Should I get a second opinion?

I recently got tested for preeclampsia, and they said I do not have it. But my 24-hour urine protein test result said 464mg, which is really high. I have been having severe headaches and have been nauseous and lightheaded. They said it’s likely nephritis, but I feel like I should get a second opinion.

4 Likes

I would. I’ve had to advocate for myself and switch doctors since my first OB this pregnancy kept trying to make me high risk when I’m clearly not suffering from pre eclampsia. All because 11 years ago when i was 150 lbs heavier and super unhealthy I had high BP towards the ending of it. :/Good luck.

1 Like

If you feel you need a second opinion, then you probably need a second opinion. No reason not to seek a second opinion.

5 Likes

Is your blood pressure high as well?

I would agree with getting a second opinion. If you ever feel something isn’t right listen to your gut. Yes they are medical professionals but sometimes things are missed. Always make sure you feel its the right desision for you.

1 Like

Get second opinion…i was diagnosed my 24hr urine protein was 634…its very serious to have monitored…for myself they are doing weekly check ups and ultrasounds to check baby…oxygen to baby etc…also will not go over 37 weeks

1 Like

With my son I had high blood pressure and for that reason they did preeclampsia testing for myself. When the testing came back I had failed the preeclampsia testing but they knew my high blood pressure was not good for the baby. Check your actually blood pressure and monitor it. I’m currently pregnant with my second and I have days where I feel the same way and I let my doctor know but my blood pressure doesn’t spike.

You definitely should get a second opinion. Go with your instincts. I wish I had.

1 Like

Did you have a baseline labs? Have you had two blood pressure 140/90 or greater, Unless you’ve been diagnosed with chronic hypertension or gestational hypertension, that requires two readings Of 160/100 or more, more than 4 hours apart, they also Check more than just the protein levels. Also how far along are you? There’s only a handful of cases before 20 weeks. You can always get a second opinion for peace of mind to.

Definitely do. I ended up with severe preeclampsia with my second because they wouldn’t diagnose me until my 40 week appointment and they couldn’t induce me for hours after because it was so bad at that point I was a stroke risk and they didn’t have an icu, I also got an infection and started to hemorrhage after birth but I don’t know if that was because of the preeclampsia or because my body sucks at giving birth :joy:

1 Like

Get the second opinion. I had undiagnosed pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy. I had high blood pressure, swelling in my face and horrible headaches. I had an emergency c-section at 36 weeks, but my baby did not make through birth. I was on bed rest but I think it wasn’t enough, and when I was admitted for observation, my blood pressure was 175/105. If you feel something isn’t right, get checked out. I wish i would have.

2 Likes

Definitely get a second opinion. Your and your baby’s life may depend on it.

My doctor said anything over 400 is. Thats when I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago

If your guts telling you to do it do it. Always better to get confirmation anyways. So your not worried the whole time

If you feel like you should get a second opinion, then that’s what should matter not whether or not others think you should get a second opinion.
You know your body best and if you’re concerned then get a second opinion

That’s even worse .that’s your kidneys.they want you to have kidney failure while pregnant

If you think something is wrong then get a second opinion, but I don’t think your doctor is going to lie to you or put your life and baby’s life in danger.

Advocate for yourself! I had pre-e with my first and with my second I had the same symptoms…No one would listen and after two weeks of blood pressure checks they kept pulling me around about induction. I was 40 weeks when they finally induced. But my blood pressures were high 6-7 times, headaches and all. No protein in urine but finally a doctor listened and said “nope she has hypertension and needs to be induced now”. Always advocate for yourself.

If you feel like you should get a second opinion - definitely do ,you can’t be too cautious with yours and your baby’s life

Definitely a 2nd opinion.

I you have any kind of doubt baby get a second opinion.

Definitely would! I had gestational hypertension. They had to get my baby at 37 weeks and I was on bed rest. It can be really dangerous for you and the baby

Definitely seek a 2nd opinion. Luckily I didnt end up with preeclampsia, but I did have gestational hypertension. They induced with me. If i didnt have gestational hypertension, I would’ve went to my induction date. Again, seek a 2nd opinion, especially if you arent close to your due date.

I got tested for it and was told I didn’t have it. Then low and behold I got post partum preeclampsia. It was awful.

Definitely get a second opinion. I had preeclampsia during my 1st pregnancy. Around 28 weeks I started showing signs & my OBGYN just kept having me go in to get checked but never tried to control it. 3 days before my daughter was born I was put in the hospital & would of had to stay for the next month but I was scheduled an immediate appointment & spoke with my high Risk OB & she examined me just to go against my other OBs orders & induce me at 36 weeks. She came a month early! The preeclampsia was taking a toll on my body & my OBGYN never believed me. He just wanted me on bed rest. After the epidural my blood pressure went crazy & my daughter heart rate dropped drastically & had to have an emergency C-section. With this pregnancy I will start preeclampsia testing now at 10 weeks so just in case I start showing signs they can control it. I am really hoping for a easier pregnancy with his baby! :pray:t3:

I would get another opinion from a high risk OB. If left unmanaged you could go into early labor and need an emergency c section. Pre-eclampsia can be very dangerous

Yes! I had all of this ended having severe preclampsia that wasn’t found till 36 weeks I had constant high protien and the 24 was drastically high! They took her seriously weeks early due to my blood pressure got so high. I literally showed up to hospital for a stress test and found I had severe preclampsia and with in 4 hours had my kiddo

I don’t have kids yet, but I am of the opinion that if you feel you need a second opinion, go for it. No matter what it is.

Yes over 300 is considered preeclampsia…Had it with all 3 of my babies

Get a second opinion

Get a second opinion it wouldn’t hurt

If you feel you should get a second opinion then you absolutely should always follow your intuition

1 Like

If you feel you should get a second opinion do it. There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. But if you can’t trust whoever you’re seeing for your pregnancy you should see someone else

Go with your gut mama if you feel like you need a second opinion then get one.

1 Like

Yes!! Get the second opinion. I had it and didn’t know and had similar symptoms.

Any time you feel you need a second opinion, do it. For your peace of mind.