actually communicate) what they want.

However, I would have had a small gift and cake at home for the youngest and then the big party for the oldest.

2 Likes

Can you order take out like a tray from Chick Fil A or tiny sandwiches for the kids with crockpot Mac and cheese or a cheese pizza cut in lots of small slices and the small cake at 3 for the youngest one and friends, and do another pizza or a pot luck or crock pot buffet for the older one 2 or 3 hours later? If you have a yard for the parties, you should be able to keep costs down.

1 Like

Combine them, have fun!! :smiley:

1 Like

High school graduation is a HUGE accomplishment that should be acknowledged by itself. Graduating elementary is not something you throw a party for but can be acknowledged with something like a day date 1 on 1 or something along those lines.

14 Likes

Times are tough. Combine the parties

1 Like

You don’t need a party for the youngest just the one that’s a senior

7 Likes

Elementary school really isn’t one to have party

8 Likes

Graduation party for senior by themselves

14 Likes

Graduating high school is a BIG accomplishment and I believe should be acknowledged by itself. It would be one thing if they were both graduating high school but your younger one is just going into middle school. Every family is different but we never had parties for a child graduating elementary school. I would just have a day of fun for your younger one. That’s my opinion. Good luck!

15 Likes